Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: O1M - automatic transmission leak - picture

1. 11-25-2010 11:50 PM #1
      Hi all,

I have a 1998 automatic Cabrio with the original transmission, O1M (i think).

I have a leak coming from the base of the filler tube and I was wondering if anybody here has has any similar incident.

Here's a pic:

O1M transmission leak

I've seen the plug for sale but I haven't seen the filler tube for sale, anyone know where I can pick one up and how to install one.

Thanks

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      11-28-2010 09:34 AM #2
      The fill tube has an o-ring that is replaceable. To change the 0-ring you'll have to pull the pan and release the "split fingers" on the fill tube and push it upwards. Be careful releasing the "split fingers" if they break then you'll need to get a fill tube from the dealer.

You can then take the 0-ring to an auto parts store and match it up, although if I recall correctly they are an oddball size and you may not be able to match it up close enough.

While you have the pan off you should replace the filter and pan gasket. Be sure to break open the filter to inspect for metal contamination.

My website has a "how to" for changing fluid and filter in the 01m FAQ.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 11-28-2010 at 09:37 AM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 11-29-2010 12:15 AM #3
      Thanks CoolairVW.

I wish i had a camera handy when I removed the pan.... the oil in there was terrible! There were no visible shavings on the magnet or the oil but the oil did look like it had powder sized metal mixed in with the oil to make some grey mud.

I had a hard time ripping apart the filter but once I did, I did not find any shavings there either.

The car ran smooth, the transmission shifted fine... the only problem was the leak.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to save the "pipe" given that the "fingers" were brittle but once removed I did not locate any o-ring on it or on the transmission.

My question is now as follows: the car has been parked for about a month (it's already winter here!) and the car has been slowly leaking during this time. I also don't have a code reader ...so..... would it be safe if I put 4 litres of AT oil and then drive it in the spring to a garage who can properly check the oil level?

Thanks again.

Vehicles
      11-29-2010 10:38 AM #4
      That would probably be ok. Did you get a new fill tube allready?
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

5. 10-05-2012 09:11 AM #5
      I know this is a old thread, but I just want to let all the vdubber know I recently replaced the tranny oil fill lube. Initially I was seeing leak by the bottom of the neck area after the car cool down. I attempted to clean up the area, and put gasket around it to avoid having the pull out the tranny pan... The silicon thing didn't work, so ended up draining fluid, pulling out the pan, then remove the tube. It was very easy to remove, just a few wiggle and will come off. I bought a new tube and o ring, it was rather difficult not to break the tube or the stabs that held on to the transmission resevoir. So get a new tube and o-ring when you decided to change yours.... After years of trany leakage, finally no leak!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      96 Jetta 2.0 Automatic
      10-10-2012 11:35 PM #6
      thanks, going to do this soon. So it is not possible to remove the tube without pulling the pan, correct? Tried just yanking it off earlier today.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 12:40 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mrtimo View Post
      thanks, going to do this soon. So it is not possible to remove the tube without pulling the pan, correct? Tried just yanking it off earlier today.
      It may be a possible to fix without pulling the pan. But the fluid, filter and pan gasket probably needs changed anyway, and the pan is just 4 bolts so you probably should just do it right. Even if you dont need to change the fluid, filter or pan gasket then its real easy to drain the fluid into a clean container and reuse the pan gasket then you can still get it done easy. See my website for "easy fill" info in the "service 01m" section.

But... If you are willing and wanting to do a "unorthodox" repair, then you can try this method. I'm not sure it will work but it probably will. You'll have to buy a new "fill tube".

1. Grab it real good and yank it off. Break it off anyway you can. It will probably break the fingers inside the pan off and they will stay inside the pan. They wont cause a problem in there because there is no way they would pass through the filter. Then slide the new one in.

I've never done this but it should work.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com