VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why do I want a BMW 318ti?

25K views 116 replies 63 participants last post by  nm+ 
#1 ·
I've got an itch to find a really clean BMW 318ti and I don't know why. I've driven plenty of E36 318's and except for feeling smooth they are endlessly gutless and buzzy. There's something about a cheap BMW without all the doodads that appeals to me a I suppose.....but enough to sell an E24 635CSi for one?

Someone snap me out of this....

#2 ·
I had one briefly and they're great cars. Slow yes, but they do quite well on the highway. The one thing that makes that car is the sport package. It adds an M3-esque bodykit, sportier springs, and a wickedly cool interior. Mine had black seats with red cloth inserts. I say do it.

#4 ·
Obscure + RWD + Hatchback + E36 = Full TCL approval

I think the things are pretty ugly, but with the M-Technik front bumper and an S52, I wouldn't hate one. I knew a guy with one similar to what I'm describing (his also being turboed) and I found it interesting.

#5 ·
I bought the 635CSi because as much as I love my wagon, with an automatic and some beef it's a cruiser that can turn well; but it lacks any real gusto. I do enjoy every comfortable and luxurious feature of it.

The 635CSi has it's charms; it makes really wicked, throaty, raw sounds. I mean it sounds fantastic. It's got some balls in EVERY gear, and mixing throttle, LSD, and a big dose of oppo is fun. But it's an old car and, despite being a tight example, just feels......old. But it's not really practical. It's doable...but its never chosen on days when I need to run errands.

So a 318Ti could be, nearly, as practical as my 528 is while still providing a dose of rev happy fun with a stick that I'd miss from the 635. I'd be able to replace two cars with one and be happy with it????

Did any Ti's come with heated seats?

#6 ·
Possibly the dumbest question I've asked on TCL...

...what's an easy swap into these cars? Even a "cooking" 2.5 or 2.8 would be a riot. What's involved?

#21 ·
Don't quote me on this, but a swap shouldnt be difficult. I know 6 cylinder E36 to 6 cylinder E36 swaps will basically bolt right up (i.e. M50 - S50), with only a few small miscellaneous pieces you'll need. I'm not sure about 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder swaps though - Perhaps someone can elaborate on this one. If you're serious about it, theres a ton of info on bimmerforums.com - lots of swapped 318's over there.

Good luck.

#13 ·
I've driven them. It's no more practical than a 635, feels every bit as old, and is still gutless-ish. I like the comfort, quiet, and luxuries of my E39. A properly clean and loaded E36 should be close, while still providing some fun.

I've got a 92 Black and Tan Miata for lightweight fun :)

#19 ·
bmw are amazing cars i have a 2003 e46 325i with 50k miles
but the 318 are the bear minimum of BMW the quality is far from the same as the 325i which is the also one of the slower 3 series cars.

BMW makes cars with more cylinders but can have good gas mileage because they have small cylinders and the 318 i believe is a 4 cylinder, plus the suspension feels like that of a honda not bmw you dont have the same heavy high quality feeling as a true bmw

#20 ·
My boss has one. For sale too, I believe.
It's a California Edition or some such. Big folding sunroof.
Sticky with the weighted shifter from an E36 M3.
He put leather into it. It's a nice little car.
I've driven it extensively. It isn't really a BMW, but it's no Honda.
It is fun to drive, if buzzy but it's certainly not anemic.

#30 ·
I've got an itch to find a really clean BMW 318ti and I don't know why. I've driven plenty of E36 318's and except for feeling smooth they are endlessly gutless and buzzy. There's something about a cheap BMW without all the doodads that appeals to me a I suppose..
Hey, if I could have afforded a new car in '97-'98, I would have been all over the 318ti. I have a lot of nostalgia for them; go for it!

...but enough to sell an E24 635CSi for one?
...Um, WHAT?! I retract everything I just wrote.

Don't sell the 6 for this, I beg you. Please.

#39 ·
My Brother has one that he has rebuilt from an accident damaged salvage car for Road Rallying.

Red BMW Compact Rally Car by retromotoring, on Flickr

He loves the handling but the engine isn't torquey enough, so he's looking at swapping something else into it over the Winter. He can't run a 6-cyl due to the class regulations (and he reckons a 6 will upset the balance of the handling) so he's looking at a Volvo engine currently.

It can still do this though:

Jonathan Walsh - Red BMW Compact - Car 20 - Knutsford Jubilee Autosolo 2010 by retromotoring, on Flickr

Great fun :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.