Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Detailer's Domain

1. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2007 Q7, 2002 911 Turbo
      04-02-2012 10:09 AM #126
      this is a good way to clean them

Grit Guard Pad Washer

or you can do it the old fashion way, use a foam pad brush clean as much dust out as you can.

then use some dish detergent and warm water to clean them out.

then attach to your polisher and spin dry.

2. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 10:09 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by DubFriendly View Post
      yea, i understand you have to play to pay, so is that the best buffer for the price? how about something for 200? if not ill get the one listed. and thanks mod for listed items, ill be purchaseing them soon
      sorry for the delay.

Griots Random Orbital Polisher Kit

3. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 10:10 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'm not 100% sure where to post this, but this sounds like a good place to at least start.

I have a newish car that unfortunately has a couple of small paint chips due to the std daily grind. I'd like to fill in the chips with some touch up paint, but I haven't the foggiest idea of the correct technique for repairing paint chips. Are there any good DIYs out there or any type of repair kits that people recommend?

I'm afraid that at this point if I attempt to repair the chip, I'm going to do more harm than good. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.
      I have not used it but seems like many like Dr. Color Chip.

4. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 10:11 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubmac View Post
      Phil,
      What is the best product to remove the nasty tire dressing dealers or cheap car washed put on tires? Tried Adams APC, but it didn't work too well...maybe didn't agitate it long enough?
      you can use Stoner's Tarminator and a mf towel that you can throw out.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      04-02-2012 11:20 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
      I have not used it but seems like many like Dr. Color Chip.
      Thanks for your recommendation Phil. I'll have to look into that. If there are paint chips that you have to deal with do you have your own specific technique or send the car out to a body shop?

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      04-02-2012 01:15 PM #131
      I'm afraid that at this point if I attempt to repair the chip, I'm going to do more harm than good. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.
      If you lose heart, call Carisma... Prices are really good, they do an excellent job on small paint repairs/PDR/etc, and they have racecars http://www.carisma.com/

7. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 01:18 PM #132
      Thanks for your recommendation Phil. I'll have to look into that. If there are paint chips that you have to deal with do you have your own specific technique or send the car out to a body shop?
      at the shop we don't deal with chips as we may think it looks great but you may think its horrible.

I leave that all to the paint guys.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      04-02-2012 04:06 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      If you lose heart, call Carisma... Prices are really good, they do an excellent job on small paint repairs/PDR/etc, and they have racecars http://www.carisma.com/
      Good idea--I used them for PDR on my old GTI. I may have to see what it would cost them to repair a few chips.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      04-02-2012 04:07 PM #134
      at the shop we don't deal with chips as we may think it looks great but you may think its horrible.

I leave that all to the paint guys.
      Good point! Your approach seems pretty darn logical.

10. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 10:07 PM #135
      Good point! Your approach seems pretty darn logical.
      thanks I appreciate that and your understanding.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-04-2012 08:53 AM #136
      I'm being kind of lazy and not searching the entire thread. I was wondering about a couple of things.

1. What is the best product to use and best method of application for exterior textured black plastic to keep it looking new and not faded grey?

2. What is the best product and application for dashboards/interior that will not leave it greasy/glossy/wet looking?

3. Is something like Maguire's Quick Detail good for bug removal between washes? Is there a better product or method?

Thank you.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

12. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-04-2012 09:37 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post
      I'm being kind of lazy and not searching the entire thread. I was wondering about a couple of things.

1. What is the best product to use and best method of application for exterior textured black plastic to keep it looking new and not faded grey?

you may want to try Black Wow

2. What is the best product and application for dashboards/interior that will not leave it greasy/glossy/wet looking?

1Z einszett Cockpit

3. Is something like Maguire's Quick Detail good for bug removal between washes? Is there a better product or method?

If you plan on removing bug and tar you have to make sure you rewax the area you sprayed.

1Z einszett Anti Insekt
      Stoner Tarminator

Thank you.
      take a look at the answers above.

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      04-04-2012 10:09 AM #138

The best thing I've tried so far is actually from Surf City- the Black Wow's and stuff are thick oily goop that looks great til it rains, then leaves greasy streaks down your paint/chrome. Surf City's Black Max you can find at local AdvancePepZone- lasts pretty well even through washes/rainstorms, smells pretty awesome, and best of all- I haven't seen it streak, at ALL. Finish looks just as good as some of the more expensive products I've used that ended up streaking in the rain.
      Apply with a microfiber towel or foam sponge, let sit briefly, wipe off excess with a dry towel. On especially weathered trim I've done two or three light applications with what I consider great success.

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/b...-trim-dressing

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-04-2012 10:52 AM #139
      take a look at the answers above.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator View Post
      The best thing I've tried so far is actually from Surf City- the Black Wow's and stuff are thick oily goop that looks great til it rains, then leaves greasy streaks down your paint/chrome. Surf City's Black Max you can find at local AdvancePepZone- lasts pretty well even through washes/rainstorms, smells pretty awesome, and best of all- I haven't seen it streak, at ALL. Finish looks just as good as some of the more expensive products I've used that ended up streaking in the rain.
      Apply with a microfiber towel or foam sponge, let sit briefly, wipe off excess with a dry towel. On especially weathered trim I've done two or three light applications with what I consider great success.

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/b...-trim-dressing
      Thank you!
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

04-04-2012 10:59 AM #140

Thank you.
      I use Forever Black Tire Gel on the lowers .. lasts 30+ washes .. give a more natural matte finish. Apply it with a cheapie little kitchen sponge .. it drys in 5 min .. do 2 coats and forget about it for 30 washes.

Hard to see in this pix but this is after a winter up here in CanaDUH.

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 08:28 AM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
      I use Forever Black Tire Gel on the lowers .. lasts 30+ washes .. give a more natural matte finish. Apply it with a cheapie little kitchen sponge .. it drys in 5 min .. do 2 coats and forget about it for 30 washes.
      Ooh, something to try next! The plastic lowers on our mk3 GTI and the bumper trim on my husband's Chevy truck are always giving me fits; loving the Black Max so far but I feel like I have to try everything I guess this would work well on plastic bedliner too? That is, if I could ever bring myself to spend the necessary time...

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      04-09-2012 08:02 AM #142
      I had some bird Shlt that baked into my hood one day. Immediately after I saw it I gave it a wash. Etched in the clearcoat now. I tried to compound and clay the area to no avail.

Any ideas how to repair this?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 Taurus X, '08 4Runner
      04-16-2012 06:01 PM #143
      Couple of questions for the detailing pros here...

1) I have a small chip in the rear bumper. I've ordered some Dr Colorchip to fill it in, but in general, can you sand and polish a painted plastic body panel just as you would the sheet metal?

2) I have a small electric power washer (this one to be specific) and while I haven't used it on the car yet, it does come with small bottle that attaches to the hose for cleaning solutions. Is there a specific auto shampoo that is recommended for this type of application? I figure with the right solution and low pressure I could get a decent foaming action.

Thanks!

19. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-16-2012 09:49 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
      Couple of questions for the detailing pros here...

1) I have a small chip in the rear bumper. I've ordered some Dr Colorchip to fill it in, but in general, can you sand and polish a painted plastic body panel just as you would the sheet metal?

yes the dr color chip should work on the plastic as well but remember not to be too aggressive with it.

2) I have a small electric power washer (this one to be specific) and while I haven't used it on the car yet, it does come with small bottle that attaches to the hose for cleaning solutions. Is there a specific auto shampoo that is recommended for this type of application? I figure with the right solution and low pressure I could get a decent foaming action.

you can use any car wash but I do know that

Adam's Car Wash will work well in there.

Thanks!
      Answered.

20. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 10:40 AM #145
      NANOSKIN Autoscrub 6 inch Pad - Better and Faster than Claying

Wow is all I can say about this new tool and new technology. I believe this will change the way most pro detailers and DIYers will prep their cars. This is truly a time saver and will pay for itself after a couple detail jobs. We have spent in some cases 1-2 hours claying and prepping a midsize sedan (in rough shape) we recently tested the AutoScrub on an Audi S8 and we were finished in about 15 minutes! You really won't believe this until you try it yourself. The AutoScrub will make you leave your clay bar behind.

NANOSKIN AutoScrub works fast and achieves professional results with the new advanced rubber polymer technology, which replaces the use of clay bars.

A dual action orbital polisher is required. AutoScrub will safely and easily removes paint over spray, water spots, tree sap, rail dust and other bonded surface contaminants from the surface of automotive paint, glass, moldings and plastic.

AutoScrub works great with your favorite detail spray or clay lubricant. Unlike the clay bar, the AutoScrub can be cleaned by simply rinsing off the accumulated contaminates with water. If you drop the AutoScrub on the ground, no worries, just rinse the sponge pad clean and you're ready to keep using it.

AutoScrub allows for sturdy and controlled handling, unlike clay bars where constant reshaping is required.

Features
      - Lasts up to 4 times longer than clay bars
      - Glides on & off easily for a slick finish
      - If inadvertently dropped on shop floor, simply rinse clean
      - Up to 50-60 uses before you need to replace it

Directions
      1. Thoroughly wash vehicle free of dust, sand, and dirt.
      2. Mist sufficient detail spray or clay lubricant onto the surface evenly.
      3. Polish the surface with dual action orbital polisher using light pressure (Low Speed).
      4. Wipe off residue and move on to compound and polishing or even go straight to your last step.

Important tips:
      - Sufficient lubrication is crucial to the AUTOSCRUB application.
      - DO NOT use water
      - DO NOT use with rotary polisher.

Take a look at the 3 offers we have. Pre Order Pricing is in effect, we should have the first wave by Friday.

NanoSkin AutoScrub 3 inch Kit

NanoSkin AutoScrub 6 inch Kit
      Nano Skin AutoScrub 6 Inch Pad

Various photos of how the pad looks and works

3 inch pad kit

6 inch pad on the Griots on an Uber 5 inch backing plate

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      04-21-2012 10:49 AM #146

-
      No but seriously.. that looks pretty innovative

22. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 12:31 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by DOQ fastlane View Post

-
      No but seriously.. that looks pretty innovative

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      04-22-2012 01:12 PM #148
      this has been discussed in length on several forums,

but what does one use on vw leatherette, and mercedes mbtex?

mbtex gets dry and starts cracking, what can be used to soften it up, and prevent it from cracking further

regarding the leatherette, just to clean it

24. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      04-22-2012 01:26 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      this has been discussed in length on several forums,

but what does one use on vw leatherette, and mercedes mbtex?

mbtex gets dry and starts cracking, what can be used to soften it up, and prevent it from cracking further

regarding the leatherette, just to clean it
      what we have found works well on MB Tex would be

1Z Deep Cleaner followed by 1Z LeatherCare

Vehicles
      1999.5 GTI VR6 97 Subaru Impreza
      04-23-2012 11:34 AM #150
      Hi, I have a few questions regarding care of car car products.

1) What is the policy on washing microfiber towels for reuse? I currently do this in my washing machine at home. I have a system to keep the leather polish towels separate from the wax buffer towels etc. but wash them all at once.
      1a) what method do you use to clean the Uber Foam Pads?

2) What product do you recommend for cleaning the tan vinyl sun visors on a MKIV VW? Mine are pretty nasty and I am sure haven't been touched in 12 years!

3) I don't have a garage but like to keep a cover over my car, MKIV GTI. What do you suggest for a 4 season cover that won't ruin all the hard work of detailing that I just put into it and that keeps the rain and UV out? I do put an additional tarp over the cover in the winter as it never gets driven from November to April.

Thanks so much for your help!

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast