Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Consolidation of Information: Haldex into Corrado. (02m, Syncro)

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado, 98 Subaru Legacy
      07-10-2012 09:06 PM #76
      Updated the front page with some more up to date info.

In other news- managed to source a rear pinion carrier.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit GTI (The rusty rabbit) extensive rust repair project
      08-02-2012 10:55 AM #77
      If you are wanting to keep the standard mk2 track and 4 lug then you could get your stock hubs resplined to the bigger vr splines. That is what is being done to mine as I type this. No redrill and I can run the bigger splines.
      My R32 swap and shaved bay jetta coupe build
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ding-the-beast

3. Member
      Vehicles
      95 urS6, 92 golf, 84 rabbit, 09 hypermotard, corrados
      08-02-2012 12:48 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by eodtech View Post
      If you are wanting to keep the standard mk2 track and 4 lug then you could get your stock hubs resplined to the bigger vr splines. That is what is being done to mine as I type this. No redrill and I can run the bigger splines.

who is doing this? whats the cost?

i wish i had the tooling to do this, the machines we make at work do this quick and easy (shapers)
      Cleary Coachworks

I hate red cars

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08-02-2012 12:54 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      who is doing this? whats the cost?

i wish i had the tooling to do this, the machines we make at work do this quick and easy (shapers)
      RCV Performance out of Illinois. $100 a hub.

Vehicles
      09-16-2012 09:12 PM #80
      If I have been reading correctly can't you just use the 4x100 outer cv and not have to change the hub at all? I haven't looked into it too much but it is crunch time for me to figure my **** out.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2012 09:32 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
      If I have been reading correctly can't you just use the 4x100 outer cv and not have to change the hub at all? I haven't looked into it too much but it is crunch time for me to figure my **** out.
      Not that I am aware of. I have o2m axles and the stock axles and the o2m axle itself is a lot bigger. The 5x100 axles and the o2m ones are interchangeable though.

Vehicles
      90 corrado 20/20 haldex, 2003 jetta
      09-16-2012 10:46 PM #82
      Guys it cost me $50 each to cut them right

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 03:53 PM #83
      I'm not talking about shortening of the driveshafts, Im curious about the hub combinations and interchangeability using the o2m driveshaft. From what I have read so far I am using:

Shortened O2M driveshafts, o2m innter CV, 4x100 spindles/hub, G60 outer CV.

But I haven't looked at the physical pieces to know if it works. All I know is I need narrow track and 4x100 to keep my borbets.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      09-17-2012 09:07 PM #84
      actual Axle spline is different on 02m vs MK2/3, so you can't do what you are proposing.

Just the Outer CV spline on outer 02m CV = 5 Lug C/MK3 Vr which is why you can use 02m axles in VR hubs
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 10:16 PM #85
      So the easiest thing to do then would be to have my g60 30 tooth splines machined to the o2m 32?
      Last edited by JamesS; 09-17-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 09:03 AM #86
      So the easiest thing to do then would be to have my g60 30 tooth splines machined to the o2m 32?
      Yep. Either take VR hubs and Drill 4x100 or have your 4x100 hubs resplined.

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 12:08 AM #87
      Damn, never even really thought of that. Sucks that all the machine shops in my area are either incompetent or expensive as ****. I think that welding and redrilling hubs would be a lot easier to get done then resplining. Too bad no one sells blank vr hubs... or that adaptec doesn't make dual pattern big spline hubs.

Vehicles
      09-19-2012 10:38 AM #88
      You don't really "have" to weld to add 4x100 (provided you are not running the ABS rings), although it would be my pref. If you are ABS, then you do have to weld and redrill.

Adaptec sells (or used to) "Doubled up Hubs" that have both patterns drilled. Not sure if they are 4 cyl spline or 6 (seem to recall 4), but you may want to check with them as another potential option.

$100 per hub to have them resplined properly does not seem like a bad deal.

Vehicles
      09-28-2012 09:49 PM #89
      Props to shawn and his mounts! They fit perfectly and are well made.

I prefer his style to the dutch dub mount because it also mounts to the side of the transmission casing.

Vehicles
      09-28-2012 10:55 PM #90
      This is why more Corrado owners should consider AWD:

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      09-29-2012 03:24 AM #91

I prefer his style to the dutch dub mount because it also mounts to the side of the transmission casing.

This is why more Corrado owners should consider AWD:

^^Wow!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 04:07 PM #92
      Thanks! I have seen too many bosses break off of the top of the trans for various reasons (a lot the time it is user error). That side strut eliminates any chance of that completely (regardless of the cause).

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 03:32 PM #93
      I really need to do some physical mock ups of the cs/hub/ axle situation.

Some sources say I can use the stock g60 hub and g60 outer cv with the 02m axle, whereas other sources say I need to use the vr6 outer cv and resplined hub.

I haven't personally looked at it yet but it is on my to do list. Seems like the more I read the less I know.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 04:36 PM #94
      02m Axle Spline 02a Axle spline, so you can not just use a G60 outer on the 02m axle

...unless you machine and weld the end of the 02a axle onto the 02m axle to form a hybrid merge.

The 02m outer CV does have the same outer hub spline as the VR, but the physical axle splines are different where the CV attaches to the axle.
      Last edited by sdezego; 10-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.

10-03-2012 04:51 PM #95
      Just got my hands on a CDN Synchro Wagon Thank you everyone for this very informative thread. Now that the dream is somewhat becoming a reality, I can finally get into reading the nitty gritty details about this swap

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 07:55 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by cata View Post
      Just got my hands on a CDN Synchro Wagon Thank you everyone for this very informative thread. Now that the dream is somewhat becoming a reality, I can finally get into reading the nitty gritty details about this swap
      I saw that on clubveedub. I wanted it but don't have the time to drive out there.

You planning on haldex or syncro?

10-04-2012 01:29 AM #97
      I would have honestly let you have it haha, but I could deff not stand to see all that get wasted at the crusher. So I guess it was meant to be lol.
      Initially I was thinking synchro with upgraded diffs for simplicity, but then again, I don't know that much beyond the basics with this stuff, ultimate power capabilities, etc. If it's some way possible to get the Haldex controller to communicate with a Lugtronic SA, then it's O2M VRT or bust

My main concern is the fuel tank, I want to plan for a low key oem install, so I'd like to source a 45L euro tank for it. But I don't know if it'll for sure bolt up to the Passat floor pan.
      Last edited by cata; 10-04-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:36 AM #98
      I would have honestly let you have it haha, but I could deff not stand to see all that get wasted at the crusher. So I guess it was meant to be lol.
      Initially I was thinking synchro with upgraded diffs for simplicity, but then again, I don't know that much beyond the basics with this stuff, ultimate power capabilities, etc. If it's some way possible to get the Haldex controller to communicate with a Lugtronic SA, then it's O2M VRT or bust

My main concern is the fuel tank, I want to plan for a low key oem install, so I'd like to source a 45L euro tank for it. But I don't know if it'll for sure bolt up to the Passat floor pan.
      Its not the floorpan you have to worry about its the crossmember. The 45l tank will not work with the passat crossmember so its 75l or bust .

Since you have a vr6 my advice to you would go the route DUBZAK wants to take. Cut out the rear spare tire well, weld in the syncro passat beam and use the larger tank. Sure you will have to deal with the tumor out the back but I am sure it will be worth it.

I was also considering myself doing a passat syncro install and trying to section the tank and plastic weld it back together. I think this would be possible with some creativity.

Finally, on the syncro vs haldex route if I were you I would go haldex. 1st of all the syncro transmission has a 4 cylinder housing to begin with so you cannot use it without sourcing parts. Do what I am doing- an 02m swap first and let the rear shaft spin free til you figure out the rear end. This is the easiest and will allow you to limit down time. As far as haldex management you can cheap out and get a knob that controls power to the rear or go all out and have some cool electronic standalone to manage launches etc.

If you do it in stages you can limit the upfront hit of the conversion and also not get discouraged by parking your car for a couple years.

10-04-2012 02:47 AM #99
      Its not the floorpan you have to worry about its the crossmember. The 45l tank will not work with the passat crossmember so its 75l or bust .

Since you have a vr6 my advice to you would go the route DUBZAK wants to take. Cut out the rear spare tire well, weld in the syncro passat beam and use the larger tank. Sure you will have to deal with the tumor out the back but I am sure it will be worth it.
      Haha I'm not too happy about that route, I can't deal with the tumor Might be better off to just sell this off further and wait for the right parts to come up. I was under the impression that this would get me half way there, sounds like I'm back to square one..

I was also considering myself doing a passat syncro install and trying to section the tank and plastic weld it back together. I think this would be possible with some creativity.
      Fuel is corrosive stuff, that sounds pretty sketchy as I wouldn't trust any glue for the job. The last thing we'd wanna see is fuel spraying on a hot exhaust pipe.

Do what I am doing- an 02m swap first and let the rear shaft spin free til you figure out the rear end. This is the easiest and will allow you to limit down time. As far as haldex management you can cheap out and get a knob that controls power to the rear or go all out and have some cool electronic standalone to manage launches etc.

If you do it in stages you can limit the upfront hit of the conversion and also not get discouraged by parking your car for a couple years.
      That was my original plan, before ending up with this. VRT O2M and then do the rest even later. I knew I should have researched the details further

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:58 AM #100

Fuel is corrosive stuff, that sounds pretty sketchy as I wouldn't trust any glue for the job. The last thing we'd wanna see is fuel spraying on a hot exhaust pipe.

Im not afraid of a little gas

But in all seriousness I have access to a professional plastic welder and amazing things can be done.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast