Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet "Aunt Bea" (air-cooled content/paging VWLarry)

1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-18-2010 01:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by northwind399 View Post
      build the sleeper, alternate days!
      yo bro-rick
      It's certainly tempting. I remember seeing a movie where Francis Beaver played a ruthless matriarch of a crime family. I need to find out her character's name and see if it's a good car name for the 'evil Aunt Bea'.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-25-2010 02:24 PM #27
      build the sleeper, alternate days!
      yo bro-rick
      Oh, hey! I didn't realize it was you! Next time I come down there, you'd better drive the damn thing!

3. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-25-2010 02:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by HASSELHOF View Post
      love that color. it's my second favorite behind diamond grey, with fjord blue (the og color of my '59) in the third.
      It's not my absolute favorite, but I like it a lot! I don't know if I could narrow it down to one color. Sealing wax red is way up there, though.

4. 01-14-2011 07:46 PM #29
      Nice find. Only 1 pic??? really????

5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-19-2011 12:12 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by air skooled View Post
      Nice find. Only 1 pic??? really????
      It's winter. I'll have more pics as it gets warmer and cleaned-up. I need to detail the engine and put the original type of sheet metal screws in there. That kind of thing.

02-26-2011 03:03 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It's not my absolute favorite, but I like it a lot! I don't know if I could narrow it down to one color. Sealing wax red is way up there, though.

I have a 1997 Eurospec Airccoled bug that is a very similar color.
      Personally, I adore the color of the car you posted.

7. 06-17-2011 04:39 PM #32
      It's winter. I'll have more pics as it gets warmer and cleaned-up. I need to detail the engine and put the original type of sheet metal screws in there. That kind of thing.
      it's summer doufus. when you going to bring her to Lanesville again?
      yo' bro.

06-17-2011 08:05 PM #33
      Car looks great. I know you have kids when a Phineas and Ferb reference is made.

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      06-17-2011 08:25 PM #34
      You should install the big motor in my bug and install my 1641 sp into yours.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      06-17-2011 08:38 PM #35
      Forgive me, but I want to show off my departed love, which was my dream car that I possessed for several years in the nineties and early '00s. It's story has been told before in TCL, so I won't bore anyone with it here. It was just so utterly beautiful, and damned near perfect in its complete, unblemished originality. 1965, sunroof sedan, a little over 30K miles but you'd never ever know it, and she looked, drove, and even smelled inside like a new one. I grieved when I sold her. Still do.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

11. 06-19-2011 04:53 PM #36
      my son and i had her sister, almost as nice, fresh 40hp. firewall cover came loose, sucked into fan housing, got hot enough to catch on fire and did. even warped the spring plates! nothing salvageable.

06-19-2011 04:56 PM #37
      Sad story.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      86' BMW 325e
      06-19-2011 06:04 PM #38
      i have a model car that looks exactly like that! ill try to find it and post a picture haha

Quote Originally Posted by SVT2888 View Post
      The car scene, much like the music scene, has a lot of genre's and even genre's within genre's. But, like those who call themselves real music fans, if you're a real automotive enthusiast you can find something in every genre that you like.

14. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-20-2011 03:28 PM #39
      it's summer doufus. when you going to bring her to Lanesville again?
      yo' bro.
      Heh. I'll bring her up on a weekend as soon as I get a little time. You and I can knock out a brake adjustment in record time!

15. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-20-2011 03:34 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Sad story.
      Yes. Yes it is. I sold it to him. It was a beautiful car. It wasn't as nice as Larry's, as his was original paint and this one was restored, but it was a damn fine car.

It got so hot that the door handles melted and ran down the doors.

Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 16v, 00 Jetta TDI, 07 Rabbit
      06-20-2011 04:27 PM #41
      Love the beetle! Reminds me of my dad's find of a 62 in more-or-less similar shape. That is a 1300 isn't it? Not the most common engine around if it is.

Larry: Yours is nice too! My dad raised me fixing a 65 that looked just like that. He sold it, only to buy an abandoned one to restore about 10 years later.

17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-20-2011 04:33 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by scidanw View Post
      Love the beetle! Reminds me of my dad's find of a 62 in more-or-less similar shape. That is a 1300 isn't it? Not the most common engine around if it is.

Larry: Yours is nice too! My dad raised me fixing a 65 that looked just like that. He sold it, only to buy an abandoned one to restore about 10 years later.
      Thanks!

Yep. The 1300 is a one year model here. Most all of the parts except for valves, valve seats, piston/cylinders are the same as other years and all of those are interchangeable in sets. New heads, pistons/cylinders will build a 1600 single-port that looks identical. It has unique connecting rods, too, but the only difference is it has rod bolts instead of rod nuts. They're exactly the same dimensionally as later rods.

Larry's is an order of magnitude nicer than mine, but one in the condition of Aunt Bea is still as rare as hen's teeth.

18. 07-02-2011 08:49 AM #43
      Thanks!

Yep. The 1300 is a one year model here. Most all of the parts except for valves, valve seats, piston/cylinders are the same as other years and all of those are interchangeable in sets. New heads, pistons/cylinders will build a 1600 single-port that looks identical. It has unique connecting rods, too, but the only difference is it has rod bolts instead of rod nuts. They're exactly the same dimensionally as later rods.

Larry's is an order of magnitude nicer than mine, but one in the condition of Aunt Bea is still as rare as hen's teeth.

you have to bore the 1300 heads to use the 1500/1600 jugs

19. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-18-2011 11:55 AM #44
      Well, I'm not quite sure what to do. Aunt Bea is starting to smoke (emphysema?) and I'll need to take the engine down at some point.

Do I split the case and do a complete rebuild or keep as many original parts in there as possible. I could re-ring/knurl the pistons, change exhaust valves and guides, put new rod bearings in without splitting the case and add gaskets/seals and keep her original as possible. That would also be quite inexpensive, which is a bonus right now. I would have a very original engine and would be able to detail it as it should be.

Do I change anything that can't be seen? Do I add 1600 pistons and cylinders like the rest of the 1300 engines? I could add a very small mileage cam and stiffer springs as well as a counterweighted crank for a little more power and longevity. I could probably get about 55-58 hp out of it with no visible mods (That's a 10-16% increase, believe it or not!) and it would be indistinguishable from a complete stocker.

The third thing I could do is put my 1775cc engine in there with period correct carbs (say a mid '70s look with Kadrons) and build the bone stocker and put it on the shelf. With 75-80 hp comes the need for increased braking/handling. I have the aforementioned Porsche 'B' brakes and Empi camber compensator, but I'm reluctant to install all of that even though it's all bolt-on.

What say ye, o Car Lounge?

07-18-2011 11:57 AM #45
      Keep it stock, and lower it.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda Fit Sport
      07-18-2011 12:03 PM #46
      I would say don't split the case if you don't have to. Check the endplay, make sure the front main bearing doesn't wobble in the case, and call it good. Maybe change rod bearings while you're in there. If it still holds decent oil pressure and doesn't leak, why take it apart? It's worked this long, right?

I would just do a top end rebuild and convert it to 1600, freshen the heads with a valve job and hardened exhaust seats, and replace the usual gaskets and seals.

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      07-18-2011 12:03 PM #47
      Man, I can't believe I never bothered to take photos of one of the neighbor's Beetle hotrod when I was in Mexico. For three years!

I'd drive by it every day going out of our condo complex (rich b*tches live there). It was a young couple and they drove an Acadia, she (hottie) drove a Mini, and I assume the Beetle was the toy weekend car.

I know nada about Beetles, but I know the setup looked pimp. And pricey. It looked WELL put together with serious money for such a toy essentially.

07-18-2011 12:07 PM #48
      Smoking can be a sign of stuck rings or valves. I'd ram some MMO or Seafoam down the carb, and then take it for a long drive. My '55 Porsche with a 1500 used to leak like a sieve and smoke like crazy, until I took it for a 3 hour cruise at 75 mph. Now it doesn't drip (much) and it doesn't smoke, either.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      07-18-2011 12:21 PM #49
      Personally I would split the case, have it all cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner, put in new bearings, stroker rods (if you want), do the big sp jugs and get the head reworked with a mileage cam etc.

The parts aren't expesnive and you could probably do the hole shebang for $500 or under.

I built a hybrid for my 70 which is also a sp. I turned it into a 1641cc using a 1976 fuel injected short block to which I mounted my sp jugs and a lightly (very lightly) massaged head. I'm running an electric fuel pump which feeds a Bosal 30/31. All through a bone stock exhaust and oil bath filter.

It's not fast but will cruise very nicely with 3 large adults at 80mph all day long and return 24mpg doing it. I've had a high of 37mpg on a back roads cruise and a low of 6 gallons per mile (fuel line popped off).

Good luck and whatever you do... POST PICS!!!

Here is a project I've recently revisited. I got it done and now have to open it back up to reinforce the base with an internal brace of bar stock since it twists a bit.

■■■■■■■■■■■■

25. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-18-2011 12:25 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Smoking can be a sign of stuck rings or valves. I'd ram some MMO or Seafoam down the carb, and then take it for a long drive. My '55 Porsche with a 1500 used to leak like a sieve and smoke like crazy, until I took it for a 3 hour cruise at 75 mph. Now it doesn't drip (much) and it doesn't smoke, either.
      It's possible that I got something loose that got under the rings, as I drive it with *ahem* - vigor compared to the previous owners. I suppose it sure wouldn't hurt to Seafoam it before I pull it down. If nothing else, it will be cleaner for me to work on!

Believe it or not, it doesn't drip a bit!

I've been using Brad Penn oil and this just started, so I wonder if the change in oil along with the change in driving style could have loosened the junk under the oil rings...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast