Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: foam insulation sheeting over plaster?

10-23-2010 05:24 PM #1
      just gutted the garage and basement, doing the usual epoxied floors and painted walls. new lighting and storage and whatnot.

the garage ceiling is uninsulated and the cold come right up through the hardwood floors in the dinig room.

originally i was going to knock out the plaster ceiling and add rolled fiberglass. looking at local codes, i would then have to drywall over that insulation. i hate drywalling, and dont care if the ceiling is finished or not, it's a small 1-car garage that i rarely put a car in.

what i was thinking of doing was just adding some 1/2" thick foam insulation sheeting to the ceiling and the 1 exterior wall. there shouldnt be a problem doing this, correct?

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 04 B5.5V TDI, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-23-2010 08:04 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by nunzo. View Post
      just gutted the garage and basement, doing the usual epoxied floors and painted walls. new lighting and storage and whatnot.

the garage ceiling is uninsulated and the cold come right up through the hardwood floors in the dinig room.

originally i was going to knock out the plaster ceiling and add rolled fiberglass. looking at local codes, i would then have to drywall over that insulation. i hate drywalling, and dont care if the ceiling is finished or not, it's a small 1-car garage that i rarely put a car in.

what i was thinking of doing was just adding some 1/2" thick foam insulation sheeting to the ceiling and the 1 exterior wall. there shouldnt be a problem doing this, correct?
      not sure why it would be an issue, unless there is code somewhere prohibiting it... but 1/2 foam isn't that much R value... so its not going to insulate all that much.

1/2 foam is only like 2.5 R, so its not a lot. where as doing standard 3.5 inch foam is around R-13 plus R .45 for 1/2 drywall... so R-2.5 versus R-13.5
      epitome

I need to follow this... "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

3. 10-24-2010 12:16 PM #3
      spray foam and then panel the ceiling if you hate doing drywall.

10-24-2010 12:17 PM #4
      the 1/2" stuff i'm looking at is R3.3. i'm more interested in putting up a sealed lid to my garage more than anything. if i can block out all of the air infiltration, then it should be a world of difference in the winter.

maybe i'll think about it more and consider just dojng r-13 and drywalling over it. its more work, but if the foam isnt going to be worth it then it's a waste

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 04 B5.5V TDI, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      10-25-2010 01:10 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nunzo. View Post
      the 1/2" stuff i'm looking at is R3.3. i'm more interested in putting up a sealed lid to my garage more than anything. if i can block out all of the air infiltration, then it should be a world of difference in the winter.

maybe i'll think about it more and consider just dojng r-13 and drywalling over it. its more work, but if the foam isnt going to be worth it then it's a waste
      i don't think its quit a waste. if you just want to throw up the foam and tape up the seams it should help some. it will def help air infiltration. i just think it is more beneficial to go a little bit further and put something up with a bigger r value.
      epitome

I need to follow this... "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      07 baggedwagon, now 12 GLI
      10-25-2010 06:16 AM #6
      buy a sprayfoam kit. I just finished up using mine. Best R value/inch out there. It's a little more money, but it seals everything!!

7. 10-25-2010 01:11 PM #7
      In most (qualified) areas building code requires a rated fire stop between a garage and living space. You would also want to seal out any exhaust vapors. So any type of insulation you put in will have to have a fire stop over it anyway. I think 5/8 sheet rock meets a lot of the codes. You don't have to finish it, you just have to do 1 mud coat over the seams.

For the insulation I'd vote for closed cell spray in foam. We did that in our attic when I built up and it is soooo nice. Quiet and absolutly no wind penetration. Not cheap but well worth it IMO.

8. 10-25-2010 01:46 PM #8
      The drywall will at a minimum need a primer coat. I'd also rec. using type X green board in a garage.

BRENT

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, 2006 Audi A3
      10-25-2010 09:24 PM #9
      The foam sheets require a layer of drywall to cover them for fire protection also.

Vehicles
      '11 Audi S4
      10-25-2010 11:59 PM #10
      Foam sheets won't do crap, either spray it with foam or do fiberglass. How much of a void do you have to work with? Typically, (this is in Wisconsin) we finish garages with 4" of fiberglass or blown in insulation, which is about R-13. Whatever you do, try to get at least an R-10 (3 inches) because anything less really doesn't do crap. Lay or spray as thick as you want, but keep diminishing return in mind.