Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: JOM Coilovers

1. 09-16-2010 02:30 PM #1
      Any feedback/comments/reviews outhere from you guys regarding the JOM Coilovers from BFI ? planning on installing a set of these on my GTI Mk2 ....

Vehicles
      2002.5 VW Jetta GLi
      09-16-2010 03:12 PM #2
      Hey man, I have these coilovers and i LOVE them. 30% uprated dampening so they ride nice but give you amazing handling. I have about 10k on mine right now.

-Brett-
      02.5 GLI VR6 - TT DP/Testpipe, Autotech Cat-Back, Eurosport Cool-Flo, C2 Software, Raxles, Grounding Kit, Diesel Geek Sigma Shifter/Panzer Plate, Verdict Shift Bracket Bushings, ECS Bleeder Block/End Links, USP Braided Clutch Line, ECS/Gruven LW pulleys, Raceland Ultimos, 034 Strut Bushings/Motor/Dogbone/Subframe Mounts, R32/Poly Control Arm Bushings, Poly Rear Isolators, TSW Nur wheels, Yarrowsport Rear Bar, Euro Sport Cluster

3. 09-17-2010 01:35 AM #3
      Im surprised on the difference of opinions ! I guess Im more confused now. Keep it coming....

4. 09-17-2010 03:04 AM #4
      Cheap Coilovers are only good for lowering the car... but for real handling and quality not.

just imagine they cost 500usd?
      substract the dealers gain...
      then substract the distributors gain...
      then substract all shipping costs...

you are buying a 150-200usd manufacturing cost product...

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-17-2010 12:54 PM #5
      suspension is a major system of your car. without a properly functioning suspension you are going nowhere. don't be cheap with such an important thing. you probably wouldn't buy crazy cheap brakes would you?

things cost what they do for a reason. you get what you pay for. don't mistake marketing for facts. you can't get a decent suspension for less than $600-700 so just get that notion out your mind
      meh

6. 09-20-2010 11:43 AM #6
      Can you suggest anything in that price range ? and where to get it ?

7. 09-23-2010 09:17 PM #7
      I have em on my Passat and I love them, I had on an H&R cup kit and decided to replace it with JOM coils to raise it up for the upcoming season, so far it rides just as good as the cup kit but ride height wise thats another story. I have about 45 threads left to lower and Im already tucking. So if you really wanna go low and dont plan on driving the car extremely hard I would say go for it.
      Flickrites unite!!

8. 09-24-2010 12:44 PM #8
      Just think the Kelly blue book of the car is $1500-$2000 and your going to spend more then half of that around $1200 for top brand name. Just buy the JOMs the people that are arguing are just mad that $500 coilovers are the same thing as the $1200-$1600 ones. I have had JOMs on my drag car for about 3 1/2 years now and did over 500 passes on them and I still drive the car as a Daily and I beat the **** out of my car its making over 350whp at low boost which is 10 psi. Different strokes for different folks.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit Diesel....87 16V Scirocco...87 8v Gti..93 vr6 Corrado
      09-24-2010 02:06 PM #9
      As far as coilovers go i was always told do it right and pay the extra $$ so the only explination i can come up with ..why guys seem to like the cheaper ones are either they had no other coilovers to compare em to or..perhaps they dont last? or like stated above..i don't know. I do know the higher end coilovers are made with better metals casing valving etc...and some have dampening adjusment which is really nice to have IMO
      Last edited by ajhvw93; 09-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.

10. 09-24-2010 02:52 PM #10
      Always told by who? Tunershops, people that have way too much money to blow? I've had Koni coils on my Scirocco and I had H&R Ultra lows on my MKIII and I have experienced them to be a bit of an overkill since I never tracked my cars and I just wanted to get lower and be able to raise it up if need be. As far as doing it right, who is it to say that spending $300-$500 is wrong and spending upwards of $1200 is right? I say its your money and if you wanted to try a new product within your budget range, I say go for it, if you are not satisfied then make an opinion, rather than hearsay or people commenting on how ****ty the product is because its cheap. The same people comment on JOM, VMAXX or Raceland being bad cause its cheap have replica wheels Hmm.
      Flickrites unite!!

11. 09-24-2010 07:40 PM #11
      So you were told to pay $1200 for coilovers for a $1500 car? My buddy had Bilsteins coilovers on his mk4 he loved them lasted him 2 years then replaced them with JOMs because 2 of them blew out. Like I said before different strokes for different folks. But if you ask me I would just go with what every budget you have.

12. Banned
      Vehicles
      2002/Audi/TTQ & 2003/VW/VR6
      09-24-2010 08:07 PM #12
      took this off my website:BIG H2O SALE GOING ON: Black Forest Industries We will be attending H2O this weekend - so there will be limited staff on hand at the shop, and shipping and receiving will be closed until
      Tuesday.

BUT, while we're away, we've decided to share our H2O sale with all our customers
      See More
      Black Forest Industries ‎- All JOM Grilles 20% off - Coupon code G010H2O (last one is an o not a zero)

- All JOM Lights (headlights/taillights/markers and fogs) 10% off - Coupon code L91010

More below...20 hours agoBlack Forest Industries ‎- Mk4 JOM Coilovers $399 - Coupon code JMK4H910, Mk5/6 JOM Coilovers - Coupon code JMK56H910
      - All Wheel Spacers 10% off - Coupon code SH2O (o not zero)
      - All BFI Motor Mounts 10% off - Coupon code MMH2O (o not zero)

All orders will ship out Tuesday, and are dependent on in-stock status when we return from H2O Internati...
      See More ASK IF FREE SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
      Black Forest Industries Getting ready to head up to H20 International in Ocean City MD this weekend. Hope to see a lot of you there. If you're planning to attend let us know and show us what you'll be drivin

I know does not say MK III but I am sure they will honor it.....ASK IF FREE SHIPPING IS INCLUDED

Racelands or OK as well they run about $350 for $50 more I go for JOM... MKIV wife's car adjust it to ride nice "Brett"

http://whanab.com/

13. Banned
      Vehicles
      2002/Audi/TTQ & 2003/VW/VR6
      09-24-2010 08:25 PM #13
      mjmautohause has a "Yellow" struts- 2 "Yellow" shocks- 2 Neuspeed F 22 or 25 anti sway bar & 19 or 22 Rear anti-sway bar for 824.95 Free Shipping

go with a good spring Eibach/H&R/Neuspeed/ runs around $188 on sale So around $1000.00

and that is not will New Bushings like Superpro or powerflex and New strut mounts for the front two struts or camber/caster/toe in F & R that well run $600.00

even with all the sale prices a set up runs around $1750.00 and NOTE you do almost all the work

great set of Bilstein PSS9 Kit coil over kit 1999 - 2005 9 way adjustable coil over kit.#GM5-8065-H1. 1432.34 Jetta MKIV

and you have not even touched the bushing or anti-sway bars alomsot all cars have a candy ass rear sway bar lucky to be 14 mm

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit Diesel....87 16V Scirocco...87 8v Gti..93 vr6 Corrado
      09-28-2010 11:43 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by jetoctane130 View Post
      always told by who? Tunershops, people that have way too much money to blow? I've had koni coils on my scirocco and i had h&r ultra lows on my mkiii and i have experienced them to be a bit of an overkill since i never tracked my cars and i just wanted to get lower and be able to raise it up if need be. As far as doing it right, who is it to say that spending $300-$500 is wrong and spending upwards of $1200 is right? I say its your money and if you wanted to try a new product within your budget range, i say go for it, if you are not satisfied then make an opinion, rather than hearsay or people commenting on how ****ty the product is because its cheap. The same people comment on jom, vmaxx or raceland being bad cause its cheap have replica wheels hmm.
      when i said or by stated above i was talking about what the guy said above my post having good luck with the joms i was'nt saying either way just speculating to as why the lower priced coilovers get a bad name. I'm running konis with neuspeed race spring because at this early stage of my build i cannot justify spending big bucks on coilovers for now i will save the extra money and put it in somewhere else in the car
      Last edited by ajhvw93; 09-28-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-29-2010 03:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6turbo500whp View Post
      So you were told to pay $1200 for coilovers for a $1500 car? My buddy had Bilsteins coilovers on his mk4 he loved them lasted him 2 years then replaced them with JOMs because 2 of them blew out. Like I said before different strokes for different folks. But if you ask me I would just go with what every budget you have.
      If your buddy bought his Bilsteins new he had a lifetime warranty. He should have sent the two blown ones back for free replacements, not replaced all four with an inferior product, but hey whatever he wants to do. I hope if his VW gets a flat tire he doesn’t trade it for a Honda! hahaha

That said, it’s like you are not getting the point. What we are trying to tell you is you don’t need *coilovers* at all - let alone questionable budget junk like JOMs. You can spend the same amount [or slightly more] you would on cheapo coilovers and get quality springs and shocks that will last the life of the car and perform excellent.

I know for a fact Bilstein has a lifetime warranty, I am not 100% sure about Koni. Warranty coverage says a lot about the quality of a product. Not to mention the fact that OEMs such as Porsche and Mercedes use Bilsteins on their cars. Just something to think about...

Sure, ride height is not adjustable with conventional springs/shock setups, but really – who adjusts their coilovers frequently? Not many people I know. Only showtards really... Do your research on what ride height you want beforehand and buy the right springs and you’ll be fine.

I swear it’s like you've been brainwashed into thinking coilovers are the ONLY way to go. That’s BS. Think about it, how many performance cars come from the factory with coilover suspensions? Not many I can think of. Does that mean cars with “normal” springs/shocks such as M BMWs, AMG Benzes, S Audis, Porsches etc can’t handle? Far from it!!
      meh

Vehicles
      A couple OEM+ turbo GTIs
      09-29-2010 03:51 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6turbo500whp View Post
      Just think the Kelly blue book of the car is $1500-$2000 and your going to spend more then half of that around $1200 for top brand name. Just buy the JOMs the people that are arguing are just mad that $500 coilovers are the same thing as the $1200-$1600 ones. I have had JOMs on my drag car for about 3 1/2 years now and did over 500 passes on them and I still drive the car as a Daily and I beat the **** out of my car its making over 350whp at low boost which is 10 psi. Different strokes for different folks.
      I'm sorry, but WTF are you talking about dude??? You didn't actually answer any questions with that post.

500 passes on a dragstrip mean absolutely NOTHING about handling performance. It’s a straight friggin line man! LOL. (There are way too many factors in launching to focus on only your coilovers so that’s not a valid argument and is totally irrelevant to this thread.)

Your "beating the piss out of it" and your 350whp also are in no way a reflection of a well engineered suspension. As a matter of fact those statements are basically meaningless.

Do you take turns in addition to standing on the throttle and going straight?
      How was the vehicles transient response affected?
      How was ride compliance affected?
      What about body lean?
      Any change in feel or grip at the limits of adhesion?
      Do you ever autocross or take it on a road-coarse? If so, what were your times?

Give us some numbers, some hard evidence, some proof, some indisputable facts - not personal opinion.

There are ways to quantify and qualify suspension performance. It’s not just some subjective thing we all talk out our asses about. You are going to need to be more descriptive and detailed.

And regarding your statement, “the people that are arguing are just mad that $500 coilovers are the same thing as the $1200-$1600 ones”. Ok sure. You know what? You must be right, its all a big conspiracy. It’s the same reason your VW costs more than a Hyundai. They are the same quality. How stupid of me.

If we were to cut open a set of JOMs and a set from a more reputable company you would see the difference with your own eyes.
      meh

17. 10-01-2010 06:54 PM #17
      Hmm, I like where this thread is going. We are actually getting engineers chiming in. I take it that you already took a few coilovers apart to make such an opinion, thats fantastic, though I highly doubt that you actually did.
      Flickrites unite!!

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy)
      10-02-2010 01:07 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by T.D.B. View Post
      Give us some numbers, some hard evidence, some proof, some indisputable facts - not personal opinion.
      Isn't that what every single person in this (and every other) thread is doing? Not a single person seems to be going on any facts, it's all hearsay, blind anger, and personal opinion.

To each his own, the people that bash the heck out of the cheaper products should just not bother to post or read any of the threads with that in the title. I don't understand jumping into an argument over something that you have never owned nor used (not directed solely at you).

Threads with these suspensions in the title should be filled with people interested in buying the product OR people who HAVE bought the product, and are giving their honest opinions of how it worked for them. Personally I believe the entry/street level coilovers should be compared to spring/shock kits (aka cupkits) not full blown mid to high level track ready coilover kits.

The entry/street level kits are merely 'cupkits' with ride height adjustability and infinite spring options. When you put them into their proper category they make a lot of sense. You just have to get past the 'it looks like a race coilover so it's competing with a race coilover' mentality. That's nearly the same as saying a Hyundai Genesis (or even any kit car) looks like an exotic style car so it must be competing with an exotic style car lol. Just because something looks fairly similar on the outside, doesn't mean it's made to compete in the same category lol.

Kei
      Last edited by Kiyokix; 10-02-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy)
      10-02-2010 10:23 PM #19
      I know exactly how you feel. When it comes to hearing about how 'great' some of these cars handle with their $1200 coilovers and 25mm ground clearance, it almost makes me sick to my stomach. If they talk about the handling being so 'great' at those terrible heights, what would they do if they actually raised the car up to a proper ride height so it really could handle great!

I made my peace long ago with the fact that my car will never be able to have that sexy 10-15mm wheel gap stance if I want it to handle properly. It's a shame, but hey the engineers chose what they chose so we have to make it work within those parameters.

I'm still not in any way against people buying the entry/street level coilovers (vmaxx, joms, raceland, rokkors, etc.) as long as they realize they are NOT buying a competitor to the Koni/Bilstein/KW/etc. setups. When you realize that you're buying a height and spring adjustable (the spring freedom is the best part of these) cupkit, you're in the proper mindset to buy one of these.

Personally I'd buy one of these over a normal cupkit anyday.

***Pros***

Corner weighting (if you wish)
      Adjustable Height (for those that want to be slammed)
      Infinite spring choices (massive bonus)
      Stock sport suspension ride height (roughly 15-20mm lower than the normal comfort spec almost all come with)
      Competitive Price (compared to the other cupkits)
      Takes up less wheel well room (if you need it for tires)

***Cons***

Non adjustable dampers (few cupkits get that anyway)
      Possible ride comfort loss (depending on spring rates)

Anyway that's my view on these things, and like I said before. Once you put them into the proper category they make a lot of sense especially for the cars that live 90% on the street, yet see a bit of open track days or autocross time. The next significant step above these I'd say is a set of dampers (maybe adjustable), and some coilover sleeves for cars that see more track time. If you're planning on spending serious time on the track however the other coilovers cost more...but they are 100% worth the extra money in their proper environment.

Kei