VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why do I want a BMW 318ti?

25K views 116 replies 63 participants last post by  nm+ 
#1 ·
I've got an itch to find a really clean BMW 318ti and I don't know why. I've driven plenty of E36 318's and except for feeling smooth they are endlessly gutless and buzzy. There's something about a cheap BMW without all the doodads that appeals to me a I suppose.....but enough to sell an E24 635CSi for one?

Someone snap me out of this....

#101 ·
I did manage to find a cleanish Calyso Red for a fair asking price; have been trying to reach the owner.

There was a 96 M Sport locally that keeps NOT selling on ebay because the reserve is too high. I was the last high bidder and didn't meet the reserve (each time the car goes for less). I get the guy on the phone and all he says is the reserve price; doesn't actually answer any questions; just keeps saying the price and talking about fees.

I sold the 635 by the way to a very nice guy. He got a great deal on the car and I really dropped my pants on the price, but I am happy. How did he do that? By not discussing price, price, price.

I don't NEED a 318Ti. If I find one I prefer it to be CLEAN, stock or OEM +, and have a high level of equipment (relatively). The proceeds from the 635 can go to far more useful things. With winter fast approaching and one project car in the works I am not desperate. If the right car pops up, sure I'll go for it.

Believe me, it's no penalty to drive a loaded E39 everyday, even with it's laggard automatic.

#103 ·
How many miles? I wouldn't want a 1995; aren't those OBD-I and M42 engines? Not sure on the OBD-I of that but they are the older 1.8's; I'd rather have the 1996+ 1.9 just because I don't like bastard one year engine/car combos.

$3900 sounds steep to me for that car personally. Not insane, but steep.

#105 ·
PM me; I'll give you the info for the 1996 M Sport at the Jersey Shore. 2 Owner. Super clean. No repaint. Asking $3800. I wasn't willing to spend that much. But I'd rather have a clean and original 1996 than a repainted 1995 for the same money.

#106 · (Edited)
If you are serious about wanting one. I just found a 135i that I am interested in. We should talk.

Quick specs:
1998 Hellrot, 5MT and 88k miles
16" wheels
Red Milli-point cloth (very rare) seat with black leather bolsters
Interior is Anthrazite (black)
California Roof
KN drop in filter
Bosal exaust from headers back
Exterior is about a 7.5/10
Interior is 9/10

Known issues: SRS light is on. I need a new drivers side seat belt latch. No pictures since I am actually on an airplane now. But I can send some to you. Letmeknow.

#110 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.