Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 VW Passat Life Expectancy

1. 09-20-2010 01:17 PM #1
      Hello, I was wondering what is the "life expectancy" on VWs in general. I have a 2002 Passat 1.8T with a manual transmission that has about 90K miles on it. I was wondering how long the car will last, and if I will need to put in a lot of money in repairs. So far, beside for a few hoses, I only needed to do maintenance work.

I am asking because I would not mind getting an SUV. But the choices for a manual transmission SUV are very limited. I was considering getting the Kia Sorrento in the next few years, but I just learned that they discontinued the manual transmission model so I would need to get one now. I am not sure if a brand new Kia Sorrento would be better than a nine year old VW Passat.

Also, would I get some of the money back for the timing belt change I just had done on my car. Is that taken into account when trading a car in, or selling it used?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      09-20-2010 05:21 PM #2
      I have a 2000 that's just passed 236,000 miles on the original engine, transmission, turbocharger and suspension. On the average, over the last three years, it's cost me about $2000/yr to maintain. My '04 is at 50,000 and I feel just barely broken in. My last VW, a Jetta, I kept to 252,000 miles.

The secret is maintenance. It seemingly never occurred to the VW engineers users might not exactly follow the maintenance schedule. Keep after it, and you'll have your car a long, long, time. Neglect it, and it'll bite you - right in the wallet.

You "get your money back" on the timing belt job, in that if you hadn't done it, the buyer would be insisting you deduct the cost from the price.

Vehicles
      Samoa Red b5.5 , 88 lemon 16v , fat fendered 69 ragtop
      09-20-2010 08:19 PM #3
      In 8 years your passat will probly still be worth more than a kia . my mom purchased a kia sportage ex back in 2000 for a little over $23k and its now worth about $1400not to mention her motor seized back in 2006. if your going to go the suv route look into a subaru wagon or other crossovers. it will be worth it in the long run . IMO keep your car

4. 09-20-2010 10:03 PM #4
      Thanks for the advice. I just test drove a Kia and Subaru this afternoon, and I like my car better. I found the Subaru engine to vibrate at idle, and the Kia hesitated when pressing on the gas. My VW was smoother and responded faster.

So I will keep my car a bit longer. Why is it so hard to find a good SUV with a manual transmission. I am upset at VW for not offering the Touareg with a stick and the Tiguan is a bit too small for my family.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      09-20-2010 10:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by spirou View Post
      Why is it so hard to find a good SUV with a manual transmission. I am upset at VW for not offering the Touareg with a stick and the Tiguan is a bit too small for my family.
      Part of it may be that it's harder to do all the computer tricks, like stability control, with a manual. But for the most part, manufacturers make what sells. And in the US, people don't buy manual transmissions, even on sports cars. So rather than offer the option of a manual, they make them all the same.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      09-22-2010 08:05 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by spirou View Post
      Hello, I was wondering what is the "life expectancy" on VWs in general. I have a 2002 Passat 1.8T with a manual transmission that has about 90K miles on it. I was wondering how long the car will last...
      I have the same exact car as you do, with 195+Kmiles on the odo.

As you get closer to the 100K mark, you would need a timing belt job (with water pump, thermostat, etc.). Your shocks are probably partially worn too. If never done, I would flush the coolant fluid, perhaps the transmission fluid (I did), get a new fuel filter, etc. All those things are very expensive if done at the dealer,, but a lot more affordable at an indy.

I have had a few medium to semi-major problems: biggest one was a dead clutch at 63K. I know it was due to a defect because the replacement is still OK. A couple of years ago I had to change the engine speed and temperature sensors ($500) and the relay of the secondary fuel pump ($200). I also changed the valve gasket cover ($150-200?) and one of my ignition coils died last year (changed all 4 for $150). Oh, my CV boots were torn at around 100K (typical of FWD).

But I drive a lot on freeways, and I have no doubt it would not have lasted as long with city driving.

7. 09-23-2010 05:20 PM #7
      The secret is maintenance. It seemingly never occurred to the VW engineers users might not exactly follow the maintenance schedule. Keep after it, and you'll have your car a long, long, time. Neglect it, and it'll bite you - right in the wallet.

That couldn't have been better said ....