Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fallout: New Vegas Thread

1. 10-16-2010 01:08 AM #1
      Well, I managed to get a copy a little early, so I figured I'd make the official thread.

So far I'm enjoying it, haven't gotten too far into the game at all. But a few observations:

-Graphics seem to be a little smoother
      -Skill books are still present, but they wear off; at least the ones I've found so far.
      -So far food and drink doesn't seem that challenging. It is simply a bar that raises over time, just like the radiation bar. Remember that food and water that was basically useless in FO3? Now it has a purpose.
      -You can make recipes and combine ingredients at a camp fire. Pretty much like Oblivion et al. Pick some plants, get some animal ingredients, mix them together. You already have a set menu at your disposition as you start.
      -Damage threshold seems interesting... If you don't hit hard enough, you won't damage them, but if you hit above their DT it will breach their armor and take out HP.
      -IIRC weapons above 75% CON are 100% DAM, armor at 50% will also be at 100% DT.

There are little tweaks to just about everything, but nothing that really pops out so far. All good additions though.
      ░░░░░░ .. R13 5
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ .. ╚╬╬╝
      ░░░░░░ .... 24

2. 10-16-2010 10:20 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by -Khaos- View Post
      Well, I managed to get a copy a little early, so I figured I'd make the official thread.

So far I'm enjoying it, haven't gotten too far into the game at all. But a few observations:

-Graphics seem to be a little smoother
      -Skill books are still present, but they wear off; at least the ones I've found so far.
      -So far food and drink doesn't seem that challenging. It is simply a bar that raises over time, just like the radiation bar. Remember that food and water that was basically useless in FO3? Now it has a purpose.
      -You can make recipes and combine ingredients at a camp fire. Pretty much like Oblivion et al. Pick some plants, get some animal ingredients, mix them together. You already have a set menu at your disposition as you start.
      -Damage threshold seems interesting... If you don't hit hard enough, you won't damage them, but if you hit above their DT it will breach their armor and take out HP.
      -IIRC weapons above 75% CON are 100% DAM, armor at 50% will also be at 100% DT.

There are little tweaks to just about everything, but nothing that really pops out so far. All good additions though.

I'm declaring SHENANIGANS just because I'm insanely jealous. Please tell us more info. How is the city of New Vegas? How's the character interaction? How's the VATS? Same as FO3? I'm worried most about the story line on this one... I'm sure they'll pull it off but finding who tried to kill you just doesn't seem thrilling.
      Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

3. 10-16-2010 07:37 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by medicracer View Post
      I'm declaring SHENANIGANS just because I'm insanely jealous. Please tell us more info. How is the city of New Vegas? How's the character interaction? How's the VATS? Same as FO3? I'm worried most about the story line on this one... I'm sure they'll pull it off but finding who tried to kill you just doesn't seem thrilling.
      I haven't been able to get to New Vegas yet, although I played it for hours. This one seems alot harder, but maybe it's because it's on Hardcore. I played on Hard (Difficulty and option of Hardcore are separate) and couldn't do it, every ambush meant death, and it took forever to kill people, two or three hits I'm dead.

Interactions seem better, more voices I don't recognize so far, and the movement of their mouths is much better. Alot of people were complaining about that, so that's good. Although you'll still hear the same line over and over again, like "being in the mojave desert kinda makes you wish for a nuclear winter."

VATS is the same. Story seems to progress nicely, honestly because I just started I'm kind of stuck doing it in some kind of order, because every time I walk off I get killed. It's not just one tough monster, it's now a gang of them attacking you all at once, harder to deal with.

There are lots of changes to everything, I can't mention them all. You have tables to play with ammo (make your own ammo), campfires to make recipes, and the workbench to make weapons. Limb damage isn't so bad, but doctor bags are hard to find, and head damage is maddening, you go practically blind every few seconds.

The feel is much like FO3, only with a wild west feel to it. Explosives play a bigger role it seems, with sticks of dynamite being very prevalent. Also more of your attributes seem to play a role in getting things done, you have a chance at success, but if you fail you can try again... However I tried to patch up a character over and over again with no success, it said my chances were 25/30. I read a skill book or whatever, brought it up to 30/30 and had immediate success... Overall it's just alot more rounded out, with hardcore everything plays a role, whereas in FO3 you could choose to ignore alot of stuff and still be very successful.
      ░░░░░░ .. R13 5
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ .. ╚╬╬╝
      ░░░░░░ .... 24

4. 10-16-2010 11:03 PM #4
      Well, things are going better. Last night I "prospected" for hours for a sensor module and couldn't find one. Today first thing I find in a toolbox is one, I ran over and fix a robot, which is now my companion. Then went to a new town and got another companion. Works for me.

Companions also now give you perks when they are with you.
      ░░░░░░ .. R13 5
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ .. ╚╬╬╝
      ░░░░░░ .... 24

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      10-16-2010 11:06 PM #5
      For those that haven't preordered, Amazon is still offering a $10 credit towards the purchase of another video game/accessory when you preorder. Credit is applied when the game ships. I've been raking in free credits with preorders. It's like every 3 or 4 preorders, you get a game for free (usually between $10-$20 credits).

EDIT: K-Mart is offering a $20 gift card towards a video game purchase with FNV.
      Last edited by Suture; 10-17-2010 at 12:56 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Jetta Wolfsberg, 2002 Ford Focus SE
      10-17-2010 12:06 AM #6
      Hopefully I'll get this for my b-day in a month. I truly loved FO3 and Oblivion.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi allroad / 1996 VR6 Cabrio on air
      10-17-2010 11:59 AM #7
      i played it last night and found it rather boring. i played from a friends saved point, and i saw a lot of glitches (people/animals just walking into buildings and staying there) floating stuff that should not have been floating, and really bad sound recreations of weapons.

i won't be buying this one.
      2015 Audi A3 2.0T quattro - Fourtitude.com Project car
      1996 Cabrio build thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6-build-thread
      I Sell Audi's in AZ

8. 10-17-2010 02:42 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 NRG View Post
      i played it last night and found it rather boring. i played from a friends saved point, and i saw a lot of glitches (people/animals just walking into buildings and staying there) floating stuff that should not have been floating, and really bad sound recreations of weapons.

i won't be buying this one.
      I have seen a few scorpions stuck inside (below) the ground... And the doctors no longer tap a needle when healing you, that's too controversial apparently, so they just walk off while you're standing there. But really it's no worse than FO3.
      ░░░░░░ .. R13 5
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ .. ╚╬╬╝
      ░░░░░░ .... 24

10-18-2010 12:13 AM #9
      I know one thing. I wont make the mistake of buying this for a console like I did FO3.

10. 10-18-2010 11:04 AM #10
      Picking it up for PS3 tom morning.

Very excited, just hope the bugs aren't too bad.

11. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      10-18-2010 01:12 PM #11
      still haven't seen any reviews yet, and being the day before it comes out, this is usually a bad sign

i'm guessing this game is bug city

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      10-18-2010 01:43 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by quinntendopower1 View Post
      still haven't seen any reviews yet, and being the day before it comes out, this is usually a bad sign

Not to say that it won't have bugs, but I'd bet money that the game will be an excellent game.
      Modify your VW online at Dubmodder

10-18-2010 02:25 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by quinntendopower1 View Post

I read that apparently Obsidian has a ban on reviews untill release day. I imagine it will be buggy but if its no worse than FO3 I can handle that. Also read that clearing the memory cache or something on the 360 helps this game and FO3 run a lot better. Not exactly sure how to do that but I'll figure it out. Looking forward to this game a ton, I'm sure it won't dissapoint.

Danny f'n Trejo is in it! That is all I needed to hear.

14. 10-18-2010 02:42 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Phishy View Post
      I read that apparently Obsidian has a ban on reviews untill release day. I imagine it will be buggy but if its no worse than FO3 I can handle that. Also read that clearing the memory cache or something on the 360 helps this game and FO3 run a lot better. Not exactly sure how to do that but I'll figure it out. Looking forward to this game a ton, I'm sure it won't dissapoint.

Danny f'n Trejo is in it! That is all I needed to hear.
      Correct, this is a post from the editor of IGN.

Just giving you guys a heads up. The embargo for the review is the day of release. However, we still don't have it in our office, so the odds of a final review being ready that day are close to 0.

We'll have impressions up then to help guide purchasing decisions, but you should expect the review to be a bit late.

Edited title. --DanielJr

Read more: http://boards.ign.com/xbox_360_gener...#ixzz12jm3c0eQ

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-18-2010 03:32 PM #15
      Paid for it last week when I picked up MOH. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint like MOH did. I loved FO:3.

16. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      10-18-2010 06:29 PM #16
      if you liked fallout 3, i have a feeling you will like vegas even more. obsidian is good at writing a good story, and they have better art direction then bethesda, who is bottom of the barrel.

fallout 3 felt like a cover band game to me. they had the idea, but the game didn't have any personality especially compared to the originals. those games had tons of social commentary and plenty of sick jokes. fallout 3 had almost none of it.

i'm going to rent it and play through it. even though 3 soured it a bit (don't mention brotherhood of steel), the fallout series still gets a fair chance.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      10-19-2010 01:29 AM #17
      picked it up at a midnight release. gamestop had no information in their system about my pre-order, even though i handed them the printed confirmation email/receipt for store pick-up. about to load it and start.
      welcome to the layer cake

18. 10-19-2010 08:46 AM #18
      Reviews are positive so far. Seems everything said in this thread was spot on, as they claim it can be a bit buggy at times, and it's not very different from Fallout 3.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...lout-new-vegas

I'm leaving for work late today so I can swing by BB and pick it up when they open. I should get some decent time in tonight, I'm in the middle of tiling my kitchen but I stopped at a point last night that I can pick it up in a few days without hurting anything so I can play this game

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      10-19-2010 09:07 AM #19
      Picking it up at lunch
      Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr

20. 10-19-2010 10:07 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by SurferbobGolf View Post
      Picking it up at lunch
      x2

I think the last PC game I bought was Fallout 3. I have a feeling this will consume 2 weeks of my life as well.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      10-19-2010 12:18 PM #21
      ^^ Same here, I would get it on PC again, but something has been wrong with it the last couple of months. Random freezes, crashes slow downs.

I picked up the 360 version at lunch, and the kid ahead of me paid for his copy, and then ran out of the store, through the mall, and presumably to his car. I'm guessing he was pretty excited to play. Or he was about to miss the bus.
      Flickr

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      10-19-2010 12:51 PM #22
      Gonna go pick it up now. PC version all the way!!
      Modify your VW online at Dubmodder

23. 10-19-2010 02:16 PM #23
      Just grabbed it and I'm currently installing so it's ready to go when I get off. The boss is out of town today too..... hmm I might call it an early day around 3.

24. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      10-19-2010 02:56 PM #24
      i rented this today, will use this as a casual game to relax after vanquish

i have a notepad FOR this game, i will definitely be chalking up various awesome glitches. i still don't get the review process. just about every single review commented on the game crashing, poor framerate, etc, a ton of technical problems, then the game gets a great review

25. 10-19-2010 08:32 PM #25
      I had some time to play tonight now that I have it. The game does feel very much like the last one, but I don't really think that is all that bad because I enjoyed the last one so much. It does feel a bit rushed tho, I noticed a few bugs that are somewhat annoying.

I had one total freeze during the first part of the game (during the tutorial when you are shooting the bottles) it just totally froze and I had to reset my PS3 on the back. In combat even tho I am playing as a male when I get hit I still hear what really sounds to me like female reactions at times, odd. The loading screens tend to jump I'll re-load my save it'll show a screen for like .2 seconds hit another screen, then jump to another and hold it during loading. Little freezes while walking happen quite a bit, I've become used to them because it happened alot in DLC FO3 content, but when you had a major freeze happen and the game stops for 2 solid seconds you get that oh crap it froze feeling I don't like.

The story is good so far, I liked the previous game starting as a child more, but I can't complain with how this one started. The voice acting is very good. I've heard some off the cuff repeated dialogue but nothing too annoying.

The new sight system for shooting is way way improved, I was just picking off feral ghouls with a 9mm from a distance without using vats, and I got some nice headshot kills.

Graphics are pretty much the same, a little brighter with more colors which is nice but it doesn't feel like a 2 year improvement over FO3.

This game is tough tho, I'm not on hardcore mode but still when you venture into the areas that aren't really part of active quests you pay severely. I saw New Vegas in the distance and just said screw it I'm going for it. With the weapons and skills you have right off the bat you have 0 chance of getting there, deathclaws await and you are not equipped to take them out. I think I got used to my FO3 guy being at 30 with great weapons, so this takes some getting used to.

I think a 90% rating is good so far, the bugs are my biggest gripe. I hate the freezes and lockups, they make me paranoid and I save alot. It might just be a PS3 thing, but the game still feels a bit rushed.

I don't regret the purchase at all, I am totally drawn into the game just like before and I know I will log a ton of hours playing this game. Just exploring around the new enviroment is fun, they did a nice job throwing in some really interesting locations just have to hit while walking on a quest.

I look forward to hearing more impressions from people on here. I'm really hoping the freezes aren't the fault of the new HD I swapped into my PS3 as I've heard that can cause some issues.

I assume everyone is playing right now so I'll check back later

26. 10-19-2010 09:17 PM #26
      I am surprised how much slower it runs on my PC than FO3 considering it's the same engine and they pretty much look the exact same. It stays really smooth until I encounter people. I guess I will be doing that upgrade sooner than I had planned.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf
      10-19-2010 11:45 PM #27
      Hmmm all these glitches you folks are mentioning are scaring me off this game. I really liked F03 so I hope to enjoy NV but I made the mistake of buying FO3 early when I should have waited for the GOTY edition with all the DLC goodies (which a lot of games are getting). Maybe by then the glitches will be fixed.
      ごめんね。。。ね
      "I've been pitying fools for 28 years" - Mr. T

28. 10-20-2010 12:23 AM #28
      After playing for a few hours it definitely is an improvement on FO3. Hardcore mode makes it much better IMO.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      10-20-2010 08:49 AM #29
      I played it for a few hours yesterday (360), and the only problems I've had so far was a little frame rate slowdown. I played through FO3 5-6 times, and this has the same feel. I have a few small gripes but that's it so far...

-I'm torn on the new use of Magazines. I like the large increase in skill (Has already come in handy), but I like the small permanent boost better.
      -Radio, I liked GNR better. Within an hour I felt like I'd already heard every song there was.
      -The cut scene at the beginning just looked awful.

Did anyone else take the Wild Wasteland trait?
      Flickr

30. 10-20-2010 08:58 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by SurferbobGolf View Post

Did anyone else take the Wild Wasteland trait?
      I did, I was wondering if anyone else noticed anything. I noticed some smaller lizards that are not hostile and actually attack other animals that are hurting you. That's all I've seen for now unless I'm missing something.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-20-2010 09:03 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by lostmypassword View Post
      I had one total freeze during the first part of the game (during the tutorial when you are shooting the bottles) it just totally froze and I had to reset my PS3 on the back. In combat even tho I am playing as a male when I get hit I still hear what really sounds to me like female reactions at times, odd. The loading screens tend to jump I'll re-load my save it'll show a screen for like .2 seconds hit another screen, then jump to another and hold it during loading. Little freezes while walking happen quite a bit, I've become used to them because it happened alot in DLC FO3 content, but when you had a major freeze happen and the game stops for 2 solid seconds you get that oh crap it froze feeling I don't like.
      I have had all of this happen, even the freezing on the tutorial part and having to go reload. That's the only time it's actually frozen though.

While the loading while walking around is annoying, I find the over all game fun so far. I played enough to make it to Nipton yesterday before having to take a break and actually do something that day.

32. 10-20-2010 12:04 PM #32
      anyone find the damn shovel? i want to go grave digging already lol

33. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      10-20-2010 12:08 PM #33
      you can buy/trade for one at the general store.
      welcome to the layer cake

34. 10-20-2010 12:25 PM #34
      thank your sir, haha forgot about that. I guess i was too excited of playing through

I also had it freeze on me during walks in the wasteland for a couple seconds...ive come used to it it as well....I only had it freeze on me and reboot after I fasted jumped to a location...it was
      "loading" for 5mins.... Anyone know what Faction they gonna choose to ally with? i was thing of Legion...but i might just run solo on this one
      Last edited by oil1; 10-20-2010 at 12:30 PM.

10-20-2010 02:57 PM #35
      Good news I guess... Bethesda announced that they are aware of bugs and are working feverishly on patching.

LOL!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast