Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: car shuts off when it reaches operating temp

1. 10-25-2010 01:41 PM #1
      i have a 2000 jetta 2.0 with an auto transmission. the other day it shut off on me when i was going down the highway. i as able to pull over but it would not restart. after waiting 30min i was able to start it back up and get home. the car starts and runs normally until it reaches 190F on the thermostat then shuts off. i already replaced crank sensor battery alternator and coil pack. really need help with ideas before i get it towed to shop.

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      10-25-2010 02:37 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by zdelong86 View Post
      i have a 2000 jetta 2.0 with an auto transmission. the other day it shut off on me when i was going down the highway. i as able to pull over but it would not restart. after waiting 30min i was able to start it back up and get home. the car starts and runs normally until it reaches 190F on the thermostat then shuts off. i already replaced crank sensor battery alternator and coil pack. really need help with ideas before i get it towed to shop.
      without scanning the ECU for codes it's all a guess. temp may/probably has nothing to do with this issue.

I would rule out:

- ignition switch
      - battery grounds/power leads
      - 109/main power relay
      - fuel pump relay/fuel pump

Good Luck
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

3. 10-26-2010 02:24 AM #3
      i scanned the codes and i got a misfire cylinder 1, low catalyst threshold, and engine speed sensor error. now i cleared the codes and it has not thrown anymore in the past day that i have been working on the car. when i said it wont let it start i mean it will turn over but it wont fire up. there is a strong odor of fuel when cranking so i suspect that is not the issue. im going to check the grounds tomorrow. ill post a reply. wish me luck.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VRT / 2003 Jeep Liberty
      10-26-2010 07:49 AM #4
      CPS

5. 10-26-2010 11:51 AM #5
      well i went to work on the car today and i think i narrowed it down to a relay. when i opened the door i could here a ticking sound from under the dash and the digi display was flashing. stuck key in ignition and battery went dead and the ticking stopped. is there a way to test the relays to see if they're bad? also does anyone have a diagram so i know what im looking at or for?