Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Security - surveillance cameras for general home owners

Vehicles
      Evo IX
      04-26-2011 10:59 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      When I tested some IR cameras inside looking thru the glass before I mounted them outside you could see reflections of the IR's. They're kinda ghosted but the IR still passes thru the glass.

The optimal mounting location would be outside of course.
      Perfect. Thanks. Unfortunately mounting the camera outside is not an option right now. I'm only looking to mount 1 camera from my office window to overlook my driveway.

Are there any good USB IR camera that are worth looking into? Since my server is right next to the window, I can just plug it in.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      04-30-2011 03:29 AM #37
      I set up one of these for a guy about 4 years ago that had 8 cameras. We setup a standalone PC as a DVR. The power supply was standalone with a UPS to record for an hour or so after power was cut off. The PC went into a secure box with it's own UPS and it uploaded video to a remote server. So even if they cut power and destroyed the camera PC, we had evidence.

The cameras were pretty normal color day time/ infrared night time with the LED things and the domes. They worked ok, but you couldn't see the whole backyard at night. The best solution IMO is an infrared flood light that can shine all the time. A regular flood light with motion detector makes a flash and it takes the camera a while to adjust, and if you don't have a light on the camera can't see the motion to record. So if you just keep an infrared floodlight turned on it seems like the best. I dunno it depends on the situation and a lot of things.

But as far as I have seen, the cameras haven't improved dramatically. And that's really the biggest problem. The DVR's are nice, but you need decent quality video at all hours of the day.

Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      07-21-2011 12:09 PM #38
      Just a bump - I find even the expensive video cameras are pretty much useless for ID. Generally can't get plates, or faces. Does anyone have high MP cams that take 1 or 2 still pictures a second instead of full 15-30 fps video? Seems to me those would be more usable?

07-21-2011 12:29 PM #39
      Ive been wanting to get a 4cam setup with an 8channel dvr with room to add more cameras later. A big thing with clarity on these cheap cams is camera placement. Where you mount the camera can have a lot to do with IDing faces and plates etc.... however you dont want to mount them where they can be easily accessible is the problem. Up and out of the way means up and out of the way of IDing faces and plates too. Its a catch22. Like khryon said, ive seen multi thousand dollar cameras that can zoom in across an entire parking lot and read a windshield sticker but can't get a plate number on a car driving by during recorded playback.

Your gonna get into the few hundred dollar range for megapixel security cameras.

http://www.supercircuits.com/Securit...urity-Cameras/

check out the Arecont 2MP camera to get some ideas of the clarity you can get 1600x1200 images
      Up to 24 fps in HDTV-1080p mode (1920 x 1080)
      Price: $789.95
      http://store.videosurveillance.com/a...2815-ip-camera
      Last edited by jpr; 07-21-2011 at 12:33 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Adler v. Relynet
      THE COURT: Knighton was that strange guy; right?

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-21-2011 11:32 PM #40
      [QUOTE=jpr;72653109however you dont want to mount them where they can be easily accessible is the problem. Up and out of the way means up and out of the way of IDing faces and plates too. Its a catch22. [/QUOTE]

That's going off the assumption that your cameras can be easily tampered with. I setup an 8 camera system and all of the cameras over lapped so there were no blind spots. If you approached the house at any angle except from the sky, you'd be caught on multiple cameras. You couldn't approach one camera to spray paint it, smash it, etc without having a close-up of your face on the first one because they worked in back-to-back pairs and were put on walls. Yes they were pretty obvious, but the point was to create a strong image of security so that a potential thief would move on to the next house on the block.

After the cameras were setup I realized that everyone's seen the movies where they just steal the tape and this system is useless if they get the tapes. So instead of a VCR or DVR we used a PC with a PCI camera board that could watch up to 8 cameras. It came with the software to manage it all. The computer transmitted the video to a remote location as long as it had a working Internet connection. But realizing that wasn't exactly perfect either, I had the home owner weld me up a custom armored box for the computer. He was a fabricator so it was easy for him to make something that you couldn't move or break into without some serious hardware. We threw a UPS in the box too to give us a little extra time in case someone cut off the power. The cameras also had their own UPS but it was too big to go in with the computer.

That was way cheaper and easier than trying to setup a foolproof camera location with a super high quality camera. All 8 of my cameras still didn't cost as much one Arecont 2MP camera. I could've even just bought another PCI board and expanded to 16 cameras if needed and the PC had the capacity for it.

I wouldn't say this house was high security. Cameras won't stop a smash and grab and there were 2 sliding glass doors which are known to be easy to break into. It was just a normal house with cameras.

08-01-2011 05:01 PM #41
      i hear what your sayin.

The good vandal proof cameras are virtually indestructible. Ive seen people whack these things with aluminum bats and 2x4's and metal pipes and they dont break. All you need is a high enough location to where an over average height person would have a hard time reaching without a lot of effort.

I guess its more of a preference thing but I would rather have a couple really good cameras than a bunch of ****ty ones. No matter how many ****ty cameras you got and how many angles and directions you catch somebody in if you can't identify a face then all you have is a bunch of video of a suspect you know nothing about. A security system in any aspect is only as good as its weakest link.

I was thinking about putting 8 or so cameras on my property but the more I look at things and measure things out I think I'm only gonna get a few really good cameras that would overlap on the property a lot easier than a bunch of baseline cameras would.

Im gonna start with an 8 channel or 16 channel DVR so I will have room to grow if need be. Crappy or not you can never have too many cameras I'd just rather do things a little more efficient the first time so I'm not stuck with cameras that don't really perform well or are pretty much pointless in whatever location they might be in after all that installation etc...

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      08-01-2011 05:54 PM #42
      Good stuff here. I was just discussing security cameras with a couple of neighbors the other day after a couple of odd things have happened at night around our places.

I could set up two that would not only capture our front driveway and entryway, but also the entrances to both neighbors homes and parking spots in the front. It would pretty much capture anything odd that went on around the houses.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

XBL - urparanoid

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      08-07-2011 10:45 PM #43
      My one that views my front door and driveway (post 30 on page 1) shows my sister's front yard and driveway after I aimed it... but it's so far away its pretty useless, its just a "was anyone over there and what time was it" convenience.

I have another 2 cameras but I'm unsure where I want to wire them...

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      08-08-2011 09:02 AM #44
      Subscribed for future use.

Great posts!!

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-09-2011 02:03 AM #45
      Home Security is an interesting topic for sure. How about physical security?
      A friend of mine who lives in a north Minneapolis, MN neighborhood had a home invasion last month. His wife was out and he was taking a nap in the bedroom on the second floor. They kicked in the back door, which was a wood door with wood frame, and just stole the TV and 2 laptop computers. He heard the noise and woke up. Around the time he got dressed to go downstairs, a man opened his bedroom door and came in. He said the conversation was like this:

"Oh sorry is this George's house?"
      "No who are you man?"
      "Sorry the door was unlocked."
      "Get out of my house!"

And the guy just shut door and left. My friend was really freaked out. When he went downstairs the back door was just laying there on the floor and the stuff was gone. Internet tough-guy comments aside my friend is just a typical city dweller and doesn't keep guns under his pillow or anything. Conceal and carry permits were legalized in that state a few years back, but local businesses retaliated by posting "No guns allowed" signs outside of every business. It's quite strange, Minnesota is the only state where I have ever seen signs that say "No guns". But it just means that if you try and get your permit you can't take your gun inside of anywhere. If you did, you are committing a felony and would lose your ability to carry a firearm. Even just by mistake if you forgot you are carrying it's a felony. So you would have to keep the gun inside of your car if you are driving even to the grocery store. Criminals know that so they just break into cars and steal your gun when they know you don't have it. So the only place that it's practical to have a gun is still your house and the lifestyle is relatively unchanged. It maintains the image that I grew up with of guns. The idea that anyone who has a gun is either a cop or a criminal. So it's considered to be deviant to own one for anything other than hunting or collecting purposes. That just decreases the demand for training and safety classes too. So unfortunately gun ownership doesn't work nearly as well in that state's culture as it does in other gun friendly states. But guns aside I wanted to know what people think about doors and things.

Why are security doors so uncommon in these high crime neighborhoods? I noticed that in my neighborhood in Yokohama every single house has a metal door. Most of the windows, even second floor, have bars. If they don't have bars they use a rolling metal door at night. The sound is freaky at night. Right when the sun goes down you hear an orchestra of rolling metal doors slamming and locking. It's not for storms, they are clearly just for security. I'm talking about this type:

This is a very low crime neighborhood but if you wanted to break into a house you'd need a plasma cutter. Most of the houses look bulletproof literally. So why don't people in neighborhoods like Minneapolis get this kind of stuff? Is it the city building code or something? I know sometimes there are protests against shops that have bars on the windows. People say that it brings down the image of the neighborhood. But some of the bars of the windows are quite beautiful with laser cut designs and pot holders for plants. Especially the rolling metal shutters, they aren't obvious until they are shut. Even then it can just look like an extension of the aluminum metal siding of the house.

08-09-2011 09:26 AM #46
      how much do those things run?

12. 01-02-2012 06:59 AM #47
      Hi,

I have been in the security services business for over 9 years. I finally have a topic that I can help with. :If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.
      http://www.mr-locks.com

13. 01-10-2012 03:48 PM #48
      Man I hope this place gets traffic.

I have a home alarm that was installed when I had my house built. It's about a 3 year old Brinks system.

I want to get it activated for just use inside the house. I know monitoring will basically pay for itself with a discount in Homeowners insurance, but I may be moving in 6 months and ALL the monitoring companies want 36 month leases.

Is it possible to get the system hooked up just inside the house with an alarm with out using a monitoring system? How does one go about getting it "turned on"?

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      01-11-2012 12:56 AM #49
      I know it's possible, my sister has an off-brand system with a siren that is not connected to anything yet.

On a side note, I just purchased 2 more dome cameras to complete my 4ch system recently Won't be installing them until spring since I don't want to mess around in the cold. But wiring is a beotch, and the only place that works with wiring isn't really a spot I need to monitor... but at least I'll have all the main spots of my house covered lol.

15. Member
      01-11-2012 11:09 AM #50
      I'm looking forward to upgrading my home surveillance system as well once we move. We live in a very safe neighborhood but I just like to be able to have the added security. I'm currently using pan, tilt, zoom wireless IP cameras directed at the front driveway and at the rear entrance. As someone noted, for cameras aimed at the outdoors, unless you mount the camera outside of your house, you will get a reflective glare. You will still be able to see what's going on but the quality and detail will be greatly diminished.
      2003 Acura MDX Touring
      2008 Mercedes-Benz B200 Turbo

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      01-19-2012 02:03 PM #51
      My advice is don't get a 4 channel setup, always shoot for a 6+ or in my case a 8 channel box for the avg home.

I have 4 cameras inside the house and 3 outside.

One on the baby, one on the entry and backdoor entry, and one in the hallway that connects most of the rooms. This way any burglars that comes in will get filmed. I have 3 cameras outside, one front, one back, and driveway.

The camera system has motion detection so it saves a lot of disk space on the DVR. Only captures when there's motion or changes.

I can access my cameras outside on my iPhone or Android app. It's nice to have a piece of mind everyday when I look through the cameras to ensure my family is safe and sometimes interestingly I see pedestrians sometimes and you can see suspicious people by looking at their behavior and frequency around your block.

I also spot what animal that frequents at my garbage can.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      64 continental convertible. mobsteel/airlift.
      01-20-2012 12:29 PM #52
      is there a way to setup a motion sensor to this type of system where i could remotely engage a paintball gun to shoot deer in my garden? has to be view-able and controlled via android phone.

18. 01-20-2012 01:13 PM #53
      Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced (<$300/camera) PoE IP indoor or indoor/outdoor cameras that don't look too gaudy or are fairly small? We don't need PTZ but would like some sort of IR/night mode. Looking to throw a few in my parents house under construction.
      Last edited by joness0154; 01-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      01-20-2012 01:55 PM #54

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta, Monster 800
      08-12-2012 04:14 PM #55
      I want to bump this up to remind people to check their windows and doors when they leave the house or go to bed. Some devious dudes tried to open my sliding glass door last week, with no luck, thanks to an old cut-off broom handle in the sill.

I'm looking into cameras, but can't justify the expense. I've got nothing to steal and the thieves would be pretty sad when they did finally get in...

21. Member
      08-12-2012 07:56 PM #56
      Wow, the good 'ole wooden broomstick foils the thieves once again! Most law enforcement officers will tell you that sliding doors are one of the easiest and most targeted points of entry for thieves. A simple wooden stick is one of the simplest yet effective security devices for a sliding door.
      2003 Acura MDX Touring

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      08-13-2012 12:16 AM #57
      ^ Ouch! Glad there wasn't any more damage though.

Even if you didn't have anything they'd want to steal, they would still make a mess and break stuff.

I should really relocate my DVR to a hidden/secure spot in the basement, that would suck to get broken into then have the video evidence gone too. But I like it in my bedroom because the hum of the harddrive gets my attention and sometimes wakes me up when it begins recording (motion sensing)

Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      09-07-2012 12:37 AM #58
      what about the verizon system they offer? it seems a bit pricey but got some decent reviews
      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      09-14-2012 05:10 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
      Wow, the good 'ole wooden broomstick foils the thieves once again! Most law enforcement officers will tell you that sliding doors are one of the easiest and most targeted points of entry for thieves. A simple wooden stick is one of the simplest yet effective security devices for a sliding door.
      Ha... I noticed this thread as I have cameras on the brain at the moment. My first floor is very secure, with bars on the windows, beefed up metal doors, etc. But I am currently putting in stairs to the second-floor deck, which has a slider on it, and since that is a weak spot I am thinking of cameras as a deterrent. Even without the stairs, the slider has always had a bar in it - not a broomstick but rather a roughly 2" dowel.
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Vehicles
      ...stopped keeping track
      11-07-2012 11:17 PM #60
      Bump because I need a wired upgrade. Looking into the Q-See setups
      Quote Originally Posted by skin1488760
      i am a ****ing racist!

SCAMMER skin1488760 Christopher Heiser Escondido Ca951-756-5977 .http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...4-looks-SO-CALhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-intake-socal

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      11-08-2012 08:54 AM #61
      I'm still thinking of upgrading to a 8 channel DVR, and throwing a couple of cameras inside of my house. I get a lot of false-recording with my outside cameras from trees/bushes moving too much, animals or close insects, even clouds/morning/dusk sudden light changes. Yes I can set motion sensitivity, ignore pixels, etc but its just unavoidable and not that big of a problem.

However, nothing at all should be moving inside of my house... My DVR is capable of "triggering alarm" upon motion, emailing me, etc, so that might be a good idea. Camera in the garage, by front door, by back door... but my problem is, I think it's creepy to have cameras inside of the house So maybe I could find some wireless ones that I could turn on/off when I'm gone or on vacation?

27. Member
      12-02-2013 11:51 AM #62
      Thread bump!

Well, the time has come for me to be looking into a new home video surveillance system. I noticed some decent-looking systems at Costco, as well as at Home Depot and other similar big box stores. I like the idea of a wired system over a wireless one, although wireless does give a bit more flexibility for installation, but I'm not crazy about having to hide wires all over the house. How do you guys wire these things so that the wiring is inconspicuous?

At this time, I'm actually leaning towards getting it installed professionally. My immediate neighbor has a home video surveillance system all set up so I'd like to ask them about their's if I could. Time to do some research and homework!
      2003 Acura MDX Touring

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      12-02-2013 02:08 PM #63
      All 4 of my cameras are installed into exterior soffits (I figured it would protect from the rain). 3 on corners, 1 right next to front door

All wires snake over to my attic (easily done)

All wires go down in a corner of my garage, protected by a painted "U-channel" to try to hide them

Wires then go through my garage wall into my basement ceiling. Was fun trying to push 4 BNC cables through spray foam insulation

Snaked through my basement ceiling, then go up through the floor into my bedroom

I keep my DVR in a bedroom media center. If I ever decided it was too loud (can hear hard drive start up and stop) I would just hide it in my basement "unfinished" area and use an IR repeater and extension cord on the mouse.

I did all of this with an unfinished basement, but now it's all sheetrocked so I'm screwed if I want to change it lol. Would have been much easier and cleaner if I just ran all the BNC cables when I was building the house, but I didn't think of it. Oh well, next house
      Last edited by Phrost; 12-02-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Vehicles
      '75 Eldorado vert, '13 Sierra Denali CC D/A, '11 Outback 3.6R
      12-02-2013 02:49 PM #64
      4 camera 320g Clover DVR from Sams Club about 6 years ago. The DVR lives in my 3rd bedroom which is used as an office. Cables go in wall, then; one up to the attic and out the soffit to the deck/backyard 1 cam, the other three down in to the garage where they eventually poke out for a driveway cam, back door/yard 2, and front door. The wiring is exposed in the garage but nowhere else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
      Cary

'13 Sierra Denali 2500 CC D/A
      '11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

12-02-2013 03:22 PM #65
      Are you guys recording video or doing periodic still shots or what? I know hard drives are cheap now, but what kind of storage are you running?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      12-02-2013 04:34 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Are you guys recording video or doing periodic still shots or what? I know hard drives are cheap now, but what kind of storage are you running?
      It's always recording but overwrites unless it "saves" the event. Mine is motion activated. I can set sensitivity and duration for each camera. Ex: upon sensed motion, zone saves 5 seconds prior to event and 15 after activity ends. I'm only recording 420P do there's lots of room. Wind and heavy rain tend to burn up disc space, but at any given time I still have several months of saved activity I can review.

Cary

'11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

Vehicles
      12-02-2013 04:36 PM #67
      Ha - I had forgotten about this thread! Since last I saw it, I did indeed get a 4-channel "Q-See" brand setup from Costco. I was quite impressed with it - the video was high quality, the night-vision very good, and the user interface quite nice. Would definitely recommend them.

I installed it maybe a year ago - lots of climbing through attic spaces, drilling holes and whatnot... then moved ~3 months ago and took it all out again.

Haven't re-installed it yet, because I can't find the damned cables! In fact, I ordered some replacements today.
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

Vehicles
      12-02-2013 06:37 PM #68
      It's always recording but overwrites unless it "saves" the event. Mine is motion activated. I can set sensitivity and duration for each camera. Ex: upon sensed motion, zone saves 5 seconds prior to event and 15 after activity ends. I'm only recording 420P do there's lots of room. Wind and heavy rain tend to burn up disc space, but at any given time I still have several months of saved activity I can review.

Cary

'11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

Vehicles
      12-02-2013 07:27 PM #69
      I think mine are pretty typical... the system is always 'watching' the camera feed, and keeping a user-defined buffer (in my case, it was 30 seconds). When motion is detected based on the picture it 'sees' changing, it goes back to the beginning of the buffer (i.e. 30 seconds before it saw movement) and starts writing to disk. Then, when no motion has been detected for another 30 second period, it stops the recording.

My system has 4 cameras, and a 500MB hard drive... of course, it is going to vary with how much activity the cameras see... 2 of mine covered a pretty busy street so were recording cars going by pretty frequently, but my recordings went back 3-4 weeks on average. I would imagine that now that I am out in the country, it will record less and therefore cover a longer date range.
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      12-02-2013 11:17 PM #70
      ^same as above. I think I have a 1tb hd in my dvr, can set it to "all record" if one senses motion etc but I have them all record separate when one senses motion.

After having it in place for a few years, I do get a lot of false recording but better safe than sorry. I looked at it a lot when I first installed it (hey, it's cool) but I never look at my DVR anymore unless I hear something outside or think something weird happened.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast