Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.9 build keeps flooding....!!!

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI VR6... .......................Mk5 Rabbit 2.5
      01-24-2011 07:13 PM #71
      Here's some pictures of the bearings. After taking a second look I think I may have just been a little paranoid and this looks like just normal wear. Anyhow, the red boxes are the top half of #1 and #6 rods which look the most worn. Either way I've got new bearings that'll be going in. But I may get the crank checked and re-polished. Thinking back to when I picked it up there was some surface rust on the journals from sitting in the humidity of this past summer. He quickly put the crank on the lathe and polished the journals before I took it with me after with I immediately coated them with some oil.

Rod bearings:

Crank bearings:

/// VRSociety Member #298 /// bankrupt ///

01-24-2011 08:26 PM #72
      Just looks like the coating coming off to me, but I'm no expert.

The only wear on them is just from spinning it over trying to start it, correct?

Vehicles
      stock TSI & stage 2 FSI
      01-24-2011 08:31 PM #73
      quick question: did you prime the oil pump before starting it the first time?

Vehicles
      01-24-2011 10:35 PM #74
      Yeah, I used Royal Purple's assembly lube and before I started the motor I pulled the plugs and disconnected the ECU (no fuel or spark) and cranked the engine 3 or 4 times for 10 seconds each. I was really careful during assembly with dirt and dust and all...

Vehicles
      96 GTI VR6 08 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
      01-24-2011 10:58 PM #75
      Looks fine to me, you ever even break it in real proper?
      98 GTI - Mustard Mayhem - 1/4 - 11.679@117.58mph - .8 bar - parted Timeslip
      96 GTI - Turbo Panda - 1/8 - 7.63@97mph - 1.1 bar of turbo fun!
      89 325is - New turbo project
      www.lugtronic.com

Vehicles
      01-25-2011 12:05 AM #76
      No... never been able to keep it running long enough. Longest I had it kinda running was maybe 4-5 minutes. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's just my paranoia but I just wanted some other opinions.

Vehicles
      96 GTI VR6 08 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
      01-25-2011 12:51 AM #77
      Last time I had to rip open a motor that was fresh the bearings look very similar. Only worn in the center of the bearing surface. If there is no deep scratches or pitting then I would not be worried as you never got to break it in. Are you swapping the crank or just the crank trigger wheel? If the crank is being swapped I would get new bearings and plasti gauge them to be on the safe side. Good luck man, sorry you had all these problems, can't wait to see it driving.
      98 GTI - Mustard Mayhem - 1/4 - 11.679@117.58mph - .8 bar - parted Timeslip
      96 GTI - Turbo Panda - 1/8 - 7.63@97mph - 1.1 bar of turbo fun!
      89 325is - New turbo project
      www.lugtronic.com

Vehicles
      01-25-2011 08:14 AM #78
      Yeah I'm using the same crank. I bought a new trigger wheel from the dealer. I'll still be installing new rod and crank bearings because I wasn't able to keep track of which ones fell from where... BTW, I don't recommend removing a crank with the motor still in the car. It's a little tricky to hold it all together while loosening the main caps. Suppose it would have gone smoother with help, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Vehicles
      mk4 gti, mk3 golf
      02-07-2011 04:22 PM #79
      UPDATES!!!

Vehicles
      02-07-2011 10:12 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by euro.lo View Post
      UPDATES!!!
      Nope.... yeah I know... lazy fukr I am haven't done a single thing.

Vehicles
      mk4 gti, mk3 golf
      02-07-2011 10:50 PM #81
      ha ha... I forgive you

Vehicles
      04-23-2011 09:26 PM #82
      Well since I personally hate finding posts that explain problems without solutions I think i can finally put this one to bed. Motor is finally (yes I know how long it took ) back together and the running issue was solved with the new crank trigger wheel. Just hearing the sound of a smooth running VR again and I'm high as a kite

Thanks all for watching and a special thanks to rallyedude for pointing me in the right direction

Vehicles
      stock TSI & stage 2 FSI
      04-24-2011 10:30 AM #83
      glad it worked out for you

Vehicles
      ಠ_ಠ
      11-10-2011 09:00 PM #84
      Bumping an old thread yes, but just letting you know I'm scared shitless of turning the key on my project.

If you've got a spot of time and are okay with my popping by to ask you a few questions and seeing the car I'd love to see her up and running. I live nearbyish in Scarborough

dasjettakartell - transcend trend - connoisseurism before consumerism
      vr6coilbracket.com

Sterling Tire Services

Vehicles
      11-10-2011 09:07 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_curry View Post
      Bumping an old thread yes, but just letting you know I'm scared shitless of turning the key on my project.

If you've got a spot of time and are okay with my popping by to ask you a few questions and seeing the car I'd love to see her up and running. I live nearbyish in Scarborough

Absolutely. I remember having the same feeling. I'm a licensed mechanic, but insisted on having my friend with more motor building experience hovering over the engine while I cranked for the first time. Haven't run mine in some time now. Got jacked for insurance and had to stop driving it. Working on a Mk3 rear axle and disc brake swap right now along with trying to figure out exhaust hangers for the Corrado MBS 3" exhaust I've now got. So she runs, just on jack stands right now.

Shoot me am PM, I'm sure to be in the garage this weekend.
      Last edited by Scotty_2.0; 11-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Vehicles
      ಠ_ಠ
      11-11-2011 10:53 PM #86
      Good call on the MBS 3" setup.

Can the MK2 rear beam not be fitted with carriers/calipers for a disc setup?

Are there advantages to using the MK3 rear beam?
      dasjettakartell - transcend trend - connoisseurism before consumerism
      vr6coilbracket.com

Sterling Tire Services

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 04:13 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_curry View Post
      Good call on the MBS 3" setup.

Can the MK2 rear beam not be fitted with carriers/calipers for a disc setup?

Are there advantages to using the MK3 rear beam?
      My bushings are shot and the axle is rusted pretty badly. The proportioning valve is barely discernible with all the rust. Aside from that, it has an internal stabilizer bar and is a little wider than the current one. But yes, the Mk2 and Mk3 brake set-ups are the same, stub axles, carriers and all. Although I'm using Mk4 aluminum rear calipers.

Gonna be sending out the axle for blasting and powder coating this week I hope.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      95 VR Golf Sport, 91 AE Cabby
      03-05-2012 11:45 PM #88
      I just read both of your threads on your build. I'm working on almost the same build. 83.5 bore over the 82.5 you did. I'd like to see what kind of numbers you're putting down. I will be looking for updates. Very nice build!

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 08:41 AM #89
      Def planning on hitting the dyno this year. Doin work right now to get it ready again, although I still need some reasonable insurance to make it happen...

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-06-2012 11:41 AM #90
      I see you live in Canada. Is insurance different there than it is here in the states? From what i was reading in your thread I'm taking it, it's pretty expensive?

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 12:09 PM #91
      I don't think the insurance here in Canada is much different from the US. Mainly it's my driving record that's to blame. I'm too embarassed to even say what I pay for my Mk5, but they wanted an additonal $3300/yr for my Mk2 which was strictly for liability - no collision.... WTF. I only drive the car 6months of the year, as a recreational vehicle
      Last edited by Scotty_2.0; 03-06-2012 at 12:24 PM.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-06-2012 02:30 PM #92
      Got ya i was there not so many years ago. 3300 for liability that's crazy. Hope everything works out. I'll be watching for progress, and will be posting up my build as soon as I get all my stuff together. I got lucky and picked up a bvh off a friend of mine already built. Picked up a short block with a spun bearing. still need all gaskets, cams, having the block done at Schimmel performance. All bearings,pistons and machine work will be done there.

23. 04-27-2012 08:14 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_2.0 View Post
      I don't think the insurance here in Canada is much different from the US. Mainly it's my driving record that's to blame. I'm too embarassed to even say what I pay for my Mk5, but they wanted an additonal $3300/yr for my Mk2 which was strictly for liability - no collision.... WTF. I only drive the car 6months of the year, as a recreational vehicle
      Insurance in Ontario is much worse than the rest of the country, and if you live in the GTA it's higher than the rest of the province.

I had a 91 GTI when I lived in Guelph, paying about $75/month. Moved to Yonge/Davisville and it jumped to $150/month, got a MKIII 2.0 Jetta and it went up to $160. Moved to Thornhill and it went up to $190. I was 27 when when I moved to Toronto, clean record and I'm almost 31 now. My record is still clean and insurance still sucks.

No tickets/claims at all in that time, purely based off my address. Not sure what insurance is like in the US, but I doubt it's this bad.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 GTI, 1991 GTI
      05-27-2013 02:20 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
      Insurance in Ontario is much worse than the rest of the country, and if you live in the GTA it's higher than the rest of the province.

I had a 91 GTI when I lived in Guelph, paying about $75/month. Moved to Yonge/Davisville and it jumped to $150/month, got a MKIII 2.0 Jetta and it went up to $160. Moved to Thornhill and it went up to $190. I was 27 when when I moved to Toronto, clean record and I'm almost 31 now. My record is still clean and insurance still sucks.

No tickets/claims at all in that time, purely based off my address. Not sure what insurance is like in the US, but I doubt it's this bad.
      I'm 18, and liability only for my mk2 is $500 USD/Year. Your guys' insurance rates are crazy.

Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR6T DE
      05-27-2013 04:33 PM #95
      wow after going over this thread, man machine shops really get people by the balls. I've had a similar experience where schimmels shop on my 1.8t reported back to me that my crank had a broken tooth on the oil pump sprocket, they replaced it with one from my old crank (i had spun a rod bearing)

This lead to the new old sprocket spinning on the crank not powering the oil pump once I had the motor in and all back together a month or so down the line. Luckily I had a short sweet fuel pressure gauge, but it was on a stand alone car. They made it right by welding the oil pump sprocket to the crank, and would make it right in the future if it would have failed even further, I would have had to assume.

But just simple stuff as that goes to show you that mistakes do happen and you can really be pulling your hair out trying to figure out stuff when experts make simple careless mistakes, that you don't expect when you're laying down benjamins.
      http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/4G31dh
      40% off Advance Auto Coupon friends and family

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123