Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy and selling physical gold and silver

1. 12-10-2010 07:04 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by a_riot View Post
      Thanks for the history lesson, but my questions remain unanswered. You don't think the same thing that is happening with frn's can't happen with pm's? You are naive.
      Nobody here is obligated to answer them. Because these questions of yours are framed and derives from your confused head. This is typical of irrational person who argues for the sake of argument. I have called your BS long time ago on this board and yet you still don't get it. You are a troll. Bankrupt intellectual fraud who pretends to know everything yet knows nothing. You deserve no rational discourse. I call a spade a spade and a troll a troll. Be gone.

2. 12-10-2010 09:26 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by nezraM View Post
      Nobody here is obligated to answer them. Because these questions of yours are framed and derives from your confused head. This is typical of irrational person who argues for the sake of argument. I have called your BS long time ago on this board and yet you still don't get it. You are a troll. Bankrupt intellectual fraud who pretends to know everything yet knows nothing. You deserve no rational discourse. I call a spade a spade and a troll a troll. Be gone.
      Lol...whatever dude. How many times have you been banned now? Talk about the kettle calling the stove black. If you don't know the answers to my very reasonable questions, the correct response is "I don't know". You can save the ad hominem for someone who cares what you think.

3. 12-11-2010 10:58 AM #53
      Lol...whatever dude. How many times have you been banned now? Talk about the kettle calling the stove black. If you don't know the answers to my very reasonable questions, the correct response is "I don't know". You can save the ad hominem for someone who cares what you think.
      3 times. Wounds I have earned fighting for truth, I wear them like medals of honor.

You? talking BS since day one. Good for you. Mr. Derivatives.

4. 12-11-2010 03:55 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by nezraM View Post
      3 times. Wounds I have earned fighting for truth, I wear them like medals of honor.
      Wow. Talk about delusions of grandeur... This thread needs locking before you start telling us you are a descendant of Robin Hood.

5. 12-11-2010 04:46 PM #55
      Wow. Talk about delusions of grandeur... This thread needs locking before you start telling us you are a descendant of Robin Hood.

I AM THE ROBIN HOOD!

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      12-11-2010 06:49 PM #56
      I am Batman!

Vehicles
      6.6L Duramax, 235 Thriftmaster, 2.0 Boxer
      12-12-2010 01:02 PM #57
      I am IRON MAN.

Vehicles
      AUDI S4 2014
      12-13-2010 01:28 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      This thread needs bigger pictures.

9. 12-13-2010 02:53 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by mungee View Post
      Oh and gold is NEVER held as paper or ETF or whatever, if you buy gold you will have it in your possession.

sorry to drag this out from so far back but this is a pretty big misunderstanding. gold futures are very widely traded on COMEX, many people never going to delivery. just today over 100k lots (one lot is 100 oz) of G1 (Feb '11) gold futures traded. Gold derivatives are very actively traded

10. 12-13-2010 02:58 PM #60
      You should go further and explain how a hotel is a good inflation hedge.
      Since Hotels revenue is based upon prices set each night they are not locked into long-term commitments compared to other real estate classes. Room rates can be adjusted daily to keep in-line with current inflation.

BRENT

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan 07 Suzi Swift
      12-13-2010 03:25 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by torxim View Post
      sorry to drag this out from so far back but this is a pretty big misunderstanding. gold futures are very widely traded on COMEX, many people never going to delivery. just today over 100k lots (one lot is 100 oz) of G1 (Feb '11) gold futures traded. Gold derivatives are very actively traded
      They are, but we're suggesting that if you want to own pms as hedge against future "whatever" you're safer to hold them as physical items simply because then YOU'RE in control rather than whoever supposedly holds your mythical paper pms. If things go for a slide what do you think your chances would be of "recovering" your paper pms into the real thing ? That's the issue.

Cheers
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack
      http://www.alexandra.co.nz/

12. 12-13-2010 04:13 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by NZTIGUAN View Post
      They are, but we're suggesting that if you want to own pms as hedge against future "whatever" you're safer to hold them as physical items simply because then YOU'RE in control rather than whoever supposedly holds your mythical paper pms. If things go for a slide what do you think your chances would be of "recovering" your paper pms into the real thing ? That's the issue.

Cheers

if we are talking simply a massive market slide where everything but gold falls off and you decide to cash out of your futures position, unless the bank where you have your clearing account has gone belly up / exchanges are collapsing on themselves then you very much will 'recover' your paper PM investment.

If you are going on the assumption that we are in a total state of anarchy where all banks have collapsed, exchanges don't exist anymore, etc- then yes, your gold futures will be worth nothing- there are a lot of things I would rather have than a bar of gold at that point though

Vehicles
      12-13-2010 04:23 PM #63
      if we are talking simply a massive market slide where everything but gold falls off and you decide to cash out of your futures position, unless the bank where you have your clearing account has gone belly up / exchanges are collapsing on themselves then you very much will 'recover' your paper PM investment.

If you are going on the assumption that we are in a total state of anarchy where all banks have collapsed, exchanges don't exist anymore, etc- then yes, your gold futures will be worth nothing- there are a lot of things I would rather have than a bar of gold at that point though
      NOBODY is suggesting that JUST holding pms is the solution to anything. Personally I believe that a "massive market slide" (your suggestion) WILL deprive "investors" of every cent (or at least most of them) they have in "paper anything" but until it happens nobody knows. My point is still valid, if you have a physical commodity then you have control of it rather than the other way around, and given the choice that's where I would be heading. And by commodity I don't just mean pms but also the "instant" commodities that we all need to stay alive.
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack

14. 12-13-2010 06:32 PM #64
      NOBODY is suggesting that JUST holding pms is the solution to anything. Personally I believe that a "massive market slide" (your suggestion) WILL deprive "investors" of every cent (or at least most of them) they have in "paper anything" but until it happens nobody knows. My point is still valid, if you have a physical commodity then you have control of it rather than the other way around, and given the choice that's where I would be heading. And by commodity I don't just mean pms but also the "instant" commodities that we all need to stay alive.
      For the sake of argument, lets say the "massive market slide" happens that you are referring to. So you have your gold nuggets safely hidden away, but have become quite hungry so you take your gold down to the local A&P to buy some groceries. How would you calculate how much gold to hand over to buy a couple of steaks, a case of beer and a loaf of bread?

Vehicles
      12-13-2010 06:41 PM #65
      Man you are SO thick Riot. Try taking your dollars down and see how far they get you !!

For crying out loud will you READ what's written, I SPECIFICALLY said that pms wasn't the ONLY or even the FIRST thing I would be (have been and am actually) holding as some form of insurance against a possible collapse.

In future I won't be replying to your inane blurted nonsense, you can make up your own answers as you have been doing all along.
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand

16. 12-13-2010 08:09 PM #66
      I SPECIFICALLY said that pms wasn't the ONLY or even the FIRST thing I would be (have been and am actually) holding as some form of insurance against a possible collapse.
      Well then what is the FIRST thing you would be holding as some form of insurance against a possible collapse?

Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE DSG & Lighting (Past: 2012 Golf with Convience / 2007 Jetta)
      12-14-2010 04:06 AM #67
      Originally Posted by mungee
      Oh and gold is NEVER held as paper or ETF or whatever, if you buy gold you will have it in your possession.
      I think what he is implying is that people in India aren't stupid enough to buy derivatives when they can get the real thing.
      It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

18. 12-14-2010 12:51 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by rdubtheislander View Post
      I think what he is implying is that people in India aren't stupid enough to buy derivatives when they can get the real thing.

could you explain when (other than in a total global collapse) holding 1000oz of physical gold would be a benefit to holding say 10 lots of dec '12 gold futures. could you delve into this a bit?

when you buy the physical gold (not on an exchange) you are likely paying over spot price, then add delivery costs, etc. you'll likely want to insure your gold in case of theft, fire, etc, and store it safely paying storage fees. then when you sell it you probably will get under the current spot price unless you deliver on an exchange.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE DSG & Lighting (Past: 2012 Golf with Convience / 2007 Jetta)
      12-14-2010 03:01 PM #69
      could you explain when (other than in a total global collapse) holding 1000oz of physical gold would be a benefit to holding say 10 lots of dec '12 gold futures. could you delve into this a bit?

when you buy the physical gold (not on an exchange) you are likely paying over spot price, then add delivery costs, etc. you'll likely want to insure your gold in case of theft, fire, etc, and store it safely paying storage fees. then when you sell it you probably will get under the current spot price unless you deliver on an exchange.
      We already know that with silver, ETFs are sold upwards of 100 shares per 1 physical ounce. This is common practice because it is never expected that delivery would be demanded by many at the same time.

ETFs are worthless, holding physical metal, real money, is the whole point to investing in PMs. If demand cannot be met, settlements would have to be made in Federal Reserve Notes, the exact opposite of what you would want. This guy explains it pretty well:

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      12-14-2010 03:34 PM #70
      Your Youtube video's progressively look more and more official. Next one will be onset of some dude on A&E's Hoarders.

Vehicles
      6.6L Duramax, 235 Thriftmaster, 2.0 Boxer
      12-14-2010 03:40 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Your Youtube video's progressively look more and more official. Next one will be onset of some dude on A&E's Hoarders.
      Gold hoarders.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      12-14-2010 06:32 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8Tquattro View Post
      Gold hoarders.
      Got a problem with it?

I find it makes fantastic couches, beds, counters, etc etc.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      12-15-2010 03:40 PM #73
      Personally I am investing bottled water and canned food which I can trade for sexual favors in the post apocalyptic world
      Modify your VW online at Dubmodder

24. 12-19-2010 01:48 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Yzerman View Post
      Personally I am investing bottled water and canned food which I can trade for sexual favors in the post apocalyptic world

with a plan like that, you will be sure to get slaughtered like a pig.

25. 12-19-2010 07:28 PM #75
      We already know that with silver, ETFs are sold upwards of 100 shares per 1 physical ounce. This is common practice because it is never expected that delivery would be demanded by many at the same time.
      what silver contract are you referring to that is upwards of 100 lots per oz? Silver contract on COMEX is 5,000 t oz. per contract...

ETFs are worthless, holding physical metal, real money, is the whole point to investing in PMs.
      ETFs are only worthless if you are investing for an apocalypse, which isn't really investing... if you simply want to have gold as a hedge against the dollar, ETFs are the way to go. also you are saying that ETF's aren't "real money" ? can you explain?

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast