Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a car lift

1. Banned
      08-31-2010 12:31 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      As far as I'm concerned I see no reason to get a drive-on lift for anything but stacking parked cars.
      I dont know about this, i would love to have this drive on lift.

Vehicles
      2007 focus SE, 65 vette sting ray, 00' S class
      08-31-2010 12:36 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by gintaras View Post
      Just to add to your decision making ammo, the only benefit I can think of that a 4 post has over a 2 post is that you can use a 4 post for long term storage, you probably wouldn't want to do that with a 2 post with arms because you wouldn't want your suspension hanging for weeks or months at a time..

Be aware that i am not trying to swing you either way, just supplying info. I think a 2 post is better for mechanics because it is easier to maneuver around, and a 4 post is better for storage, you can lift your vehicle, set the locks to take the load off of the hydraulic system and then store items underneath.

If I had a shop I would want a 2 post, but as a homeowner I am happy with the drive-on 4 post, as they say, YMMV
      Again, thanks man, all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to get a well-rounded view. But the more I look at it, the more both of these pros and cons kind of add up. I guess when it comes down to it I have to decide which one I would use more. Though the 4 post has usefulness even when not in use!

Vehicles
      08-31-2010 02:00 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by IHateSpeedBumps View Post
      I dont know about this, i would love to have this drive on lift.
      What kind of lift is that? It doesn't have the four posts that a lot of drive-ons have, and looks a little more narrow! I wonder what the specs are on it.

4. Banned
      08-31-2010 02:04 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by torquepower85 View Post
      What kind of lift is that? It doesn't have the four posts that a lot of drive-ons have, and looks a little more narrow! I wonder what the specs are on it.
      That is a Hunter laser alignment rack

Vehicles
      08-31-2010 03:32 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by IHateSpeedBumps View Post
      That is a Hunter laser alignment rack
      That looks like a solid lift. Doesn't look very portable, but apparently it gives the added ability of wheel alignment with some laser attachments you put on each wheel. Very neat gadget imo! Thanks for sharing

Vehicles
      09-02-2010 06:48 PM #41
      So I found this link.

Apparently they're coming out with a new line. Anyone got any info on this?

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      09-02-2010 09:43 PM #42
      So how long are the actual anchor bolts on the MaxJax? I totally see how 2>4 legs but I'd want those bitches anchored to the bedrock if possible
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      TCL 1991 edition - Can't afford a CRX, what would TCL do: Hyundai Scoupe vs. Toyota Paseo vs. Geo Storm

Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      09-02-2010 10:35 PM #43
      I'm lovin' that 4 post with bridge jack idea. Lets face it, no matter how bad ass of a mechanic you think you are, unless you're an actual professional that uses two posters day in and day out there will always be a bit of sketch factor there. The 4 post also looks way easier to use with slammed cars and seems as if it would make for quick oil changes.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

9. Banned
      09-02-2010 11:14 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post
      The 4 post also looks way easier to use with slammed cars and seems as if it would make for quick oil changes.
      Yes the 2 posts suck for low cars. The arms are huge/thick and can be a pain to position. I spent 4 years dealing with them.

Vehicles
      09-03-2010 12:07 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      So how long are the actual anchor bolts on the MaxJax? I totally see how 2>4 legs but I'd want those bitches anchored to the bedrock if possible
      Fc = 3000psi (Strength of concrete)

# bolts in tension = 3

Anchor Bolt Ultimate Strength = 12,580 lbs. PD58, 5/8" Wej-It Drop in Anchor, installed in 3000psi concrete per manufacturer's instructions.

The drop-in anchors for all MaxJax™ lifts are 5/8" diameter x 4" long. A rotary hammer drill, a 5/8" concrete for a pilot hole, and a 7/8" concrete bit for the drop-anchors are required for installation.

got this from the website

Vehicles
      09-07-2010 02:57 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post
      I'm lovin' that 4 post with bridge jack idea. Lets face it, no matter how bad ass of a mechanic you think you are, unless you're an actual professional that uses two posters day in and day out there will always be a bit of sketch factor there. The 4 post also looks way easier to use with slammed cars and seems as if it would make for quick oil changes.
      Thanks for the idea love! The 4 post definitely looks like its the winner

12. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      09-07-2010 04:34 PM #47
      You are gonna hate it. A lift that's only good for oil changes... the cost of a lift will pay for a ton of oil changes..
      exklusiv

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      09-07-2010 05:08 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      You are gonna hate it. A lift that's only good for oil changes... the cost of a lift will pay for a ton of oil changes..
      That's such a crock of ****. You can do plenty on a 4 post with a bridge jack.. I'll admit, a 2 post is better for dropping a complete front subframe with the motor, but other than that, there's really nothing you can't do on a 4 post. Saying its only good for changing oil is a bit retarded.

On that note, I have a 4 post Bendpak HD9-XW on order, and a Bendpak RJ-45 rolling bridge jack that just showed up last week to go with it.
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

14. Banned
      09-07-2010 05:09 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      I hate idiots

Vehicles
      09-07-2010 05:33 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
      On that note, I have a 4 post Bendpak HD9-XW on order, and a Bendpak RJ-45 rolling bridge jack that just showed up last week to go with it.
      Righteous man! Let me know how those lifts work out as I am truly interested.

16. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bt, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      09-07-2010 05:39 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by bosoxfan455 View Post
      the only time i even wish for a drive on is when im doing an oil change on a lowered car and it takes longer to get it on the lift than do the actual change.

buy the 2 post never look back
      this

while lots of things can be done on a 4 post... they can be done MUCH easier on a 2 post

09-07-2010 05:46 PM #52
      2 post all day everyday. MUCH easier to work on stuff with it.

Vehicles
      09-07-2010 06:06 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by IntrstlarOvrdrve View Post
      2 post all day everyday. MUCH easier to work on stuff with it.
      I see, just because of the constrictions that the 4 post offers? I could definitely see where you're coming from.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '95 Five.Oh, '90 F 3-Fiddy, '90 Protege LX
      09-07-2010 06:58 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      I'd say go with a 4 post lift and you'll be happier in the long run!
      No, a thousand times. If you work on your car doing anything beyond pulling rwd transmissions, a 4 post is a pain in the ass. They're fine if you just want to park 2 cars in the foot print of one, my dad has one just for that. If you want to work on anything like you'd normally use a lift for though, you still end up needing jacks and jack stands

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 12:58 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Trike Kid View Post
      No, a thousand times. If you work on your car doing anything beyond pulling rwd transmissions, a 4 post is a pain in the ass. They're fine if you just want to park 2 cars in the foot print of one, my dad has one just for that. If you want to work on anything like you'd normally use a lift for though, you still end up needing jacks and jack stands
      That's true, there's bridge jack attachments but they are not cheap. I am debating the functionality of the 2 post vs. the 4 post and I keep coming back to the 4 post having a function when not in use, and it saves me a ton of space (potentially); whereas a 2 post is generally smaller, and with the maxjax it also potentially saves me a ton of space.

Vehicles
      '99.5 TDI Golf 2dr / '08 Volvo V50 T5 / '81 Rabbit Truck
      09-08-2010 01:46 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      this

while lots of things can be done on a 4 post... they can be done MUCH easier on a 2 post
      agreed 100%.

I have worked under both. A friend of mine has a 4-post drive on with a bridge jack... as stated before it's more useful for car storage, but wrenching with that thing is a pain in the ass.

Yes you CAN do work on it, but you're constantly working around the F'ing ramp sections. The 2 post makes it SO much easier to actually access the suspension areas of your car freely without smacking your head or having to position your arms awkwardly around stuff.

...and for those saying it's easier to drive on a lowered car... it's still slower. You still have to position the bridge jack after the car is on the ramp to do any work anyways. Plus as mentioned... if you simply put wood on the floor down and drive your car up onto that (same as you would to put a floor jack under it) then you can simply position the 2 post in, lift and wrench.

My Golf is on Koni coilovers turned within 1/4" of bottom and I MUCH prefer to work on it on the 2-post hoist I have access to vs. my friend's 4-post drive on with bridge jack.

My 2 pennies from someone who has actually worked as a hobbyist on both. If you simply want to drive on and store cars, get the 4-post. if your primary motivation of buying is wrenching, get the 2-post. I have also done a full suspension swapout on both, and found the 2-post to be waaaay easier to work with. store cars = 4-post. work on cars = 2-post.

which would you rather work under? (especially in a garage without a ton of floor space...)

Last edited by grounded87; 09-08-2010 at 02:07 PM.
      -Nick V

22. 09-08-2010 02:16 PM #57
      I've run a 12 bay shop for the last 15 years.

I will buy only Rotary brand. I tried BendPak and it was a POS. Made in China as are a LOT of the lifts out there.

The majority of my lifts are asymmetrical two posts. We have a couple 12,000lb 4-posts with rolling jacks which enable us to lift a car off the ramps. They serve a purpose, but are huge and take up a lot of space. I prefer to work on a two post.

I don't like portable lifts as they're very unstable.

If you get a two post make sure you have 3.5" inches of concrete to drill into. Not as important with a 4 post as there's not nearly as much torsional stress trying to rip the feet out of the floor.

BTW, Rotary has low profile adapters for the arms so you can use them with low vehicles.

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 03:01 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by grounded87 View Post
      agreed 100%.

I have worked under both. A friend of mine has a 4-post drive on with a bridge jack... as stated before it's more useful for car storage, but wrenching with that thing is a pain in the ass.

Yes you CAN do work on it, but you're constantly working around the F'ing ramp sections. The 2 post makes it SO much easier to actually access the suspension areas of your car freely without smacking your head or having to position your arms awkwardly around stuff.

...and for those saying it's easier to drive on a lowered car... it's still slower. You still have to position the bridge jack after the car is on the ramp to do any work anyways. Plus as mentioned... if you simply put wood on the floor down and drive your car up onto that (same as you would to put a floor jack under it) then you can simply position the 2 post in, lift and wrench.

My Golf is on Koni coilovers turned within 1/4" of bottom and I MUCH prefer to work on it on the 2-post hoist I have access to vs. my friend's 4-post drive on with bridge jack.

My 2 pennies from someone who has actually worked as a hobbyist on both. If you simply want to drive on and store cars, get the 4-post. if your primary motivation of buying is wrenching, get the 2-post. I have also done a full suspension swapout on both, and found the 2-post to be waaaay easier to work with. store cars = 4-post. work on cars = 2-post.

which would you rather work under? (especially in a garage without a ton of floor space...)

Great info. Thanks for the feedback man! Also @CFster, have you had any experience with a portable lift or do you just avoid them? Just out of curiosity, I'm not trying to discredit your experience level or anything.

09-08-2010 03:19 PM #59
      I see, just because of the constrictions that the 4 post offers? I could definitely see where you're coming from.
      Yes, I basically echo what others have said. Four post lifts are cool if you just want to stack cars, I know others have said they've done suspension and everything else on a 4 post, but it's not nearly as convenient. Look at the pics working on that mkIV on the previous page, tell me that it looks comfortable leaning over those ramps. Lowered cars be damned, I guarantee I've put cars far lower than what people are bitching about on 2 post lifts, they make ramps that you can pull onto to allow extra clearance, as well as 2x4's.

Before anyone calls me out, yes, I have worked on cars using both lifts and I find that 2 post is more convenient time after time. With a 2 post style you've got the entire underside of the car exposed, wheelwells fully exposed etc. I've also used 2 posts to lift car bodies from their frames, pass engines and subframes out from the car without having to remove the front of the car and all sorts of other jobs that I could not have done with a 4 post. Just check the balance of the car and always be aware of what you're yanking on/off the car and you'll be fine.

*One thing to keep in mind though when choosing lift styles is that 2 post lifts require that the concrete be a certain depth (I can't remember anymore) whereas a 4 post will just sit on top of the floor.*
      Last edited by IntrstlarOvrdrve; 09-08-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      09-08-2010 04:09 PM #60
      Sure 2 posts are more convenient for working on cars, but to say a 4 post is useless for working on cars is BS.
      That said... I would NEVER park my 2nd car on a 2 post lift.

So I'll take 365 days of indoor parking for my track car, without having to knock my head on hanging tires, or banging my doors into the rails....
      The minor inconvenience that comes with working with the 4 post vs a 2 post for the shadetree homeowner is nothing.

FWIW, I've done multiple suspension installs, a transmission removal, alternator removal, belts, hoses, oil changes, etc on mine.

Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 04:17 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Sure 2 posts are more convenient for working on cars, but to say a 4 post is useless for working on cars is BS.
      That said... I would NEVER park my 2nd car on a 2 post lift.

So I'll take 365 days of indoor parking for my track car, without having to knock my head on hanging tires, or banging my doors into the rails....
      The minor inconvenience that comes with working with the 4 post vs a 2 post for the shadetree homeowner is nothing.

FWIW, I've done multiple suspension installs, a transmission removal, alternator removal, belts, hoses, oil changes, etc on mine.

Awesome, some 4 post love. You would say that a 4 post serves just as much functionality as a 2 post?

Also I noticed you have a bendpak lift, do you have any feedback on the quality/longevity or any brand-related issues? I know a few people have different opinions about the brand and I'm thinking/hoping that it's a good purchase; just wondering if you had a 2 cents on the brand.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      09-08-2010 04:34 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by CFster View Post
      I've run a 12 bay shop for the last 15 years.

I will buy only Rotary brand. I tried BendPak and it was a POS. Made in China as are a LOT of the lifts out there.
      THIS!

I love my Rotary's - properly installed they seem to be the best and most stable. I only paid about $3200 each for the 3 I have. Evolution Motorsports which is down the way from me has 10 cheap ass "Eagle Equipment" (iirc) and they seem to have a lot of movement in them that I wouldn't feel comfortable with and neither did my old roomate who was a tech at EVOMs. Especially with 100K cars on them. Seems they should have spend less on the fancy show room they have and more on good shop equipment.

As far as vehicle storage goes. My shop is much busier you'd expect to be run out of a 3000sq ft space so every night cars are put in the air and stored so we can squeeze 10 cars inside. We also have a life we've designated as the storage rack and there have been time where long term projects have stayed in the air for 3 months. 7 years of this without issue.
      Last edited by ..Derek..; 09-08-2010 at 04:40 PM.
      exklusiv

28. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bt, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      09-08-2010 04:43 PM #63
      You would say that a 4 post serves just as much functionality as a 2 post?
      impossible

and ill keep saying it... as someone whos spent lots of time under both, and currently owns a 2 post

picture of the shop

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 05:42 PM #64
      Awesome, some 4 post love. You would say that a 4 post serves just as much functionality as a 2 post?
      Different functionality.
      With a 4 post... You can work on a car, but there are some drawbacks. But it's much better than not having a lift at all.
      With a 2 post, I would NEVER park a car on it, and would never want to deal with those 2 big columns right at your doors if you parked under it.

So for my needs, the 4 post was far more functional, as I need it to perform both parking and working duties.

Also I noticed you have a bendpak lift, do you have any feedback on the quality/longevity or any brand-related issues? I know a few people have different opinions about the brand and I'm thinking/hoping that it's a good purchase; just wondering if you had a 2 cents on the brand.
      I'm super happy with mine. I've had it for 5 years, and it goes up and down on average two or three times a week. (Pretty typical hobbyist duty) So far, I've never had a single problem. Cables are still in great shape, the ram is smooth and doesn't leak. All I have to do is give it an occasional spray of light lube. I pulled the bearing pins this spring to check for wear, and there was none. I do have 220V service to it though, so it's quicker than a 110V unit.

Are there better lifts out there? Absolutely, but it's worlds better than any of the Chinese lifts that have decidedly "American" sounding website names. And I have no doubt that it would survive much tougher use than I put it through. If you have a shop, a Rotary is probably a better bet. But they're also a chunk more change.
      Last edited by Surf Green; 09-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Vehicles
      '99.5 TDI Golf 2dr / '08 Volvo V50 T5 / '81 Rabbit Truck
      09-08-2010 05:54 PM #65
      Different functionality.
      With a 4 post... You can work on a car, but there are some drawbacks. But it's much better than not having a lift at all..
      agreed.

With a 2 post, I would NEVER park a car on it, and would never want to deal with those 2 big columns right at your doors if you parked under it.

counterpoint... if you buy an assymetrical 2-post lift the columns will not be next to your doors, they will be more or less at your mirrors. also... why would you "NEVER" park a car on it? are you concerned about suspension being unloaded? I've known project cars to spend months hanging in the air on them, and a few who put their toy cars in the air on them for winter...

not trying to argue, I am just intrigued as to what you find so bad about parking a car in the air on a 2 post hoist?
      -Nick V

31. Member
      Vehicles
      13' 4-dr GTI
      09-08-2010 06:01 PM #66
      I have had my eyes on kwik lift for awhile, seems like a great compromise drive-on ramp system that can me moved off to the side. There is a center bar so you can use a bottle jack for tranny/pan stuff, and it is pretty cheap...and can be powdercoated any of a number of colors.

http://www.kwiklift.com/

Vehicles
      originR
      09-08-2010 06:05 PM #67
      Different functionality.
      With a 4 post... You can work on a car, but there are some drawbacks. But it's much better than not having a lift at all.

So for my needs, the 4 post was far more functional, as I need it to perform both parking and working duties.

I'm super happy with mine. I've had it for 5 years, and it goes up and down on average two or three times a week. (Pretty typical hobbyist duty) So far, I've never had a single problem. Cables are still in great shape, the ram is smooth and doesn't leak. All I have to do is give it an occasional spray of light lube. I pulled the bearing pins this spring to check for wear, and there was none. I do have 220V service to it though, so it's quicker than a 110V unit.

Are there better lifts out there? Absolutely, but it's worlds better than any of the Chinese lifts that have decidedly "American" sounding website names. And I have no doubt that it would survive much tougher use than I put it through. If you have a shop, a Rotary is probably a better bet. But they're also a chunk more change.
      Great post, OP needs to decide for himself, just take everything said and make your own conclusion, you'll be happy with either one, you just need to weight the pro/cons of both and go from there.

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 06:24 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by grounded87 View Post
      not trying to argue, I am just intrigued as to what you find so bad about parking a car in the air on a 2 post hoist?
      I prefer my car to be suspended by tires, like nature intended.
      4 post lifts are more stable, and put less stress on the garage floor. I can climb up and get into my car... open and close the doors without worrying
      I know there are project cars left for months with their wheels hanging down, right at the level of my bald head. That's fine if that's what the shop's customer wants... But that's just not for me.

If OP only has a 108" ceiling... storage probably isn't for him though. I've got 15 feet. (Which is an 8 foot stepladder on the lift when I need to change the light bulb.)

Apparently, I just realized that Bendpak began outsourcing in 2008. But assuming they're still using 3" rams, and are keeping a tight hold over quality... it is possible to get quality out of China.... but if they leave them alone, for even a second.... I'll just say I'm glad I got mine in 05.

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 06:48 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by gintaras View Post
      Great post, OP needs to decide for himself, just take everything said and make your own conclusion, you'll be happy with either one, you just need to weight the pro/cons of both and go from there.
      Definitely! Honestly I posted this on a couple forums and you guys were the only people to give me the amount of feedback that you did. It's definitely going to help a lot in my decision making and I wanna thank all of you guys for your input.

Still, as I haven't decided, I would love to hear ANY remaining opinions related to the subject at hand.

Vehicles
      09-08-2010 06:55 PM #70
      I prefer my car to be suspended by tires, like nature intended.
      4 post lifts are more stable, and put less stress on the garage floor. I can climb up and get into my car... open and close the doors without worrying
      I know there are project cars left for months with their wheels hanging down, right at the level of my bald head. That's fine if that's what the shop's customer wants... But that's just not for me.

If OP only has a 108" ceiling... storage probably isn't for him though. I've got 15 feet. (Which is an 8 foot stepladder on the lift when I need to change the light bulb.)

Apparently, I just realized that Bendpak began outsourcing in 2008. But assuming they're still using 3" rams, and are keeping a tight hold over quality... it is possible to get quality out of China.... but if they leave them alone, for even a second.... I'll just say I'm glad I got mine in 05.
      I was aware of that last part, but if you go to garagejournal and type in bendpak on the search function it shows a lot of positive feedback. Which is definitely keeping me hopeful in keeping it as a contender in this lift decision.

Also @ Lawrider, do you know of anyone who owns a kwiklift that could give some feedback? On a wider note, does anyone who reads this have any feedback on the kwiklift?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast