Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver not paying attention slams into vintage Porsche

Vehicles
      2011 GTI, 2002 S60, 1963 356
      10-14-2010 10:50 AM #1
      This was posted over on the 356 Registry, but I thought you guys should see as it serves a good lesson. It's stuff like this that makes me sick. People were hurt (could have been a lot worse) and a beautiful car that's been around for 45+ years is now gone, all because someone was not paying attention.

Below is the story as the owner put it. Keep in mind they were driving back to Napa from a 356 meet in Park City. Almost made it too..

First...my wife is OK. Second...I am OK. We are a bit bruised but required no medical assistance.

The car is another story. It is a total loss after a 70mph impact from a 2003 Mazda sedan that was being driven by a kid(maybe 20) with 3 other kids in the car. We were stopped for construction on I80. I saw him coming and started to use the medial grass to my left to avoid impact, I was stopped, I selected first gear. turned left and patched out but did so just a little too late. I don't think the outcome would have been good if we had been sandwiched between the Mazda and the Toyota that he also hit. The toyota was pushed into a Ford pickup...all were stopped at impact. Because I was attempting to escape, the glancing blow to our right rear spun our car 180* and put the right side of the car into the guard rail. I don't know what the kid was doing since all lanes were stopped and visibility allowed us to be seen a half mile away. You just can't adjust for stupid.
      Here are a few pics, more can be seen in the thread HERE

Vehicles
      SVO
      10-14-2010 10:54 AM #2
      I think you should go to jail if you cause a crash while using a phone. This story doesn't confirm it, but I'm betting a phone was involved.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      10-14-2010 10:59 AM #3
      Shame about the car, but glad everybody's ok. It's funny to read through the thread and see everybody bitching about "kids" and their texting. I see dozens and dozens of working professionals who commute in every morning with their eyes glued to a smartphone.

Age has little to do with it.
      http://www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-14-2010 11:01 AM #4
      If you drive a priceless classic on public roads frequently enough, having some type of incedent is practically inevitable.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-14-2010 11:02 AM #5
      Too bad he wasn't driving on of them there fancy Mercedes-Benz. They do all the thinking for you these days so you can totally text and everything.

Vehicles
      '08 LR3 HSE, '04 A4 3.0Q, '94 Golf Rally Car
      10-14-2010 11:07 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      If you drive a priceless classic on public roads frequently enough, having some type of incedent is practically inevitable.
      Ditto. Any time you take a car out on the roads, you risk someone running into it. Gotta pay to play.
      '08 LR3 HSE: The Daily/Off-Roader
      '04 A4 3.0Q: The Wife's Ride
      '94 Golf Rally Car: A long long Project

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      10-14-2010 11:09 AM #7
      +1

They can build safer cars or make laws and impose big fines but s*** will still happen.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      '01 Jetta VR6
      10-14-2010 11:11 AM #8
      That really sucks. The car is even crying

Sent from my Dell XPS M1530 using Google Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Look...we know what Chris Harris thinks of the FR-S, and now we know what Jay Leno thinks, but what do 20 year old euro humping TCL'ers driving 10 year old golfs and who jerk it to TDIs think?! I don't think we've heard from them yet...

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-14-2010 11:12 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mack73 View Post
      Ditto. Any time you take a car out on the roads, you risk someone running into it. Gotta pay to play.
      I've had THREE crashes where I was sitting completely still when I was hit by somebody else.
      Twice I was on the horn trying to get them to see me before impact.
      You just can't avoid every idiot on the road sometimes.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-14-2010 11:13 AM #10
      sucks, but thats what hagerty classic car insurance is for

Vehicles
      10-14-2010 11:15 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by mack73 View Post
      If someone has a nice car and doesn't drive it, the response is "That's not right, these cars are meant to be driven!" So now we have someone who took a road trip to a Porsche meet and got his car destroyed by a careless driver, the response is "hey, that's what you get for driving your car." Typical TCL hypocrisy.

12. Member
      10-14-2010 11:21 AM #12
      Was a cool hotrod 356 too, such a shame.
      -------------------------
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip
      73 914 2.0 / 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC
      65 Ducati Falcon 80

Vehicles
      10-14-2010 11:22 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      If someone has a nice car and doesn't drive it, the response is "That's not right, these cars are meant to be driven!" So now we have someone who took a road trip to a Porsche meet and got his car destroyed by a careless driver, the response is "hey, that's what you get for driving your car." Typical TCL hypocrisy.
      I don't think anyone on this thread has the mindset of "Ha ha!! *Nelson's voice* that's what you get for driving your car."

They are just saying sometimes things like this is cannot be avoided.
      Free 1SICKLEX

10-14-2010 11:28 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I think you should go to jail if you cause a crash while using a phone. This story doesn't confirm it, but I'm betting a phone was involved.
      Can't be. That's not the hot-button issue of the day on CNN/Fox News/MSNBC anymore. Clearly the kid was being bullied by the other 3 kids in the car and this was his suicide attempt, because obviously everybody who was ever bullied will die a horrible death at their own hands.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

15. 10-14-2010 11:33 AM #15
      This is why I could never own something rare or vintage, always be afraid someones going to hit me

Vehicles
      1973 Saab 96, 1989 Saab 900 SPG, 2008 Saab Turbo-x Sportcombi
      10-14-2010 11:33 AM #16
      I almost feel like there should be no excuse for accidents. Driving is a serious privilege, people often take for granted.

Utah just outlawed talking on the phone while driving.

No better of an example why. Way to go.

Vehicles
      '08 LR3 HSE, '04 A4 3.0Q, '94 Golf Rally Car
      10-14-2010 11:33 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      no hypocrisy here. Yes some people choose to turn their cars into trailer queens - and that is a shame but to the owner the loss of the vehicle out weighs the joy it brings while driving.
      '08 LR3 HSE: The Daily/Off-Roader
      '04 A4 3.0Q: The Wife's Ride
      '94 Golf Rally Car: A long long Project

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      10-14-2010 11:44 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      Shame about the car, but glad everybody's ok. It's funny to read through the thread and see everybody bitching about "kids" and their texting. I see dozens and dozens of working professionals who commute in every morning with their eyes glued to a smartphone.

Age has little to do with it.
      Stupidity does not know age unfortunately. Both my accidents have been while stoped. Once on the Toll both (mind you it was during morning traffic and got rear ended by an idiot speeding.... The next one was while I was park on the street right next to the sidewalk. You sure can't adjust for stupity.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-14-2010 11:46 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Can't be. That's not the hot-button issue of the day on CNN/Fox News/MSNBC anymore. Clearly the kid was being bullied by the other 3 kids in the car and this was his suicide attempt, because obviously everybody who was ever bullied will die a horrible death at their own hands.
      ^ So awesomely true. Kids need to grow a pair these days. "Wah, I was bullied today!". (And this is coming from a guy who was bullied like crazy in school.)

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      10-14-2010 12:19 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      ^ So awesomely true. Kids need to grow a pair these days. "Wah, I was bullied today!". (And this is coming from a guy who was bullied like crazy in school.)
      I have to agree. What ever happened to having an old Japanese fellow teach you karate and enter you into a sparring tournament so you can beat up your bullies and win the girl?
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      It isn't whether a government can represent its people that is the best measure of its effectiveness. Rather, it's whether a government is designed to leave its people alone.

Vehicles
      10-14-2010 12:25 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      I have to agree. What ever happened to having an old Japanese fellow teach you karate and enter you into a sparring tournament so you can beat up your bullies and win the girl?
      Nowadays they're resorted to having an old Chinese janitor, who's still grieving over the loss of his wife and kid in a car accident, to teach them kung fu.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      10-14-2010 12:31 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Can't be. That's not the hot-button issue of the day on CNN/Fox News/MSNBC anymore. Clearly the kid was being bullied
      pro tip: stop watching cable news and nothing about your life will change
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      10-14-2010 12:42 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by GrayMarauder View Post
      I almost feel like there should be no excuse for accidents.
      That's why in the military we call them mishaps. An "accident" suggests it couldn't have been avoided (a meteor hits your car or something) but a mishap points out that 99% of the time, it wasn't accidental, it was due to someone doing something boneheaded.

24. 10-14-2010 12:43 PM #26
      I had 2 accidents, one ended up being a total loss and the other slight damage all due to the other party not paying attention.
      In both cases, I was 0% at fault and was younger than the other party by 2 decades. Does age have anything to do with this? Well depends, the older audience likes to jump to the gun that its the age and they have no responsibility. Well. What happens when a 40yr old is late and rushing to work and runs a red light and slams into a young adult minding his own business, crossing an intersection? Is it right to say that he's senile?
      Moral here is that everyone makes mistakes, no matter what age. Let's all be happy that we are alive and ok.

Vehicles
      10-14-2010 12:52 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      That's why in the military we call them mishaps. An "accident" suggests it couldn't have been avoided (a meteor hits your car or something) but a mishap points out that 99% of the time, it wasn't accidental, it was due to someone doing something boneheaded.
      QFT

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-14-2010 01:05 PM #28
      so sad to see this happen to such a beautiful car. Not just the money, but the most heart breaking is the amount of blood, sweat and time put into it that is now lost....

27. 10-14-2010 01:19 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      so sad to see this happen to such a beautiful car. Not just the money, but the most heart breaking is the amount of blood, sweat and time put into it that is now lost....
      I would have prob gone insane.

28. Member
      10-14-2010 01:27 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Too bad he wasn't driving on of them there fancy Mercedes-Benz. They do all the thinking for you these days so you can totally text and everything.
      I know totally right? I was driving once and then I fell asleep, but my Mercedes just took over and drove me home.

29. 10-14-2010 01:53 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TJ_MK2TT View Post
      Moral here is that everyone makes mistakes, no matter what age. Let's all be happy that we are alive and ok.

I was once rear ended by a lady more than twice my age ( i was 22 at the time ) i was stopped in traffic and got rear ended by a pick up going nearly 45mph. called a cop to the scene and the cop told me that it coudlve been my fault if i was on the phone. i denied being on the phone cuz i wasnt anyway. cop said he's gonna "look me up" to see if i was lying, came back to my car and ended up writing the police report.

people jump the gun to assume its the younger inexperienced drivers fault and accuse them for tons. Like others said, age isn't a factor, carelessness, a characteristic that anyone can have regardless of age, is indeed a factor.

10-14-2010 02:05 PM #32
      exactly. cars can be replaced. even really badly crashed cars. good to hear the porsche driver and wife are ok. this is what insurance and the courts are for.

31. Member
      10-14-2010 02:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by nico24vr6 View Post
      people jump the gun to assume its the younger inexperienced drivers fault and accuse them for tons. Like others said, age isn't a factor, carelessness, a characteristic that anyone can have regardless of age, is indeed a factor.
      Sorry, age is a factor. More young males get into accidents than anyone else. Yes, it's a genaralization, not all young drivers are bad, but as a group they are worse.

Vehicles
      2007 Passat Wagon VR6
      10-14-2010 02:11 PM #34
      Yep. I guess all you can say if you're the owner in this situation is "At least I enjoyed it, and didn't just let it sit in my garage."
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
      Apparently, these “frat-boys” think Craig’s List is more entertaining than Survivor.

10-14-2010 02:15 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by GrayMarauder View Post
      I almost feel like there should be no excuse for accidents. Driving is a serious privilege, people often take for granted.

Utah just outlawed talking on the phone while driving.

No better of an example why. Way to go.
      WA State has had a no texting and no cell phone law in effect for a while now and I still see a lot of people driving around using these devices. The laws have little to no impact on people's behavior.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast