Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing back the Art of Shaving

1. 09-15-2010 09:54 PM #1
      I have always loved a good strait razor or safety razor shave whenever I would go to the barber. Just always seemed like I could never get a shave that good with my mach 3 or even trying my brother's Fusion(with a new blade). Keep in mind that I'm 25 yrs old and can grow a full out thick grizzly man beard in just a week, being German and Irish. So my quest for a great shave started a couple months ago. I ordered myself a shaving bowl, brush and soap after doing some research on the art of shaving and found that alot that goes into a great shave is the preshave. The brush helps to stimulate your whiskers and get them to stand up more than your conventional throw away can of shaving cream. I have been just using the soap and brush with my mach3 for the past couple months and have noticed a considerably closer shave than just your boring cream or gels. I'll stop right here and say if you are too scared to go with a safety or strait blade just switch to the soap and brush and you wont be disappointed.
      So I started to do some more research looking at getting some type of razor that will do the trick. There is tons and tons out there from strait razors, which there isn't as much variations to, and the safety razors, which have alot more options you can get. With my type of beard I ended up ordering a merkur with the open tooth comb. The open tooth is better for thicker heavier beards but it can also allow you to get a closer shave there being no full safety bar. All I can say is that I am very impressed and will never go back to using my mach3(except for shaving my balls, be damned if i'm going to use a safety razor there) I have no more irritation, no more shaving bumps or razor burn and best of all a face that is once again baby butt smooth. Not to mention that a 10 pack of blades on runs you around 6 bucks I suggest that everyone at least try it.

Here in a couple days when i get around to making it I will have a video for you guys.

There is tons more information out there but if this is something you are looking to making the change I suggest you go to these sites because they have tons more information. Or you can ask me any questions.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04...-your-grandpa/
      http://www.classicshaving.com
      http://badgerandblade.com

Thank you for reading

Last edited by weenerdog3443; 11-10-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      09-15-2010 11:14 PM #2
      I hate shaving.

With my current job in the catering business I'm not allowed to have a beard but they are okay with a moustache. I keep that trimmed with my beard trimmer.

When I was working other jobs or between jobs I just don't shave.

I use a Mach 3 razor that I got in the mail and rarely change the blade because they are pretty damn expensive. I always end up with a TON of disposable razors on Christmas and use those when I have them.

3. 09-16-2010 01:23 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
      I hate shaving.

With my current job in the catering business I'm not allowed to have a beard but they are okay with a moustache. I keep that trimmed with my beard trimmer.

When I was working other jobs or between jobs I just don't shave.

I use a Mach 3 razor that I got in the mail and rarely change the blade because they are pretty damn expensive. I always end up with a TON of disposable razors on Christmas and use those when I have them.
      If you don't mind putting in the time to learn it and the couple extra min shaving it is def worth it man. Like you I hated buying blades for my mach3 cuz would be crazy expensive. Hell its even cheaper than buying disposable razors.

Even better I actually enjoy and look forward to shaving now. Before I hop in the shower I put my mug n brush into the sink and put the hot water on. By the time I'm out the shower its ready to go. Get my soap all nice and thick and shave.

09-16-2010 01:37 PM #4
      I actually got a art of shaving starter "kit" from my brother for christmas last year. I love it!! The badger brush and the shave cream are top notch and get me a great shave. I am the opposite of the OP and it would take me a month to grow a beard. I do not shave all that much but when I do it makes a difference.

I want to try a straight razor next and bring it to the next level so I think that's where I am headed.

09-16-2010 11:01 PM #5
      Have been using a safety razor since the beginning of the year, was turned on to it by my brother. Have a Merkur 38c and I use either Feather or Personna blades. I've shaved my head w/ it but that is too time consuming, might be easier w/ a lighter razor. Usually use either Art of Shaving or CO Bigelow (repackaged Proraso) shaving cream since both can easily be purchased locally.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      09-17-2010 01:23 PM #6
      another merkur here. i dont bother with the brush and special soaps, but i do shave in the shower. much less irritation and the shave feels smoother. dont think ill ever go back to multi blade razors

Vehicles
      MTA Metro Card, Zipcar
      09-18-2010 12:42 AM #7
      I have no time for a shaving bowl and brush and all that crap, but being of Italian descent, I feel your pain on the beard thing. For me in order:

Kiehl's foaming face soap in the shower as a pre-shave

Kiehl's shave cream (Shave with Gillette Mach 3 turbo)

Kiehl's after shave balm

Kiehl's moisturizing gel

This routine keeps me out of the ditch.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-19-2010 01:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CTAC2003 View Post
      another merkur here. i dont bother with the brush and special soaps
      x2, but I am back to using my Mach 3. I find that it is much more accurate for trimming around my beard.

9. 09-19-2010 02:22 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by PSU View Post
      x2, but I am back to using my Mach 3. I find that it is much more accurate for trimming around my beard.
      see im on the flip... i think its easier around beard with a DE because you can see where the blade ends where as with my mach3 theres that lil overlap where its holding the blades and i would always cet everything uneven...

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      09-19-2010 09:49 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by weenerdog3443 View Post
      see im on the flip... i think its easier around beard with a DE because you can see where the blade ends where as with my mach3 theres that lil overlap where its holding the blades and i would always cet everything uneven...
      I can definitely see where you are coming from.

Perhaps it's because I don't use the DE as much, and therefore I am just not as used to it.

Vehicles
      86 gti, 01 ttQ 225 "pandora"
      09-20-2010 03:16 PM #11
      i love shaving cause i think beards make people look like a hobo. i use a 30's era single blade gem razor i love the way it shaves. the key to a great shave that i have found out recently is using a pre-oil b4 the shave and use shave soap insted of canned foam so smooth when your done

Vehicles
      2001 A4 Avant
      09-20-2010 11:05 PM #12
      I use a Merkur Progress, with Gillette blades, and Truefitt and Hill Super Badger brush.

Kiehls makes great pre shave, shave, and post shave products.

I have a reasonably thick beard and have been using these items for nearly 3 years with ZERO complaints, no irritation, and after becoming comfortable with the blade, shaving is far more efficient and tolerable as shaving can be.

Westcoastshaving.com is a great site.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      09-22-2010 09:52 AM #13
      This would be a good thread, but I've recently become lazier than normal and haven't even looked at a razor in over 2 weeks.

14. 09-22-2010 07:50 PM #14
      Thanks for this thread OP. I just recently started using a razor (cheap crap) and foam in a can.
      I know nothing of this stuff as I've used an electric shaver for the last 25 years. Well after going through
      few of them I've turned to using a razors recently. Well now I wish step up my shaving practices and shave like a real
      gentleman.

Now about this soap you speak of, I'm getting the impression that you must heat it in order to soften it?
      What are the goto items to make a proper kit, does make and price make a difference in this area?
      What soaps, oils, pre-shave are good to go with?
      I went to the site thats posted above, but its a little overwhelming seeing that I don't know what I would look for.
      I really want to do this right, I love a good smooth shave and my wife loves it even more.

15. 09-22-2010 09:00 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Thanks for this thread OP. I just recently started using a razor (cheap crap) and foam in a can.
      I know nothing of this stuff as I've used an electric shaver for the last 25 years. Well after going through
      few of them I've turned to using a razors recently. Well now I wish step up my shaving practices and shave like a real
      gentleman.

Now about this soap you speak of, I'm getting the impression that you must heat it in order to soften it?
      What are the goto items to make a proper kit, does make and price make a difference in this area?
      I went to the site thats posted above, but its a little overwhelming seeing that I don't know what I would look for.
      I really want to do this right, I love a good smooth shave and my wife loves it even more.
      There are all different types of soaps, brushes, razors, blades, bowls in all types of prices shapes and sizes... Usually When i just in the shower i put bout a teaspoon of hot water and just let it sit on my soap and put my bowl and brush in the sink with hot water running on it. once i get out i wring all the water out of my brush and what little water on my soap i pour it in my bowl. I then swirl my brush on the soap for bout 10 seconds to get a lil on there. I then start going to work in my bowl swirling it all together to get a real nice thick n creamy lather. I dont use and preshave or after shave, probably should but it doesnt bother me.

As for a proper kit its really up to your tastes.. For my kit I've spent around 50 bucks for everything to get started. You use any type of small bowl or mug to mix your lather in. If you're looking for a good beginner badger brush target just started selling them, $10 and its a pretty decent brush, made by shea moisture. They also have soap but i dont care for their scent. You can find millions of different soaps and different scent out there. I'm using Col. Conks soap right now which was bout 5 bucks for a bar. Etsy.com has alot of different soaps that can be found as well. Razors is up to you. Merkur is a good brand with plenty of options out there and good for beginners. Other brushes can be found depends on all what you want to spend. I've seen them from 5 bucks to 500 bucks.

another good site that has tons of information on it is badgerandblade.com They have enough to keep your head spinning for days and they also have a F/S section where you can find just about anything.

Hope that helps you out man, and feel free to ask any questions when you get started

16. 09-22-2010 09:02 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by yzfwv View Post
      This would be a good thread, but I've recently become lazier than normal and haven't even looked at a razor in over 2 weeks.
      cuz you're a bum

09-22-2010 09:19 PM #17
      gentleman.

badgerandblade.com is a good forum to check out.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-B...nomy_p_18.html or just order few different blades to see what you like. They all shave differently, it's more personal preference than anything.

For a Razor
      http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merk...azor_p_30.html
      http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merk...azor_p_52.html
      http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merk...oth_p_127.html

Brush
      There are boars hair brushes that are cheaper but i'd stick w/ badger. They can be just as much if not more than the razor.

Cream/Soap
      Totally personal preference, also you don't need to heat up the soap just rub a web brush to build lather. Like I posted earlier you can get the CO Bigelow for $5 - $10 a tube at Bath and Bodyworks or there is Art of Shaving at most malls. Both are nice the AOS tub lasts a few months for me, the $5 tube of CO Big lasts a 3weeks or so. There was a website that used to offer small tubs of all different kinds of cream for like $1 -$2 each, I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

18. 09-23-2010 08:49 AM #18
      Thanks fellas this info is soooo helpful, I'm seriously taking notes...

19. 09-26-2010 11:15 AM #19
      Thanks fellas this info is soooo helpful, I'm seriously taking notes...
      making any progress??

as for an update. The Shea Moisture brush I picked up at Target is doing great.. It only shed 2 hairs and havent seen one for awhile.. It lathers up a ton quicker than the cheapo VDH brush I got from cvs.

Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      09-28-2010 03:44 PM #20
      Interesting thread...I have been toying with the idea of getting off the Gilette treadmill, but didn't know where to start. is the technique similar? quality of shave?
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-28-2010 03:54 PM #21
      Anybody travel with a single edge razor? How is it through security with it in your carry-on?

09-28-2010 04:04 PM #22
      As long as you don't bring blades you're ok. You can get the blades everywhere in every country. Been using the safety razor for years.
      Scuba If I got in a cab and Esher was driving, I'd get right out. Then I'd ponder how drunk I was that I entered the rear of a 2dr rabbit and thought it was a cab.

2014 DCI VW TOYS FOR TOTS It's for the kids!

09-28-2010 05:53 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      Interesting thread...I have been toying with the idea of getting off the Gilette treadmill, but didn't know where to start. is the technique similar? quality of shave?
      Look up "mantic59" on youtube he has a bunch of helpful videos. I usually only do 2 passes, and go for 3 for when I want BBS aka baby butt smooth. I have a lot less irritation, and am able to get much smoother than I ever could w/ either a Mach3 or Quattro.

For those that "don't have the time", how long do you think this takes? Unless you only do 1 pass going immediately against the grain it doesn't take much if any longer.

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      09-28-2010 06:02 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness View Post
      As long as you don't bring blades you're ok. You can get the blades everywhere in every country. Been using the safety razor for years.
      One more stop to make on a business trip. Alas, no time for that.

25. Member
      10-02-2010 06:42 PM #25
      I didn't read the whole thread but I'll chime in. I've been using a safety razor for about 3 years and last year my wife bought me a wedding present at Classic Shaving in Palm Springs on our Honeymoon, a Merkur Futur kit with the matching brush. Beside the fact it gives an awesome shave and looks really cool in my bathroom on it's stand, it's really cost effective. Sure, the initial investment was high, but for the price of crappy Mach3 refills, I think I'm already in the positive.

26. Member
      10-02-2010 06:44 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness View Post
      I've "carried on" my safety razor with no problems, and I wouldn't use the crappy blades you can buy at the supermarket. They're not really sharp enough to give a good shave.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      10-06-2010 05:15 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      I've "carried on" my safety razor with no problems, and I wouldn't use the crappy blades you can buy at the supermarket. They're not really sharp enough to give a good shave.
      dropped my merkur in the shower and snapped the threaded portion of the handle. i think i wanna get the one with the long handle

28. 10-06-2010 06:22 PM #28
      dropped my merkur in the shower and snapped the threaded portion of the handle. i think i wanna get the one with the long handle
      thats no fun... just gives you an excuse to get something new... If the head part is still good I'd get something with a different head that way if you want you could always just switch the heads between the one handle

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      10-06-2010 08:32 PM #29
      thats no fun... just gives you an excuse to get something new... If the head part is still good I'd get something with a different head that way if you want you could always just switch the heads between the one handle
      i meant to say it broke from the head, so i can use the handle still

i ordered one of those long handled merkurs just like at the top of the thread.
      Last edited by CTAC2003; 10-06-2010 at 08:39 PM.

10-06-2010 11:33 PM #30
      Just found the site that sells samples of shaving cream for $1.25 and up depending on brand

http://www.theshaveden.com/store/ind...&productId=133

31. Member
      10-07-2010 11:32 AM #31
      For over a year I was using a Vintage new-in-box Gilette handle my mom got me for Christmas at a flea market. Even though I use the Merkur now I still keep the Gilette and it's box in my bathroom as a cool vintage showpiece.

I'm going to do a post on my blog about REAL shaving on of these days. Not only is it a really good shave, it's much cheaper than the Mach3 disposables.

32. 10-07-2010 03:07 PM #32
      i meant to say it broke from the head, so i can use the handle still

i ordered one of those long handled merkurs just like at the top of the thread.
      I'd send that pic to merkur they'll prob replace it for you

33. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      10-07-2010 03:31 PM #33
      I'd send that pic to merkur they'll prob replace it for you
      not a bad idea

i just shot them an email with a pic, will see if anything comes out of it.

34. Member
      10-07-2010 06:03 PM #34
      generic web shot of my Merkur Futur kit:

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      10-07-2010 11:09 PM #35
      Its a nice kit but i definitely prefer the old school look.
      Its not slippery?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast