Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: VCDS (Vag-Com) for Beginners

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:18 PM #1
      DISCLAIMER: The following guide, technique, images, screenshots, dialogue, instructions, requests, and information in this thread are not guaranteed, warrantied, or ensured to work on all vehicles, your vehicle, or any vehicle. Users proceed at their own risk. Poster is not responsible for any errors, accidents, negligent or reckless behavior, or any other behavior conducted by the user regarding any information in this thread.

After looking through this thread here I realized that while there is a lot of great information in that thread, unless you are handy with VCDS, or know how it works, most of that will fly right over people's heads. For those of you that don't own VCDS, you will rely on a local person or shop to take care of the coding for you, and it is likely that they won't know how to do this stuff without looking it up.

So...I tried to make it a little bit easier for people to get their desired results. The codings that I used applies to my JSW (no fogs, no xenons) so those that are similarly equipped, these will work for you as well. For those with GTIs/Golfs with fogs and/or xenons, things will be somewhat different and the original thread can be resourced for the differences...

Table of Contents
      1. Central electronics
      2. Instruments

First and foremost, I am assuming that you have a vagcom cable and VCDS setup on a laptop/desktop. For help regarding this, contact the friendly and helpful staff at Ross-Tech.

Secondly, thanks to everyone at Ross-Tech for their cables, software, and love for everything that is modification.
      Last edited by Code3VW; 09-05-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:19 PM #2
      1a & b. Central Electroncis > Auto Lock and Unlock doors - when the vehicle is started, the doors will automatically lock; when the vehicle is turned off, the doors will automatically unlock.

1. Open VCDS and click on “SELECT” under Select Control Module. You should have a screen like below, if not, contact the friendly and helpful staff at Ross-Tech.

2. Now, since we are accessing the options for the Central Electronics module, click “09-Cent.Electr.”

3. At this point, we will be clicking “Coding – 07”

4. A box like below should pop up. DO NOT SIMPLY COPY MY LONG CODE. Click “Long Coding Helper.”

5. Below you will have the option to enable or disable each of these. They are Bit 1 and Bit 2 of Byte 0.

6. When you are done, hit “Exit.”

7. Now, hit “Do it!”

8. It should say “Coding Accepted.”

9. Congratulations, you are done!

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:19 PM #3
      1c. Central Electronics > Comfort Operation via Remote Control active – allows the remote keyfob to roll down the windows by holding UNLOCK and roll up the windows holding LOCK.

1. Open VCDS and click on “SELECT” under Select Control Module. You should have a screen like below, if not, contact the friendly and helpful staff at Ross-Tech.

2. Now, since we are accessing the options for the Central Electronics module, click “09-Cent.Electr.”

4. A box like below should pop up. DO NOT SIMPLY COPY MY LONG CODE. Click “Long Coding Helper.”

5. Now, click on the Bytes (little black windows with two green alphanumerics) next to the 3. For this one, we will be clicking BYTE 3 (window 4, as BYTE 0 is window 1). Check Bit 5 “Comfort Operation via Remote Control active.”

6. When you are done, hit “Exit.” You do not have to return to Byte 0 to do this, you can do it right from Byte 3.

7. Now, hit “Do it!”

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:20 PM #4
      1d. Footwell Lighting – allows the footwell lighting in the interior of the vehicle to be illuminated when the headlights are on. Adds the footwell lighting menu to the MFA. Allows users to brighten or darken the footwell lighting in 5% intervals on the MFA.

5. Now, click on the Bytes (little black windows with two green alphanumerics) next to the 3. For this one, we will be clicking BYTE 12 (window 13, as BYTE 0 is window 1) and BYTE 20 (window 21).
      For BYTE 12 check “Footwell Lights with Terminal 58d active.”

For BYTE20 check “Footwell Lights Installed.”

6. When you are done, hit “Exit.” You do not have to return to Byte 0 to do this, you can do it right from Byte 12 or 20.

7. Now, hit “Do it!”

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:20 PM #5
      1e. Central Electronics > Disable Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

5. Now, click on the Bytes (little black windows with two green alphanumerics) next to the 3. For this one, we will be clicking BYTE 15 (window 16, as BYTE 0 is window 1). Uncheck Bit 6 “Daytime Running Light (DRL) via separate Lights active.”

6. When you are done, hit “Exit.” You do not have to return to Byte 0 to do this, you can do it right from Byte 15.

7. Now, hit “Do it!”

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:21 PM #6
      1f. Central Electronics > Enable comfort light (blinking) and change number of blinks (minimum 1, maximum 5). This one is a bit more complicated, but nothing we can’t handle!

5. Now, click on the Bytes (little black windows with two green alphanumerics) next to the 3. For this one, we will be clicking BYTE 16 (window 17, as BYTE 0 is window 1). Check Bit 0 “Comfort Blinking (Highway Blinking) active.”

6. When you are done, hit “Exit.” You do not have to return to Byte 0 to do this, you can do it right from Byte 16.

7. Now, hit “Do it!”

9. Congratulations, you are halfway done!

10. Now, click on “Adaptation – 10”

11. A window like below will open.

12. Click on the drop down menu and select “Comfort Turn Signals (cycles).” In the “NEW VALUE” window, hit up or down to your desired selection. For me, 3 blinks wasn’t enough to activate, double check the lane was clear, and completely enter the lane. 5 should work! Then hit “SAVE” and then “DONE, GO BACK.”

13. Congratulations, you are done!
      Last edited by Code3VW; 09-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 02:22 PM #7
      2a-c. Disable/Enable Brakepad Warning, Seatbelt Warning, and Windshield Washer Fluid Warning.

2. Now, since we are accessing the options for the Instruments module, click “17-Cent.Electr.”

4. A box like below should pop up. DO NOT SIMPLY COPY MY LONG CODE. Click “Long Coding Helper.” Below is the Long Code window for Central Electronics. It will look similar for Instruments, however, the long code is much shorter.

5. Below you will have the option to enable or disable each of these. Do so by checking or unchecking the bits.

6. When you are done, hit “Exit.”

7. Now, hit “Do it!”

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Rusty n' Not Reliable
      09-05-2010 02:44 PM #8
      Nice thread. I also have a long list of vcds for beginners on my site with screenshots.

speedometer adjustment: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...ustment-VW.htm
      remote windows with demo videos: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...Golf-Jetta.htm
      how to disable the DRL: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...golf-jetta.htm
      emergency brake flashers: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...ergency-vw.htm
      adjusting the mpg gauge: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...y-gauge-VW.htm
      door chime: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...golf-jetta.htm
      tpms sensor reset (it looks like 2011 models (at least the TDI) go back to ABS sensor system): http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...g-light-vw.htm
      I haven't gotten around to the writeup for adjusting the comfort blinkers yet you beat me to it.

General index of DIY for VW Golf TDI: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...-DIY-index.htm

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-05-2010 03:09 PM #9
      Nice work brother.

Question: On my B6 Passat, windows via remote would roll them down for as long as you were holding unlock, but rolled them all the way up as long as you initiated the roll-up by holding lock. On the MKVI, for both up and down you must hold the button for as long as you want it to go. I preferred the way it was on the B6--I rarely don't want to roll my windows all the way up--and find it annoying that I have to hold the lock button as I walk away from my car. Anything buried in VCDS that can change this behavior?

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 03:11 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by santos. View Post
      Nice work brother.

Question: On my B6 Passat, windows via remote would roll them down for as long as you were holding unlock, but rolled them all the way up as long as you initiated the roll-up by holding lock. On the MKVI, for both up and down you must hold the button for as long as you want it to go. I preferred the way it was on the B6--I rarely don't want to roll my windows all the way up--and find it annoying that I have to hold the lock button as I walk away from my car. Anything buried in VCDS that can change this behavior?
      Thanks!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything like that...even checking the adaptation didn't help...Maybe it is a safety feature?

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-05-2010 03:18 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post
      Thanks!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything like that...even checking the adaptation didn't help...Maybe it is a safety feature?
      Didn't think so... Screw safety, my remote batteries are going to run out way faster now!

12. 09-05-2010 03:51 PM #12
      This is great info. Thanks a lot

13. 09-05-2010 06:51 PM #13
      If somebody wants to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNMr5X4Vqc

Here is how:

In Vag Com: Address 17 Instruments, Adaptation 10, Select "Staging" from the drop down list, select "Active" from the drop down list....done
      Last edited by jcg85@yahoo.com; 09-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.

14. 09-05-2010 07:08 PM #14
      Thanks for taking the time to outline everything OP. Quite a useful thread!

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 07:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jcg85@yahoo.com View Post
      If somebody wants to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcNMr5X4Vqc

Here is how:

In Vag Com: Address 17 Instruments, Adaptation 10, Select "Staging" from the drop down list, select "Active" from the drop down list....done
      Just a heads up...this does not work on all clusters as outlined in the 3 page thread about clusters. And unfortunately, it does not work on mine...no "staging" in the drop down list.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-05-2010 07:29 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by HF07 View Post
      Thanks for taking the time to outline everything OP. Quite a useful thread!
      You are most welcome. I didn't think it would take as long as it did though!

I'll have other DIYs done as the mods start arriving in the mail.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      10-11-2010 08:10 AM #17
      I was asked to post these here. If the MODs think this is unnecessary, please delete this post. If the MODs want to copy these images to this site for stability, you have my permission.

This is not a DIY. It is only screen shots for reference. The only MODs that these reflect are windows via key fob and allow windows to work after opening the door..

gap
      Last edited by iamgap; 10-11-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: memory loss. :)

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI/CW
      10-11-2010 10:51 AM #18
      wow

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 4dr RB .:R
      10-11-2010 11:02 AM #19
      Great job code!

20. 10-11-2010 11:11 AM #20
      Thanks again for all the info. Any other helpful Vag Com tricks???

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      10-11-2010 04:50 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by jcg85@yahoo.com View Post
      Thanks again for all the info. Any other helpful Vag Com tricks???
      Uncheck Bit 4 in Byte 4 to allow opening of your doors while the windows are going up or down, after shutting of the car. I don't remember what the time limit is, but you can also roll up the windows after you have turned off the car, and opened a door.

gap

22. 10-11-2010 05:06 PM #22
      That's gooood, thanks

23. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVI GTI / BMW R1200GSA
      10-11-2010 09:00 PM #23
      Great stuff.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      10-12-2010 08:40 AM #24
      Those who have installed the Golf R LED tail lamps should add a DIY with screen shots.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      2010 MKVI GTI
      10-12-2010 09:59 AM #25
      Since this post is for noobs, which Vag-Com cable should I purchase (and where)? I've seen some on ebay, but not sure if they will work with mkvi gti. Thanks.

Vehicles
      2006 MkV Jetta
      10-12-2010 10:28 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by delasole View Post
      Since this post is for noobs, which Vag-Com cable should I purchase (and where)? I've seen some on ebay, but not sure if they will work with mkvi gti. Thanks.
      You want to purchase your cable from Ross-Tech. Anywhere else is a clone or copy. Clones/copies will work but there will be no software updates and it will turn out to be a waste of money.

Occasionaly a member will be selling a VagCom cable in the classifieds. Just make sure it is not a clone.
      2006 Jetta 2.5 GLI Sedan: OEM GLI body kit, TipTronic paddles, Power/Memory Seat, Premium Leather/heated interior, Sunroof, HomeLink, Auto-Dimming mirror, Rain Closing, Highline MFI, Blacked-out side markers, Blacked-out Grill, Alloy Wheels, OEM Silver Taillights (inner and outer converted to LED), Rear Window Sun Shade, Premium 7 6 Disc in-dash Stereo, Auto Headlights, Power Recline on Passenger Seat, Euro trunk handle deck release, Spice Red

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      10-16-2010 02:47 AM #27
      Like mentioned, don't waste your time or money on knockoffs.

I got mine from here. I went with this one.

28. 10-16-2010 03:08 AM #28
      ^^Got the same one coming tomorrow or Monday. Can't wait to get started, I feel like most of the little annoying things I dislike about my car can be disabled/fixed with VCDS.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      10-16-2010 09:29 AM #29
      If you only want to work on MKV or newer.

If you want to be able to work on all supported cars, like helpout friends or make extra money.

Buying one from either of the two links above gives you email tech support from Ross-Tech. They will even help you with coding for changes you would like to make. If it is possible, they will help you do it, or figure it out. Buying a knock-off can cause unexpected changes to your coding, or not make all available changes possible.

I also hev the second option.

gap
      Last edited by iamgap; 10-16-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typos

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI & 2002 Jetta TDI
      10-18-2010 12:54 PM #30
      Is there also an option to disable the horn beep "confirmation" when locking the doors with the fob? I want this gone and was about to start looking for info...

Vehicles
      2006 MkV Jetta
      10-18-2010 01:12 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by saucer View Post
      Is there also an option to disable the horn beep "confirmation" when locking the doors with the fob? I want this gone and was about to start looking for info...
      Yes, you can turn the beep on/off for lock or unlock with VagCom.
      2006 Jetta 2.5 GLI Sedan: OEM GLI body kit, TipTronic paddles, Power/Memory Seat, Premium Leather/heated interior, Sunroof, HomeLink, Auto-Dimming mirror, Rain Closing, Highline MFI, Blacked-out side markers, Blacked-out Grill, Alloy Wheels, OEM Silver Taillights (inner and outer converted to LED), Rear Window Sun Shade, Premium 7 6 Disc in-dash Stereo, Auto Headlights, Power Recline on Passenger Seat, Euro trunk handle deck release, Spice Red

Vehicles
      1985 Audi 4000s, 1998 Jetta TDI, 2010 MKVI GTI
      10-18-2010 03:41 PM #32
      Since this is a "beginner" thread, here's a beginner question:

Does anyone really write down the original values before changing them? Also, if I screw something up, is it pretty easy to just default to the original factory settings, or does mis-coding something render the car useless?

I don't have a VCDS cable yet, but would like to obtain my own and do my own coding.

Cheers,
      Kevin

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      10-18-2010 05:14 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by bigshoulders View Post

Does anyone really write down the original values before changing them? Also, if I screw something up, is it pretty easy to just default to the original factory settings, or does mis-coding something render the car useless?

I don't have a VCDS cable yet, but would like to obtain my own and do my own coding.

Cheers,
      Kevin
      I write them down and/or do full scans on cars before I start messing with coding...

As far as mis-coding something, if you are doing the long coding (with the checkmarks) you should be safe...if you just start making up coding and putting it in, it will either reject the coding and not save it, or it may accept it and I have heard of people being "locked out" of control modules...I've never had it happen to me, thankfully, but I play safe with the vag-com for the most part.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      10-18-2010 05:58 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by bigshoulders View Post

Cheers,
      Kevin
      I write them down and/or do full scans on cars before I start messing with coding...

As far as mis-coding something, if you are doing the long coding (with the checkmarks) you should be safe...if you just start making up coding and putting it in, it will either reject the coding and not save it, or it may accept it and I have heard of people being "locked out" of control modules...I've never had it happen to me, thankfully, but I play safe with the vag-com for the most part.
      I actually copy the original code, and paste it into a notepad file with the person's first name and what MOD was done.

gap

Vehicles
      1985 Audi 4000s, 1998 Jetta TDI, 2010 MKVI GTI
      10-19-2010 09:31 AM #35
      Thanks, guys.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast