Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Low Coolant Warning Light!

Vehicles
      02.5 24v GLI, 05.5 Jetta 2.5l
      11-03-2010 01:28 PM #1
      So for a few weeks now we have had the Coolant Warning light come on and off quite a bit...

I have checked the coolant level and it is always in the same spot.. just above the Min mark...
      there are no leaks we have not added any coolant and have never had an issue..

its a 05.5... the light will come on and then you shut the car off for a second start it up and you wont see it for weeks...
      I am starting to assume the sensor in the globe is bad or the wiring is messed up...
      has anyone experienced this? if so what have you dont to resolve this issue??

I found a post about this from 08 but there was no definitive answer if the problem was resolved or not...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07 CW GTI
      11-03-2010 01:31 PM #2
      Geez. Throw some water in it and see if the symptoms change. Fill it to the MAX mark when cold instead of living on the edge.
      --------------------
      John

I'd stop drinking beer, but I'm no quitter.

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      11-03-2010 01:37 PM #3
      your coolant is just right at the mark... i had my flush done about 6mo ago. they didn't fill it to max... when it gets cold = molecules contract

thats why it goes away if you turn your car off and on again when it warms a bit
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

Vehicles
      11-03-2010 01:41 PM #4
      wait what? LOL

My coolant levels are perfectly fine warm and cold...
      The level does not move enough for it to warrant a low coolant warning...

thats my issue is why am i getting a low coolant wanring when the levels are fine??
      I assume the sensor is bad in the Globe... or could this be another issue...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2001 Golf TDI, 1991 Jetta TD (sold)
      11-03-2010 01:42 PM #5
      You're probably right. Or more likely there is a bad connection somewhere.
      Once you go "clack", you never go back.

6. 11-03-2010 01:56 PM #6
      I had the same thing happen to my 06 GTI. I added distilled water to the globe to bring it to the MAX mark. Warning has not come back for 1 year.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      11-03-2010 02:25 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
      Geez. Throw some water in it and see if the symptoms change. Fill it to the MAX mark when cold instead of living on the edge.
      x2

If it's sitting at the MIN mark, that's the minimum amount of coolant needed in the tank...aka it's probably triggering the sensor every now and then. Add at least a few ounces of water and you probably won't be having any more problems

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      11-03-2010 02:38 PM #8
      why are you asking for advice when you believe you already have the answer?

it is a lot easier to add some water than replace a sensor.

have you not done a coolant flush ever with the car?
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

Vehicles
      11-03-2010 02:58 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHeggz View Post
      x2

If it's sitting at the MIN mark, that's the minimum amount of coolant needed in the tank...aka it's probably triggering the sensor every now and then. Add at least a few ounces of water and you probably won't be having any more problems
      Quote Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
      I had the same thing happen to my 06 GTI. I added distilled water to the globe to bring it to the MAX mark. Warning has not come back for 1 year.
      I guess I could add some water and see... just think its weird that it comes on when its not even below the min line...

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      why are you asking for advice when you believe you already have the answer?

it is a lot easier to add some water than replace a sensor.

have you not done a coolant flush ever with the car?
      I dont have the answer, this is why I asked if anyone else has had this happen and what have they done to fix it...
      I know its easier to add water. But being that the water level is just above the min mark I dont see why or how it would every so often trigger a Low Coolant Warning...
      this is why I am asking about the sensor??

Yes I have done a coolant flush... actually 2 of them...
      last one was done in Feb this year... and the light issue started back in August...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      11-03-2010 03:18 PM #10
      its a VW, the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month... and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

just be happy its not an MK4

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      11-03-2010 03:21 PM #11
      Again...if it's just at the MIN mark, it moves back and forth when you drive, triggering the sensor sometimes. It's really not that hard to understand....have you ever triggered your low gas indicator, then you turn the car back on and it's fine? Same concept

Your troubleshooting skills seem to leave a little to be desired good sir

Vehicles
      11-03-2010 03:30 PM #12
      its a VW, the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month... and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

slow down.. I drive a MK4?? whats wrong with that? LOL
      my 24V has never done me wrong....

Again...if it's just at the MIN mark, it moves back and forth when you drive, triggering the sensor sometimes. It's really not that hard to understand....have you ever triggered your low gas indicator, then you turn the car back on and it's fine? Same concept

Your troubleshooting skills seem to leave a little to be desired good sir
      I completly understand... I dont know why your being such a douche.. cant someone ask a simple question without finding the one a$$ on the tex...
      the Vortex has not and never will change....

simply asked if it could be or if anyone has heard of it being the sensor... or if this was a common issue.. in my MK4 my coolant is below the min mark and i never trigger a light..
      I completly understand the water level and shifting while driving... I am asking to see if there are know problmes asides from adding water...
      Thank you...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      11-03-2010 03:42 PM #13

HILARIOUS! This is my new sig

- Jeremy.
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

Vehicles
      11-03-2010 03:53 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by jtrujillo86 View Post
      HILARIOUS! This is my new sig

- Jeremy.
      Yeah I meant to tell him that was pretty good...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      11-03-2010 04:08 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jaso028 View Post
      I completly understand... I dont know why your being such a douche.. cant someone ask a simple question without finding the one a$$ on the tex...
      the Vortex has not and never will change....

simply asked if it could be or if anyone has heard of it being the sensor... or if this was a common issue.. in my MK4 my coolant is below the min mark and i never trigger a light..
      I completly understand the water level and shifting while driving... I am asking to see if there are know problmes asides from adding water...
      Thank you...
      I'm "being a douche" because you're not showing any sense of self sufficiency or common sense. The first LOGICAL step to troubleshooting a tank of liquid that's telling you the level is below what is needed, when you can SEE the level is at or around the minimum, is to add said liquid...no? It frustrates me to see so many retarded posts daily about people asking stupid questions without even trying to think about it themselves. But that's a whole 'nother rant and is a nice side effect of the information age and instant gratification running rampant.

I'm not mad at you, nor was I trying to be a douche, it just seemed a little funny that multiple ppl told you to increase the coolant level, but you continued to insist that you thought it was something else rather than trying the obvious solution first. Blu was right, sensitive sensors are not out of the ordinary. Don't make a mountain out a mole hill. If you're going to ASK for help, then TRY the reasonable solutions offered.

I love you.

Vehicles
      11-03-2010 04:49 PM #16
      I'm "being a douche" because you're not showing any sense of self sufficiency or common sense. The first LOGICAL step to troubleshooting a tank of liquid that's telling you the level is below what is needed, when you can SEE the level is at or around the minimum, is to add said liquid...no? It frustrates me to see so many retarded posts daily about people asking stupid questions without even trying to think about it themselves. But that's a whole 'nother rant and is a nice side effect of the information age and instant gratification running rampant.

I'm not mad at you, nor was I trying to be a douche, it just seemed a little funny that multiple ppl told you to increase the coolant level, but you continued to insist that you thought it was something else rather than trying the obvious solution first. Blu was right, sensitive sensors are not out of the ordinary. Don't make a mountain out a mole hill. If you're going to ASK for help, then TRY the reasonable solutions offered.

I love you.
      I apologize... exactly why I cannot be on vortex @ work.. I get pissed here and carry it over.. LOL

I am not a child nor am i new to Vortex... So we are good here.. I am more familar with MK3 and MK4... Mk5's are whole new ball game of weird ****!!!
      I never said I was not going to try adding water to the level... I was just asking if the sensor in the MKV was or is a know problem... I know VW's are very sensitive.. I am on my 6th one... 5 MK3's and a MK4... I am not new to the oddest of issues, like I said just wanted to know if the sensor was common issue...

I love you too (no homo)
      Last edited by jaso028; 11-03-2010 at 04:54 PM.
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

17. 11-03-2010 05:15 PM #17
      AFAIK these cars use conductive coolant level sensors

Distilled water isn't very conductive, antifreeze even less.

Is it possible that when you filled it back up you went a little high on the coolant to water ratio?

Add water to top it off, as the mix gets dirty is will be more conductive.