Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear window wont go down... WHY?

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta Trek Edition, 2011 GTI, 2003 Jetta TDi
      10-04-2010 08:26 PM #1
      i have opened the door panel and saw that nothing look like its in bad condition. idk y it wont go down. i have a replacement motor/regulator/tracks just in case one is broken. also, when i open said door, the car light wont turn on but the other door that has a working window turns the light on if opened. does it have something to do with the other? like if the whole door isnt getting any power?

Vehicles
      Too many
      10-04-2010 08:35 PM #2
      dah lhgt and dah wdw have nothing 2 do with ech othr,.

3. Banned
      Vehicles
      Jettas.. Dodge Cummins, 1985 Trans Am,
      10-05-2010 12:45 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan J Reed View Post
      dah lhgt and dah wdw have nothing 2 do with ech othr,.
      Perhaps this forum could convert over to old school "text spelling"
      I could then be PISSED OFF CONSERVATIVE WHITE MAN all day long.

aaaAAAHHHHH... F..F...F ...F...F...Ohhhhhhhhh.Ga...Ga....GAAA....AAAAHHHHH HHH

Vehicles
      E36 328is, 2001 CBR 929rr
      10-05-2010 12:56 AM #4
      If the regulator looks fine and the motor isn't working, then that sounds pretty self explanatory. I just replaced my passenger side regulator a few days ago and once it was installed I still had to adjust some things so that it wasn't binding on the way up or the way down. Seems to work fine now. Try replacing it, and if the new one doesn't work you may have a bigger problem.

Good luck

Vehicles
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy)
      10-05-2010 09:04 AM #5
      Before you freak out too much and start replacing things, open the door and check the wiring first. When you open the car door look inbetween the door and the frame of the car. There will be a black rubber tube, this is what houses all the wires for the windows and other things.

Open that up on both ends, look for a 10-12 gauge red/yellow wire to see if it's broken or close to it. If it is broken all you have to do is fix that wire. While you're at it, now would be a great time to check each door for the same thing. It's apparently fairly normal for them to break or get damaged after many years on the cars. I checked my car a couple weeks ago after my right rear window just stopped working on me. After fixing that one I went to all the other doors which all had some damage to the wire.

When I first got the car a long time ago the left rear window didn't work, but that didn't matter much to me since I wasn't using it anyway. When the right rear window broke (which I use a lot) I dug into fixing the window...which in turn led to me fixing the other one too since it was so simple. All this time it was a broken wire lol.

Kei

Vehicles
      07 BMP GTI
      10-05-2010 10:03 AM #6
      wires are a bitch. why the **** do our cars need them!?!?!
      THE CBOX KREW
      There's always time for a GI Joe orgy

Vehicles
      Too many
      10-05-2010 12:04 PM #7
      I am far from conservative sir. But English - I am picky about it.

Vehicles
      07 BMP GTI
      10-05-2010 12:14 PM #8
      good or bad english?
      THE CBOX KREW
      There's always time for a GI Joe orgy

9. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      10-05-2010 12:15 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by lucas36963 View Post
      i have opened the door panel and saw that nothing look like its in bad condition. idk y it wont go down. i have a replacement motor/regulator/tracks just in case one is broken. also, when i open said door, the car light wont turn on but the other door that has a working window turns the light on if opened. does it have something to do with the other? like if the whole door isnt getting any power?
      I bet your factory alarm doesn't work correctly either.

On the door with the light does not work correctly, you have a broken light switch. I'd guess that if you look at the doorswitch in the doorjam, you'll find the rubber cover on it missing or torn. Because of this the switch is going to be contaminated. Buy a new switch with new rubber boot, and that should fix the problem (and cure the problem with the alarm system unless you have more broken switches or broken wires somewhere).

The non-functional power window? It's a MKIII, get used to the broken window repair war. The motor and regulator don't have to look bad to be dead. Could also be broken wires inside the rubber boot in the doorjam. No Mickey Mouyse repair is going to fix the problem. Either soldier the wires together properly, or can someone who can. Otherwise, you're only going to make your problems worse in the future.

When you get sick of pouring money into fixing the power windows, convert to manual windows.

Vehicles
      10-05-2010 05:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      I bet your factory alarm doesn't work correctly either.

On the door with the light does not work correctly, you have a broken light switch. I'd guess that if you look at the doorswitch in the doorjam, you'll find the rubber cover on it missing or torn. Because of this the switch is going to be contaminated. Buy a new switch with new rubber boot, and that should fix the problem (and cure the problem with the alarm system unless you have more broken switches or broken wires somewhere).
      you are right about the boot being missing.
      the alarm wasnt working once so i jumped the wire to bypass it. all my other windows work just fine. with the exception of the rear one. another pronlem i have is the passenger front window. i have to push the button up then down for it to move, however, when i use my keys to close or open all the windows it works fine. why is that?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      10-05-2010 07:16 PM #11
      Probably a bad window motor.

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 07:53 PM #12
      it def was the 10-12 gauge wire that was broken. i fixed it. thanks
      and the alarm does work, just not when i open said door since the dorswitch was broken

13. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      10-13-2010 09:03 PM #13
      and the alarm does work, just not when i open said door since the dorswitch was broken
      The alarm will not arm if the door, hood and trunk switches do not indicate to the alarm module that they are all closed.

Yeah, you can turn the key, or push the button if you have keyless, and the light on the door will start blinking if the door wiring is good, but the alarm is not armed. You can still open and close the doors without triggering the alarm system.

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 09:44 PM #14
      You're welcome

It's probably a smart move to go around, and check each one of the other doors now since you know what to look for. I have absolutely no doubts that you will find other wires that are not in tip top shape.

Kei

Vehicles
      10-14-2010 01:24 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      You're welcome

It's probably a smart move to go around, and check each one of the other doors now since you know what to look for. I have absolutely no doubts that you will find other wires that are not in tip top shape.

Kei
      thanks but theyre all good. i checked.

Vehicles
      10-14-2010 10:17 AM #16
      thanks but theyre all good. i checked.