Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: A TCL First? '67 Rolls Royce project thread...

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      02-23-2011 01:26 PM #106
      Way to go! Good decision on the trans, might as well make it right - and make it behave like a proper Roller.

2. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      02-23-2011 01:53 PM #107
      im running into some confusion with the mirrors that should have been on this car (before it was federalized)... ill have to take a couple pictures of what ive got and post them on RROC, as ive found i think 4 or 5 different variations of mirrors on these cars and im not sure whether they were all available and were picked by the owners as options or whether it was a year to year difference.

3. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-23-2011 01:57 PM #108
      Fantastic! I'm glad to see it going on as a restoration instead of some hacked-up mod car. Granted, the options would open up if you didn't mind modifying it, but this will be much sweeter in the end.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

4. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-23-2011 02:06 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Fantastic! I'm glad to see it going on as a restoration instead of some hacked-up mod car.
      indeed, and it would be virtually impossible to get rid of if we did decide to do that

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      02-23-2011 03:41 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      im running into some confusion with the mirrors that should have been on this car (before it was federalized)... ill have to take a couple pictures of what ive got and post them on RROC, as ive found i think 4 or 5 different variations of mirrors on these cars and im not sure whether they were all available and were picked by the owners as options or whether it was a year to year difference.
      I only recall a couple of options for the 1966-1967 cars - RHD cars with the fender-mounted round mirrors (part #UB 5224), and LHD with the round mirrors mounted by the quarterlights. The only options for door-mounted mirrors are convex (UB 14151) or flat (UB 14150), and on the driver's door or both. (I've still got all my books, which includes the owner's manual, shop manual and parts manuals and the original RR brochure for the Silver Shadow in 1966.)
      Last edited by epbrown; 02-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-23-2011 06:17 PM #111
      im headed out to the shop tonight but ill post pictures of the door mounted square crap that weve got, the holes that are left over on our window trim from the small round mirrors that i presume the car used to have... and then the couple of pictures ive found online of other early shadows and what they appear to have.
      lots of confusion

my hope is to try to track down the round door mounted (and adjustable from the interior) ones ive managed to find pictures of online, but havent checked for prices or availability.

im certain that this car shipped with window frame mounted non adjustable mirrors, but someone added these interior adjustable square ones at some point - and whacked holes in the door trim (for the adjusters) and in the doors. so were hoping to use the holes that theyve made to mount the smaller round mirrors...

itll all make more sense with pictures i think

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      02-23-2011 06:44 PM #112
      im headed out to the shop tonight but ill post pictures of the door mounted square crap that weve got, the holes that are left over on our window trim from the small round mirrors that i presume the car used to have... and then the couple of pictures ive found online of other early shadows and what they appear to have.
      lots of confusion
      I look forward to the pics, but the round mirrors are the original. A lot of people have attempted various "upgrades" as they're pretty small by modern standards and overtime the housing loses tension and the mirror doesn't hold position so people replace rather than repair.

8. 02-23-2011 07:44 PM #113
      This is the best build thread I have ever read on vortex. So excited to see the outcome.

These cars sweat class.

9. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-23-2011 11:24 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
      I look forward to the pics, but the round mirrors are the original.
      thats what im thinking as well... but now that weve got holes in the wood work and the doors, my thought is to at least attempt to reuse them, if i can get my hands on two of the round door mounted style.

anyway, onto the pictures!

heres us (both sides of the car are the same):

the original holes:

and i didnt take shots but theres a hole through each front door wood piece for the adjustment knob to poke through...

heres a RHD '67 with the fender mounted setup - which seems to follow most of the other RHD '67s ive seen

and finally heres a RHD '76 with a combo of both the window mounted and door mounted round mirrors:

like i said my hope is to find a left and right version of the round door mounted style that are adjustable from inside - as seen on the driver's side of the RHD '76, so that we can reuse the holes in the wood and doors that someone so kindly drilled in our car...
      something like this guy:

(currently on ebay, description says euro spec '75)

im going to bug the brainiacs at RROC about this also, but figured this might make an interesting discussion here too
      chrome bumpers shipped today... so pictures are on their way soon

10. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-24-2011 09:58 AM #115
      the original holes:
      Hmmmmm. Could you not pull the chrome, weld the holes and have them re-chromed? That may be a good solution and you'd lose redundant holes without disturbing the paint.

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-24-2011 11:40 AM #116
      yeah i think so, also getting our hands on non-drilled window frames is easy because thats the most common configuration - since the later more common cars had door mounted mirrors.

and according to the handful of folks whove responded apparently there were 4 different types of mirrors available in the 60s, each being available in either a single on the drivers side or a dual mirror configuration depending on how it was ordered. among those 4 types the door mounted adjustable round mirror was an option.
      now to hunt down a pair!

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      02-24-2011 01:40 PM #117
      What wonderful cars.

I've driven many of them over the years, and they simply drive like no other car on the road.

One thing that bothers me about these is the steering wheel. Why not wood and with same damned style! It looks like it belongs on a taxi.

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-24-2011 03:12 PM #118
      ive seen a few online with wooden wheels, but yeah youre right the plastic hardly seems fitting

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-15-2011 12:30 PM #119
      all kinds of parts sitting at the shop now, including 3 bumpers

so far got the front bumper on loose to make adjustments to the fitment... need to take a couple of pictures as it looks 100% better already and we havent even swapped up the mirrors

after removing the old bumpers i found a couple places that need some touching up underneath but it should look great afterwards

15. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-15-2011 12:44 PM #120
      pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      03-15-2011 06:27 PM #121
      after removing the old bumpers i found a couple places that need some touching up underneath but it should look great afterwards
      Very vulnerable rust-trap, under the bumpers. I was always planning to put some 3M there, as I saw rock chips start to rust in what seemed like days on mine.

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-15-2011 06:29 PM #122
      i can imagine, and we already have a few dings and dents and whatnot from before

should have pics in a couple days

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-22-2011 12:38 AM #123
      couple shots of the front (havent had time to fit the rear)

keep in mind that its not really mounted but just finger tight... still need to adjust/center/level it

03-22-2011 01:10 AM #124
      Great looking car!
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-22-2011 11:20 AM #125
      thanks, ill hopefully get a chance over the next few weeks to completely mount both bumpers

21. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-25-2011 04:45 PM #126
      another month, another update

trans should be a couple weeks out now, most of the way reassembled and just waiting on a couple more odds and ends to get it buttoned up.

22. 04-25-2011 04:50 PM #127
      I love it when this pops to the top of my subscribed threads.

04-25-2011 05:04 PM #128
      another month, another update
      Another month requires more pics!

What odds and ends are you waiting for? After watching too much Wheelers Dealers I'm convinced there is a specialty garage somewhere in England that makes OEM parts for anything!
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      04-26-2011 02:10 AM #129
      Watching!

25. 04-26-2011 06:30 AM #130
      Very cool project.

26. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-26-2011 01:49 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Another month requires more pics!
      i agree! hah but its just been sitting waiting on parts to show up and on the transmission to get finished up...

Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      What odds and ends are you waiting for? After watching too much Wheelers Dealers I'm convinced there is a specialty garage somewhere in England that makes OEM parts for anything!
      still need to track down an intake hose bracket, intake hose, and the battery cover for the trunk. over the last month or so ive managed to get the proper washer bottle, washer motor, and bottle bracket. also got a whole shifter assembly so i can replace the cracked shifter handle that weve got, and a new rear mirror to replace one of the flaking ones weve got...

next projects before the trans comes back are getting the bumpers all sorted out, hiding some of the wiring in the rear that the chrome rear bumper doesnt have provisions for, and touching up some of the paint up front behind the bumper.

i might have time to wrap up the bumpers this weekend, but i need a few dry days to finish painting the brackets.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      04-26-2011 06:58 PM #132
      Speaking of your car, here's my latest temptation to rejoin the fold:

It's a 1966 Silver Shadow Coupe, James Young edition. Only 50 made, of those only 15 are LHD (the one pictured isn't, btw). I've only seen two of these advertised in the US, this one and a rust-bucket that sat on a Lousiiana lot for years. I like the MPW/Corniche, but really love these as they carry over the great lines of the Silver Shadow more faithfully. They didn't sell well because they were insanely expensive for the time - unlike Mulliner Park Ward, they had no relationship with Rolls-Royce and had to pay full retail for a Shadow then re-do the body as a coupe.

Unfortunately for this one, some knucklehead decided to update it and add the later bumpers. Another wierd thing is, though you can't see this in the pics, the restorer didn't put back the side mirrors.

04-26-2011 07:24 PM #133

It's a 1966 Silver Shadow Coupe, James Young edition. Only 50 made, of those only 15 are LHD (the one pictured isn't, btw). I've only seen two of these advertised in the US, this one and a rust-bucket that sat on a Lousiiana lot for years. I like the MPW/Corniche, but really love these as they carry over the great lines of the Silver Shadow more faithfully. They didn't sell well because they were insanely expensive for the time - unlike Mulliner Park Ward, they had no relationship with Rolls-Royce and had to pay full retail for a Shadow then re-do the body as a coupe.

Unfortunately for this one, some knucklehead decided to update it and add the later bumpers. Another wierd thing is, though you can't see this in the pics, the restorer didn't put back the side mirrors.
      It also sits too low...great looking automobile nonetheless

29. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-26-2011 08:15 PM #134

great looking car! crazy rare, wow...

i truly cant stand the coupes with the later bumpers... the sedans im not quite as bothered by, but i think they look terrible on a coupe

plenty of neat stuff for sale in the 25k-35k price range on RROC the last few months though if youre thinking about getting back into it

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      04-26-2011 09:29 PM #135
      plenty of neat stuff for sale in the 25k-35k price range on RROC the last few months though if youre thinking about getting back into it
      Seeing yours pop up every now and again gets me thinking. I'm currently looking to sell the Solstice and I'd like to replace it with something vintage, but the top candidate is a series 2 Jaguar XKE. Thing is, that's a sports car and I've always been somewhat philosophically opposed to owning a vintage sports car, so I've found myself looking at Rollers and Bentleys as well. If a chrome bumper James Young coupe or Corniche coupe popped up in LHD...

31. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-27-2011 11:26 AM #136
      If a chrome bumper James Young coupe or Corniche coupe popped up in LHD...

are you still on RROC?
      i think theres a couple corniches in the classifieds...
      if i see anything ill pass on the info

32. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      04-27-2011 05:10 PM #137
      are you still on RROC?
      i think theres a couple corniches in the classifieds...
      if i see anything ill pass on the info
      I'm still on RROC, but I haven't seen a LHD coupe posted this year. I was liking the blue 72 sedan in Indiana, but everyone talked the owner into keeping it!

33. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-27-2011 05:50 PM #138
      The 68 t type convertible that sold recently was awesome as well!

34. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      04-27-2011 05:57 PM #139
      From the guy selling the Camargue? Nice, yes, but RHD.

Vehicles
      13.5 FSM GLI
      04-27-2011 06:10 PM #140
      missed this first time around...in now
      Current: 2013.5 FSM GLI

Previous: 09 DBP CC, 93 Cabby, 07 DBP GLI, 91 TR GTI 16V, 05 PG GLI....

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Don't **** with Wayne. He is crazy and likes 311.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast