Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: check engine light, car is stuck in 3rd gear

1. 09-15-2010 10:42 AM #1
      ok so i got this auto TDI '01 Golf for very cheap. i couldn't turn it down despite the automatic. so i knew the trans was a little iffy from the start but its not that big of a deal. I did run into an issue which didn't clear itself up. In Drive it is stuck in 3rd gear. if i put it in 1st or 2nd it will switch but in drive it stays in 3rd even from a stop.

i unplugged the battery to try and reset the ecu but to no avail the light is still on. anyone have any suggestions? i'm guessing its a sensor having to do with the shift points on the transmission. i don't have a vag com.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-15-2010 12:06 PM #2
      A generic OBDII reader can pull codes and reset them. For transmission stuff, you might need VAG-COM, but a good place to start is to just see what the code is. How many miles on the car?

3. 09-15-2010 12:28 PM #3

damn shame because the motor will outlast a few VW auto tranmissions

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-15-2010 01:03 PM #4
      If it turns out the auto is toast, its much cheaper to swap in a manual than to replace with another auto. Just a thought to keep in mind. Someone over on NewBeetle.org just had their auto replaced with a 5-speed for $2500. I haven't heard of autos (rebuilt at that) going for any less.

5. 09-15-2010 01:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      If it turns out the auto is toast, its much cheaper to swap in a manual than to replace with another auto. Just a thought to keep in mind. Someone over on NewBeetle.org just had their auto replaced with a 5-speed for $2500. I haven't heard of autos (rebuilt at that) going for any less.
      yeah well i only paid 2k for the car (no issues besides a known slushy trans) so honestly i'm not too worried about getting a manual swap done. i just know it will be annoying to do.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Golf GLS Hatchback
      11-02-2010 06:12 PM #6
      I just got a 2000 Golf with 2.0L engine and FDF transmission 30 days ago. I took a trip of 2300 miles
      and it worked great! Just got back, started check engine light and threw codes.

Engine: 16824 Evap Emission malfunction, intermittent

Transmission:

652 Gear monitor not a plausible signal

1192 Torque converter lockup-clutch malfunction-intermittent

I don't have a code reader, got these codes from auto mechanic friend. Help!!