VWVortex.com - 2010 TDI ISSUES (big issues)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 79

    Thread: 2010 TDI ISSUES (big issues)

    1. 10-29-2010 02:01 PM #1
      Just to let you guys know - I loved vw's. I've had my first mk1, mk2 16v, corrado, mk3vr6...and list goes on. We also bought a brand new 2010 golf Tdi thinking its german made - better quality.


      This car now has 6k miles and probably close to $15,000 in repair bills!

      More and more people are having same issue and the reason I'm writing this is in hope to open your eyes.

      A lot of people including me, has fuel pump failure. That's not bad you say..and no it's not if that was the only problem. When it fails, all metal particles that are shredded inside travel through your WHOLE fuel system. Your fuel tank, your fuel lines, etc. Basically everything from your fuel tank to your fuel injectors. They replaced close to 50 parts on a brand new car!!!

      When this happens, the car stalls completely which is now a safety issue! Imagine driving 2 kids on a highway and your car shuts off, giving you very limited braking (IF ANY) and steering!

      VW - does absolutely nothing about this. Feds have already opened a preliminary case but it takes time to make it an official recall. Until officially this problem is not taken care of, I really suggest you get another car. Sorry to disappoint you - i'm too.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 19th, 2006
      Posts
      1,941
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-29-2010 02:14 PM #2
      This is actually very well documented in other threads. While nobody is denying it happens, there are questions as to why, along with the frequency of occurence.

      You say a lot of folks including you have had this problem. When it occur with your car? Everything in your post is correct with regards to what happens during the HPFP failure. But you are talking in the past tense. Were not your repairs covered under warranty? Did you pay $15k out of you pocket in repairs?
      2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

      Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

    3. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      40,373
      Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      10-29-2010 02:22 PM #3
      Yes, did you pay out of pocket? Could you contribute the failure to bad diesel? Etc. etc.

    4. Awaiting Email Confirmation Scrawnyirishboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2010
      Location
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Posts
      488
      Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta Pkg 2, 2.5 liter Auto (My Girly Car)
      10-29-2010 02:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by a3vr6tur View Post
      Just to let you guys know - I loved vw's. I've had my first mk1, mk2 16v, corrado, mk3vr6...and list goes on. We also bought a brand new 2010 golf Tdi thinking its german made - better quality.


      This car now has 6k miles and probably close to $15,000 in repair bills!

      More and more people are having same issue and the reason I'm writing this is in hope to open your eyes.

      A lot of people including me, has fuel pump failure. That's not bad you say..and no it's not if that was the only problem. When it fails, all metal particles that are shredded inside travel through your WHOLE fuel system. Your fuel tank, your fuel lines, etc. Basically everything from your fuel tank to your fuel injectors. They replaced close to 50 parts on a brand new car!!!

      When this happens, the car stalls completely which is now a safety issue! Imagine driving 2 kids on a highway and your car shuts off, giving you very limited braking (IF ANY) and steering!

      VW - does absolutely nothing about this. Feds have already opened a preliminary case but it takes time to make it an official recall. Until officially this problem is not taken care of, I really suggest you get another car. Sorry to disappoint you - i'm too.
      I feel like if this was 15,000 worth of damage and such a life-draining problem, you'd have submitted this car to the appropriate authorities concerning lemon laws in your state. Something seems fishy to me.

      Some cars are lemons, it stinks, but just handle it according to your states lemon laws.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 19th, 2006
      Posts
      1,941
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-29-2010 02:40 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Scrawnyirishboy View Post
      I feel like if this was 15,000 worth of damage and such a life-draining problem, you'd have submitted this car to the appropriate authorities concerning lemon laws in your state. Something seems fishy to me. Some cars are lemons, it stinks, but just handle it according to your states lemon laws.
      OP has 10 posts.

      There are people that post volumes of posts concerning every time a window doesn't go down or a rear washer pees on the rear window. I would think the multitude of dealer visits the OP inferred would have been quite the thread.
      2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

      Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

    6. Awaiting Email Confirmation Scrawnyirishboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2010
      Location
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Posts
      488
      Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta Pkg 2, 2.5 liter Auto (My Girly Car)
      10-29-2010 02:57 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dhambrick View Post
      OP has 10 posts.

      There are people that post volumes of posts concerning every time a window doesn't go down or a rear washer pees on the rear window. I would think the multitude of dealer visits the OP inferred would have been quite the thread.
      It's just as plausable the OP put gasoline in their TDI and ran it long enough to do damage to the fuel system. (I'm not debating that their is an open issue on the fuel pump, I've never heard of it but I take your word for it)

      My question is why if VW has dumped this much money into your car over what I'd assume are countless visits to your dealership to accumulate this sum of close to 15,000, why haven't you assumed it's a Lemon and reported the vehicle via your local lemon law statutes?

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 19th, 2006
      Posts
      1,941
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-29-2010 03:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Scrawnyirishboy View Post
      It's just as plausable the OP put gasoline in their TDI and ran it long enough to do damage to the fuel system. (I'm not debating that their is an open issue on the fuel pump, I've never heard of it but I take your word for it)

      My question is why if VW has dumped this much money into your car over what I'd assume are countless visits to your dealership to accumulate this sum of close to 15,000, why haven't you assumed it's a Lemon and reported the vehicle via your local lemon law statutes?
      There is a fair amount of documentation about this (TDIClub and whatnot). Putting petrol instead of diesel would cause the same problem, since the lack of lubricity would cause the pump to self-destruct. There's a lot of debate on whether or not people that have had this happen did (or somebody else) put petrol instead of diesel in the tank.

      There is also questions about whether the Ultra Low Sulfur content has an affect on lubricity, which could affect pump logevity. Then there is debate about the design of the pump's impeller, and the possibility of it turning sideways or something.

      My point is this: When the 3.6 Passats came out, there was a ton of b*thcing about the lag on acceleration (the DBW). It was bad. Although VW denied it, and apparently told its dealers and techs to deny it as well, there was a ton of people posting about it. About a year in, an ECU update made the lag tons better.

      If pumps TDi pumps were self-grenading, there would be a ton more posts about it.
      2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

      Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

    8. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      40,373
      Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      10-29-2010 04:20 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dhambrick View Post
      There is a fair amount of documentation about this (TDIClub and whatnot). Putting petrol instead of diesel would cause the same problem, since the lack of lubricity would cause the pump to self-destruct. There's a lot of debate on whether or not people that have had this happen did (or somebody else) put petrol instead of diesel in the tank.

      There is also questions about whether the Ultra Low Sulfur content has an affect on lubricity, which could affect pump logevity. Then there is debate about the design of the pump's impeller, and the possibility of it turning sideways or something.

      My point is this: When the 3.6 Passats came out, there was a ton of b*thcing about the lag on acceleration (the DBW). It was bad. Although VW denied it, and apparently told its dealers and techs to deny it as well, there was a ton of people posting about it. About a year in, an ECU update made the lag tons better.

      If pumps TDi pumps were self-grenading, there would be a ton more posts about it.
      I ran KleenDiesel additive in my TDI, boosts lubricity and Cetane levels.

      @ OP

    9. Member quailallstar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Ormond Beach, FL
      Posts
      9,023
      Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      10-29-2010 04:56 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by remembermorrison View Post
      I ran KleenDiesel additive in my TDI, boosts lubricity and Cetane levels.

      @ OP
      This is the stuff I got as well. Going to add some when I get my new car tomorrow. I rather spend 1.30 per fill up extra to treat the diesel with an additive than haves some major malfunction like this occur.
      2Ø16 Golf 7 Variant Highline R-Line Pure-Weiß 1,8 FSI « 2Ø11 Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF 2,0 TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline Candy-Weiß 5-Türen« Ø8 Golf 5 .:R32 Deep Blau Perleffekt 3,2 VR6 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen « Ø6 Golf 5 GTI 2,0 FSI DSG Tornadorot 3-Türen « Ø2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen. I Euro-spec OEM Mods

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2009
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      168
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2002 Audi TT quattro
      10-29-2010 04:57 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
      This is the stuff I got as well. Going to add some when I get my new car tomorrow. I rather spend 1.30 per fill up extra to treat the diesel with an additive than haves some major malfunction like this occur.
      I've been using power service since day 1, everything looked fine when I changed the fuel filter at 20k. It may not help but it doesn't hurt.

    11. Member toasters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2001
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      1,673
      Vehicles
      2016 VW e-Golf SE DCFC
      10-29-2010 05:44 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Scenic Driver View Post
      I've been using power service since day 1, everything looked fine when I changed the fuel filter at 20k. It may not help but it doesn't hurt.
      Doesn't hurt? Couldn't VW deny warranty claims if they find out you've been using additives?

    12. Member Code3VW's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2004
      Location
      Gilbert, AZ
      Posts
      13,885
      Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      10-29-2010 06:35 PM #12
      Yes, they could. If they don't specifically recommend it, why risk it? Do you really want to get into a dispute with VW over $15k in repairs because you decided to put some unapproved additive into your fuel? VW is fixing all of the issues as they arise (which aren't nearly as many as the OP would have us believe, with his 10 posts and all. )

      If you guys are worried about lubricity, run B5 or blend some biodiesel into your gas. B5 is recommended and allowed by VW and it boosts the lubricity.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2008
      Posts
      705
      Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf/'09 C4S/'16 S3
      10-29-2010 08:53 PM #13
      This engine has been out for ages in Europe, and i've not heard about any fuel pump issues over there. Which makes me believe its either the varying quality of diesel in the US, or simple neglegence on the owners/operators who either forget, or don't realize its a diesel and fill it with gas.

      I have two friends who have TDI Jettas, (I actually pointed them towards the car, so I hope they don't have any issues!) and neither have had any problems with the cars. One has about 8k, and the other probably less than 2k miles.

      OP, I hope you get your car back fixed 100% and the issues do not return. If I drove a TDI, I would only get diesel from a big name station, i.e. Shell/Chevron etc.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,230
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      10-29-2010 09:02 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronan1 View Post
      This engine has been out for ages in Europe, and i've not heard about any fuel pump issues over there. Which makes me believe its either the varying quality of diesel in the US, or simple neglegence on the owners/operators who either forget, or don't realize its a diesel and fill it with gas.

      I have two friends who have TDI Jettas, (I actually pointed them towards the car, so I hope they don't have any issues!) and neither have had any problems with the cars. One has about 8k, and the other probably less than 2k miles.

      OP, I hope you get your car back fixed 100% and the issues do not return. If I drove a TDI, I would only get diesel from a big name station, i.e. Shell/Chevron etc.
      Europe has diesel fuel with better lubrication properties.


      I have heard of 6-7 tdi jettas get this complete replacement as the guy that started thread said in the last 6 months.






      I assume this was covered under warranty a3vr6tur ?

    15. Member Mo_Focus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2005
      Posts
      798
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      10-29-2010 09:24 PM #15
      isnt 2010 Jetta still mk5? also this guy only posted once and not gone. I would say please just ignore this or delete it. Not a reputable post!
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,230
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      10-29-2010 09:32 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Focus View Post
      isnt 2010 Jetta still mk5? also this guy only posted once and not gone. I would say please just ignore this or delete it. Not a reputable post!

    17. Member TWinbrook46636's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2003
      Posts
      1,229
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-30-2010 12:36 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by toasters View Post
      Doesn't hurt? Couldn't VW deny warranty claims if they find out you've been using additives?
      Diesel already contains additives at the pump.

    18. 10-30-2010 05:19 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronan1 View Post
      This engine has been out for ages in Europe, and i've not heard about any fuel pump issues over there. Which makes me believe its either the varying quality of diesel in the US, or simple neglegence on the owners/operators who either forget, or don't realize its a diesel and fill it with gas.

      I have two friends who have TDI Jettas, (I actually pointed them towards the car, so I hope they don't have any issues!) and neither have had any problems with the cars. One has about 8k, and the other probably less than 2k miles.

      OP, I hope you get your car back fixed 100% and the issues do not return. If I drove a TDI, I would only get diesel from a big name station, i.e. Shell/Chevron etc.
      I have been following, like most, the HPFP thread but my own research over hear shows very few failures.
      Our diesel is B7 by the way( ie can be up to 7%) without specific labelling at the fuel station.
      Anything over that has to shown on the pump.

    19. Senior Member feels_road's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2005
      Location
      East Bay Area
      Posts
      23,413
      Vehicles
      2016 MkVII e-Golf, 2017 MkVII Golf Alltrack, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-30-2010 07:29 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by a3vr6tur View Post
      Just to let you guys know ... very well known garbage
      This person has ten posts - but only one that shows up in history. That is, nine were deleted. I wonder why...

      There have been numerous threads on this. In my view, and as a new CR-TDI owner, the summary is:

      - the US initially had problems in making sure lubricity and other fuel qualities were adhered to, during the recent, vast transitions, especially in certain states

      - VW has taken care of all cases that had problems, except perhaps initially the first very few a year ago, when this was not a known problem

      - retroactively, this is not an issue: VW now knows about this and takes care of it

      - since 2009, incidents seem to have decreased dramatically - to the point where you have to dig deep to find single cases in the more than ~80,000 CR-TDI vehicles sold. Which is such a ridiculously low number, that I would say this engine is bullet-proof.

      Finally, of course, no owner would ever have to pay for a repair bill on this.
      Last edited by feels_road; 10-30-2010 at 07:33 AM.

    20. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2010
      Location
      San Diego, California
      Posts
      40
      Vehicles
      2016 Audi A3 etron Sportback, 1995 Porsche Carrera 4
      10-30-2010 11:29 AM #20
      My other car is a Boxster, and on the forums there is lots of hysteria about intermediate main shaft issues. Same as TDI. Worrying about stuff like that is like worrying about getting struck by lightning. Just drive your TDI and enjoy it.

      And don't fill the tank with gasoline.

    21. Awaiting Email Confirmation Scrawnyirishboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2010
      Location
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Posts
      488
      Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta Pkg 2, 2.5 liter Auto (My Girly Car)
      10-30-2010 11:56 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by dhambrick View Post
      There is a fair amount of documentation about this (TDIClub and whatnot). Putting petrol instead of diesel would cause the same problem, since the lack of lubricity would cause the pump to self-destruct. There's a lot of debate on whether or not people that have had this happen did (or somebody else) put petrol instead of diesel in the tank.

      There is also questions about whether the Ultra Low Sulfur content has an affect on lubricity, which could affect pump logevity. Then there is debate about the design of the pump's impeller, and the possibility of it turning sideways or something.

      My point is this: When the 3.6 Passats came out, there was a ton of b*thcing about the lag on acceleration (the DBW). It was bad. Although VW denied it, and apparently told its dealers and techs to deny it as well, there was a ton of people posting about it. About a year in, an ECU update made the lag tons better.

      If pumps TDi pumps were self-grenading, there would be a ton more posts about it.
      I couldn't agree more with anything you've stated. I'm not well educated enough in TDI engines to say either way, and bow down to the opinions of more experienced TDI owners, humbly. However, I like to think I am well educated enough in the field of common sense. 15,000 dollars worth of repairs and the amount of trips to the dealership it'd require to accumulate these sort of shop bills with absolutely no fault on a customer generally constitutes itself as a Lemon. Either this poster doesnt understand his/her lemon laws in their state, or this story is a bit lop-sided somewhere.

      Also, once again, with my limited knowledge, does a fuel pump/line/injector system replacement on a TDI cost 15,000 dollars? that seems a bit high too.

    22. Member nikhsub1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2008
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      8,583
      Vehicles
      2015 Pre Order .:R
      10-30-2010 01:19 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by remembermorrison View Post
      I ran KleenDiesel additive in my TDI, boosts lubricity and Cetane levels.

      @ OP
      You might want to look at this test (if you haven't seen it), Power Service Diesel Kleen doesn't even get the lubricity below the magic 460 number...

      http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

    23. Member nikhsub1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2008
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      8,583
      Vehicles
      2015 Pre Order .:R
      10-30-2010 01:22 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Scrawnyirishboy View Post
      Also, once again, with my limited knowledge, does a fuel pump/line/injector system replacement on a TDI cost 15,000 dollars? that seems a bit high too.
      Yeah if it happened TWICE... the cost to fix a failed HFPF is 6-10K depending... it's not just the pump that needs to be replaced but the WHOLE fuel system since when the HFPF goes it sends metal all through the system. There have been reports that VW has denied warranty claiming the owner used bad fuel or non diesel etc, etc. Some have claimed to use nothing but diesel from a well known brand and still have had warranty denied.

    24. Awaiting Email Confirmation Scrawnyirishboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2010
      Location
      Volkswagen of Freehold
      Posts
      488
      Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta Pkg 2, 2.5 liter Auto (My Girly Car)
      10-30-2010 03:06 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      Yeah if it happened TWICE... the cost to fix a failed HFPF is 6-10K depending... it's not just the pump that needs to be replaced but the WHOLE fuel system since when the HFPF goes it sends metal all through the system. There have been reports that VW has denied warranty claiming the owner used bad fuel or non diesel etc, etc. Some have claimed to use nothing but diesel from a well known brand and still have had warranty denied.
      If there's one thing I've learned in this business, people lie. And that goes both ways.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2008
      Posts
      705
      Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf/'09 C4S/'16 S3
      10-30-2010 03:39 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by clark addison View Post
      My other car is a Boxster, and on the forums there is lots of hysteria about intermediate main shaft issues. Same as TDI. Worrying about stuff like that is like worrying about getting struck by lightning. Just drive your TDI and enjoy it.

      And don't fill the tank with gasoline.
      Best Internet advice ever. Forums are great for sharing info and fault resolution, however they are also great at scaremongering. Good luck again op, everyone else have a tall glass of calm-down juice and enjoy your tdi's

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •