Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: unleaded in my 2010 tdi

1. 10-05-2010 10:41 PM #1
      Recently premium regular gasoline was put in my 2010 jetta tdi and driven one mile until power was lost and the car pulled over and subsequently towed to a VW dealership. The dealership told me the entire fuel system needs to be replaced at the tune of about $4000.00. I said yikes. My 2000 tdi golf had this happen and all that was needed was to drain the system. Am I being taken for a ride by this stupid mistake by VW or is it true this is a 4k mistake? thanks for your time.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-05-2010 10:54 PM #2
      What do they plan to replace for $4,000? People who have had HPFP failures have paid up to $8,000 to replace the fuel system.

How did the misfueling happen? Full serve? Self serve? What does the receipt say. You might be able to get the station to pay for it. You might also be able to get your auto and/or homeowner's insurance to pay for it.

But whatever you do, get it away from the dealer and to an independent VW/foreign mechanic.

Also, print this out and take it to the indie. It should cost you $400 instead of $4,000

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=288971

3. 10-05-2010 11:06 PM #3
      Green handle syndrome and not paying attention was the culprit, as was the towing to the dealership 80 miles away (Denver). Thanks for the info. I thought 4k was way too much. Insurance won't cover it.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-06-2010 12:39 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by baldtimwin View Post
      Green handle syndrome and not paying attention was the culprit, as was the towing to the dealership 80 miles away (Denver). Thanks for the info. I thought 4k was way too much. Insurance won't cover it.
      Several people have reported having their comprehensive or home owner's cover the repair. Have you called your agent?

Vehicles
      something new coming soon
      10-06-2010 02:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by baldtimwin View Post
      Have you had a lawyer write a letter to the station saying they were misrepresenting their fuel? (just a thought)

You are not the first person I have seen report the Green Handle syndrome.
      My boss from the farm did this to his diesel pickups several times..
      When traveling make sure you read the pump the handle is on.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-06-2010 05:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by woofie2 View Post
      Have you had a lawyer write a letter to the station saying they were misrepresenting their fuel? (just a thought)

You are not the first person I have seen report the Green Handle syndrome.
      My boss from the farm did this to his diesel pickups several times..
      When traveling make sure you read the pump the handle is on.
      How is a green handle "misrepresenting their fuel"? There is NO STANDARD for fuel nozzle colors in the USA.

I recently drove ~7,000 miles from Massachusetts to California, to OR and back to MA to attend TDIFest '10. I saw red, yellow, green, black, and blue Diesel fuel nozzles. I also saw all the above colors on the gas nozzles. One station had green hoses on the Diesel pumps, but red nozzles at the end of the green hose.

The one thing in common with all these pumps was the word DIESEL printed in big letters, and the decal about "ULSD 15ppm Sulfur".

Vehicles
      1981 Rabbit Diesel LX Pickup, 1995 Audi A6 Quattro Avant
      10-07-2010 01:14 AM #7
      Get your car back from the dealer. Syphon as much of the fuel out of the tank as you can (pump that mount on the end of a drill, cheap 12v generic fuel pump with a hose run down into the tank, etc.). Replace the fuel filter and prefill it with diesel if possible. Dump 5 or 10 gallons of diesel into the fuel tank and crank the engine with your foot held to the floor, in 15 second bursts, until it fires and runs.

Once it's running, go fill it up with diesel and take a drive.
      "Yeah, I know it smokes and knocks. What's your point."

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-07-2010 02:07 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by austinado16 View Post
      Get your car back from the dealer. Syphon as much of the fuel out of the tank as you can (pump that mount on the end of a drill, cheap 12v generic fuel pump with a hose run down into the tank, etc.). Replace the fuel filter and prefill it with diesel if possible. Dump 5 or 10 gallons of diesel into the fuel tank and crank the engine with your foot held to the floor, in 15 second bursts, until it fires and runs.

The OP isn't driving an old 1.6 Rabbit. The fuel system on this car costs up to $8,000 to replace. The link I posted in my first response details the procedure for defueling an '09+ TDI. Any competent mechanic should be able to follow it.

As much gasoline as possible needs to be flushed from the system, which pretty much means all the gasoline needs to be flushed. This includes the lines from the tank to the filter, filter to the Aux Pump, Aux Pump to the HPFP, rail, injections, overflow system.

The intank pump can be used to evacuate the bulk of the contaminated fuel.

Flooring a TDI does nothing while cranking. The ECU controls the injection event while cranking.

The tank can't be syphoned dry through the filler tube as there's a baffle where the filler enters the tank.

9. 10-07-2010 02:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by austinado16 View Post

That's what I did when it happened to me. It was a rough start, but it finally started. It's been 6 years and no components of the fuel system have ever been replaced.

Vehicles
      10-07-2010 03:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by TDI_Dunc View Post
      That's what I did when it happened to me. It was a rough start, but it finally started. It's been 6 years and no components of the fuel system have ever been replaced.
      this may work if the Piezo electric injectors have not fried.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-07-2010 05:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TDI_Dunc View Post
      With a 6+ year old TDI, yes, you can do this. A 2010 is a much different vehicle than what you drive.

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit p/u 1.6 td
      10-08-2010 03:02 PM #12
      There was a call in on Car Talk of a similar nature (diesel in a gas powered car) and the dealership also wanted thousands to fix it (replace all fuel components). They said it is very possible to do at your local mechanic instead for a few hundred without replacing everything. Caller did this, called back later to report that all was well. Good luck!

Vehicles
      10-08-2010 06:24 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by punkvideo81 View Post
      There was a call in on Car Talk of a similar nature (diesel in a gas powered car) and the dealership also wanted thousands to fix it (replace all fuel components). They said it is very possible to do at your local mechanic instead for a few hundred without replacing everything. Caller did this, called back later to report that all was well. Good luck!
      Diesel in a gas car is similar, but the ramifications are totally different,

on a 2010 CR TDI motor,

The fuel pump, HPFP and injectors are lubricated and cooled by fuel, thus running out of fuel or putting in the wrong fuel can have serious ramifications.

The HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) is prone to failure by lower lubricity fuel even when running Ultra low sulphur Diesel #2. The wax and oils in diesel is quickly dissolved by gasoline, thus rapidly reducing the lubrication provided to critical system components.

the electrically fired injectors may be damaged, as well as the nozzles damaged by burning a faster burning light fuel. basically the injector nozzle holes weld shut.

Older Diesels are not as bad about failures due to different fuel conditions, except maybe fuel pump seal failure due to changing the fuel. ULSD causing the injection pumps to start leaking, or leaks to become worse.

My mother put Gasoline in her 1980 Rabbit 3 or 4 times, and it never hand any problems, just we we drained the gas out our lawn mower smoked really bad the rest of the summer.

14. 10-08-2010 11:54 PM #14
      well, there are a lot of folks who open their mouth and just talk nonsense eh!
      and yeah, the word diesel kinda gives it away on the pumps at the filling station, I find myself triple checking every time I fill the audi TDi - as my other car is a jdm subaru legacy twin turbo so I have to switch fuels depending on what im driving so i tend to PAY ATTENTION!

After driving a mile until the petrol hit the HPIP, the fuel will have no doubt damaged the pump, of that I can just about guarantee. the hpip raises diesel pressure to huge values, in the region of 1600 bar, and at those pressures the petrol will strip every scrap of diesel out of the pump and it will have worn the displacement parts in the pump-head very badly by the time the engine came to a halt.

Anyway, the sensible thing to do, is go to an independent mechanic who actually knows what they are doing, and let them try and fix it, bit by bit till its working, only a dumb **** dealer would replace the whole lot, shotgun style, but you would have killed your warranty on the motor by doing this anyway if left with the dealer and he has submitted the job to VW with your registration details since the car is so new (and would have been under the manufacturers warranty so the dealer would have to report the failure to VW themselves to satisfy his obligation as a VW dealer)

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-09-2010 11:38 AM #15
      There may be damage, but it may not warrant an entirely new fuel system. Open the fuel filter and look for metal flakes.

Purge the system, replace the fuel filter, refill with fresh Diesel and a good shot of additive--Power Service, Stanadyne, even some bioDiesel.

Start it up and see what happens. After 5,000 open the fuel filter and inspect for metal flakes. Check again 5,000 later. If you don't see any, you'll probably be OK.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      10-09-2010 06:01 PM #16
      I doubt there is any damage at all if the car died within a mile of the fill..

Get the car back, get the gas out of it, fill it with diesel and purge the system.

17. 10-11-2010 08:58 AM #17
      There should be nothing wrong with your fuel system especially if you only drove a mile there should have been more than enough diesel in your diesel filter and lines to drive more than a mile so very little gas must have got to the engine if none.Just drain the tank and replace diesel filter add some fresh diesel and start it up, let it run for while before taking it for a spin to top up .The dealership is definately taking you for a ride.Save your cash and dont let the stealership touch your car.
      Lets do this!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-11-2010 10:00 PM #18
      The rail and injectors need to be drained. If you're going to drain the tank and lines, you may as well take the extra steps and drain everything. The injectors for the CR engines are VERY expensive.

19. 10-22-2010 11:18 PM #19
      Don't take it to the dealer...you don't know what you're talking about. That system runs 28,000psi...the holes in the injector nozzles are so small that the filings created by the high pressure pump running on gas clogs them. If you don't have the system repaired properly, you lose your warranty.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-23-2010 04:31 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by cadifornia View Post
      There should be nothing wrong with your fuel system especially if you only drove a mile there should have been more than enough diesel in your diesel filter and lines to drive more than a mile so very little gas must have got to the engine if none.Just drain the tank and replace diesel filter add some fresh diesel and start it up, let it run for while before taking it for a spin to top up .The dealership is definately taking you for a ride.Save your cash and dont let the stealership touch your car.
      the fuel pump circulates fuel thru it the whole time the car is running, it only takes about 2 seconds for the gas to get from the tank, into the pump, and out to the injectors.. so gasoline DEFINITELY got to everywhere in the fuel system..

21. 10-25-2010 09:32 AM #21
      It does not take long to damage the HPFP with gasoline. If the engine shut down on its own, than gasoline made it to the HPFP and injectors. Ive already seen several CR fuel systems replaced due to gasoline and HPFP failure. The metal particals are very hard to remove from fuel system and if there not removed properly you can damage the new componants that need to be replaced. Entire fuel system should be replaced if there is excessive metal in fuel filters.

22. 10-26-2010 10:45 PM #22
      your best bet is to do what i had to do to my friends 2009 jetta tdi his mom put gas in it on accident and drove it about 5 mile before it stoped.
      1st syphon out the gas
      while its drainin the tank take an air compressor (and a 12v tire inflator will work) and blow out the sending line back into the tank
      3rd replace the fuel filter
      4th fill the filter with diesel and replace
      5h put about 5 gallons and put lucas tune up in a bottle (you can get at any auto parts store) in the tank
      6th bump the engine with the key about 5 times (this should flush the lines and prime the sending line)
      8th crank for 20 seconds at a time till it starts than let run for at least 30 min
      9th fill the tank and add lucas tune up in a bottle every fill up for the next 2 or 3 fill ups and you should be good
      Haters made me Famous, Bags are for groceries, Useless wings are for penguins, and never buy a car you cant push.
      That is all

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      10-27-2010 10:32 AM #23
      Just do this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=288971

It's a couple hours of labor and will get all the gasoline out of the fuel system.

24. 10-27-2010 01:49 PM #24
      Thanks everyone for the ton of information. The short story-there was metal in the fuel filter. The fuel system was replaced, My warranty is valid, VW did the work, and it was expensive. Car is running well.

Vehicles
      '96 B4 1Z TDI sedan, '12 Jetta TDI 6spd manual
      10-27-2010 03:10 PM #25
      back in the day when i took my 01 GTI in for an oil change, some old lady put unleaded in her TDI Golf and pushed all the valves into the cylinder head like it was a playdoh mold...the tech said they were going to have to flush the fuel system and replace the entire head and up and replace the pistons. Dunno how far she drove it, but it took it a while apparently to cause all that damage.

Vehicles
      02 jetta 1.8t
      10-27-2010 11:24 PM #26
      4k seems cheap i had a guy im my dealer drop 9k on his fuel system the 2.0 tdi injection system is very delicate gas does not lubracate the pump then metal gets pumped through the system resulting in total fuel system replacement
      i wish my grass was emo so it would cut it's self

Vehicles
      '96 B4 1Z TDI sedan, '12 Jetta TDI 6spd manual
      10-28-2010 02:39 PM #27
      Oh man..I hope I never have to do that. Never.. That would break my heart, and bank, to have my Dub out of commission like that.