Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to install BMC (Manual Boost Controller) ???

Vehicles
      2003 VW 20th IY GTI
      11-22-2010 06:00 PM #1
      I have searched and searched for the DIY for installing a MBC for a 1.8T. I looked in this forum plus the MKIV Forum searching for both MBC and Manual boost Controller with no luck.

I tried installing one by disconnecting the two hoses that come of the N75 valve and plugging those into the MBC. I capped the N75 ends and left it plugged in. When I do this not matter which way I plugged the hoses in, I could not boost more than 5 lbs of boost.

Is there a write up or any pictures on what to do? I think I have done it correctly and perhaps have a faulty MBC (it is used.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vehicles
      '01 VW GTI 1.8T, '07 Hyundai Santa Fe Se
      11-22-2010 06:08 PM #2
      What are you doing to limit the MAP sensor and keep the ECU from throwing you into limp mode?
      '01 1.8T GTI AWW, APR chip/exhaust/tip 034 MotorSport

Vehicles
      2003 VW 20th IY GTI
      11-22-2010 09:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by machx0r View Post
      What are you doing to limit the MAP sensor and keep the ECU from throwing you into limp mode?
      Sorry for my ignorance on this but I have no idea.

Things done to the car. APR Chip, Intake, 3"TB exhaust, TIP, pulleys, and DV.

I am getting my K04 put on and I just had my boost gauge installed and I want to have the MBC done before I put my new turbo on as well.

As far as limiting the MAP Sensor unless the chip does that, I guess I am not. How would one do this?

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      11-22-2010 09:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CrossFlowGolf View Post
      Sorry for my ignorance on this but I have no idea.

Things done to the car. APR Chip, Intake, 3"TB exhaust, TIP, pulleys, and DV.

I am getting my K04 put on and I just had my boost gauge installed and I want to have the MBC done before I put my new turbo on as well.

As far as limiting the MAP Sensor unless the chip does that, I guess I am not. How would one do this?
      Do you even know why you want MBC installed?
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T
      11-22-2010 11:08 PM #5
      Depending on what stage chip you have it should be controlling your boost using your N75 valve. You should be around 14 psi? Once you have the K04 installed it should be seeing more like 18-22psi. All the N75 does is bleed off the vacuum going to the wastegate actuator so that it will boost more than the pre-defined spring tension.

See posts;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2530340
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2476457

Check these out.

Last edited by chaveezy; 11-22-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 VW 20th IY GTI
      11-23-2010 12:09 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MightyDSM View Post
      Do you even know why you want MBC installed?
      I don't want to spike, I want to make sure not to boost more than 20-22psi especially when I get my K04-001 installed.

Quote Originally Posted by chaveezy View Post
      Depending on what stage chip you have it should be controlling your boost using your N75 valve. You should be around 14 psi? Once you have the K04 installed it should be seeing more like 18-22psi. All the N75 does is bleed off the vacuum going to the wastegate actuator so that it will boost more than the pre-defined spring tension.

See posts;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2530340
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2476457

Check these out.

Cool thanks for the heads up. Right now with my stock K03s and my APR chip in 3rd gear and up I hit 17.5 lbs all day long. I am going to get the K04 program before I put my turbo on. I am going to run in stock mode until the turbo is installed and then turn up the boost once everything is done.

7. 11-23-2010 03:44 AM #7
      Just get the KO4 chip and leave the MBC off, there is no reason to turn up the boost on a k04 tune they are all pretty much maxxed out anyway just from the chip, if anything you'll want to use the MBC in parallel and use it to help limit boost spikes.

If you raise the boost with a MBC your going to need to start getting into using the diode mod and raising fuel pressures and a whole slew of things that you might not be ready for if your having trouble installing a MBC in the first place. Not trying to be a super dick or anything but unless you really know what your doing with the 1.8t the last thing you need to be doing is raising the boost over chipped levels.

Vehicles
      2003 VW 20th IY GTI
      11-23-2010 09:43 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cryser View Post
      Just get the KO4 chip and leave the MBC off, there is no reason to turn up the boost on a k04 tune they are all pretty much maxxed out anyway just from the chip, if anything you'll want to use the MBC in parallel and use it to help limit boost spikes.

If you raise the boost with a MBC your going to need to start getting into using the diode mod and raising fuel pressures and a whole slew of things that you might not be ready for if your having trouble installing a MBC in the first place. Not trying to be a super dick or anything but unless you really know what your doing with the 1.8t the last thing you need to be doing is raising the boost over chipped levels.
      That's the main reason I want a MBC so I don't spike, just really want it for safety not to boost the hell out of my turbo.

To use the MBC "in parallel" would I install it in a different location? If so, any pictures on this?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T
      11-23-2010 11:13 AM #9
      Bah, just get an EBC, they can control max boost and boost spikes with solenoid duty cycles, plus lots and LOTS of other options like push-button scramble mode (street race setup). I'm using the AVC-R right now and it's working great, GT2871R, setup to 73% duty cycle, max boost limit 1.55 BAR, start duty cycles -14%/-14%/-14%/-12%/-12%, with this setup I am boosting to 22PSI with no spike and holding constant to whenever I let off the gas.

Takes some setup though and it's pretty tough to do it all yourself, drive, eye on AFR, eye on boost gauge, shift, lol.. Easier to just do one gear at a time and do 3K to Redline pulls..

Of course it's expensive and a pain to install..

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 1.8T, 2002 RS GTI 1.8T (RIP)
      03-17-2011 01:00 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubwest View Post
      Audi B6 1.8t

Bought an ebay MBC

Connected turbo nipple to check valve (looks like this) _I_ check valve to n75. And the t to the MBC that has another nipple to vent out the air.

So it looks like this.

MBC

Turbo ________I________ n75

It spikes to 17psi then dropped down to 10psi.
      10 secs later (try it again) goes to 9psi drops to 5psi
      10 secs later stays at 5psi at WOT

Then I turned to MBC to the lowest setting and it stays at 5psi.
      It was a 9psi stock...before I installed the MBC.

Whats going on? Any suggestions to make it run!!
      WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Take pictures and post them but don't try to show us what you did with letters and symbols.

This seems like a thread full of n00bs! Just search and prepare to get flamed for these questions

11. Banner Advertiser doug@frankenturbo.com's Avatar
      03-17-2011 10:44 AM #11
      www.frankenturbo.com
      Let's Do This

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      11-12-2012 02:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by slappy_dunbar View Post
      **** up there ^^^^ doesn't work! PERIOD! I can't even break 5 PSI! So either I have a faulty MBC or the OP is CORRECTOMOONDO!!!!!

IVE TRIED WITH AND WITH OUT THE T SPLITTERS!!!

WHAT GIVES!?
      Last edited by SickAzzGTI; 11-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
      Jetta AWP 1.8t - GT2860R @ 22lbs, Stage II Eprom Chip/Tune, T25 Mani, Deatschwerks 550cc injectors, Walbro 255, ATP adjustable 4bar FPR, 3" downpipe/testpipe (catless), 3" Borla Catback, Neuspeed Intake w/ Heat Shield, Neuspeed FMIC Core w/ ATP Piping, Forge 007 DV, Sachs Single Mass Clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Raceland Coilovers, Forge Silicone TIP, SAI/N249/PCV/EVAP Delete, 35A Custom's Catch Can, Aristos w/ 20mm spacers in rear

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      11-12-2012 02:38 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by SickAzzGTI View Post
      **** up there ^^^^ doesn't work! PERIOD! I can't even break 5 PSI! So either I have a faulty MBC or the OP is CORRECTOMOONDO!!!!!

WHAT GIVES!?
      It's funny you mention 5PSI. That's the pressure that you get when you're in 'limp mode'.

Have you checked codes recently?

Do you still have your N249 valve installed?
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      11-12-2012 02:52 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SickAzzGTI View Post

WHAT GIVES!?
      It does work...

Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      It's funny you mention 5PSI. That's the pressure that you get when you're in 'limp mode'.

Have you checked codes recently?

Do you still have your N249 valve installed?
      this lol
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*