Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more Cable TV for me

1. Member
      Vehicles
      22b STI, F10 M5
      04-26-2012 11:03 PM #71
      I'm the type of person that pays out his nose for television and rarely watches it. But if I were to cancel my subscription I'd sit around all the time wishing I could watch tv

If/when the Apple Television comes out I'll be the first in line to buy. I love the idea of pay per watch and not pay for 1,000 channels I don't need.

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      04-26-2012 11:13 PM #72
      I've been cable/satelite free for close to 10 years!
      We now have FiOS internet 35/35 so it makes streaming really painless.

Everything is online that I need because i'm not a sports guy.
      If I wanted to watch a sports game I can use the slingbox I have set up at my parents.

We use Netflix, Hulu, amazon and other random places to steam shows.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

Right of Seattle (Previously Left of Seattle)
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan SEL 4MO, 2013 Honda Fit, and an old bimmer (that will run some day!)
      04-26-2012 11:58 PM #73
      Can't quite honestly say we're cable free. We stuck with Comcast Internet, and it was cheaper to bundle it with basic basic cable. But we're saving ~50/month and reading a lot more now. Plus, we still get our local sports channel (Root) for Husky football in the fall...
      But no HD. Oh noes!

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      04-27-2012 12:46 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      In the interest of trimming some bills, and after a long time of being appalled at how much it costs, I've canceled the cable TV. I didn't have any extras, I had the minimum setup to get HD channels and a DVR. A savings of $75/month. Heck, that will pay for 2 weeks worth of gas in the daily driver. Now I'll be relying on my PS3, Netflix, Hulu, and Redbox.

I was raised by TV, as many of my generation were, so this is no small feat for me, but it's the right choice. We watch way too much TV, the wife and I, and our 7 year old is watching more and more and he can live without all that stupid Disney crap (Wizards of Waverly Place, etc).

Check back with me in a few months and see if my resolve is still strong.
      Check out Crackle.com also.

I watch way too much TV to ever get rid of it totally. Scaling down is a possibility but not the kybash on it all together.

Vehicles
      2002 Tacoma, 2007 9-3
      04-27-2012 01:06 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 1inhiding View Post
      Can't quite honestly say we're cable free. We stuck with Comcast Internet, and it was cheaper to bundle it with basic basic cable. But we're saving ~50/month and reading a lot more now. Plus, we still get our local sports channel (Root) for Husky football in the fall...
      But no HD. Oh noes!
      I too have the Comcast ghetto cable package. I don't even have the cable hooked up to my Tv. I get more channels (some in 1080) with an antenna I made from coat hangers. Seriously, there are a bunch of DIYs on youtube. Next is figuring out free satellite.

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      04-28-2012 03:15 PM #76
      In the interest of trimming some bills, and after a long time of being appalled at how much it costs, I've canceled the cable TV. I didn't have any extras, I had the minimum setup to get HD channels and a DVR. A savings of $75/month. Heck, that will pay for 2 weeks worth of gas in the daily driver. Now I'll be relying on my PS3, Netflix, Hulu, and Redbox.

I was raised by TV, as many of my generation were, so this is no small feat for me, but it's the right choice. We watch way too much TV, the wife and I, and our 7 year old is watching more and more and he can live without all that stupid Disney crap (Wizards of Waverly Place, etc).

Check back with me in a few months and see if my resolve is still strong.

I haven't had cable since March of last year and I don't miss it at all. There is virtually nothing on that I want to watch anymore given that Disco/TLC/History are all "reality" channels now and if I want to watch sports I just go to the bar.

Everything else I want to watch is on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime or I just go hang with a friend/go to my firehouse and watch.

04-29-2012 09:15 AM #77
      Im so tempted to drop my cable as well.....but not sure I could do it.

Anyone have one of these?
      http://www.roku.com/

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-29-2012 04:58 PM #78
      Channels keep dropping off, I'm down to about a dozen SD channels now. This is fine for us until the NFL season starts.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-29-2012 05:20 PM #79
      I couldn't handle losing sports.

I wish the cable companies weren't such crooks and people could just buy channels a la carte. I think my fiancee could get by on less than 20 channels instead of the 500 we have.

10. 04-29-2012 05:38 PM #80
      I'd suggest a Roku or similar device if you still have internet.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-29-2012 07:26 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL View Post
      I'd suggest a Roku or similar device if you still have internet.
      I stream Netflix and Hulu+ with my PS3, not sure what I'd gain by adding Roku or AppleTV.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      04-29-2012 07:38 PM #82
      I stream Netflix and Hulu+ with my PS3, not sure what I'd gain by adding Roku or AppleTV.
      Not sure if PS3 has the same thing, But with Xbox360 you can dl ESPN and watch the games. Covers all sports.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      04-29-2012 08:10 PM #83
      i dumped Comcast 5 years ago or so.it was tough at first,but i really only miss watching ESPN2 and Speed,that's it.
      i went out and bought a HDtv receiver for my 'HD-ready' rear projector at Circuit City right before they closed up shop,best $170 i ever spent.i get about 20~25 channels over the air
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      04-29-2012 08:29 PM #84
      Do you get amazon vod through those ?
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-29-2012 08:32 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Merc-MarkO View Post
      Do you get amazon vod through those ?
      Yes

Vehicles
      2010 CW GTI
      04-29-2012 10:57 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Good luck!

I've been close to doing it many times, just lack the balls I guess.
      same here. Stupid comcast and their bills just keep raising over time (for the first year it was 100 for cable + internet, mysteriously now 150), and it's the only service available in my apartment building. Seems like an antitrust issue honestly...but I'm so addicted to TV I can't cancel it
      | APR | Forge | Koni |
      | OEM+ | Osir | Magnaflow |
      | H&R | SPM |

17. 04-30-2012 05:59 PM #87
      You can add hundreds and hundreds of channels. I have very little experience with them, but my sister hasn't had cable tv in a long time and I wanted to give her a way to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc on her tv over wifi. From what I read, you can add all sorts of channels far beyond Netflix and Hulu+. Apparently even pr0n

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      04-30-2012 06:41 PM #88
      Sports (NFL specifically) is the only thing that keeps me using a cable provider. If I could get live sports some other way, I'd drop it in a heartbeat and just use netflix and Hulu for everything else.

I haven't tried any OTA channels, but from what I've read and researched, I'd get very, very few around here.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 krayo sunsplash
      04-30-2012 07:19 PM #89

This is not one of those "oh, we don't have a TV" things, I'm not about to buy a Prius, go vegan, or start taking yoga classes.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-06-2014 10:45 AM #90
      Well, we made it a little over 3 years. For much of that we had "free" networks thanks to the cable internet coming into the house but that ended a while back and I miss my sports.

Just called and added real basic cable to our package. It's only another $15/month because it gets us a discount on the internet so it will be worth it for channels 2-22. I've got to have my playoff football They are shipping me the box and "self install" kit. I'll be ready for football this weekend.

So extremely minimal extra cost for basic networks, no DVR, no time and soul sucking home and food networks or anything.

Vehicles
      1991 Civic dx 2011 Ingot silver Mustang GT
      01-06-2014 10:55 AM #91
      lol my wife and I watch too much tv to do away with cable, now one thing I could do without is a ****ing phone line through our cable company, $30/mo for nothing! but yet my wife insist on having it, I mean how many people actually have a hard line phone these days? smh

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      01-06-2014 11:04 AM #92
      We formerly had cable internet and basic cable for around $70 a month (local networks plus a bunch of shopping and church channels) -- Charter wanted to raise that combination close to $100/month about a year ago. I went down to the office to negotiate a new special and they wouldn't lower my rate, but were willing to give us 40 Mbit internet, two HD boxes, 50 million channels, and HBO/Cinemax/Showtime for $72 a month for a year, so we did that.

We enjoyed having HBO (Newsroom, Bill Maher, Vice Magazine) a lot but didn't really watch much else that we couldn't get on the antenna or via streaming, so when we got a notice that our $72 package was going up by $100 (special was expiring and no new ones were available) I canceled everything except internet. That was supposed to be $49.99 a month, but they canceled the internet, too, so when I called to get it turned back on, it turned out that we were new customers again and were eligible for $39.99/mo. internet for a year. I did have to speak to a manager to get the connection fee waived.

We got an AppleTV from my sister and BIL and it has been pretty nice. Lots of music and streaming stuff, and plays nice with the iPad.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-06-2014 11:10 AM #93
      We use Apple TV in the living room to stream Hulu+, Netflix & Amazon Prime (occasionally, most of their content is redundant to the other 2). It really covers 99% of our TV viewing.

It's the sports and some of the CBS shows my wife loves that we miss (since CBS is anti-Hulu). I can't cart the whole family to a sports pub to watch football games, so it's worth a few extra dollars a month for the basic networks.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      01-06-2014 11:12 AM #94
      I get basic cable bundled into my condo fee at my Vermont place. I pay $12.00/month for an HD set-top box. I only watch sports and commercial-free movies. I'm thinking that for next spring, I'm going to try hooking up a Slingbox so I can stream Red Sox games to my Massholia cottage. I'll have to buy a Slingbox and a media player with their application. I have 105 down/20 up cable modems in both places so I have plenty of network bandwidth.

25. 01-06-2014 11:50 AM #95
      I cancelled cable about a year ago and couldn’t be happier. We had the fancy multiple room DVR setup going on so cancelling cable is saving us about $100/mo. Between the dozen or so OTA channels, Xbox 360 in the living room, Roku 3 in the bedroom, Netflix, and Amazon Prime with student pricing, I am not missing much. Looking back, I can’t believe I was paying ~$100/mo to watch maybe 6 channels… Craziness

Vehicles
      R18 & K24 VTECs
      01-06-2014 12:13 PM #96
      My biggest regret of cancelling cable is not doing it sooner. It is absolute rubbish.

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      01-06-2014 12:43 PM #97
      Well, we made it a little over 3 years. For much of that we had "free" networks thanks to the cable internet coming into the house but that ended a while back and I miss my sports.

Just called and added real basic cable to our package. It's only another $15/month because it gets us a discount on the internet so it will be worth it for channels 2-22. I've got to have my playoff football They are shipping me the box and "self install" kit. I'll be ready for football this weekend.

So extremely minimal extra cost for basic networks, no DVR, no time and soul sucking home and food networks or anything.
      Couldn't you have just used an antenna to get the local channels?

28. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      01-06-2014 12:52 PM #98
      I still have cable, so I can reliably watch F1 and for convenience reasons. However, I pay about $110 a month for a bundle that includes 80/30 internet, a home phone (which we barely use), and TV with an HD DVR. I really can't complain about that kind of pricing.

Most of the content we view is either Netflix or downloaded content streamed to the Apple TV, with the occasional iTunes rental thrown in.

29. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      01-06-2014 12:53 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Probably not a ton of OTA channels available in northern VT aside from French stations out of Montreal.

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      01-06-2014 01:01 PM #100
      I haven't had cable in 3 years. The first month it was difficult, now I couldn't be bothered. The majority of what's on TV is garbage anyways. I go to my buddy's to watch supercross and that's about it. I just have high speed internet and use Netflix and Hulu
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      01-06-2014 01:20 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Probably not a ton of OTA channels available in northern VT aside from French stations out of Montreal.
      Windsor, VT has a tower on Mount Ascutney so he gets PBS and NBC. I doubt he can get any of the Manchester, NH stations or Hartford/Springfield, MA stations and, with the Green Mountains in the way, no way he gets Plattsburgh, NY. Canuckistan is really far from there.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      01-06-2014 01:44 PM #102
      We can never find anything to watch on tv, its pretty horrible these days. But... netflix streaming is even more useless and amazon prime isnt going to really cut it either, though it comes with membership. Thankfully my Dish bill is only $44.27 a month for 2 HD DVR boxes, there isnt anything cheaper that I know of that gets you the bulk of the ESPN channels you need to watch any good sports. Its actually pretty cool to be able to log into the tv and watch online wherever you are, I catch some east coast games at work that way, so Im happy to pay that amount. Thats really the only reason for it, I'd be happy to pay per channel and grab the 5-6 we ever watch and call it a day.
      Last edited by jnm2.0t; 01-06-2014 at 01:49 PM.
      They're steppin' on my rhythm and they're stealin' all my lines

Every day on the bike is a day not in the Fusion.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-06-2014 02:22 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Windsor, VT has a tower on Mount Ascutney so he gets PBS and NBC. I doubt he can get any of the Manchester, NH stations or Hartford/Springfield, MA stations and, with the Green Mountains in the way, no way he gets Plattsburgh, NY. Canuckistan is really far from there.
      Yup, I got an antenna after Comcast made the signal no-box-no-service-period about a month ago. I get NBC and a couple of PBS stations. So really not much help for NFL which is predominantly CBS & FOX (CBS affiliate will play the Patriots even when on Monday night football, which is usually ESPN only). We don't even watch any NBC shows, and if we did, they are all on Hulu.

If I lived in a city I'd be just fine with OTA stations, but that's not an option in rural New England.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      01-06-2014 02:30 PM #104
      If I lived in a city I'd be just fine with OTA stations, but that's not an option in rural New England.
      Yeah -- 75% of it is religious, shopping and/or Español, but my 2005-vintage TV picks up 80+ digital channels here in DFW with a big Channel Master antenna in the attic.

Last edited by adrew; 01-06-2014 at 02:33 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      01-06-2014 03:03 PM #105
      I splice my incoming coax cable. I'm lucky as my subscriber doesn't scramble channels so I have maybe 6 HD stations and 80 SD. all for $35 a month. love it!!!
      girls dig when i play with the V

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast