I update this fairly often, and keep most of my posts/pics in this thread. Enjoy
I'm sure some of you recently saw my random progress thread, so here is the random build thread...
So a really really quick run down of the story goes like this:
I had a 94' Wolfsburg Jetta that I traded straight up for my 99.5 GTi in July of 2008
It was a GLX; VR6, Leather, Climatronic, wood grain, the works.
After I picked it up, I immediately started some little bits of work. Springs, Joey-Mod, Boser.
By early October, the clutch was slipping real bad, so I decided to replace the clutch.
Which led to a full motor / trans rebuild.
Which led to a Full "Build"
After talking to some individuals, I started building/buying parts in the following order:
VRt - timing chains, rings, bearings, forged internals. SRI, turbo manifold.
^ the only pic I have of any of that
Ditch the VRt, get something more "Affordable", with more Available...
1.8t (AWP) swap, 02M w/ RSi (R32) gears, FMIC, 3" APR TBE, 20AE Big Brakes.
Shortly after all that, followed H&R coilovers, Euro Bumpers, GLi front Valance, GLi Side Skirts, 20th AE rear Valance. Shaved hatch.
I proceeded to pull my car from the Shop that it was at, and decided I would do all the work myself, in my garage. Up until this point, my car was more or less just a shell. No work done, just parts. It had sat, torn apart, for months untouched, as I helped the shop owner, getting nothing in return.
From that point forward, all the work was done in my garage at home. 100% by me. All motor work, all body work, all fabrications and modifications we're done by me in my garage.
^i had to modify the rad support to fit the Eurojet Race Core behind the Euro-Bumper.
I had to modify an APR Dual tip Jetta muffler to work with my single tip 20th AE valance.
So I proceeded with body work, and proceeded to finish the engine bay. I sprayed the entire interior of the car with sound deadening. Lots and lots of Sound Deadening.
I picked up more odds and ends, like seats (Recaro Reps), and other items.
At this point, I decided I should be going Big Turbo. So I picked up a T3 manifold, a Garret Super60, made a downpipe, picked up an external wastegate, and made everything work.
After spending about a month trying to get my 03' AWP engine and engine harness to work with my 99' VR compartment and interior harness, I realized that it wouldn't work, and cut through and modified the AWP compartment and interior harness to fit my shaved bay.
And what do you know, after fuxking with the VR harness for a month, 2 hours of shaving and installing the AWP harnesses, and the motor fired right up. No issues. :headbang:
After I got everything running, I realized it wasn't running correctly at all. It sounded like I was making a siht ton of boost, but wasn't seeing anything.
I was also getting a code for O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1 circuit malfunction.*
So I replaced the sensor, and nothing changed.
That code can be caused by a vacuum leak into the engine. So I vacuum tested everything and found nothing. It had to be the Turbo, which I suspected had blown seals, plus it was dumping coolant into my exhaust.
So I picked up a T04e from eBay for $110 shipped to my front door. New. Never used. Very nice haha.
I figure, I could rebuild my Super60 for $375, for a 250hp capable turbo. Or spend less and get the 50 trim T04e, which is more the size I am looking for. Plus, for $110, I could go through 3 of them for less than to have my Garret rebuilt, because it says Garret on the side.
So after I got the new turbo, I installed, and modified everything to make this set up work. ReWelded the downpipe, reran the oil lines, and blocked the turbo coolant lines.
And whaamm!!! *That siht hauls. It over-boosts, so it's in limp mode making 10psi, but the dump pipe off the wastegate SCREAMS!!!
Next on the list as per motor is*
•Devil's Own Water/Meth Injection
•Eurodyne (Maestro Suite) 630cc MAF-less File.
•Bosche High-Flow fuel pumps, in-line and in-tank
•-6an Fuel Lines
•034 High-Flow Fuel Rail
•Siemens 630cc Injectors
•4.0 bar FPR
•World Electronics Boost Controller
I picked up my Brock B1's, shortly after which I realized I need AirRide before I paint the car. So my next step is more body work, and AirRide, which I'm waiting for the Mk4 XL kit to release.
After getting the Brocks on the car, I realized my rear beam is bent, and that all the body work I had done is being jeopardized by my current ride height and stance. So AirRide will be happening before anything get painted.
Next up is my rear seat delete, and false floor to hide my Air Management, Battery, Water/Meth Injection, and Amp.
This project has been 2 years in the making. I should have it wrapped up by spring
There was a lit more involved with this build. I've just touched the main points. I will be posting pics of other modifications I made, as I remember them
So stay tuned for the finishing touches. It'll be worth the wait.
^PM me if you want to get involved