Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0341 1998 Jetta

1. 11-13-2010 08:37 PM #1
      Hi,
      A relative recently purchased a 1998 Jetta K2 with the 2.0. The manual trans was blown, so we did not drive it initially. After replacing the trans, we noted the P0341 code. Also noticed the timing belt looked very old so decided to replace it. Did so today and checked all marks. I am about 99.9% certain all timing marks are correct, yet it still throws the light. It does idle smoothly and starts very easily. At one point I was able to clear the code, and shortly after it turned on again. Are there any diagnostics I can do with the VAG-COM to rule anything in or out? One thing I did notice was at 850 idle, the VAG-COM said the timing was at 12BTDC Seems too advanced? I timed the intermediate shaft based on a mark I made relative to the crank when it was at TDC, so if it was wrong before it still is. Seemed the rotor was pointing to the mark on the distributor though. Appreciate any and all ideas. Below is the VAG-COM printout

Ray

1 Fault Found:
      5 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
      P0341 - 35-00 - -

Readiness: 0110 0101

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      11-13-2010 09:41 PM #2
      If this showed up after working on the belt I would assume the 0.1% you are unsure about comes into play.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...5/P0341/000833

3. 11-13-2010 10:28 PM #3
      The error code was flagged prior to changing the belt as well.

4. Member
      11-14-2010 10:17 AM #4
      Your timing is most likely off, even the best have done it on this car. The car will still run with this code even if you totally disconnect the cam sensor so no problem there. The timing marks can be tuff on this one because you can’t use the crank pulley mark. You have to line the crank up at the flywheel end not the front pulley!!!! I could type more but this is a link to a already typed past post that just about covers all you need to know. Read this post and you should understand this motor and its common problems. I am the guy with the unconventional way of holding the crank shaft to tighten the bolt. Once its set right it may still get the code and then it needs a distributer but thats after you do right. I have seen may techs change the distributer for nothing. Need more e-mail me vwtech@37.com Good Luck.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...0#post67204270

5. 11-14-2010 07:27 PM #5
      When you say timing are you talking valve timing or ignition timing? I used the 0 on the flywheel, the OT on the cam, and the intermediate shaft lined up using the marks I made before taking the belt off. All marks were right on. I was wondering whether the VAG-COM could show me where the crank TDC is seen relative to where the distributor is firing? I assume the VAG-COM seeing 12BTDC at 850 is incorrect? Did not put a timing light on it yet.
      Thanks
      Ray

6. Member
      11-16-2010 09:51 AM #6
      By timing off I mean the belt. You are not allowed to set ignition timing like the old days on this motor. The ECM uses the signal from the engine speed sensor (crank sensor) to throw spark. It compares the engine speed sensor to the camshaft sensor to know TDC of #1 piston to control the fuel injection in multi port injection mode. When comparing the two if 1 is off at all the ECM knows it and defaults from multi port to sequential injection and the car still runs without multi port injection. If you used the “O” on the crank and the “OT” on the cam that’s right. “Intermediate shaft lined up using the marks I made before taking the belt off” You have to make sure intermediate shaft is right! All this shaft does is turn the distributor rotor and oil pump. Get your crank mark and cam mark lined up again and then check the intermediate shaft by pulling the distributor cap off. There is a small notch on the dist where the rotor points to #1 cyl. (If your dist has the plastic cover under the rotor protecting the hall sensor (cam sensor) this will also have a notch to allow you to see the notch in the dist casing.) With the crank & cam marks on the dist rotor must line up with this notch! This is the intermediate shaft timing mark. If this is lined up also then you need a dist. I have changed timing belts before on this motor had no cam code at start of job and had the cam code after the job. Twice in my life for no damn reason that I could find (because I rechecked the timing 3 or 4 times!) I had to replace the dist for this code after the job. You have to 100% know all 3 marks are good then if the code is there replace the dist. Good Luck

7. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      NA
      11-16-2010 01:54 PM #7
      ::::: WARNING EMERGENCY FORUM ACTION MESSAGE:::::

THIS POST VACATED BY JACK TO PROTECT CONTENT FROM FALLING INTO THE GAPING HOLE OF THE VORTEX!

THIS SOLAR SYSTEM IS IN DANGER OF A BLACK-HOLE!
      YOU TO CAN ESCAPE!
      I CAN BE FOUND VIA THIS DHD STAR-GATE ADDRESS......
      http://forums.ross-tech.com/member.p...European_Parts
      Last edited by vwemporium; 07-31-2014 at 04:53 PM.

8. 11-20-2010 09:18 PM #8
      Well, I checked again today and the rotor on the distributor lined up perfectly with the notch on the side with 0 lined up on the crank. We are planning to swap the distributor with a known good one. Guess I was hoping I might be able to monitor the G40 output to see if it was simply not there at all, was intermittent, or off using the VAG COM graphed against the crank sensor. Thanks for all of your input.

Ray

9. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      NA
      11-20-2010 10:11 PM #9
      Make sure its Bosch

10. Member
      11-22-2010 09:41 AM #10
      Let us know the end result. Please.
      And good luck

Vehicles
      02 Gti 1.8t, 97 Jetta TDI,
      12-14-2010 04:00 PM #11
      I got that code when i was replacing my distributor and forgot to plug the sensor around the distributor back in.