Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you add cruise control to the base Jetta?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 4-door UGM
      11-10-2010 11:25 AM #1
      My parents are considering a new Corolla. With the new cheaper Jetta out now, I recommended that they go check it out. They liked it, but said they can't live without cruise control. Is there any way to add this?

Vehicles
      3.2 TT
      11-10-2010 11:58 AM #2
      You can add it, and it is pretty cheap. Any good Audio Place should be able to take care of it. Heck, ask the dealer if they can install it, Im sure they have an audio/video guy.

Vehicles
      B5 S4 Avant
      11-10-2010 01:18 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
      You can add it, and it is pretty cheap. Any good Audio Place should be able to take care of it. Heck, ask the dealer if they can install it, Im sure they have an audio/video guy.
      x2. i used to work for a shop that had a contract with dealerships when they sold new vehicles and the customer requested remote starts, cruise control, power windows, even a moonroof, we would pick the vehicle up install whatever was requested, then return it to the dealer. cruise control was relatively cheap.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 4-door UGM
      11-10-2010 02:14 PM #4
      Is is OE or aftermarket?

Vehicles
      Candy White '10 GTI 6M
      11-10-2010 04:27 PM #5
      Holy crap the jetta doesn't have cruise control???
      EVE's Build Thread • APR Stage II / BSH RACE / B&B 3" / DG S6 / B&G RS2 / MOTUL / VMR

facebook twitter wheelflip • PM me for VAGCOM in NoVA

Vehicles
      Mr2 and 951
      11-10-2010 04:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by wh4l3salad View Post
      Holy crap the jetta doesn't have cruise control???
      the 2.0s dont
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong when cockerpunk is representing the voice of reason. Holy ****.

Vehicles
      B5 S4 Avant
      11-10-2010 05:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by jeffm00 View Post
      Is is OE or aftermarket?
      the brand, which i now forget, we installed was aftermarket but looked factory and was covered under warranty. ask your dealer if they do anything like that, if not like Tucci said, call around to audio shops.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      11-10-2010 08:56 PM #8
      Its not going to be as easy as you think it will be with Drive By Wire setup.

9. 11-10-2010 11:20 PM #9
      AFAIK, the OEM cruise control stalk is about $30-$40 (for Golf MK6, I assume Jetta uses the same one). It is an easy replacement job + vag-com

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 4-door UGM
      11-10-2010 11:30 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by biby View Post
      AFAIK, the OEM cruise control stalk is about $30-$40 (for Golf MK6, I assume Jetta uses the same one). It is an easy replacement job + vag-com
      So it's just the turn signal stalk from the jetta se/sel + vagcom? Doesn't seem bad.

Vehicles
      72 Beetle, 13 GLI, 12 Tiguan
      11-10-2010 11:49 PM #11
      Adding just the stalk seems too easy to be true - I'd definitely go talk to the Parts/Svc department at VW before taking the plunge.

12. 11-11-2010 01:49 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by tekameleon View Post
      Adding just the stalk seems too easy to be true - I'd definitely go talk to the Parts/Svc department at VW before taking the plunge.
      At least it is the case for addition of cruise control to a Golf (some in the rest of world are not delivered with cruise control). In Golf Mk6's case there are two modules to be re-coded, steering wheel and engine. Unless such coding does not exist on the 2.slow engine module, I would see the same thing working on the Jetta.

13. 11-11-2010 06:36 AM #13
      I would highly encourage your Parents to buy the Jetta over the Corolla,its a far superior car,as you know.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      11-11-2010 09:34 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by biby View Post
      At least it is the case for addition of cruise control to a Golf (some in the rest of world are not delivered with cruise control). In Golf Mk6's case there are two modules to be re-coded, steering wheel and engine. Unless such coding does not exist on the 2.slow engine module, I would see the same thing working on the Jetta.
      In addition, in EU mk5 Golfs w/o CC, you would have to run a wire from the steering wheel control module and engine control module.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      11-11-2010 09:45 AM #15
      This is probably not as easy as vagcom coding a car. Mk6 Golf/GTI and Mk6 Jetta 2.0 do not have the same electrical systems.

Mk6 Golf/GTI = high system
      Mk6 Jetta = low system(alot less wiring and control modules)

Vehicles
      2004 MKIV Jetta GLS, 2009 Routan Comfortline 4.0L w/ RSE, 2011 Jetta VI Trendline+
      05-25-2011 04:09 PM #16
      I know this thread is now a few months old, but has anyone actually added cruise control to the New Jetta IV? If so could someone post instructions and/or pictures or a full DIY?

Vehicles
      2004 MKIV Jetta GLS, 2009 Routan Comfortline 4.0L w/ RSE, 2011 Jetta VI Trendline+
      05-26-2011 10:32 AM #17
      Up here in the Canadian North The base model is called the Trendline. (2.0)
      One model up is the Trendline+ it adds...
      60/40 split folding rear seat
      6-way manual front seats
      Air conditioning
      Keyless entry
      That is all I want, except cruise...

I would have no problem adding it myself, but I would like to know what would be involved. Obviously it would mean changing the stalk, probably adding some missing wires to a harness somewhere etc... What else? and what would need to be done to the ECU? (via Vag com?)

A complete DIY would be great. If someone has done this, I'd love to hear from you.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI & 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      05-26-2011 11:36 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by tekameleon View Post

I'd check with the parts people, but it really shouldn't require anything other than the switch and reprogramming. It's so simple for drive by wire cars that idk why VW didn't just include it on the S models. Probably just to make the SE cars more attractive.

Vehicles
      05-30-2011 03:18 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by mediumbluemetalic View Post
      I'd check with the parts people, but it really shouldn't require anything other than the switch and reprogramming. It's so simple for drive by wire cars that idk why VW didn't just include it on the S models. Probably just to make the SE cars more attractive.
      I have checked with the dealer, and the parts guys can get me the switch (arm) and says it looks like all the other parts are the same, but I should check with the service guys. The service guys looked into it, and they tell me a bunch of modules need to be changed out, and could end up costing lots-o-money. I figure they just don't know how to re-program/re-wire what needs to be done, and aren't interested.

I then checked with the only other VW dealer in town, and their service department spent some time looking into it, and told me straight up that they can't find any information on how it could be done.

I would love to hear from someone who has done it. I'm assuming all that it would need (besides the new arm) is a re-program of the steering wheel control module and/or engine control module via VAG COM or VCDS (or dealer software) and possibly a rewire between the new arm and the steering wheel control module. As it is a 2.0, I would think it would be a fairly straight forward process.

I do not have VAG COM or VCDS, but would consider buying it if this makes it work, as I've read it can also enable window roll-up with lock and window roll-down with unlock from the remote, much like the KWS-100 that I have used on my MK4.

Vehicles
      06-08-2011 11:32 AM #20
      [QUOTE=JohnIBarr01;71754653]GAH. VI ≠ IV. Stupid n00bs.

My bad. My old Jetta is a MK IV, my new one is a MK VI, and I don't speak Roman

and by KWS100 I meant the KVW100 Window Roll Up/Down Flash Load Module available from ECS Tuning (http://www.ecstuning.com) or in Canada from ziggi tuning (http://ziggituning.com)
      I have this on my old MK IV, and would love to have this function on my new MK VI
      For those who do not know what the KVW100 does, when you press lock on the remote, the doors lock and all the windows (and sunroof if equipped) close. Holding unlock opens the windows.

... but back on topic...

Has anybody added or tried to add cruise to a base Jetta VI yet ?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      06-08-2011 12:18 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by PaulAP View Post
      For those who do not know what the KVW100 does, when you press lock on the remote, the doors lock and all the windows (and sunroof if equipped) close. Holding unlock opens the windows.
      In mk5 you do not need any KVW100 for that, just VCDS to recode the comfort module. I bet Euro mk6 Jetta has the same coding options. The question is if they are documented well enough to find them.

For Cruise Control: I can double check what's required, but I assume the steering wheel control module, stalk, wiring and coding of the ECU. You will be better off comparing the VCDS scans from mk6 Jettas with and without CC.

Vehicles
      06-08-2011 01:45 PM #22
      maloosheck;

If you could double check that would be greatly appreciated...
      and part numbers for the stalk (arm) and the steering wheel control module (if needed).
      Also if wires need to be added/moved, from where to where (pin/wire color), and of course what settings to be changed with VAG COM or VCDS.

I'd love to put together a DIY (if there is not already one) for this mod, as I have found many DIY's here very helpful/useful when I made my numerous mods to my MK IV Jetta GLS.

...and if I can get enough information to do this, anyone who helped would get a thanks in the DIY

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      02-13-2012 04:34 PM #23
      Would a stalk from a mk5 jetta work?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-19-2012 12:00 PM #24
      Looks like this is going nowhere...

I looked up all the info I could and here is what I've got.

On the hardware end you would have to swap the turn signal part of the cluster (maybe possible) or just swap it for the complete switch assembly with the correct leaver. Also need to add 5 wires to the harness for the turner leaver. On my car it currently has 7 of the 12 wires needed per ELSA. The problem is that 4 of those wires go to the vehicle system control module (VSCM) which is the 73 pin plug near the inside fuse panel. However those 5 wires are mapped for the highline (73b) version of the module. And the fifth wire goes to the ECM (under the hood). The other problem is that I think my car (Jetta S) has the lowline VSCM (73a). I do not know how to verify which I have tho. If the 4 wires are able to be plugged into the lowline VSCM the mapping isn't the same (pins 44,45,46,47) because pin 44 on 73a (the lowline) is supposedly mapped to the "Ignition Starter Switch Supply (15) Input Signal" and pin 45 on 73a is supposedly mapped to the "Parking Lamp Switch Input Signal" and the other pis (46,47) are not assigned. Perhaps it is still possible to install it but the pins are mapped differently? I have the ELSA diagrams if anyone cares to give some input or wants to see the diagrams just let me know. This may not be a lost cause.

On a side note:
      Not sure if this is normal but when I saw peoples pics of their ABS modules from the ESP install threads, I noticed that mine, a presumebly lower lever ABS since I have a Jetta S, had more wires in the ABS than that of someone who had a higher level car SE/TDI. Any thoughts?

25. 06-03-2012 10:16 PM #25
      Check out www.rostra.com for aftermarket cruise. Ties into harness behind factory radio. Radio doctor quoted me 489.00 installed.

26. 02-13-2013 02:23 PM #26
      BUMP

I could sure use this info too. My FIL just bought a Jetta 2.0 (dont know trim level yet) on the promise that cruise can be added at a later time by the dealer. Now that he is ready to add it, the dealer says this can't be done.

Help me prove them wrong!

Found some usefull info:

Cruise Control Retrofitting (6R)

Contents

1 Requirements
      1.1 Central Electronics Control Module
      2 Installation & Wiring
      3 Configuration

Requirements
      Central Electronics Control Module

There are 5 Types of Body Control Modules (BCM/J519), only 3 of them support Cruise Control. The installed Type can easily be determined by the Control Module Part Number. Higher equipped Types always include the Options from the lower equipped ones.

Basis+
      Part Numbers: ***-937-084-***
      Medium+
      Part Numbers: ***-937-085-***
      Supported Features: Central Locking, Anti-Theft-System, Outside Mirror Heating, Seat Heating
      Medium++
      Part Numbers: ***-937-086-***
      Supported Features: Remote Control
      High+
      Part Numbers: ***-937-087-***
      Supported Features: Cruise Control System (CCS), Anti-Theft-System LIN-Databus (for Alarm Horn)
      TBD
      Part Numbers: ***-937-088-***
      Supported Features:
      TBD
      Part Numbers: ***-937-089-***

Installation & Wiring

Install proper Cruise Control Switch/Lever
      Add the Wiring from Cruise Control Switch/Lever to Central Electronics Control Module (J519)
      Add the Wiring from Cruise Control Switch/Lever to Fuse Box C

Additional Information can be found in the Repair Manuals, the Wiring Diagrams, the Parts Catalog and/or the Instructions included in the Retrofitting Kit.

Configuration

The following Activations are necessary to ensure that the newly fitted parts are properly recognized and are ready to use.

Update the Central Electronics Control Module (J519 / #09) Coding.
      Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be used by the Long Coding Assistant once you access the Function using VCDS.
      Update the Engine Control Module (J623 / #01) Coding.
      Make sure that the Engine is NOT running, otherwise the new Coding will be rejected. Models equipped with Start/Stop System do have a Shutoff Switch/Button which will deactivate the Start/Stop Function.
      Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be used by the Long Coding Assistant once you access the Function using VCDS.

Now I just need to scan his car and find out if his ccm is part number ...87 or higher. If it's not then i'm going to tell him it's not worth doing. If he has the right ccm then i'll buy a cruise stalk and program the cruise setting with vagcom, easy as that.
      Last edited by maxxam; 02-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.

27. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      02-13-2013 02:42 PM #27
      OP I added factory cruise to my base Jetta, I can provide you with part numbers and prices if you would like
      -Adam-U of M Tigers Wings Lions Seattle Supersonics
      1-800-277-2122 ext: 4788 or 757-687-3465
      Instagram: ADAM_MEYERS or Email Me: adam.meyers@checkeredflag.com

28. 02-13-2013 02:47 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam@CheckeredFlagVW View Post
      OP I added factory cruise to my base Jetta, I can provide you with part numbers and prices if you would like
      Can you provide me with part numbers and pricing too?

29. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      02-13-2013 03:00 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by maxxam View Post
      Can you provide me with part numbers and pricing too?
      pm'd

Vehicles
      2013 JETTA SE/1999 MAZDA MIATA/2001 GMC SIERRA Z71/1996 Z24/1967 HONDA 305 SCRAMBLER/1973 CHECKMATE
      02-13-2013 04:03 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by nradzinski View Post
      Check out www.rostra.com for aftermarket cruise. Ties into harness behind factory radio. Radio doctor quoted me 489.00 installed.
      Here:

https://dl.boxcloud.com/bc/1/dc02384...ddcbc01a465e2/

Issome more info.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      02-13-2013 04:36 PM #31
      I have a thread on this I retrofit it to my car I can also make you a harness if you need one

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch VCDS in CT¡!¡!

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      02-13-2013 04:37 PM #32
      Please done use hack job aftermarket ****. OEM all the way

33. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      02-13-2013 04:38 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Please done use hack job aftermarket ****. OEM all the way

this.

34. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 vw jetta
      05-02-2014 09:25 AM #34
      So has anyone successfully retrofitted the OEM cruise control to their jetta? I have a 2011 Jetta S and I'm looking to do this myself. Looks like some of you may have already done this, if its worked, awesome, just throw me some part numbers so I can price it all out. Going on a road trip this summer, 1300+ miles back up to NY, not looking to do it again without cruise control lol

Vehicles
      '14 GLI DSG, APR Stage1, AWE C|C|B, AWE DP w/Track CBE, Deep Black Pearl Metallic
      05-02-2014 09:29 AM #35
      Holy Oldass Thread WOW And to the OP The Corolla is still a piece of Sh!t..
      Last edited by LVDubn; 05-02-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast