Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: retro-fitting Heated Corrado seats into the 81

Palatine, IL. But I'll NEVER call Chicagoland home.
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      11-12-2010 08:42 AM #1
      I've had the Corrado seats in the 81 for years now and always had the intention of hooking up the heaters. Then I saw this in the classifieds.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Seat-Mechanism

A little high on the price but when it falls into your lap you just have to buy it (plus a new switch alone list for about $150 )

Turns out that it is from a 92 cabby and I have a 92 with heated seats and the Bentley for that car that I could use to help identify wires.

The wiring sockets on the corrado seats didn't match the plug from the Cabby wiring, But the seat wires colors were the same as my 92's seats wires, and by using the wiring diagram and their position in the socket I was able to verify that they were the same wires (without having to tear open the seats to trace out the wires).

So last night I spent crimping and soldering two 6 pin plugs and two 6 pin sockets from Radio Shack.

Today I should have it all hook up and have a warm arse.

So the bottom line is that if you already have heated seats in your car, the wire color code for any other heated VW seat that will fit in these cars should be the same and you would just have to make up a new connector (really only need 4 pins)

If anyone wants some pics let me know in the next hour or two and I can take some.

Steve

PS: one final note the wiring diagram in the Bentley for the 92 cabby heated seat does have an error two of the power leads for the switch that it shows are jumpered together are actually separate which makes sense since one is for the lighting and should be connected to the dash light circuit and the other is for control and should be powered from a circuit that is only hot with the engine on.
      Last edited by sehaare; 11-12-2010 at 08:46 AM.
      Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      11-12-2010 03:54 PM #2
      So you are installing "BUN Warmers"

Saw this site a few weeks ago:

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heated...at2/index.html
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      11-12-2010 04:08 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by sehaare View Post
      The wiring sockets on the corrado seats didn't match the plug from the Cabby wiring, But the seat wires colors were the same as my 92's seats wires, and by using the wiring diagram and their position in the socket I was able to verify that they were the same wires (without having to tear open the seats to trace out the wires).
      Someone emailed me several weeks ago trying to find a Cabby switch to replace his broken/missing one; in the interim, he found a Corrado switch and asked me if it would work. I told him it probably would, but that it would most likely not be plug-and-play. Haven't heard back, so I don't know what he ended up doing. I'm rather curious now if a 'rado switch will work since the wiring is confirmed as being the same.

Anyway, enjoy your newly toasted buns.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to the VW Cabriolets
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      11-25-2010 08:23 PM #4
      in case anyone was following this, I haven't got the heat out of the seats that I expected. So I've got some troubleshooting to do. unfortunately its turned cold now so it might be a while. I'll post what I find out

Steve

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet, 85 Cabriolet, 90 JettaGL
      11-26-2010 10:06 AM #5
      Check the voltage drops along the wiring and check your grounds before Brian does!

Vehicles
      11-26-2010 10:27 AM #6
      Everything about the set up is used and untested. So I could have heating elements that are open, the corrado thermisters might be mismatched for the cabby controls. The controls might not work. ETC. So I have a lot to check out and unfortunately I've got to pull the seats to get at the connectors. I think that I'm going to build a test connector jumper that I can insert between the plug and socket and be able to take some test readings with the seat in place and turned on.

But that will be a while since I'm pretty burned out right now have just done 2 clutches, front brakes, dash LEDs, engine mounts, troubleshooting the darn water temp gauge (x3), fixed the stripped out bolt holes for the back up light switch, and then ball joint, and tie rods on the 98 SUV.

Worse case scenario I'll bypass all of the controls and just use the on/off position of the seat temperature switch to manually switch 12 Volts to the heating elements and control the temp that way.

Steve

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet, 85 Cabriolet, 90 JettaGL
      11-26-2010 12:59 PM #7
      have just done 2 clutches, front brakes, dash LEDs, engine mounts, troubleshooting the darn water temp gauge (x3), fixed the stripped out bolt holes for the back up light switch, and then ball joint, and tie rods on the 98 SUV.
      So what did you do the rest of the weekend?

Vehicles
      '08 GTI '93 Cabriolet '89 Jetta
      11-27-2010 12:48 PM #8
      Seeing this makes me want to put bun burners back in. I can't figure out why my wife's car has a switch and is wired for them but there are no heating elements in the seats.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Collectors Editions Cabriolet
      02-01-2011 09:46 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86 View Post
      Someone emailed me several weeks ago trying to find a Cabby switch to replace his broken/missing one; in the interim, he found a Corrado switch and asked me if it would work. I told him it probably would, but that it would most likely not be plug-and-play. Haven't heard back, so I don't know what he ended up doing. I'm rather curious now if a 'rado switch will work since the wiring is confirmed as being the same.

Anyway, enjoy your newly toasted buns.
      Just to let you know the switch fit perfectly in my 93 Cabby Collector's Edition.

Vehicles
      02-01-2011 10:45 AM #10
      That's good to know.

thanks for posting the update.

Steve

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      02-01-2011 10:55 AM #11
      Still anxious to see you get this sorted, Steve. FYI you should be able to buy "pin repair kits" and sockets from the dealer to keep the factory connectors. Not sure if it would've saved you money, or not, but you probably only would've had to do one end, then. The "pin repair kits" usually consist of a single replacement metal pin, un-crimped, and a new grommet to seal it in the socket (if applicable) to replace pins when the wires break off. They can come in quite handy when re-wiring a car to maintain that factory fit and finish.

Vehicles
      02-01-2011 01:48 PM #12
      The sockets were a different shape. If I could have got a "pin repair kit" and the right socket from the dealer that would have saved me some work.

Right now the is on the back burner. I've got a blizzard to get through and then replace the struts in the 92. I figure that I'll get the heated seat working just about time for the summer .

I'll post when I get them working. And I WILL get them working.

Steve

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      02-02-2011 11:50 AM #13
      The sockets were a different shape. If I could have got a "pin repair kit" and the right socket from the dealer that would have saved me some work.

Right now the is on the back burner. I've got a blizzard to get through and then replace the struts in the 92. I figure that I'll get the heated seat working just about time for the summer .

I'll post when I get them working. And I WILL get them working.

Steve
      Poo! You are out there in the 2+ feet of snow area! Don't miss that too much after last year. Had about 3/8" of ice on everything this morning at my place in PA.

Vehicles
      03-12-2011 07:14 PM #14
      Success

I found a loose connector. The Passenger seat works 100% the Driver seat works but due to a faulty thermistor, it keeps heating until I turn it off manually.

My troubleshooting revealed somethings that might be helpful for somebody trying this later.

First on both the Corrado seats, that I put in the 81, and the original heated seats in the 92, there are just six wires and they perform the same functions on each.

Two wires go to the back heating pad, Two wires go to the Bottom heating pad and the remaining two go to a thermistor in the bottom that changes it's resistance as the seats heat and tells the control circuit when to shut off the heat.

If the thermistor fails open then the seat continues to heat until you shut it off.

The voltage applied to the heating pads is the full 12 Volts and the two pads are wired in series through the connector (the brown/Black wire from the back is connected to the brown black wire from the bottom - I just spliced the two together).

So if you have heated seats but don't have the controls for them you could just wire 12 volts through a manual switch and turn them on and off manually when they are warm enough.

These are probably quite a bit of electrical load so I relayed them and used a signal from the load reduction relay to apply 12V to the controls. (IE no power unless the key is in run this also removes power when cranking the starter).

One other point, the wiring diagram in the Bentley for the 92 is wrong. The power to the light in the switch is not connected to the other 12 V wire to the switch as shown and instead the light should be wired to your instrument light circuit.

My vertical smile is now warm and smiling
      Last edited by sehaare; 03-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Vehicles
      Rabbit Convertible
      03-12-2011 07:37 PM #15
      Very nice!

I've got an A1 heated seat switch (according to ETKA), but interestingly enough it only has one dial controller, not the dual controls I've seen on others.

I'd love to see some pics and info. I'd like to have heat someday, but not high on the priority list at the moment...
      aka PDX Cabby

You're post makes me wanna because we already talked about this many years ago.

Vehicles
      03-12-2011 09:33 PM #16
      Here is the 92 Cabby Wiring Diagram Corrected for the two 12V sources for the Switch (original drawing showed them from same source).

For the Relay I used a fused 12 V from directly from the battery and used the power to the Rear defroster as a trigger (it comes from the Load reduction relay so it will only be there in "Run" and not while Cranking the starter). I also added some boxes to show where everything is located.

If you don't have the fancy controller, all you have to do is put a switched 12 to the BK/W wire going to the seat, Splice the two BR/BK wires in the seat, and hook up a ground to the Brown Wire at the seat. Then any time you turn your switch on the seats would heat until you turned the switch off. I would still use a relay so that you couldn't walk away with the power still to the seats.

Steve
      Last edited by sehaare; 03-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Vehicles
      03-12-2011 09:45 PM #17
      Here is the wiring from the link in my first post with arrows added to point out what is what.

Vehicles
      02-16-2013 10:36 AM #18
      Someone contacted me with a few questions, as I was looking through the old files that I used when I was documenting what I did I found a spreadsheet that I used while troubleshooting that listed the function of each wire and where I could test it if need be. I don't think that you can post a spread sheet so I enlarged it and turned it into two pictures. So here it is, hope it helps someone by using it with the drawing posted above (the first column is where the wire is connectd).

Steve

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 vw cabriolet automatic with a/c
      02-16-2013 09:37 PM #19
      Another fantastic post and DIY! Thanks Steve, I've bookmarked it along with the piles of others that I hope to get to at some point in my life with this car. For now, I'm thankful I live in Southern California where I can just stick my hands under my ass for a few seconds when I first crank the car and then I'm good to go