Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: .:VRsixGLI 12v R32 Turbo Build Thread

Vehicles
      A Project
      10-26-2010 06:26 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by huichox4 View Post
      have you considered the surge tank from integrated engineering?? that will fit snug underneath the car for the fuel pump noise it will be one of the best options I think.
      Quote Originally Posted by XXX008XXX View Post
      you do not want those pumps inside the car, you are going to kill yourself. the flow control valve does exactly that, and it works very well.
      If i wound up running the pumps in the spare tire well I would definitely run a serious amount of sound deadening and seal the well off pretty good. That should severely cut down on noise. I have looked at integrated's pump and all I see is everyone saying how great they are but I could not find a single picture of one installed on anything let alone a mk4. I like their setups they look good but I would rather run an aeromotive pump rather than the bosch pumps. I looked around under the car several times and I could not come up with a place that looked suitable for the tank. The best place I figured to put it is where the green vacuum reservoir is located above the exhaust. Even if I put it there it would have to be custom because I do not think integrateds would fit there. The other thing I really do not like about mounting the tank under the car is if it gets ripped out from something on the road.

With this flow control valve I'm assuming there is no way to adjust the pressure without removing the trans? Is there anyone running one of these on a mk4?

Vehicles
      A Project
      10-29-2010 12:55 AM #72
      Worked on relocating the monsoon amp so I can install the battery in its location. That is done I just need to extend the harness this weekend. Pics will follow this weekend. Also working on cleaning up the fuse box on top of the battery. Forgot the power cables were actually strap fuses so I either need to install inline fuses or relocated the fuse box somewhere else. Picked up a 1/2" tubing bender from grainger today and a set heat shrink kit with all different sizes to finish up some wiring. Next I'm going to set up the two relays that will go in the trunk for the water pump and fuel pump. Should also be ordering the clutch next week too. I'm most likely going to go through with that trunk setup so im probably going to get that done in a week or two as well so I'm going to be ordering some sound deadening. I really like www.secondskinaudio.com for material. Pictures this weekend.

3. 10-29-2010 02:59 PM #73
      I also would advise that you do not have your fuel pump in your spare tire well. The chance of fuel spitting out inside the car is not a good thing.
      There has to be room in front of the rear end under the passenger seat
      Your water tank/pump inside your car is ok tho.

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-01-2010 07:22 PM #74
      Tank is most likely going in the tire well have not decided if the pump will be in there or not yet. Finished moving the amp. Ordered most of the items i need to delete the factory relay box that sits on top of the battery. Still slowly getting the wiring situated. Relocating the power wires to the new fuse block i purchased. I do not know where a couple of these connectors go though.

Driver side by the headlight

R32 029

These two connectors come out of the waterfall.

R32 030

Red wire with black casing

R32 032

Here is a picture of where I relocated the amp to.

R32 027

What is needed to fit Injector Dynamics ID1000's into the Schimmel Performance Manifold.

Anyone running the New South Performance power gasket?

5. Junior Member
      11-01-2010 08:23 PM #75
      The aeromotive pumps are not good compared to the bosch. The bosch pump is a factory porsche part- engineered for reliability. It pushes into high fuel pressure, whereas the aeromotive pumps do not work well into high pressure. The aeromotive stuff or equivalent was all the rage 5-7 years ago, until everybody realized they are meant for low boost domestics- they sound like a blender and get their biggest pumps get their butt kicked by a pair of bosch.

I would absolutely not mount the surge tank in the car. No matter what fuel system you use, it will have a fuel odor if it is in the cabin. It will be loud, and lastly, it most certainly will not be NHRA legal unless you build a fire wall over the assembly.

6. 11-02-2010 02:04 PM #76
      Holy Crap!!!!! Wow!!!!

Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-02-2010 02:07 PM #77
      What is your plan to make the Haldex work with the 12v ECU?
      United Motorsport 12.58@106 mph on 93 Octane
      Skela official test driver
      Texas Mile October 2010 171.6 mph

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-02-2010 03:11 PM #78
      According to Jeff Atwood its not an issue. I honestly have no clue though.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-02-2010 03:19 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by VRsixGLI View Post
      According to Jeff Atwood its not an issue. I honestly have no clue though.
      That is great to know, look forward to more updates on your build
      United Motorsport 12.58@106 mph on 93 Octane
      Skela official test driver
      Texas Mile October 2010 171.6 mph

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-02-2010 03:31 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by climbingcue View Post
      That is great to know, look forward to more updates on your build
      Thanks. Any insight on those connectors?

11. 11-02-2010 03:41 PM #81
      What is needed to fit Injector Dynamics ID1000's into the Schimmel Performance Manifold.
      Nothing. I have mine with a 034 -10 rail and they pop right in. Pretty sure they would work fine with the regular rail given with the SP manifold.

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-02-2010 03:43 PM #82
      Thanks for the help. How bout the injector connectors do they need to be changed?

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      11-02-2010 03:44 PM #83
      subd.
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-02-2010 05:14 PM #84

15. 11-02-2010 07:07 PM #85
      Thanks for the help. How bout the injector connectors do they need to be changed?
      Yes you have to get new connectors.

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-02-2010 07:33 PM #86
      Where did you order the connectors from and are you using the purple hats for the injectors?

17. 11-02-2010 10:41 PM #87
      how did you wire your pumps up? Did you make a new relay of a ignition life or just used the original fuel pump power and tap into that?

Vehicles
      e30, she rocks a B8
      11-02-2010 11:30 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by joerg_ View Post
      how did you wire your pumps up? Did you make a new relay of a ignition life or just used the original fuel pump power and tap into that?
      that pic is [admittedly] borrowed from another setup. R's have a big-a$$ hump in the middle of the spare well.

the fuel odor would be less concerning than the firewall necessary for a NHRA inspection. the fuel system has to be sealed for it to work right, so either it'll leak or it won't.

my build is eerily similar. different ex-mani & 3.2L being primary differences.

i think any injector larger than a 720-ish is gonna be overkill and possibly affect power negatively. your motor will handle more power than 500 whp, it's your head's ability to breathe that will hold you back. cams will allow more power. you should hold off on injectors until you sort cams and decide on a tune. (i purchased my injectors/tune together.)

as for surge-tanks....
      the IE one mounts very cleanly where the factory filter ass'y is. my caR rides lower than reason allows, and i'm considering it...primarily b/c of the noise. two 044's will make more noise than an open dump [inside the car]. and you def wanna run one (if not two) 044's. the A1000 is not well-suited to your application. the 044's will handle waaaay more power more smoothly AND more reliably. if you're die-hard about setting your surge tank and pump(s) in the trunk, check out Foffa's setup. it's very clean. you may also consider (as i am) a falsie to hide them in....like the air-riders do to hide pumps or tanks...something you can hide the equipment in, insulate for sound, but also open for access to your bits w/o having all your junk out and open in your trunk.

i have to assume you'll be running twin, open dumps. (if no, WTH are you doing all this work to make power?)

i look forward to this build coming to fruition as mine does. (i have a self-imposed March deadline for driving my R again)

hit me up anytime, and good luck.
      "I'm DrB and I approve this message."

instagram doktor_b

projekt oveRhaul - i hate my caR and i hate you too

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-03-2010 12:56 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by dr. b View Post
      that pic is [admittedly] borrowed from another setup. R's have a big-a$$ hump in the middle of the spare well.

the fuel odor would be less concerning than the firewall necessary for a NHRA inspection. the fuel system has to be sealed for it to work right, so either it'll leak or it won't.

my build is eerily similar. different ex-mani & 3.2L being primary differences.

i think any injector larger than a 720-ish is gonna be overkill and possibly affect power negatively. your motor will handle more power than 500 whp, it's your head's ability to breathe that will hold you back. cams will allow more power. you should hold off on injectors until you sort cams and decide on a tune. (i purchased my injectors/tune together.)

The head is fully built with over sized valves and 263 cams so there isn't really anything to sort. I only planned to run the ID1000's because there have been quite a few people having very good success with them. I agree they may be overkill but I haven't put much research into them. When I talked with Bill Schimmel he suggested to run Bosch 950s so I figured since the ID1000's were tested to supposedly out perform the bosch 950s that they would be a good move. As far as a tune I don't plan on buying an off the shelf tune so I shouldn't have to match injectors to a tune.

as for surge-tanks....
      the IE one mounts very cleanly where the factory filter ass'y is. my caR rides lower than reason allows, and i'm considering it...primarily b/c of the noise. two 044's will make more noise than an open dump [inside the car]. and you def wanna run one (if not two) 044's. the A1000 is not well-suited to your application. the 044's will handle waaaay more power more smoothly AND more reliably. if you're die-hard about setting your surge tank and pump(s) in the trunk, check out Foffa's setup. it's very clean. you may also consider (as i am) a falsie to hide them in....like the air-riders do to hide pumps or tanks...something you can hide the equipment in, insulate for sound, but also open for access to your bits w/o having all your junk out and open in your trunk.

Everything would definitely be mounted in the well and concealed under a false floor with sound deadening all around. I would be clean like everything else I wouldn't throw it all in there. I am not set on having it in the trunk it just seemed like the best bet since I really am afraid of ripping the tank out from under the car. I would love to run IE's setup since it would be so easy but I have yet to see a picture one installed. All I continue to read is how great they are but not a single installed picture. If they fit right where the factory filter is I will most likely be purchasing one. I would also most likely run the dual setup.

i have to assume you'll be running twin, open dumps. (if no, WTH are you doing all this work to make power?)

I did some research about this and pretty much concluded there was not much power to be had with running open dumps or recirculated gates other than an extreme increase in noise?

i look forward to this build coming to fruition as mine does. (i have a self-imposed March deadline for driving my R again)

I am 100% with you on the march deadline

hit me up anytime, and good luck.
      Thanks for the help I wish you luck in your build as well

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-03-2010 12:59 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by joerg_ View Post
      If you check out the pictures where I ran the battery cable you can see the other wire I ran for a 12v switched to wire the pumps. Since the battery is in the trunk I will be using the switch wired with a relay for the pumps to pull power right from the battery.
      That is not my picture.

21. 11-03-2010 03:12 AM #91
      Where did you order the connectors from and are you using the purple hats for the injectors?
      I have no hats. Just the injector.

http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ind...ector-kit.html

You need those.

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      11-03-2010 10:54 AM #92

I did some research about this and pretty much concluded there was not much power to be had with running open dumps or recirculated gates other than an extreme increase in noise?
      not to mention running open dump will throw off your 02 readings, so not the best idea for tuning your standalone. it also really does sounds like ass...

23. 11-03-2010 11:35 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by obdONE View Post
      not to mention running open dump will throw off your 02 readings, so not the best idea for tuning your standalone. it also really does sounds like ass...
      Would you care to explain how an open dump will mess up o2 readings on standalone? If you tuned for it, I see no problem. Most of the times when you recirculate the dump its after the o2 also.

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      11-03-2010 11:49 AM #94
      usually the dump tube pipes back into the DP just above the o2 sensor. I know on mine, the o2 sensor is 3" below where my dump tube comes back into the DP:

Allowing the dumped gasses and the turbo gasses to flow past the 02 sensor will just give the standalone that much more information to read, and allow you to more accurately fine tune your AFR targets.

obviously people do and have run open dump with success for a long time, so I'm not saying "you can't do that", "it won't work". Just for the best possible results, it's better to recirculate it back into the DP.

if my explanation doesn't do it for you, well then just stick to the fact that it sounds like ass.

25. 11-03-2010 12:01 PM #95
      haha. touche.

But your "fact" is an opinion.

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      11-03-2010 12:05 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by charlie hayes View Post
      haha. touche.

hahaha. i touche your touche!

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-06-2010 06:14 PM #97
      Wiring sucks

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '13 Accord v6, '13 CBR500r, '14 Accord 4dr
      11-07-2010 02:32 PM #98
      haha. touche.

hahaha

but seriously his opinion has a very logical theoretic background. It must prove that the exhaust gas is not uniform, which shouldn't be hard to comprehend.
      One 02 sensor takes the average mixture from all cylinders, we understand that not all cylinders have the same mixutre, especially from something like a VR x-flow head. (ie. its been shown on super high HP vr's one of the back cylinders is always first to go, most likely from fueling).
      Than understanding where your WG is actually positioned, on many cast mani VR's its always on the corner, its logical to undertand that the flow gated from that port will have a higher percentage of exhaust gas from the closest cylinders, if its dumped than the average 02 reading is from the larger percentage of the remaining cylinders......

If you have a collector type manifold, gating off the collector should keep you closer to the true overall average among all cylinders.....

IMO
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = Part out PM me for anything

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      11-07-2010 04:23 PM #99
      haha. touche.

Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      hahaha

but seriously his opinion has a very logical theoretic background.

thanks for backing me up, brother

however, Charlie was commenting on me saying that it was a "fact" that open dump sounds like shi_t, not that my explanation of why running open dump would throw off o2 readings.

Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      11-07-2010 06:03 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by obdONE View Post
      open dump has ZERO effect on 02 readings.

the sensor is measuring ratio, not volume.

31. 11-07-2010 10:30 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by TBT-Syncro View Post
      open dump has ZERO effect on 02 readings.

What I was going to get at but I didn't want to screw up this thread with a crazy debate or fight. I have never heard of an open dump causing problems with anything except for the opinions whether it sounds bad or good.

Vehicles
      95 VRT
      11-07-2010 11:28 PM #102
      I'm not here to fight either or mess up this thread. I'm very excited to see the end result!

I have heard both arguments and rationals as to why one is better and vice versa. At the end of the day I'm sure the OP will be happy with whatever he chooses because it will be what he chooses.

Back on track!

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '13 Accord v6, '13 CBR500r, '14 Accord 4dr
      11-09-2010 01:37 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by TBT-Syncro View Post

A ratio from a percent of that whole = not 100% perfect... come on you know this
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = Part out PM me for anything

Vehicles
      83 Rabbit - 02/04 .:R32 Jetta wagon - 04 .:R32 - E30 325i & Alfa GTV6 Chumpcar Racecars
      11-09-2010 01:52 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by GTijoejoe View Post
      A ratio from a percent of that whole = not 100% perfect... come on you know this
      look at the tip of your sensor, that's the only part that picks up exhaust gases, the rest that goes around it it goes not measured, the gases are well mixed by all the turbulence created while collecting in the exhaust manifold and when going through the turbine wheel and no other gas, air, nor anything is being introduced to the system so an open dump reading is just as good as a recirculated one. on a better note your wastegate opens when full boost is reached which for the most part it will remain closed(boost dependent).

open dump is better because it also reduces pressure from the exhaust, when the gases are re introduced they will create even more turbulence which is not ideal once the gases are flowing after the turbine. if you don't like the noise you could muffle it somehow.
      Last edited by huichox4; 11-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Vehicles
      A Project
      11-13-2010 03:13 AM #105
      Figured out what the connectors were. The two larger connectors are supposed to go together except the 12v harness has an early style connector and the R32 body harness has a newer style connector. So I had to go the junk yard to day. Found the newer style plug from a 2.0. Had to buy some repair wires from the dealer to repin the connector. Now my buddy has been helping me trace through wiring diagrams from the 12v and R32 to line up the color codes to solder on the new plug. VERY FUN. Wiring is almost complete. Once that is done its smooth sailing.

Transmission has been completely disassembled for new syncros and shift forks.

Moving slowly along.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast