Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet "Aunt Bea" (air-cooled content/paging VWLarry)

1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-20-2010 06:09 PM #1
      Well, I've been trying to get my hotrod '66 Beetle finished. With my own business, a house remodel and small kids at home it's been kinda tough, so I've been looking around for a nice air-cooler for a while. I ran into another sea sand '66:

She has 58,000 miles on her, the engine has never been apart and you're looking at the original paint. She has a couple of little scrapes here and there and a little rust underneath, but it's a clean, mostly unmolested example of a mid '60s Beetle. My current plans are to leave it alone mechanically and work on getting rid of the rust underneath. There's a little cutting and welding to do, but not much. I figure I'll get the bumper mounts fixed and repair the end plates of the heater channels (the little piece of metal about 6" square at the front of the rear fenders), make 1 little patch just above the running board (which is barely in the visible paint, dammit) and next year put the original floor mats/carpeting in her. I'll have to do something about those wheels, too. They should be 2-tone.

I haven't tinkered with one in about 15 years, so I'm having a ball. I rebuilt the carb, which fixed the off-idle bog that it had and I'll be rebuilding an original style fuel pump. It will be all-original mechanically after that... 6-volt system and all!

It was weird at first. My initial thought after driving it the first time was "damn, these things are tiny, dangerous little tin cans!" I then came to realize that was because being away from them for so long, I could be a little more objective.

It's so nice that I don't know yet what I'm going to do with my 1775cc longblock sitting on my engine stand. I suppose I could finish it and stuff it in there for a while. I'd have the only 6-volt original paint hotrod Beetle(n8r) in the entire tri-state area! [/Doofenshmirtz]

I do plan on making a few modifications, such as dual-ciruit brakes and I have an original Empi camber compensator, but I won't do anything I can't quickly change back and I won't drill any holes. (There's a new dual-curcuit reservoir that goes directly onto the master cylinder, negating the need for mods under the front hood) and I may put my Porsche 'B' brakes up front for added safety as well.

The best part about getting this car? Since it's the same year/model/color as my long-term project, I have almost every part that I could want for it! I have everything from new window scrapers to extra stock parts that are getting hard to find.

Other than some a tune/adjustments and an alignment, It's needing nothing mechanically. It's weird. I've always built these things... I've never just bought one and driven it. Oh well. That's part of being a dad. I figure at some point I'll have to paint it (since I plan on owning it for decades) and if I do, it will be a little easier to make modifications if I wish.

Should I keep my other project and make a hotrod that looks just like my stocker or should I finish it enough to sell it and use that money to fund the '69 Fastback for the wife? (She loves that car) I think the wife will win. She's been very supportive of my finding a car like this that I really like and she gets a kick out of it. She has no idea that they can be fast, so I may have to at least temporarily put the big engine in there. I would love to see the look on her face when I dump the clutch and crack 30 in about 2 seconds!
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 07-18-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      09-20-2010 06:13 PM #2
      I say keep it and do a Jeckyll/Hyde duo with the same style wheels, etc. I always thought that was a cool idea.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      09-20-2010 09:07 PM #3
      You're a lucky guy. Very beautiful, and kudos for keeping it unmolested. Survivors are to be cherished, IMO, but you know about my experience with one. I like the idea of you going for the Fastback, too.

Vehicles
      tonka truck, some old junk, a "few" motorcycles..
      09-20-2010 09:13 PM #4
      Awesome find, hope you have a blast with it!

Personally, I say keep the wife happy, build her a type III and keep the other one on the back burner. And eventually even 20 years from now build yourself a hell of a DKP style twin to this one.
      make shiny.
      If crazy paid the bills.. I'd be freaking rich.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      09-20-2010 09:45 PM #5
      nice little bug! enjoy!

6. 09-20-2010 10:00 PM #6
      Nice find!

I had to sell mine this summer, and I still miss it

Maybe I, too, have gotten old because after dumping tons of money restoring/modifying my bug I've decided I preferred it in its original state.

7. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 08:03 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      You're a lucky guy. Very beautiful, and kudos for keeping it unmolested. Survivors are to be cherished, IMO, but you know about my experience with one. I like the idea of you going for the Fastback, too.
      Yep. This one's not as nice as yours, but she's a fine car. Even the 6-volt wipers work well. I've never had one that I could say that about!

I suppose in a perfect world, I'd keep all 3, but I don't know if I can. I'm currently storing my (semi-dismantled) old '66 at work. We have 12,000 square feet there, and we only need about 1/2 that. That part is fine for now, but I still need money to finish it and the Fastback...

8. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 08:14 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
      Awesome find, hope you have a blast with it!

Personally, I say keep the wife happy, build her a type III and keep the other one on the back burner. And eventually even 20 years from now build yourself a hell of a DKP style twin to this one.
      That's my favorite idea. We're living on a budget and making do with our income, so money is a little tighter than it was. We went from a 30-year fixed mortgage (we were paying ahead, but technically had 28 years left) to a 10-year fixed. It put a damper on our monthly disposable, but will keep us in much better shape later. Within a year, it's all we'll owe anyone, so I may hold off that long to see if I can keep all 3. We have a 2-car attached garage and the plan is to build a second in about 4-5 years. If I still have it then, I will certainly keep it!

It's nice to see "DKP in a thread like this one, it tells me you're 'in the know'. Like you and Patrickman said, a Jekyll/Hyde approach is what I was thinking. Since the dismantled car has had rather extensive metal surgery, I don't feel funny doing evil things to it. If I keep it, I'll put a weld-in Gene Berg mid transaxle mount, I already have a Berg traction bar and I'll certainly upgrade the brakes (like in Aunt Bea). I have an 82mm crank and some Scat rods that I was going to build a 2110 with, but I sold the heads and pistons/cylinders when I decided I wanted to drop the other shoe and build a 2275... Now I just need carbs or injection, as my 40mm Dellortos ain't gonna cut it for that one!

09-21-2010 09:04 AM #9
      Great car. I'd keep it stock, too.

Rebuild the brakes completely with new rubber lines and forget the dual MC. There have to be about a billion of them out there that are working just fine as a single pot. That's what they make the emergency brake for.

My '55 Porsche is very much like your Bug in it's simplicity. However, you have the advantage of removing the body for rust repairs. Old Porsches should be so lucky.

If you're going to keep it 6-volt you might want to add the starter relay shunt that almost guarantees cold starting. Had to do it after my wife got tired of push starting.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      63 ranchero, 90 miata
      09-21-2010 09:07 AM #10
      Nice bug man. Seems no one ever owns just one aircooled. Can I ask you what kind of business do you own?

11. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 09:21 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Great car. I'd keep it stock, too.

Rebuild the brakes completely with new rubber lines and forget the dual MC. There have to be about a billion of them out there that are working just fine as a single pot. That's what they make the emergency brake for.

My '55 Porsche is very much like your Bug in it's simplicity. However, you have the advantage of removing the body for rust repairs. Old Porsches should be so lucky.

If you're going to keep it 6-volt you might want to add the starter relay shunt that almost guarantees cold starting. Had to do it after my wife got tired of push starting.
      I usually make them out of Ford starter solenoids, they're available in both 6 and 12 volt and are more than robust enough.

I would do the same as you suggest with the brakes, but since the new snap-on reservoirs are available, the only thing you have to do is fill it from underneath, leaving the original reservoir intact for original appearance. I'll be putting a little slip of paper with lamination attached to the original cap as a reminder just in case someone else wants to add brake fluid!

I don't envy you 356 guys on rust repair, that's for sure! I have a friend who has restored a few, including the Heinrich Sauter Porsche. I think it's a '51. They were rather lucky, as the odd custom sheet metal was intact and the only real rust issues were the nose, tail and floors, which were standard fare. Lucky indeed!

12. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 09:25 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by stolenface View Post
      Nice bug man. Seems no one ever owns just one aircooled. Can I ask you what kind of business do you own?
      We (my business partners and I) have a large-format printing business. My end of the business does color printing, including banners, courtroom displays and P.O.P. displays. We have 'blueprint' and color laser print departments as well.

13. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 01:43 PM #13
      I suppose I'll need to get more shots of it, including the engine. I will wait until I've rebuilt the original fuel pump, as the one that's in there now looks... completely wrong. It's unfortunate that the original caramel colored running boards are no longer available, but there's a sand color for a different year that works well. It's almost exactly the same color as the paint! I may ask for them for Christmas. New window rubber, the running boards and a little welding/paint under the fenders and I'll be good for years.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 2006 Ford Meatwagon, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      09-21-2010 01:56 PM #14
      Great find... LOVE the color. I had a '67 in fire-engine red. My wheels were not two-tone, IIRC. The exposed part of the wheel matched the car (i.e., red), and of course, the chrome dog-dish hub caps. Fun little car... broke my heart to part with it too.

15. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 02:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Geesixty View Post
      Great find... LOVE the color. I had a '67 in fire-engine red. My wheels were not two-tone, IIRC. The exposed part of the wheel matched the car (i.e., red), and of course, the chrome dog-dish hub caps. Fun little car... broke my heart to part with it too.
      The wheels you see here are correct for a '66 and '67 only. They have the flat hubcaps. I think in '67 they were painted silver, though. Were yours slotted like this or were they solid? Solid wheels are correct for '65 and earlier cars. Some of those were 2-toned to match the paintwork.

I was looking at a '62 turquoise car as well. It ran strong (modified) and had only been painted once, but this was a much more original car for less money. Mechanically, I like the '66 best, too. It's various mechanical upgrades are superior to the earlier cars, but they still have the early look to them. The only thing I don't like is that the interior was cheapened the same year. In '65 they still had 2-tone door panels, smooth vinyl seats in various colors (with contrasting piping) and white shifter/steering/etc. That was a good look. The interior in these cars are drab by comparison. If I could ever find the correct fabric, there's a cloth teak color that was available, but in all of my years of building/attending shows, I've never seen one.

09-21-2010 02:11 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I don't envy you 356 guys on rust repair, that's for sure! I have a friend who has restored a few, including the Heinrich Sauter Porsche. I think it's a '51. They were rather lucky, as the odd custom sheet metal was intact and the only real rust issues were the nose, tail and floors, which were standard fare. Lucky indeed!
      Thankfully, I won't have to deal with that issue. While it has been driven extensively in the rain since it was restored I've been careful to touch up any breeches in the rustproofing. It's stored indoors so it's likely to last a very long time.

The Pre-A cars are becoming more valuable as reproduction sheet metal is now readily available. It's pretty amazing what can be done with a car thought to be nearly reclaimed by Mother Nature.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 02:27 PM #17
      The Pre-A cars are becoming more valuable as reproduction sheet metal is now readily available. It's pretty amazing what can be done with a car thought to be nearly reclaimed by Mother Nature.
      Back then they weren't nearly as valuable and this one was "Too far gone if had been anything other than the Sauter car." They wouldn't have bothered with a 'mere' '51 standard car. Today they may feel a little differently, though!

09-21-2010 02:37 PM #18
      I don't know of I've told this story here before, but I bought 10 356s from my bank back in the early '80s for $1,000. There were a few Speedsters, several Cabrios and the rest Coupes. I flipped them the same day for a $1,000 profit and told everybody how smart I was.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

19. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 03:27 PM #19
      I don't know of I've told this story here before, but I bought 10 356s from my bank back in the early '80s for $1,000. There were a few Speedsters, several Cabrios and the rest Coupes. I flipped them the same day for a $1,000 profit and told everybody how smart I was.
      Now see, if you hadn't told me that I'd think you were pretty smart, too!

That's really an amazing story. I wish I'd had a shot at them, but in the early '80s I would've been in, or just out of, high school and had no resources. We missed out on the IBM/Microsoft/Yahoo explosion, too. Well I did, I can't say about you, though.

09-21-2010 03:33 PM #20
      Now see, if you hadn't told me that I'd think you were pretty smart, too!

That's really an amazing story. I wish I'd had a shot at them, but in the early '80s I would've been in, or just out of, high school and had no resources. We missed out on the IBM/Microsoft/Yahoo explosion, too. Well I did, I can't say about you, though.
      I bought 500 shares of Apple on opening at $29 a share. I tripled my money and sold. I used to torture myself, keeping track of what those original 500 shares would be worth today. When I was young everybody was talking about buying Xerox at $1.00 a share.

However, I did acquire, and still have, a pile of Ford stock at under $2.00 a share.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 2006 Ford Meatwagon, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      09-21-2010 03:49 PM #21
      The wheels you see here are correct for a '66 and '67 only. They have the flat hubcaps. I think in '67 they were painted silver, though. Were yours slotted like this or were they solid? Solid wheels are correct for '65 and earlier cars. Some of those were 2-toned to match the paintwork.
      Mine were solid... but that's not to say whether they were original or not.

Why do I feel like somebody just punched me in the gut?

I bought 500 shares of Apple on opening at $29 a share. I tripled my money and sold. I used to torture myself, keeping track of what those original 500 shares would be worth today. When I was young everybody was talking about buying Xerox at $1.00 a share
      If it makes you feel any better, my Uncle casually mentioned to me last weekend that he turned down a management position (with a rather handsome options package) in the early 1990's with Microsoft.

22. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2010 04:05 PM #22
      I bought 500 shares of Apple on opening at $29 a share. I tripled my money and sold. I used to torture myself, keeping track of what those original 500 shares would be worth today. When I was young everybody was talking about buying Xerox at $1.00 a share.

However, I did acquire, and still have, a pile of Ford stock at under $2.00 a share.
      Hmmm. You made nearly 30k net profit on Apple and your Ford stock looks promising. You're doing OK.
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 09-22-2010 at 09:40 AM.

23. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-22-2010 09:44 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Geesixty View Post
      Mine were solid... but that's not to say whether they were original or not.
      They were not. All '66 and '67 wheels were slotted (as in the photo) but the '66 was two-toned. I'm not sure about the paint on '67s. Edit: I just checked. '67s had 2-tone wheels as well. That's a good thing.

www.wolfsburgwest.com has a great website and complete color lists for early cars. I am getting a lot of my restoration parts from them. We have a local VW air-cooled shop ( www.happysauto.com ) and I get everything that I can from him so that I can support him. He stocks most everything, but if I need something odd or I'm particular about something (such as bumpers!) then I'll go to Wolfsburg West.
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 09-22-2010 at 09:47 AM.

24. 10-13-2010 03:27 PM #24
      build the sleeper, alternate days!
      yo bro-rick

Vehicles
      '13 ATS 2.0T, '13 Lexus RX350 AWD,'69 280SEL, '68 C10 SWB Stepside
      10-13-2010 03:35 PM #25
      love that color. it's my second favorite behind diamond grey, with fjord blue (the og color of my '59) in the third.
      so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

26. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-18-2010 02:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by northwind399 View Post
      yo bro-rick
      It's certainly tempting. I remember seeing a movie where Francis Beaver played a ruthless matriarch of a crime family. I need to find out her character's name and see if it's a good car name for the 'evil Aunt Bea'.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

27. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-25-2010 03:24 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by northwind399 View Post
      yo bro-rick
      Oh, hey! I didn't realize it was you! Next time I come down there, you'd better drive the damn thing!

28. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-25-2010 03:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by HASSELHOF View Post
      love that color. it's my second favorite behind diamond grey, with fjord blue (the og color of my '59) in the third.
      It's not my absolute favorite, but I like it a lot! I don't know if I could narrow it down to one color. Sealing wax red is way up there, though.

29. 01-14-2011 08:46 PM #29
      Nice find. Only 1 pic??? really????

30. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-19-2011 01:12 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by air skooled View Post
      Nice find. Only 1 pic??? really????
      It's winter. I'll have more pics as it gets warmer and cleaned-up. I need to detail the engine and put the original type of sheet metal screws in there. That kind of thing.

02-26-2011 04:03 PM #31
      It's not my absolute favorite, but I like it a lot! I don't know if I could narrow it down to one color. Sealing wax red is way up there, though.

I have a 1997 Eurospec Airccoled bug that is a very similar color.
      Personally, I adore the color of the car you posted.

32. 06-17-2011 05:39 PM #32
      It's winter. I'll have more pics as it gets warmer and cleaned-up. I need to detail the engine and put the original type of sheet metal screws in there. That kind of thing.
      it's summer doufus. when you going to bring her to Lanesville again?
      yo' bro.

06-17-2011 09:05 PM #33
      Car looks great. I know you have kids when a Phineas and Ferb reference is made.

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      06-17-2011 09:25 PM #34
      You should install the big motor in my bug and install my 1641 sp into yours.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-17-2011 09:38 PM #35
      Forgive me, but I want to show off my departed love, which was my dream car that I possessed for several years in the nineties and early '00s. It's story has been told before in TCL, so I won't bore anyone with it here. It was just so utterly beautiful, and damned near perfect in its complete, unblemished originality. 1965, sunroof sedan, a little over 30K miles but you'd never ever know it, and she looked, drove, and even smelled inside like a new one. I grieved when I sold her. Still do.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast