Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: alaincopter's brasil-style AP turbo fox build

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      07-07-2012 01:34 PM #141
      Thanks Mark! It's still not running as well as it should at idle and on the low end due to old dirty injectors that sometimes pulse instead of spraying, but it's getting new ones very soon. Hope to see you again and meet the turbo wagon in the future as well

Bought the last bit of paint and clear coat I'll need to re-do the quarter panels, then it'll get buttoned up again

Vehicles
      1989 vw fox gl turbo, Holset hx35w on meth:)new project 1968 bug and o 86 gti
      07-09-2012 12:58 PM #142
      love the look of the car man nice and clean. any ideas what the future for the car is

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Fox Coupe, '04 Jetta GLS Wagon TDi, '88 Fox GL Wagon (project)
      07-09-2012 01:00 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by vwturbofox View Post
      love the look of the car man nice and clean. Any ideas what the future for the car is
      drive it!
      How a VW Fox Wagon sucked me back in...a build thread

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 01:05 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by redone17 View Post
      drive it!
      well yeah drive it. but i ment was like car shows,magazines,road course,drag racer, daily driver, weekend racer that kind of stuff

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 01:13 PM #145
      Thanks; yeah, definitely lots of driving planned - it'll go back to being my summer car. Occasionally take it to the track for fun. Over the next winter, I think I'll take the time to do some interior work, getting some recaro seats, and upholstering them with the gti cloth I brought from Brazil along with the door panels

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      07-11-2012 12:03 AM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by alaincopter View Post
      Thanks; yeah, definitely lots of driving planned - it'll go back to being my summer car. Occasionally take it to the track for fun. Over the next winter, I think I'll take the time to do some interior work, getting some recaro seats, and upholstering them with the gti cloth I brought from Brazil along with the door panels
      Excellent work dude, really good job.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      07-14-2012 02:28 AM #147
      Thanks man!! It's really paying off and soon it'll be back on the road!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Fox, 1989 Peugeot 505 Wagon rolling shell, 1998 Saturn SL1, (but just while I fix my Fox!)
      07-15-2012 02:28 PM #148
      Thanks man!! It's really paying off and soon it'll be back on the road!

Vehicles
      VW: Fox, Passat Trucks: f350, 2500hd Other: J body
      07-16-2012 10:57 PM #149
      Car looks perfect! Nice work

10. Member
      Vehicles
      07-22-2012 08:17 PM #150
      Thanks!

Well everything is pretty much back together for now:

Unfortunately though, my fueling problem persists - new injectors and fuel filter did not help much. The injectors are still pulsing, which causes the car to buck and smoke. I'm suspecting a bad fuel distributor, since it has never run right since replacing the fuel distributor with the Mercedes V8 unit. I pulled that from a 450 in a junkyard, so there was never any guarantee that it was good. But fearing that maybe it's my fuel pump, fuel accumulator or fuel pressure regulator, I made up a thread in the CIS injection forum asking for help with the issue...
      Last edited by alaincopter; 04-17-2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: new picture hosting

Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon ...................... 1990 Fox Wagon
      07-22-2012 11:36 PM #151
      Hawt!

Vehicles
      07-23-2012 12:14 PM #152
      Thanks!

Well everything is pretty much back together for now:

Unfortunately though, my fueling problem persists - new injectors and fuel filter did not help much. The injectors are still pulsing, which causes the car to buck and smoke. I'm suspecting a bad fuel distributor, since it has never run right since replacing the fuel distributor with the Mercedes V8 unit. I pulled that from a 450 in a junkyard, so there was never any guarantee that it was good. But fearing that maybe it's my fuel pump, fuel accumulator or fuel pressure regulator, I made up a thread in the CIS injection forum asking for help with the issue...
      I feel your pain man... I am about this close........ | | from pulling the trigger on a set of redline carbs.

Vehicles
      1993 Vw Fox,2007 Jetta Fahrenheit
      07-31-2012 10:49 PM #153
      Very good looking car. I like the body kit!

Vehicles
      08-07-2012 08:36 PM #154
      This has been a great build. What exhaust manifold are you using for the turbo, I'm thinking of boosting mine and not sure what manifold to use or just build a custom.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08-07-2012 10:01 PM #155
      themagellan - it's so frustrating! I love CIS-E when it works right though, and can't wait to solve this problem. It's down to the injector lines now and I have stock ones coming. Very excited! Carbs are awesome too though, if you don't mind the drop in fuel mileage and don't have emissions tests to go through!

1993vw fox - thanks for the comments!! I recently spent some time pulling the body kit back out and aligning it better - I'm now satisfied with the fitment and will take some new pics soon after buffing the new paint.

The exhaust manifold is from SPA, the leading manufacturer of aftermarket turbo stuff in Brazil. They make all kinds of turbo manifolds for different makes and models; mine is their bestseller 8V longitudinal/T3 turbo/3-bolt wastegate manifold. It's a perfect fit for a Fox, and with a .50 there's no need to notch or hammer any body metal. I brought my manifold from Brazil but in the US, you can order SPA products through Design Engineering, Inc. Any other info you need for your project, just let me know

16. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      08-08-2012 02:12 AM #156
      The exhaust manifold is from SPA, the leading manufacturer of aftermarket turbo stuff in Brazil. They make all kinds of turbo manifolds for different makes and models; mine is their bestseller 8V longitudinal/T3 turbo/3-bolt wastegate manifold. It's a perfect fit for a Fox, and with a .50 there's no need to notch or hammer any body metal. I brought my manifold from Brazil but in the US, you can order SPA products through Design Engineering, Inc. Any other info you need for your project, just let me know
      I'm assuming they don't make some sort of magic manifold that would allow the AC compressor to remain?

Man that Fox is looking good
      I really suck at smog.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      08-08-2012 07:23 PM #157
      Hey ziddey, thanks for the comment! As for the EM for a Fox with AC, they have this manifold which, along with an AC compressor relocation kit can be made to work - though all this magic would place the turbo right where the fuel distributor is if installing on a Fox I...

Vehicles
      08-08-2012 08:26 PM #158
      I really do love what can be done with CIS and how good of a system it is, but it's the decaying of the components that really aggravates me. It is a trip down the old rabbit hole if you will.

All that aside It's pretty amazing what you've done here. When I look at those pictures it looks like the concept you planned, and it came out perfect. Good to see you keep adding to it too.

Vehicles
      08-09-2012 03:02 PM #159
      hey alain

so your fuel problem is like wat happend to my fox. i had the audi 5 cylinder unit in my fox at one point it ran like crap spudder back fire lots of smoke. i fixed mine just go to the junk yard i pulled my cis-e unit out of a rabbit. i put it in and also wired up the cold start valve to spray fuel at 5 psi, and also i run meth injection i used hob swiches. hope this helped a little

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 12:24 AM #160
      Thank you for the info. I'm on the fence of boosting or just building a N/A motor. My last fox was N/A and by the time I was done it was close to 125hp. But again thank you for the info.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      08-10-2012 06:20 PM #161
      No worries. I do hope you choose the turbo route big commitment but huge satisfaction.

Nick - thanks for your input, I also thought it was a faulty fuel distributor at first. But the issue is actually the custom injector lines I made, because they have a section that's fuel injection rubber hose, that hose momentarily expands and absorbs some of the pressure that was otherwise meant to keep the injectors open and spraying, causing them to pulse instead of spraying continuously. The issue is explained in detail in the thread I created in the CIS Injection Forum (link a few posts above). Soon I will adapt stock injector lines to work on the Mercedes fuel distributor and all will be good again. I also use pressure switches, but I don't use the cold start injector for additional fueling; don't need it as of now but I might in the future. Though with my FD, 8 injectors will definitely be the way to go at some point.

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 01:40 PM #162
      No worries. I do hope you choose the turbo route big commitment but huge satisfaction.

Nick - thanks for your input, I also thought it was a faulty fuel distributor at first. But the issue is actually the custom injector lines I made, because they have a section that's fuel injection rubber hose, that hose momentarily expands and absorbs some of the pressure that was otherwise meant to keep the injectors open and spraying, causing them to pulse instead of spraying continuously. The issue is explained in detail in the thread I created in the CIS Injection Forum (link a few posts above). Soon I will adapt stock injector lines to work on the Mercedes fuel distributor and all will be good again. I also use pressure switches, but I don't use the cold start injector for additional fueling; don't need it as of now but I might in the future. Though with my FD, 8 injectors will definitely be the way to go at some point.
      hey a least the problem is simple and not a big huge problem good luck

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6 <-- Dead. 2003 Jetta 2.slow <-- Sold. 1988 Jetta GL
      08-15-2012 03:51 PM #163
      This whole thread is nothing short of pure awesomeness.

Thanks for the inspiration man! Definitely needed.
      2000 Jetta VR6 GLS <-- She's dead. | 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slowasballs | 1993 Fox Wolfsburg Edition Coupe

8v Society #8

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Gol GTS 1994
      08-16-2012 10:16 PM #164
      It's strange, that car really looks like a "Voyage GTi". Volks made the Sport model, based on the GTS, but never made anything based on the GTi. Now I know how it would look.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08-17-2012 01:59 PM #165
      Yeah, though I chose not to install the B-column cover from the GTi, which I still have laying around.

I just prefer leaving the B columns stock on my Fox, I like how they look. Come to think of it, I might put them up for sale in the classifieds so someone else can enjoy them.
      Last edited by alaincopter; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: new picture hosting

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Gol GTS 1994
      08-17-2012 03:56 PM #166
      But the Sport never had the B-column cover, so I think you are on the right direction.

Anyway, I don't think pop-up windows can work with the covers.

Vehicles
      2011 CC Sport
      08-17-2012 11:07 PM #167
      I don't claim to read Portuguese but I am pretty sure it says something about Recaro seats. Combined with the prior pic above I would have to assume that there are some factory Fox Recaro's in Brazil.
      Wouldn't it be amazing to get a set of Recaro's that would just fit? Only in my dreams, eh?

28. Member
      Vehicles
      08-18-2012 12:33 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by huzrddy View Post
      I don't claim to read Portuguese but I am pretty sure it says something about Recaro seats. Combined with the prior pic above I would have to assume that there are some factory Fox Recaro's in Brazil.
      Wouldn't it be amazing to get a set of Recaro's that would just fit? Only in my dreams, eh?
      Pretty much; VW had a few different style recaro seats in their sport models over the years there, but a pair of them in ok condition over there will go for way more than a whole Fox usually sells for around here these days that's why I only bothered bringing the cloth back.

Difus, about the pop-out windows, they work with the covers as long as the covers are mounted with double sided tape and not screwed on. After all, the windows barely move on their pivoting side.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      09-05-2012 01:10 AM #169
      Finally the long awaited update: we're back on the road!!!

The fueling problem is finally solved with stock CIS-E injector lines (thank you denver_fox!!), which were made to work with the Mercedes FD via "adapters" I made by tapping and shortening brake line fittings - they are basically threaded sleeves, M10x1 outside, M8x1 inside, which allow the smaller bolts from the Fox to fit the larger ports on the Merc FD:

As I had posted and commented with turbinepowered and ziddey over in the CIS forum, the idea was to go with commercially available M10 to M8 adapters; but those were near impossible to find, terribly expensive, and would make the line fittings sit a bit too high in the end. With the adapters I made, everything works and looks close to stock:

The car is running awesome, and is a blast to drive. I spent some time tuning it for emissions and I have to say I love what this FD can do. It has no problem running on a smaller engine and half the injectors it originally was meant for - mixture is stoich at idle and part throttle, fuel delivery is constant and smooth, throttle response is great, and it gets nice and rich when in boost - all the way from 0 to 11 psi. It is fast and fun!

I've since replaced the motor mounts with bmw e30 ones, added the radiator surround covers that myboxyfox's friend Rob gave me. This past Friday I took it on its first road trip since the rebuild. About 600km from Montreal to Waterloo and it behaved very well!

Pics after today's rainfall:

Next will come a little bit of buffing and detailing, then taking it to the Berlin Klassik show coming up this weekend
      Last edited by alaincopter; 04-17-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: new picture hosting

Vehicles
      1988 Fox GL Wagon
      09-05-2012 03:03 AM #170
      Love it Alain, beautiful car and I love the tasteful performance modifications.

Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon ...................... 1990 Fox Wagon
      09-05-2012 09:34 AM #171
      Looking Fine!
      You will be turning heads and maybe even changing minds at the Klassik.

Vehicles
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, 2013 Fiesta
      09-05-2012 11:51 AM #172
      Looks sweet. Glad it's running well!
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

33. 09-06-2012 08:34 PM #173
      Classiest Fox project (w/ tons of great info to boot!)
      Hats off!

34. 09-06-2012 10:13 PM #174

great result, and I was already a fan of your car when it was orange(?)

Vehicles
      1988 Fox GL Wagon
      09-07-2012 01:12 AM #175

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast