Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 146

    Thread: 8v weber downdraft build

    1. Member Svedka's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Gig-Harbor WA,
      Posts
      1,923
      Vehicles
      GLI X-Flow, ITB MK2, 8vTcoupe
      12-23-2010 11:21 AM #51
      Best intake gasket I ever used

      http://www.evolutiontuning.com/evohe...ds18SOHC8V.htm


      The newsouth explanation of how power gaskets work.

      PowerGasket Plus™ gives you up to 5% more power from your engine by reducing the temperature of the incoming air to your engine. This gives you cooler, denser air for more horsepower and performance from your engine.

      The PowerGasket Plus™ is made from a purpose-built high performance composite material. It conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.

      Cooler air, denser air, means more oxygen. Your engine sensors register these changes and will inject more fuel to give you more power. Cooler air also reduces detonation, so you can turn up the boost or advance your engine timing for even more performance gains.

    2. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-23-2010 03:42 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Svedka View Post
      You should really get a oil catch can you will have oily parts everywhere if you dont
      yeah i figured i should, just gotta look it up!

      Quote Originally Posted by Svedka View Post
      Best intake gasket I ever used

      http://www.evolutiontuning.com/evohe...ds18SOHC8V.htm


      The newsouth explanation of how power gaskets work.

      PowerGasket Plus™ gives you up to 5% more power from your engine by reducing the temperature of the incoming air to your engine. This gives you cooler, denser air for more horsepower and performance from your engine.

      The PowerGasket Plus™ is made from a purpose-built high performance composite material. It conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.

      Cooler air, denser air, means more oxygen. Your engine sensors register these changes and will inject more fuel to give you more power. Cooler air also reduces detonation, so you can turn up the boost or advance your engine timing for even more performance gains.
      i really want that sounds pretty sick
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    3. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-27-2010 08:02 PM #53
      Gettin' work done!!!!

      So since I couldn't move forward without getting a gasket from manifold to carb, i decided to make my own. For 5 bucks I get 10" by 5' of felpro gasket material


      Since the injector plugs weren't tight, a couple of dudes gave me the idea of hightemp silicone/gasket maker to plug it up good


      mounted the manifolds to ze head, and ze head to ze block.

      i used the bentley as reference so you closet professional techs can relax and not go bashing.

      Tough part came up. damn throttle cable is a cra-pload in length, gotta find a way to route it in a different way so there's tension

      HAVE to cut out the ball at the end of the cable


      and here's end product. gonna do more work tomorrow in the day time with the sun out. it's starting to dip into the 50's here in FL. And for us that's FREEZING.
      Tomorrow will be fuel and ignition....THE PART WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR ALL ALONG lol
      Last edited by Snatcher; 12-27-2010 at 08:23 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    4. 12-28-2010 09:27 PM #54
      I use that felpro make your own gasket stuff all the time. (I work at a engine machine shop that does a lot of rare stuff) A trick i use a lot is to use a small ball peen hammer and gently tap the gasket along the edges of the holes. Cuts it out perfect! Good luck with your build, i'm doing the same thing but with a stock carb manifold and an adaptor plate i made.

    5. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-28-2010 10:28 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by macodola View Post
      I use that felpro make your own gasket stuff all the time. (I work at a engine machine shop that does a lot of rare stuff) A trick i use a lot is to use a small ball peen hammer and gently tap the gasket along the edges of the holes. Cuts it out perfect! Good luck with your build, i'm doing the same thing but with a stock carb manifold and an adaptor plate i made.
      I used a lighter to make a sort of crease around the edges, my cutting skills aren't so nice lol. but man, that right there with the hammer and all sounds flipping awesome dude.

      thanks man! i'm gonna need it!
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    6. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-28-2010 10:35 PM #56
      pre-update! no pictures right now since i got some friends coming soon, but i had the biggest URGE to give you guys an update! So i ran into a few problems.

      -Starter wont crank over, gonna need a switch to that to send power to it, tis cool
      -No fuel going in(using stock pump) again, it needs to be switched since it's wired up to the ECU
      -Ignition is perfect, just want a switch for that as well
      -Fans, assuming it, again, ran off the ecu. making a switch for that as well.

      so in total i need 4 switches. YAY, i got 50ft 12g wire from lowes for the price of 20ft. My friend in the AE86 works at lowes and knows a guy that knows a guy

      Cool. gonna put the new fuel pump, new fuel lines and bam. hopefully should get it started then. WOOHOO!!! lol

      pictures of linkage and how i set it up at 12am EST lol

      if anyone has any suggestible ideas of how i can get my starter to crank over, it will be highly appreciated
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    7. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 12:06 AM #57
      Update!

      Got the cable..hmmm how the fvck do i mount it and where?!


      Answer=Use the throttle bracket that's on the 1.8manifold and put it on the firewall. There's already a screw sticking out. Self-explantory


      Gonna re-wire some stuff on my next day off, timing took me about half a day. I dread the fact of bending a valve the day i start this guy up T_T


      Here's a pic of my best friends AE86 that's been helping me out this whole time, the one i've been mentioning throughout the thread



      Looking at this pic again, I really need some wheels T_T and to finish off the body work
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    8. Member Svedka's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Gig-Harbor WA,
      Posts
      1,923
      Vehicles
      GLI X-Flow, ITB MK2, 8vTcoupe
      12-29-2010 12:15 AM #58
      You should make/bend some metal so your pull on the throttle cable is straighter.


      Your 8v should be non interference motor.


      If u use a #18 relay you should be able to use your fuel pump with key instead of switch.

      Fans are not wired through the ecu and can be done without a switch also.

      Starter all you need is the red and black wire ran to it.
      http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

    9. Member Svedka's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Gig-Harbor WA,
      Posts
      1,923
      Vehicles
      GLI X-Flow, ITB MK2, 8vTcoupe
      12-29-2010 12:17 AM #59
      AE86 is perfect to steal some ITB's from



    10. Member Svedka's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Gig-Harbor WA,
      Posts
      1,923
      Vehicles
      GLI X-Flow, ITB MK2, 8vTcoupe
      12-29-2010 12:19 AM #60



      Looks like you need to do a heater core also

    11. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 12:22 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Svedka View Post
      You should make/bend some metal so your pull on the throttle cable is straighter.


      Your 8v should be non interference motor.


      If u use a #18 relay you should be able to use tour fuel pump with switch.

      Fans are not wired through the ecu and can be done without a switch also.

      Starter all you need is the red and black wire ran to it.
      http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html
      Like bend the cable itself?
      #18 relay where?
      And for the fans? how?
      Well i tried to crank over the car, heard nothing at all.

      Quote Originally Posted by Svedka View Post
      AE86 is perfect to steal some ITB's from
      a friend of his has the 20v swap on it, sounds SICK
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    12. Member Svedka's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Gig-Harbor WA,
      Posts
      1,923
      Vehicles
      GLI X-Flow, ITB MK2, 8vTcoupe
      12-29-2010 12:28 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      Like bend the cable itself?
      #18 relay where?
      And for the fans? how?
      Well i tried to crank over the car, heard nothing at all.


      a friend of his has the 20v swap on it, sounds SICK
      bend a bracket so the cable itself is straighter.

      #18 relay where your original fuel pump relay was so bottom right i believe.

      Fans can be wired in using the factory fan power and ground, ground switch run ground from switch to fans run power to fan if blowing reverse switch the power and ground on fans add relay if needed.

      Your car will not start without a good ground from the body to the battery and from the motor to the battery 4g is best make sure your starter is pluged in to the correct spot also.

    13. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 12:32 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Svedka View Post
      bend a bracket so the cable itself is straighter.

      #18 relay where your original fuel pump relay was so bottom right i believe.

      Fans can be wired in using the factory fan power and ground, ground switch run ground from switch to fans run power to fan if blowing reverse switch the power and ground on fans add relay if needed.

      Your car will not start without a good ground from the body to the battery and from the motor to the battery 4g is best make sure your starter is pluged in to the correct spot also.
      With the starter issue, i never had a problem with when i was EFI, it was perfect, started almost instantly. So I should get 4g wire and wire it up again?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    14. Member marauder228vw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      Made in Dade, Fl
      Posts
      1,213
      Vehicles
      MK2 GOLF VR6 ,01 b5 s4 ultra rare silver
      12-29-2010 01:32 AM #64
      I like what ur doing with minty lol I def want to see what number it puts down, subscribed.
      Parked!!1

    15. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 01:43 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by marauder228vw View Post
      I like what ur doing with minty lol I def want to see what number it puts down, subscribed.

      hahaha sweeeeeet
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    16. Member Schrottplatzer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2009
      Posts
      319
      Vehicles
      1987 Junkyard Golf, MKV Jetta, 2004 V8 Toureg, 2012 GLI
      12-29-2010 03:04 PM #66
      I have the 32/36 DFEV set-up on my German spec Frankengolf. I love it and it hauls. I do get starvation in hard cornering if i don't keep on it. I also got 31mpg doin 110mph for three hours with a passenger and luggage (autobahn)

      Keep up the downdraft spirit! It doesn't get the cool points, but is a lot less temperamental and more responsive than the side draft. Perfect carb for a car you're going to drive day to day

    17. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 05:20 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrottplatzer View Post
      I have the 32/36 DFEV set-up on my German spec Frankengolf. I love it and it hauls. I do get starvation in hard cornering if i don't keep on it. I also got 31mpg doin 110mph for three hours with a passenger and luggage (autobahn)

      Keep up the downdraft spirit! It doesn't get the cool points, but is a lot less temperamental and more responsive than the side draft. Perfect carb for a car you're going to drive day to day
      noice noice man! exactly the reason why I'm doing it, it's gonna be a daily. might put an adjustable cam gear, a different cam, lightened IMshaft pulley, and many powerful cooling solutions. Just to have a good reliable daily that can eat a few hondas when i'm in the mood for it
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    18. 12-29-2010 05:20 PM #68
      so where do i get the kit i was going to go with side draft but i like this way more

    19. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 07:01 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by buffalobill1138 View Post
      so where do i get the kit i was going to go with side draft but i like this way more
      http://store.blackforestindustries.c...idodr8vca.html

      i got it from BFI, awesome dudes, you should tell them my vortex name, hopefully i'll get some free stickers out of it lol

      you're gonna have to get the manifold grinded down a bit or do what i did and jump on the manifold so both intake and exhaust mani's fit (i highly recommend you do not do this lol)
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    20. Member B4S's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2003
      Location
      Marionville, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      8,315
      Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1987 GTI 16v
      12-29-2010 09:41 PM #70
      I feel I need to mention how bad of an idea it is to hard mount the throttle cable to the firewall instead of a bracket on the engine itself. As the engine moves, it will pull on the cable, and the cable will pull your throttle pedal instead of the other way around. It will be slight, but I can only see this going badly. Unintended acceleration much?

      The throttle cable should be a straight pull against the linkage, the Mk1 stuff is possibly a better option as it already is a ball and socket mount.
      1987 GTI 16v, no build thread.

    21. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-29-2010 10:24 PM #71
      from where the linkage is, there's only about 2 inches of empty space before it hits the engine bay. i could tie it against the bay. it has to bend period. the pedal is pretty firm, similar to how i had it when it was efi. it does slip, it keeps its tension all the way to full throttle. I'd love to make another hole on the fire wall, but that's going to go right behind the dash and that's not gonna work, i doubt a cable could fit through there. in the kit, it came with this lever that has a pivot, for the obvious reason. to have the cable be pulled from an angle.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    22. Member B4S's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2003
      Location
      Marionville, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      8,315
      Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1987 GTI 16v
      12-30-2010 06:46 AM #72
      When you step on it, and the engine rocks forward...be sure to post up your impressions of:

      A) the throttle cable pulling out of the pedal
      B) the way the car lurches forward on it's own
      C) how the insurance company will understand that the car just lurched forward on it's own into the car ahead of it at the light.

      etc .

      Seriously, get a Rabbit cable, build a bracket that mounts to the intake, clip the cable short, and bolt it into what you've made there at the linkage. I'm not trying to be a dick, but iffy fabrication is iffy fabrication man .
      1987 GTI 16v, no build thread.

    23. Member Snatcher's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Miami FL
      Posts
      304
      Vehicles
      MK3 97 GTI 2.0/ MK2 GOLF GL/ MK3 96 GTI 2.0/MK4 GTI AWP(current)
      12-30-2010 10:42 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by B4S View Post
      When you step on it, and the engine rocks forward...be sure to post up your impressions of:

      A) the throttle cable pulling out of the pedal
      B) the way the car lurches forward on it's own
      C) how the insurance company will understand that the car just lurched forward on it's own into the car ahead of it at the light.

      etc .

      Seriously, get a Rabbit cable, build a bracket that mounts to the intake, clip the cable short, and bolt it into what you've made there at the linkage. I'm not trying to be a dick, but iffy fabrication is iffy fabrication man .

      Didn't fabricate a single thing dude, about an inch of cable is inside the linkage so i doubt it's going to slip off.
      Intake is too low, and the lever pulls back toward the firewall.
      I am telling you this cable has the same feeling as it did before.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3 View Post
      Like the other guy said. Plus ITBs and crabs are more for N/A motors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Snatcher View Post
      hahaha ITB's and crabs are for N/A motors i knew it!

    24. Member B4S's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2003
      Location
      Marionville, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      8,315
      Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1987 GTI 16v
      12-30-2010 11:59 AM #74
      I don't doubt it feels exactly like stock.

      When you hit the loud pedal while under load...do you think the engine stays in one spot? It rocks forward or backward, depending on throttle input. If the throttle cable is hard-anchored to the firewall, it can't flex...leaving the cable inside the sheath to do it. If you have full throttle movement right now, at WOT (with the engine off), what do you think will happen when you're at WOT under load, and the engine rocks forward? It's going to pull harder on the cable, and the pedal. If the cable is at it's maximum throw while sitting, what do you think will happen when it's forced to find another inch's worth of play? One of two things will happen: 1) the hook end will bend and slip out of the pedal, or 2) The throttle plates will be forced to open further than they're supposed to and will jam open.

      Seriously dude, I'm only trying to help here. You'll enjoy the carb setup a LOT more if it's built correctly. Carbs can be VERY finicky, and having a less-than-perfect throttle setup will not help at all.

      I've offered as much advice as I can, and since it's not my car, I will stop trying to help. I know what it's like to want the easiest way out, to get the car up and running in less time, but if it's important enough to do once...it's important enough to do right.
      1987 GTI 16v, no build thread.

    25. Member Schrottplatzer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2009
      Posts
      319
      Vehicles
      1987 Junkyard Golf, MKV Jetta, 2004 V8 Toureg, 2012 GLI
      12-30-2010 03:11 PM #75
      I got my kit from Alamo motorsports. good people.

      I mounted me throttle off of the intake manifold and reversed the linkage so pulling forward made more throttle.

      Do you have an A/F ratio gauge set up or are you just going to read teh spark plugs to figure out your mixture These carbs are waaaaay adjustable. I'm talking 1/16 turn makes a difference. A bit of a hassle but totally worth it.

    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •