Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: "Snow screen", next to the air filter either dying or dead(with hole in it). Where to buy (or repair)?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat 1.8t, sedan.
      08-28-2010 06:06 PM #1
      I have Passat '03, 1.8T .

I am not sure whether my screen has hole in it or not, but even if it is not, it is close to it. I am going to change air filter soon and would like to fix it.

Dealership said it is not separate part and I could buy whole air box for $320

What's my options: repair, junk yard or may be someone has one laying around? I would buy it. I need just screen.

Thanks.
      I am looking for a job in Transportation, Logistics, Distribution or International Trade. Analysis, Planning, Operations.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-28-2010 07:25 PM #2
      Your dealer is right - unbelievably, the part is not available separately. However, the part is far from critical; most people, and my dealer, routinely take them off and throw them away. I was able to get a couple of spares from my dealer (and I'm keeping them, thank you) but aside from that, a salvage yard is it.

Vehicles
      Stage 2 '03 Passat 1.8t, '91 Passat 16V Variant, 1977 Jawa 350
      08-28-2010 08:49 PM #3
      you really dont even need that stupid thing and for that $$ or busting your head trying to find a scrap one its not worth it, mine had a hole in it and most of the mesh was well... gone so i just took it out, theres a little spring loaded port on the bottom of the airbox anyway that lets in leaves and dust and grime anyway so it doesnt really matter. if you still have the stock grill its sort of impossible for snow or anything to get in there anyway because the snorkel is blocked by fake openings anyway. on my badgeless grill those holes are opened so i guess i really could have gained a hp or 2 from putting it in
      Long live the SCüMWAGON!

IG: @captain_scum

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 1.8T 4Mo 5M
      08-28-2010 11:32 PM #4
      Another way of looking at it is this: what's the volume of crud the prescreen stops versus the amount of crud you find in the bottom of the airbox (that "gets by" through the flapper at the bottom, since the stock airbox is otherwise well sealed)?

I vacuum mine out every 6 months or so and I'd guess the volume of stuff I pull out that is stopped by the prescreen is about the same as the amount I find lying in the bottom of the airbox.

Grossly, I'd guess that means my intake air filter is less plugged and ultimately lets through less crud onto the MAF and on into the throttle body than it would be without the prescreen.

Who knows what difference it really makes? I don't. But that's why I keep it.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster, 2014 Tiguan SEL 4MO, 1995 Ford F350 4X4
      08-31-2010 03:30 AM #5
      My experience - I just did the 40k service on my bone stock 03 1.8T. I did the air filter change and I was amazed at the amount of crud built up in front of the screen. A few weeks later I replace the P side low beam lamp and there was a crap load of stuff there again. I'd swear my wife was off-roading wth it. So if you ask me it probably helps to vacuum that screen regularly (about once a month or so) just to help the filter last a little longer. I wouldn't worry about the screen too much unless it had a giant hole in it and you ran without an air filter.

The flapper opens up when the screen is plugged.