VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

tail light out.. what light bulb?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BsickPassat 
#1 ·
i tried looking but not much luck
left tail light on my girlfriends RABBIT *(i have MKVI GOLF TDI) went out. well just the right side of the round tail light, can someone tell me which light bulb i need? and how do i change it?
thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
its really simple its a single filament bulb I dont know the number but if you go to your local parts store they will be able to tell you when you open the back hatch you will see a cut out in the carpet kind of behind the tail light and open that up and there will be a plug and a couple nuts, unplug the plug it is a little hard but a screw driver will do the trick then you will remove the nuts they are ethier 10mm or 13mm you will be able to see the difference and after that remove the tail light lens and you will have to remove the bulb holder from the tail light and replace both bulbs cause once one goes out the other follows. reassemble cycle key and warning light should be out.

#3 ·
You actually don't even need to unbolt the taillight. You just disconect the wires then push in a couple tabs and the bulb holder comes right out. Also, the brake light is gonna be a dual filament- all this information and the exact bulb number will be I the owners manual.

#8 ·
WRONG

The other guy above is right. the nuts are 10mm. The bulbs are single filament non offset prong brake bulbs. Do both when you are in there. Its like a 95% chance as soon as you replace the one that is out the other one will go out when you put back the tail light assy back in. Just better off doing both of them.

#5 ·
thanks i did it last night,
it was size 10MM wrench,

CNDNMAX i just saw your post that i didnt have to unscrew? but being its my first time and its my girlfriends car, i didnt want to risk breaking one of the little tabs, its a tight spot to try and push them open, so i just unscrewed,
total 5 min job,
thanks

#7 ·
I've had both my brake light bulbs go out and one has done it twice. I took it to the dealer and they said it was from corrosion. I asked them why they're corroded and they couldn't give me an answer but it isn't covered under warranty.

Has anyone else had this problem?
mine..:mad:..and just about to start fixing it now..:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.