Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need DIY Heater Core Coolant Flush Instructions

Vehicles
      2004 / Audi / A4 USP, 2001 / Audi / S4, 2005 / VW/ Jetta GLI, 2001/ VW/ Jetta Wolfsburg
      09-27-2010 06:53 PM #1
      Hey y'all -

I recently bought a high mileage 2001 S4 and discovered that I have no heat. I was researching and found that some people would replace theirs and it would take them several hours, while the alternative is flushing the heater core since it is common that it is clogged.

I found a DIY thread on coolant flush here but could not find details to the job. Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do this and have picture or video illustrations?

It's getting pretty cold in Chicago, and I would love to have some heat

I bought a pearl white 2001 S4 in Elmhurst and the car fax had not service records, the previous owners misplaced the owner's manual, but the car seems to be well maintained. Wish i knew the owner so I could get some info.

Vehicles
      2004 / Audi / A4 USP, 2001 / Audi / S4, 2005 / VW/ Jetta GLI, 2001/ VW/ Jetta Wolfsburg
      09-28-2010 10:41 PM #2
      I called Audi (Orland Park) to find out why regular coolants won't work in my car. The technician told me because the base product would gel up in the cooling system. I told him I suspected having a clog in my heater core and I asked if flushing it may help...he says that he hadn't seen an issue like that resolved with flushing.

Ok, so I asked if the coolant is available by VW (Oak Lawn), because they were 20miles away and VW was 3miles away. He went on to tell me that only Audi sells it...right there I knew he was bull****ting me. His suggestion was to replace the heater core, so I went along and he gave me an estimate of $2600!

I asked VW the same thing and they gave me half that because the process may take awhile, but they would try flushing it first and then they go ahead and replace, so it may cost less. Technician was trying to get me there and then try to haggle me.

Watch out which Stealership you talk to!

Vehicles
      09-29-2010 03:17 AM #3
      Finally found what I was looking for, a picture tutorial. Link also has a lot of DIYs!

I am planning on doing this tomorrow and hoping that GOD blesses me with heat

Vehicles
      09-30-2010 03:48 PM #4
      IT WORKED!!!

I went to home depot to buy that 3/4" hose from plumbing, but that was too expensive ($34). So I purchased a home depot bucket and lid for only $4, then I went to Autozone and purchase 6' of 3/4" heater hose $7.50 [u may need up to 7']. I got it cut into 2 pieces...1.5' and 4.5'. So I fixed my heat for $12 instead of $180 coolant flush or replacing the heater core for the ridiculous price of $2600.

I attached like the tutorial said and flushed away. I saw the deposits getting flushed out into the bucket. I did the reverse to make sure it was clean too as suggested.

However, after I did it, I still got no heat.

The trick is to drive the car around for a few minutes and force the system to circulate itself, provided that there isn't another clog else where. While driving, i could feel a little heat. Then after I shut down the engine, I released the pressure cap and all the air that was in the system got release and then there was HEAT!

The reservoir might look like it is about to overflow, but allow it to sit, and run the engine a little again and it will go back to normal.

I will post the video of the flush here later!
      Last edited by tuntsfaah; 10-01-2010 at 12:28 AM.