Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consolidation of Information: Haldex into Corrado. (02m, Syncro)

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      02-05-2011 03:46 PM #36
      I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at. From everything I have read I think I will need to put vr hubs on my car and drill them to 4x100. I'm not really sure though.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      90 jetta coupe w/R32 engine swap - Project
      03-04-2011 02:26 PM #37
      Does anybody know if the mk3 syncro gas tank will work? I would like to use that since it only has the one fuel pump.
      My R32 swap and shaved bay jetta coupe build
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ding-the-beast

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      03-04-2011 02:45 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
      I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at. From everything I have read I think I will need to put vr hubs on my car and drill them to 4x100. I'm not really sure though.
      The splines on the actual driveshaft are the same between the the G60 and VR6, and from what Zach said they are the same on the 02M shaft as well. That means as long as you match your hubs and outer CV joints you can use either 4x100 or 5x100 as you please.
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

4. 03-04-2011 05:48 PM #39
      I don't know if this question is relevant here but Im considering and collecting syncro bits for a Corrado.

Question is how do I do a 5x112 conversion on the Corrado with Syncro? Does the Vanagon 5x112 syncro hubs work with any of the syncro conversions? Maybe custom half shafts?

I have an Audi and plenty of 5x112 rims. Im not a fan of adaptors so it's not an option for me
      Cheers,
      _Anton

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-04-2011 05:56 PM #40
      Vanagon is wrong syncro...

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO
      03-04-2011 06:01 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by rs2coupe View Post
      I don't know if this question is relevant here but Im considering and collecting syncro bits for a Corrado.

Question is how do I do a 5x112 conversion on the Corrado with Syncro? Does the Vanagon 5x112 syncro hubs work with any of the syncro conversions? Maybe custom half shafts?

I have an Audi and plenty of 5x112 rims. Im not a fan of adaptors so it's not an option for me
      Cannot do 5x112 without custom hubs.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      03-04-2011 06:39 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      Cannot do 5x112 without custom hubs.
      True. I'm working on it, and its a total PITA. I've not found anything 5x112 thats even close to fitting the Corrado
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      10-04-2011 06:17 PM #43
      Bump. Quick question for the pros: If I go the passat syncro rear for haldex and am going to run the big gas tank what other parts do I need to source from Europe? I know there are two brackets, but other then that I think I would be good.

My plan so far is: Passat syncro rear setup with notched spare tire well and hemmeroid gas tank. Although I have a couple ideas for solving the gas tank issue. If it is possible I would section it and plastic weld it so it didn't hang so low, or if that doesn't work I will do a custom aluminum fuel cell that will still go to the factory gas door.

Only parts I have so far are the ones for the o2m box to bolt up like factory But I have a passat syncro locally that I should be picking up if I can get if for the right price... and more importantly somewhere to store it considering I already have a wrecker Corrado.
      Last edited by JamesS; 10-04-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Vehicles
      10-05-2011 09:56 AM #44
      Bump. Quick question for the pros: If I go the passat syncro rear for haldex and am going to run the big gas tank what other parts do I need to source from Europe? I know there are two brackets, but other then that I think I would be good.

My plan so far is: Passat syncro rear setup with notched spare tire well and hemmeroid gas tank. Although I have a couple ideas for solving the gas tank issue. If it is possible I would section it and plastic weld it so it didn't hang so low, or if that doesn't work I will do a custom aluminum fuel cell that will still go to the factory gas door.

Only parts I have so far are the ones for the o2m box to bolt up like factory But I have a passat syncro locally that I should be picking up if I can get if for the right price... and more importantly somewhere to store it considering I already have a wrecker Corrado.
      Notching the floor only works on SLC's (& Canadian VR6) Due to the higher floor. You will need to cut and raise your whole floor using VR6 Parts.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

10. 01-29-2012 03:33 PM #45
      2. Haldex Swap

Parts Needed
      1. Syncro rear axle assembly converted to accept haldex dif with dutch build kit (around 400 usd)

LOL THATS MY REAR BEAM I BUILT LOL
      was just looking though the web found this post and bam theres my rear axle lol
      Last edited by bam20v; 01-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      02-13-2012 11:09 PM #46
      Anyone have any insight into the subframe? I have a stock g60 subframe, but want to convert to the later vr6 style for strength while keeping the non plus suspension. From what I know so far I will need a Vr front crossmember from a Corrado or Passat and a mk3 k frame... I really don't have a great understanding of the differences between suspension. Would appreciate some insight so I can start gathering those parts.

I also added a couple pictures, and should have more to add once I get my syncro axle later in the month.

Finally, I know a couple other guys here are doing this swap as well- anyone want me to try and see if there is any sort of group price for dutchbuild haldex beam conversions, or if packaging them together can save on shipping? There might be jig floating around too, Ive yet to find out. Would be nice to also make a fb group or something to troubleshoot/ trade parts during the process.
      Last edited by JamesS; 02-13-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Vehicles
      90 corrado 20/20 haldex, 2003 jetta
      02-13-2012 11:39 PM #47
      Anyone have any insight into the subframe? I have a stock g60 subframe, but want to convert to the later vr6 style for strength while keeping the non plus suspension. From what I know so far I will need a Vr front crossmember from a Corrado or Passat and a mk3 k frame... I really don't have a great understanding of the differences between suspension. Would appreciate some insight so I can start gathering those parts.
      The K subframe is the same from vr to g60. The only difference is the rear mount. The mk3 frame is the same as well. It just has a additional rear extension to bolt on the floor. as seen here

You don't need the front crossmember to convert. But for your info the passat is the same as corrado.

Vehicles
      '92 8V GTI, '03 24V GTI, '93 SLC VR, '99 EK9, '03 Evo8
      02-14-2012 01:13 AM #48
      IIRC doesn't the MK3 K frame in the "MK2" Corrado chassis make the motor sit higher?
      Spoonfedtuning < If you have a Corrado you need this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by thecorradokid24 View Post
      Eat some bacon and man the f up.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      02-14-2012 01:35 PM #49
      Subframe/K-Frame, etc)

1. As Rob mentioned, the Kframes are all interchangeable (pretty much). ..plus suspension, non-plus etc. You just need to keep the A Arms, Rack, sway bar and spindles consistent with the suspension width.
      2. The Mk3 KFrame has longer tail brackets (after the sway bar mount) that you can either shorten to match the Corrado or just drill a hole and use a washer or 2 between the body.
      3. The engine mount cup is about 3/16" taller than the Corrado VR. At least this is true for the Mk3 2L is because I measured and compared them. Not sure if the Mk3 Vr is taller or not, but either way it is not that significant.
      4. For a 4 Cyl, you will need to use the Aluminum Rear Engine bracket for the corresponding subframe. Mk3 with Mk3 (5 speed only), Mk2 with mk2 or G60. Needs to be modified to clear Syncro or get the Proper Syncro engine bracket. If you get the True Syncro rear engine bracket, make sure you use the subframe to match or else the bracket will not bolt to the mount properly (mk2/g60 uses 3 bolts, Mk3 uses one single bolt). I am not sure if there are 2 styles on the syncro brkt as you will have to ask someone in the know if they every made the MK3 style.
      5. 4cyls use the Vibration Dampening Weight welded to the front of the KFrame

Front Engine carrier/Cross member

To use the stronger VR style on a G60 or Mk2, you need either a Corrao VR, B3 VR or any B4 front Cross member. They are all the same and use the VR, Mk3 style engine mount. Note: B3 2L is the same as the G60/Mk2.

If you use the VR Cross member (as I will call it) on a 4cyl, then you must use the proper Front Engine bracket. The only model that will work directly is a MK3 Diesel 5 speed. It has the provision to bolt to the 02a/Syncro trans like all 02a's AND has the proper angle on the front that is suitable for said carrier. Mk2/G60 front engine brkts do not have the Correct Angle on the Front Engine brkt. There are pics of this in my build thread.

Hopefully this clarifies all of the Carrier/KFrame q's.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-23-2012 03:18 PM #50
      Thanks for the info on the sub frames. On my personal front I just bought an o2m, haldex rear differential, shiftbox, and all driveshafts. They are still in transit, but this arrived today:

I am pretty pumped! Hopefully I can have the o2m in this fall.

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      03-23-2012 07:16 PM #51
      I'm not well versed on the awd conversion but please eliminate the spare tire well in its entirety . The half notched well in my opinion looks like ****. Just my .02 carry on gents.
      [B] INSTAGRAM: europeein
      Facebook: facebook.com/addmichael

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-23-2012 08:15 PM #52
      If/ when I notch the tire well I will just use the extra space for a sub enclosure.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 08:47 PM #53
      If/ when I notch the tire well I will just use the extra space for a sub enclosure.
      Be the first to remove the whole tub

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-23-2012 08:58 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by HavokRuels View Post
      Be the first to remove the whole tub
      Why would I remove the whole tub when I get some usable space even just for tools out of the remainder? You can't even see it as it is covered up by the false floor.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 09:18 PM #55
      Why would I remove the whole tub when I get some usable space even just for tools out of the remainder? You can't even see it as it is covered up by the false floor.
      If it were me and it's not, knowing this is what it looks like under my trunk carpet would bother the **** out of me

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-23-2012 09:32 PM #56
      If it were me and it's not, knowing this is what it looks like under my trunk carpet would bother the **** out of me

That is why I would put a nice fibreglass sub box insert to take up the extra space. No one sees it and it is usable space, why weld over it?

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-23-2012 10:00 PM #57
      And the rest of my haul:

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 10:31 PM #58
      That is why I would put a nice fibreglass sub box insert to take up the extra space. No one sees it and it is usable space, why weld over it?
      I don't see it as usable and I'm into the clean look but im sure there will be things I do to mine that won't appeal to others. Can't knock you for diving into such a big project though.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      03-24-2012 11:12 AM #59
      And the rest of my haul:
      Nice.

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      03-26-2012 01:01 AM #60
      And the rest of my haul

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 09:55 AM #61

This is not actually needed. If you have an SLC, the floor is high enough to just cut the spare well out. On the G60 the floor is lower, and the picture confirms the Passat Pan does not fit.

Vehicles
      90 corrado 20/20 haldex, 2003 jetta
      03-26-2012 10:05 AM #62
      ^ the photo is of a golf syncro floor with a passat tank added after the fact.
      OP good luck with swap. My project has run into a few road blocks but it's still pressing forward

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-27-2012 12:23 AM #63
      Just throwing this out there: I know that a bunch of people are considering, in the process of, or done haldex/syncro conversions. Is there any interest in a facebook group so we can do some parts sharing/ general brainstorming? This swap is definitely one where it helps to have some guidance and it seems like each person has something to bring to the table. Might be something to consider if there is enough interest.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      03-29-2012 07:01 PM #64
      Updated the initial post, if anyone has any other info to add it would be nice.

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 07:45 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      This is not actually needed. If you have an SLC, the floor is high enough to just cut the spare well out. On the G60 the floor is lower, and the picture confirms the Passat Pan does not fit.
      That's a much cleaner look

Pretty cool thread, keep it going

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      06-04-2012 07:34 PM #66
      Some crunching of numbers for my personal costs just to give an idea to those considering.
      So far mine is like this:

O2m, haldex dif, driveshafts, shiftbox, brakes : $1400
      Euro retrofit shiftbox parts $90
      Syncro rear axle $200
      Clutchline $80
      -$300 (for TT brakes when I sell them)
      -$100 (selling syncro dif)

So, a rough estimate of other parts

Standalone $1100 or $300 if I go cheap
      Gas tank, syncro floorpan and support (passat) $400 or approx $1500 for Rallye?
      O2m mounts $350
      Haldex mount $400

Plus around $1500 for various things I may encounter/ paint/ sandblasting/ powdercoat/ hardware/ driveshaft shortening.

Based upon my own costs I think I could do rallye for around $6300, and passat for right around $5000. If I skimped on management I could get down to around $4200. Keep in mind this is all not including the countless hours of prep and install but 90% of that can be done by me with help from family/ friends.

Vehicles
      67 mile 1989 GTI 16V, 1993 Quattro Corrado-zilla 3.6 V8, 1990 Corrado ABA 16v k27turbo, 1980 Caddy
      06-05-2012 02:43 AM #67
      Euro retro box ?
      Clutch line?
      Standalone?
      That bull**** isn't a given for awd/haldex/synchro I can get any brake line or for 80 a pair....
      My Quattro v8 isn't adding to that but im assuming your putting in the time to weld if you're pricing as you are.....
      Even my passdown to my son I could do for a bit cheaper ...... The question is are YOU wiling to get dirty? Even the plating I could do on my own but if you're a lazy " I want off the pretty shelf" person you run up a bill.... Functional and clean up/ up grade as you go not so much...... Just my opinion... Seems your adding engine and this would be considered purely drivetrain ..... Again I just see it being done cheaper if you have skills or play your cards right.
      Last edited by Evil16v; 06-05-2012 at 02:51 AM.
      "Why yes it had 67 miles...and no i wont sell it.","Its not what you can buy, but what you can build"
      Quote Originally Posted by 88Jetta350 View Post
      Because it's not a Sheep car, or left original like others have said.
      I'm sure if he were dumping it on the ground with some BBS RS on it, the feedback would be more positive.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado
      06-05-2012 03:02 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Evil16v View Post
      Euro retro box ?
      Clutch line?
      Standalone?
      That bull**** isn't a given for awd/haldex/synchro I can get any brake line or for 80 a pair....
      My Quattro v8 isn't adding to that but im assuming your putting in the time to weld if you're pricing as you are.....
      Even my passdown to my son I could do for a bit cheaper ...... The question is are YOU wiling to get dirty? Even the plating I could do on my own but if you're a lazy " I want off the pretty shelf" person you run up a bill.... Functional and clean up/ up grade as you go not so much...... Just my opinion... Seems your adding engine and this would be considered purely drivetrain ..... Again I just see it being done cheaper if you have skills or play your cards right.
      I will disregard the above as the inbred rambling of someone who has neither read the thread nor understands the process of properly installed Haldex awd.
      Last edited by JamesS; 06-05-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 09:16 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Evil16v View Post
      Euro retro box ?
      Clutch line?
      Standalone?
      Are you drunk? Were you drunk when this was posted?

Vehicles
      93 Corrado VR6T,06 Audi A4 2.0T
      06-07-2012 07:54 AM #70
      Euro retrofit shiftbox parts $90.
      What's the deal with this? I bought a O2M shift box and Cables with hopes that that's gonna work for my project

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast