Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Noisy lifters or bad timing (video)?

1. 11-02-2010 05:01 PM #1
      Hi, I just did my timing chains and head gasket. When I cranked it for the first time this noise greeted me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd_-zq0-rp8

Throughout the fix I checked my timing multiple times and it seemed fine. If anything, there was a tiny bit of slack in one of the chains, half way through a revolution. I had the head sent to a machine shop where they cleaned, planed and redid the valve guides. I haven't run the car for very long, could it be just some shot lifters? The noise seems to only be coming from one corner...

Or am I ****ed and the timing is off..?

Tia!

EDIT: I had a chat with some whizkids at work and we've ruled out poor timing. It starts, accelerates and idles fine. HOWEVER, we think that the rattling could be the chain for the cams not having enough tension. The tensioner is new, but I might have left some air in it after bleeding it. Either that or possibly some bum injectors? I'll take a closer listen tomorrow with tha screwdriver...

The car has been off the road for a year now, and Ive only had it running for about 3 minutes total. Is it conceivable that oil just hasn't fully circulated?
      Last edited by steezbox; 11-02-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 2004 330i ZHP, 1999 Monster 750
      11-03-2010 01:16 AM #2
      I just started mine up for the first time in 3 or 4 months yesterday. It had the exact same noise that sounded like it was coming from the back left side of the motor or so. It was really, really loud. After about 5-10 minutes it quieted down and went away completely. I'd say it's just that oil hasn't circulated yet.

Vehicles
      G37
      11-03-2010 11:43 AM #3
      sounds like a bum lifter

Vehicles
      2001 Gti VR6
      11-03-2010 03:39 PM #4
      Mine did that for a while after cold startup then it went away. I too have some slack in chain on top, but when both cams are lines up properly with the cam ruler, it gets tight. I taught it was because the oil didn't circulate fully yet.
      You can get a smooth, quiet, floaty car and fall asleep waiting to get from point A to B, or enjoy getting there.
      To be good at racing, you have to change your name to Sebastien.

5. 11-03-2010 03:53 PM #5
      I let it run for a while today (10 mins) and the noise didn't go away. I was getting some oil burn off (entirely possible because I just redid the top end) from the back left end of the car. It didn't really subside. Possible that its leaking from somewhere?

Also, I drove it down the street and it feels sluggish and stuttered, as if one cylinder isn't performing properly... I had this problem right after I seafoamed it. I took it off the road shortly afterwards to do the head anyway. Will do a compression test tomorrow...

Vehicles
      2001 vr jetta glx
      11-03-2010 07:48 PM #6
      you may have too run it alittle longer but it should go away assuming everything was done right anytime you have the head off a car and have work done to it it will sound like that after first start up the hydralic lifters have to pump back up my acura legend sounded worse than that for a good 20 min or so i thought it was going to blow up....lol but then just completely stopped and was quiet never had anymore troubles out of it just the head work and head gasket

11-04-2010 11:59 PM #7
      my problem is VERY similar to yours

Its my daily. i redid my head and i got all new gaskets and head bolts and when i put it back i triple checked my timing..now i got this... im also leaning to the bum lifters..I HATE IT i sound like a damn diesel motor man