Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What car am I going to buy?

Vehicles
      '10 Golf GTD
      09-14-2010 03:02 AM #71
      do what i did...
      Start by considering a porsche boxster, then goto S3, then R32, then back to S3, then Skoda RS, then GTI, then Skoda RS, then eventually go a GTD manual

edit: oh, and take 2 years to decide
      VW MKVI Golf GTD - Black | Sunroof | MDi | Manual | RNS-510 | Hyper Silver GTC CX 18" | ChipExpress

09-14-2010 03:12 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUB2C View Post
      do what i did...
      Start by considering a porsche boxster, then goto S3, then R32, then back to S3, then Skoda RS, then GTI, then Skoda RS, then eventually go a GTD manual

edit: oh, and take 2 years to decide
      Yeah, but how many kids did you have while you were trying to decide?

3. 09-14-2010 04:35 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      This thread is enough to ensure I don't have more kids. M3 for the missus is perfect as far as I am concern.
      Nothing wrong with sticking to one kid And I'm thankful to those who have 2 or more to even things out Anyone with more than one kid deserves a medal too!!

09-14-2010 04:40 AM #74
      And a free pit garage at Eastern Creek to stow the Recaro baby seats in!

5. 09-14-2010 04:42 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by mikinoz View Post
      We have 9.5 , 3.5 , 21 mth and 6 days olds - and little Chloe who is no longer with us who would have been 5 in April.

The Odyssey never did it for me but the Bi-Turbo 4Motion Multivan fits the bill.*

*(A 75mm drop and 19" wheels along with a recode may be required however)
      Congrats for the latest addition to the mikinoz household - but O.M.G. - 3 under 4yrs old?? Your poor Mrs!! She must be made of tough stuff Is this your last one, or are you going for a footy team??

6. 09-14-2010 04:44 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by R'chitect View Post
      And a free pit garage at Eastern Creek to stow the Recaro baby seats in!
      LMAO - that's the least they could do!!

You have to have at least one car you can bring to the track - we miss you

7. 09-14-2010 04:51 AM #77
      I don't suppose an X5 is a contender? I know, bloody expensive - but damn, I am surprised how they handle!! You could almost use it as a kid carrier and a track car. Hey, I did say almost

8. 09-14-2010 06:20 AM #78
      Did you drive the defender yet? I was going to get it, my wife liked the disco, but it was too much to use properly, well for me anyway. So I ended up with the patrol, even that I find so amny scratches on it from branches etc, taking a ~ $100k disco would kill you. The defender is the right price though hey.

The defender is pretty small inside and the driving position and seats are pretty full on. New front seats wouldn't break the bank really, but its an awsome car for the bush. Might be hard to get on with around town. Pretty sure skc got some stratos seats or something? Cant remember which seats? His one is awsome looking

I'm sure me being 1.95m tall didn't help much either. I know the kids sat on those horrible booster seats for ages, but the patrol is mega comfy, back seats are pretty good. They have ducted aircon in the back floor and ceiling and fold out trays, like aiplanes too good if your going on long real long drives.

But the defender is at least 100 times cooler than the patrol, i even love the cookie cutter steelies on it.

9. Senior Member
      09-14-2010 06:44 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by .Megan. View Post
      I don't suppose an X5 is a contender? I know, bloody expensive - but damn, I am surprised how they handle!! You could almost use it as a kid carrier and a track car. Hey, I did say almost
      My X5 could lap most track faster than most cars, CooperS included!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

10. 09-14-2010 06:46 AM #80
      iPad Certified.

09-14-2010 06:59 AM #81
      Defender driving experience is actually only going up and down to Turoa Skifield in a Series 2 repowered with some holden engine... so not exactly a comprehensive test.

I'm back in Sydney next week and will take a friends 60th Anniversary Defender for a good strop.
      Having only been a passenger in it previously all I can say is that the ergonomics rival a pre 996 Porsche, and to all intents and purposes it's like buying a new classic car. Performance is woeful by any measure, but that's a big bit of the charm. The Anniversary does have great Recaro seats though.

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      09-14-2010 07:05 AM #82
      I remember sitting in one at a motor show and I couldn't close the drivers door without smashing up my right knee.
      I think you'll be looking elsewhere after you drive one

09-14-2010 07:18 AM #83
      haha yeah i'd love a defender and fancied one for a while i think they're ace lookin and I'm accustomed to a little roughness being an old mini head, but even I'd struggle with it reckon.. very agricultural and i remember either the hand brake or the gear stick being in a terrible position and the driving position being awfully cramped for such a large looking car, it'd get tired very quick and when commenting to the sales guys about all the exposed metal edges/screw/nutheads would be great with the kids rolling around the back to which he just laughed

09-14-2010 07:24 AM #84
      Current Defender enjoys the sophistication of a Ford Transit Diesel & Getrag gearbox, with a new 'shorter' gear stick, so it's all good now.....

15. 09-14-2010 07:38 AM #85
      I slept in the back of a series 2 at mt hotham during a blizzard, the rear door was held shut ( but nowhere near airtight) with a farm gate latch. Haha, though I was going to die.

Nearly bought an ex army troopie my self about 15 years ago, good mate spotted signs that it had been airlifted and prob dropped from height as they all are. Always loved army siht and this one was bush camo, even with the camo canvas cover etc, plank bench seat.

He actually did a test for a majour mag, a 6 or so wagon shootout thing, they all loved it in the bush, really loved it. He has had a lot of 4wds and at leats 20 years in the game.

Pretty true though, it is a new classic car. Looks fantastic, comes with dents from new.

The 60th ano has nice seats for sure.

09-14-2010 08:14 AM #86
      Here's an obscure piece of Land Rover trivia.

Donald Judd's Land Rover (A rare site in Texas to be sure). Having been modified by one of the most important American sculptors would make it extremely valuable. It was out in the open when we visited in 2004, don't know where it will be now. A decent Judd piece will set you back $2M+......

17. 09-14-2010 08:22 AM #87
      chris - i don't think the landrover is right for you. i reckon cx-9 or merc r280 diesel.

18. Senior Member
      09-14-2010 08:28 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Tank Engine View Post
      If you are referring to my comment about the X5, I can assure you I'm not wrong...

09-14-2010 08:32 AM #89

Donald Judd's Land Rover (A rare site in Texas to be sure). Having been modified by one of the most important American sculptors would make it extremely valuable. It was out in the open when we visited in 2004, don't know where it will be now. A decent Judd piece will set you back $2M+......
      I don't know if they were that rare in the US?. Look for Land Rover Ranch they have quite a few nice ex desert Landies Funniest one was the CEO of Eddie Bauer's daily drive. Maintaining the image and all that

09-14-2010 08:35 AM #90
      and bugger now I'm going to spend the next 2 hours trawling ebay etc for a decent early landy

21. 09-14-2010 08:53 AM #91
      If you are referring to my comment about the X5, I can assure you I'm not wrong...
      Not at all Wayne - having a go at all the varied opinions here. You just got lucky as the last response.

Has the X5M gone? I'd love one of those but only with 7 seats.
      iPad Certified.

22. 09-14-2010 09:01 AM #92

Suits his mimimalist style - his mods would have been to rip everything unnecessary out.
      iPad Certified.

23. Senior Member
      09-14-2010 10:13 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Tank Engine View Post
      Not at all Wayne - having a go at all the varied opinions here. You just got lucky as the last response.

Has the X5M gone? I'd love one of those but only with 7 seats.
      Yeah X5M gone. I may have kept it in the family if it had 7 seats actually, but it's impossible to buy one with 7 seats as it is based off a X6 chassis and not X5 (subtle difference). Btw, for anyone in doubt, Geoff Brabham said to me that the X5M laps Philip Island about the same time as the M3 in his hands.

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      09-14-2010 08:12 PM #94
      My X5 could lap most track faster than most cars, CooperS included!
      You in the X5 me in the MCS. I'm ready.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      09-14-2010 08:28 PM #95
      Exige would whoop yo ass or this

Last edited by Zorg2; 09-14-2010 at 08:57 PM.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

26. 09-14-2010 09:02 PM #96
      Yeah X5M gone. I may have kept it in the family if it had 7 seats actually, but it's impossible to buy one with 7 seats as it is based off a X6 chassis and not X5 (subtle difference). Btw, for anyone in doubt, Geoff Brabham said to me that the X5M laps Philip Island about the same time as the M3 in his hands.
      wayne, nobody here doubts how fast it is. in fact, the fact that it is so fast, makes it 'so wrong'. a family suv used as a daily should blend in a certain amount
      of utility, useable power, reliability, durability, with a dollop of style if you like. if you had bought a mid-range x5, there would have been no fanfare, and you just may have wanted to keep it.
      geoff brabham was just talking the bmw talk, there was no need for it, as the x5 was never gonna be tracked anyway.
      Last edited by Jim Bookie; 09-14-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      09-14-2010 09:13 PM #97
      looks like tig too small from the watercoolers.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/...y-41676-3.html

multivan on 19's is where it's at for luggage room and kid friendly, even the passat would be very tight with 3 car seats across the back we have had 2 in the back plus my wife in the middle who is small and it was a tight fit. Can your budget stretch to an X5 3.0D 7 seater? beleive the E class Merc's got the 7 spd auto update in early 2004, also some nice E350's around but they are up around 55-60g. or as an alternative but ugly as JB has suggested the R class can be had cheap for the petrol or diesel. Or perhaps an M Class? Tough choice I know I agonised for ages. I think VW had a driveaway special on the Multivan, also Touaregs can be had cheapish. Otherwise any of the Jap 4wd's but will suck petrol. I think the Superb wagon while big in narrow across the middle and similiar to the Passat.

One of these would be cool but not cheap this one is $65k

Last edited by Zorg2; 09-14-2010 at 09:17 PM.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      09-14-2010 10:29 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Zorg2 View Post
      multivan on 19's is where it's at for luggage room and kid friendly, even the passat would be very tight with 3 car seats across the back we have had 2 in the back plus my wife in the middle who is small and it was a tight fit.
      Truth. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 4Mo Highline Multivan today. It ships with OEM 18" but will get the 19" and springs once it arrives.

I think VW had a driveaway special on the Multivan, also Touaregs can be had cheapish.
      Drive away was only on povo spec Multi, but made them damn competitive. We did not get that promotion, but dialled in a mad price with a keen dealer and despite the premium over other options on the market, we feel that it is a justified expenditure and intend to keep it for a while (well by our standards at least).

Did I mention the 1.13 T payload capacity? Downside - Late March 2011 delivery for our build order.

This was some idea of wheel options courtesy of Liam...

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      09-14-2010 10:36 PM #99
      Does 4Mo Multivan come with diesel ?
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      09-14-2010 10:50 PM #100
      yes check on vw website twin turbo 2.0 litre 132kw plus gobs of torque handy for snow trips as well.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/83396/vo...-with-4motion/
      Last edited by Zorg2; 09-14-2010 at 10:54 PM.
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      09-14-2010 11:19 PM #101
      yes check on vw website twin turbo 2.0 litre 132kw plus gobs of torque handy for snow trips as well.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/83396/vo...-with-4motion/
      Ah thanks. I noticed that petrol versions are not even available anymore.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      09-14-2010 11:45 PM #102
      MTM the first tuner to the plate for T5.5 bus!

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      09-14-2010 11:59 PM #103
      three can go across the back but it's tight

Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

34. 09-15-2010 12:32 AM #104
      The Beemer estates are just a sedan with a higher boot line - it wouldn't cut it for 3 kids IMO.
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      09-15-2010 12:54 AM #105
      these would look good on the van - otherwise you can get 19" sagitta's from the CC from ECS tuning good time with the Aussie peso being strong

Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast