Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: At What Port are VW's loaded?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-12-2010 02:51 PM #36
      Does anyone know what kind of terminology VW uses in the order system?

My car was originally slated to leave Emden on the 15th, and arrive into Halifax on the 25th. I checked the other day to see if it was built and left the factory, and the status is "in transit from factory" which they say means it's on the ship in the ocean somewhere. This doesn't make sense with the dates of this particular ship, but there is a ship coming to Halifax that left Emden on the 7th, but it's not supposed to be on that ship. If the car is sitting at Emden waiting, does the status normally say something like "awaiting at departure port?". If it basically says "in transit from factory" as soon as it leaves Wolfsburg I guess I can assume it will be on the second ship.
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      2011 CSG 2DR MAN 6MT W/SUNROOF OTW
      10-12-2010 03:00 PM #37
      I got an updated list of ETA's for my car:

Order Entry -08/31/10
      Marked Sold Order - 09/01/10
      Vehicle Assigned - 0831/10
      Release to Manuf. - 09/02/10
      Release for Production -09/14/10
      Factory Inspected - 10/07/10
      Departure Port Arrived - 10/08/10
      Ship Loaded - ETA 10/15/10
      Port Arrived - ETA 10/29/10
      Dealer Invoice -
      Port Hold End -
      Rel. to Carrier - 11/09/10
      Rail Load -
      Rail Unload -
      Truck Load -
      Dealer Delivered -ETA WEEK OF 11/15/10

So it looks like it will be coming on the precious ace which is in bremerhaven right now and due in emden on the 15th. woot
      Last edited by joetron; 10-12-2010 at 03:04 PM.

3. Former Advertiser TurboPaul@MillenniumVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2005 GLI BMP 6MT 1999 Yukon SLT
      10-12-2010 03:04 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by RedRabidRabbit View Post
      Does anyone know what kind of terminology VW uses in the order system?

My car was originally slated to leave Emden on the 15th, and arrive into Halifax on the 25th. I checked the other day to see if it was built and left the factory, and the status is "in transit from factory" which they say means it's on the ship in the ocean somewhere. This doesn't make sense with the dates of this particular ship, but there is a ship coming to Halifax that left Emden on the 7th, but it's not supposed to be on that ship. If the car is sitting at Emden waiting, does the status normally say something like "awaiting at departure port?". If it basically says "in transit from factory" as soon as it leaves Wolfsburg I guess I can assume it will be on the second ship.
      As soon as your car is built and factory inspected, the status changes to "Intransit from Factory". It stays that way from the factory to the port, to the ship, and until it is unloaded at the US port, when it changes to "Port Stock".

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-12-2010 03:29 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboPaul@MillenniumVW View Post
      As soon as your car is built and factory inspected, the status changes to "Intransit from Factory". It stays that way from the factory to the port, to the ship, and until it is unloaded at the US port, when it changes to "Port Stock".

Ok, so it's safe to assume it will be on the Precious Ace leaving on the 15th, along with joetron's car .
      Teefy Buna

I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      10-12-2010 03:34 PM #40

Paul any idea if any other ports besides Emden processes US bound Volkswagens? Also would the ordering dealer know which port the vehicle is coming in through on US soil?
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-12-2010 03:46 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      Paul any idea if any other ports besides Emden processes US bound Volkswagens? Also would the ordering dealer know which port the vehicle is coming in through on US soil?
      Your car has got to be on the SL, I don't know what else it could be on. Maybe it's just a few days ahead of schedule, because that logistics sheet was made up in September it looks like. It also says US East is definately Brunswick.

Edit: Double check with your dealer, they will absolutely know which port the car comes in, they probably check stock there almost every day.
      Teefy Buna

10-12-2010 03:59 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGolfTDI View Post
      The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't ship loaded in Emden. It's possible that it arrived in Emden on 9/29 and was then transported to Zeebrugge or Bremerhaven. Which goes back to the original question of this thread. Are we sure that 100% of VW cars are shipped from Emden? I've found two different Ro-Ro ports in Zeebrugge that list VW as references.
      My research revealed all NAR Golf/GTI cars are loaded at Emden.

There are indeed other VW badges loaded at other ports in the area, but our cars are shiped via rail from Wolfsburg to Emden.

Here's another idea:

Go to your dealer (or call him/her) and check the window stickers of Golfs/GTIs for the port of entry. That should settle the "which port is it arriving at?" question, letting you track back to the proper ship.
      Last edited by sfpegasus; 10-12-2010 at 04:05 PM.
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

10-12-2010 04:20 PM #43
      Another tip: Money talks when trying to get your car out of the port.

When my ship arrived, I asked Mico how to expedite the port process. Sold/Paid orders get some sort of priority at the port, which mine did. As soon as I wrote the check, Mico faxed the paperwork to the port.

My original ETAs:
      Rel. to Carrier (Port) 12/21/2009
      Dealer Delivered Week of 01/04/2010

I picked up the car on December 15.

2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth

9. Former Advertiser TurboPaul@MillenniumVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-12-2010 05:38 PM #44
      There is a website that the dealers can check for shipping info, but I have never known the password, or anybody else that had the password, and honestly just never cared, since I know where my cars are.

IIRC, you are in Florida, right? Your car will definitely go through Brunswick. Brunswick handles the southeastern states. Houston handles cars for the southwest and central states. We get ours from Rhode Island, and San Diego handles the west coast.

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      10-12-2010 06:09 PM #45
      There is a website that the dealers can check for shipping info, but I have never known the password, or anybody else that had the password, and honestly just never cared, since I know where my cars are.

IIRC, you are in Florida, right? Your car will definitely go through Brunswick. Brunswick handles the southeastern states. Houston handles cars for the southwest and central states. We get ours from Rhode Island, and San Diego handles the west coast.

Except for Washington apparently -- I just heard from my rep who confirmed that all cars bound for Seattle arrive at port in Houston. Kinda weird that it wouldn't be SD -- it must be cheaper to rail them up here from Houston somehow...

10-12-2010 06:21 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Humpzilla View Post
      Except for Washington apparently -- I just heard from my rep who confirmed that all cars bound for Seattle arrive at port in Houston. Kinda weird that it wouldn't be SD -- it must be cheaper to rail them up here from Houston somehow...
      Rail is FAR less expensive than trucking from San Diego. A lot less damage, too.

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      10-12-2010 07:02 PM #47
      I know this is a bit off-topic, but I stumbled across this article about the salvage operation of the 'Cougar Ace' on Wired. Incredibly well written article...totally worth the read if you have a few minutes to kill.

Cougar Ace was the ship that ended up on its side with over 4,000 Mazdas on board. Yikes.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...urrentPage=all

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      10-12-2010 08:02 PM #48
      Your car has got to be on the SL, I don't know what else it could be on. Maybe it's just a few days ahead of schedule, because that logistics sheet was made up in September it looks like. It also says US East is definately Brunswick.

Edit: Double check with your dealer, they will absolutely know which port the car comes in, they probably check stock there almost every day.
      I'll double check with my dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by sfpegasus View Post
      My research revealed all NAR Golf/GTI cars are loaded at Emden.

There are indeed other VW badges loaded at other ports in the area, but our cars are shiped via rail from Wolfsburg to Emden.

Here's another idea:

Go to your dealer (or call him/her) and check the window stickers of Golfs/GTIs for the port of entry. That should settle the "which port is it arriving at?" question, letting you track back to the proper ship.

Paul, yes in Florida. Is this the website you were talking about!? http://www.volkswagen-logistik.de/en/services.html

and the quest continues!
      Last edited by quailallstar; 10-12-2010 at 08:05 PM.
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 03:25 AM #49
      I know this is a bit off-topic, but I stumbled across this article about the salvage operation of the 'Cougar Ace' on Wired. Incredibly well written article...totally worth the read if you have a few minutes to kill.

Cougar Ace was the ship that ended up on its side with over 4,000 Mazdas on board. Yikes.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...urrentPage=all
      Excellent reading material. I find it hard to believe that a car sitting at a 60 degree angle for so long could have issues down the road. They could've at least sold them at auction.

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 09:35 AM #50
      The Precious Ace is on her way to Emden

16. Former Advertiser TurboPaul@MillenniumVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-13-2010 10:13 AM #51

Paul, yes in Florida. Is this the website you were talking about!? http://www.volkswagen-logistik.de/en/services.html

and the quest continues!
      Nope, that's not it.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      10-13-2010 10:39 AM #52

and the quest continues!
      Nope, that's not it.

It was worth a shot.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      10-13-2010 10:49 AM #53
      Site that talks more about Brunswick, GA RORO port

http://www.gaports.com/Facilities/Co...minalRoRo.aspx

Look at that B6 Passat rolling off the vessel

Overview
      Terminal Owner/Operator
      GEORGIA PORTS AUTHORITY

Distance From Sea Bouy
      15 NAUTICAL MILES

Channel Width
      400FT (121.9M)

Channel Project Depth
      36FT (11M) AT MLW

Tidal Range
      7.6 FT (2.3 M)

Turning Basin
      South Brunswick River 1,200 FT (365.8M) in Diameter

Bridge Vertical Clearance
      185FT (56.4M) AT MHW (HIGH LEVEL, FIXED-SPAN DESIGN)

Bridge Horizontal Clearance
      UNRESTRICTED

Cargo Handled
      RORO and PROJECT CARGO

Terminal Acreage
      1,700-PLUS ACRES (688-PLUS HECTARES)

Autoport Facility (inclusive of 900 acres for future development excluding infrastructure)
      1,268 ACRES (513.1 HECTARES)

Paved Open Storage
      346 ACRES (140 HECTARES)

Berthing
      Berth 1

Berth 2

Berth 3

Wharf Length
      550 LINEAR FT (168M)

750 LINEAR FT (229M)

550 LINEAR FT (168M)

Total Berthing Length
      1,215LINEAR FT (370M)

925 LINEAR FT (282M)

1,215 LINEAR FT (370M)

Apron Width
      150 LINEAR FT (46M)

35 LINEAR FT (11M)

150 LINEAR FT (46M)

Depth Alongside
      36FT AT MLW (11M)

40FT AT MLW(12M)

36FT AT MLW (11M)

Dock Height
      14.5FT AT MLW (4.4M)

14.5FT AT MLW (4.4M)

14.5FT AT MLW (4.4M)

Lighted Docks & Roads
      24 HOURS PER DAY

Expansion capabilities include the construction of up to 2 additional berths.

AUTO PROCESSORS
      Amports Atlantic Vehicle Processors
      BMW of North America, LLC International Auto Processing, Inc.

OCEAN CARRIERS
      Hoegh Autoliners American Ro-Ro Carriers
      K-Line America Inc. Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics
      NYK Bulkship (USA), Inc. Mitsui Osk Bulk Shipping (USA), Inc.
      Eukor

COLONEL'S ISLAND NEIGHORS

Allied Universal Atlantic Vehicle Processors, Inc. GPA Grain Distribution Facility
      Amports International Auto Processing, Inc.
      BMW of North America, LLC

AUTOMOBILE TRUCKING LINES

Alaplex Transportation, Inc. Allied Systems
      ATC Logistics* Axis Group
      Blue Thunder Auto Transport* Centurion Auto Transport
      Crown Auto Transport & Logistics Company Dixon Auto Transportation
      Fleet Car Carriers* Hansen & Atkins*
      Intercity Lines Jack Key Auto Transport
      Proficient Auto Transport, Inc. Sunbelt Auto Carriers, Inc.
      Supreme Auto Transport, Inc. The Waggoners Trucking*
      *Automobile trucking lines with offices on Colonel’s Island.

AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURERS WITH OFFICES ON COLONEL'S ISLAND

Glovis America, Inc. Jaguar Cars Land Rover North America
      Porsche Cars of North America, Inc. SAAB Cars USA, Inc. Volkswagen of America, Inc.
      BMW North America, LLC Volvo Cars of North America, Inc.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 02:49 PM #54
      WooT Precious Ace in en route to Emden

Doh! Joe beat me to it
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      10-13-2010 03:22 PM #55
      WooT Precious Ace in en route to Emden

Doh! Joe beat me to it
      Pshh, forget the Precious Ace....It's all about the Athens Highway!! Which...apparently is now anchored near Brixham...which as far as I can tell is a small fishing town. I don't think they are loading cars there. Maybe they are picking up some cheap hookers after their voyage across the Atlantic? HURRY UP AND GET ON TO EMDEN!!

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 04:59 PM #56
      hmm it looks like it's sailing right past emden and not turning into the port even though emden is listed as it's final destination. Unless there's a specific lane it has to follow to go into port. It looks like the cosmos venture is going to beat it to port.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 05:47 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
      hmm it looks like it's sailing right past emden and not turning into the port even though emden is listed as it's final destination. Unless there's a specific lane it has to follow to go into port. It looks like the cosmos venture is going to beat it to port.
      Yeah looks like it's going somewhere else first?

This is hilarious, stalking a boat. I can't believe how many boats are in the North Sea, friggin crazy
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 05:53 PM #58

Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 06:02 PM #59

I KNOW!! the only reason that i can think he/she is not turning in is to stagger the arrivals so he doesn't arrive at the same time as cosmos venture. That or the crew went to sleep.

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      10-13-2010 06:06 PM #60
      I KNOW!! the only reason that i can think he/she is not turning in is to stagger the arrivals so he doesn't arrive at the same time as cosmos venture. That or the crew went to sleep.
      Ya, the Athens Highway had Emden listed as "next destination" -- and then it stopped in some stupid fishing town in England where it has been sitting all day. SHAKES FIST!

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 06:07 PM #61
      Well, I would imagine Emden has more than one dock for these things. It's not supposed to leave there until the 15th I think so there is a bit of time to go.
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 06:10 PM #62
      Well, I would imagine Emden has more than one dock for these things. It's not supposed to leave there until the 15th I think so there is a bit of time to go.
      True, but there is only one narrow entrance into the port with all the docks and i'm sure only one ship can go through at a time, but right now it looks like it's not even turning into port.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 06:13 PM #63
      Ya, the Athens Highway had Emden listed as "next destination" -- and then it stopped in some stupid fishing town in England where it has been sitting all day. SHAKES FIST!
      Hookers
      Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      10-13-2010 06:17 PM #64
      Hookers
      This.

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 07:21 PM #65
      lol it just turned around. I bet someone fell asleep.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 07:26 PM #66
      lol it just turned around. I bet someone fell asleep.
      No way man, it's following my red line. Either that or it's got a bone to pick with that little purple boat.

Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      10-13-2010 07:38 PM #67
      No way man, it's following my red line. Either that or it's got a bone to pick with that little purple boat.

Seriously -- that little purple boat is probably pooping in its little purple boat pants right now. Those Ro/Ro ships are freakin' huge.

Vehicles
      10-13-2010 07:56 PM #68
      I did a little research and the reason it waited so long to turn around is because it's following a specific approach. It appears to be the Jade approach. I can't find a good online nautical chart to post.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-13-2010 10:15 PM #69
      HAH! It's following my red line perfectly, my plan is coming to fruition.

But, this red boat seems to be halfway through the Ace's hull at this point

Edit: I have to lol at "Borkum"

Teefy Buna

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      10-14-2010 02:16 AM #70
      Sweet, so it is docked now. Now hopefully some crazy German doesn't drive my car into the ocean
      Teefy Buna

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast