Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Valve Body warranty extension (hard shifting)

1. 12-08-2010 07:25 PM #1
      Just got this letter in the mail from VW saying that the warranty on the transmission valve body has been extended to 7 years / 100k miles.

The letter says...

"Volkswagen has received customer complaints of affected vehicles that may experience a hard shift from first to second gear, and also from second to third gear."

This is exactly the problem that has been really irritating me, as well as others, ever since I bought my car back in July of 2007. Though I seem to also have the problem when downshifting in lower gears also, but I assume that its probably also related to the transmission valve body.

Further down the letter it says...

"Additionally, the transmission in your vehicle must have been maintained in accordance with the maintenence requirements found in your vehicle owner's manual."

This second part bothers me a little because even though my car only has 27k miles on it, I've had it for 3.5 years and have never taken it in to have it serviced at the dealership. I have always done the servicing myself. I hope any type of servicing on the transmission hasnt been required up till now. I havent done anything to the transmission yet so I hope that helps.

Did anyone else get this letter? Do you think I would have a problem getting the problem fixed under warranty or would they look at how I have never taken the car in for scheduled maintenence as a problem?

Vehicles
      2006 Tornado Red GTI
      12-08-2010 07:48 PM #2
      That letter would have helped me 30k miles ago lol. I haven't gotten any letter like that but I would think that they would look for any sort of records that youve had it serviced at the dealership.
      Check out my work on RedBubble!
      RedBubble Photos

3. 12-09-2010 10:23 AM #3
      ya but even though I havent had it serviced at the dealership, I also havent done anything to the transmission, so nothing has been done to the transmission outside of the warranty. The letter said the transmission had to be maintained according to the manual but the only thing mentioned in the manual up to 27k miles was to check for transmission fluid leaks at 20k miles.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      12-09-2010 11:08 AM #4
      at 27k youre good.

trannys are to be services every 40k

Vehicles
      Veyron Super Sport
      12-09-2010 11:51 AM #5
      Is this a recall letter? There is a recall going around for the DSG, which is the Open Campaign 37E6. This calls for replacing the mechatronic unit.

If you do not have a DSG, and this is not a recall notice, this is probably just a transmission warranty extension notice.

Just so everyone knows, in order for your transmission warranty, and extension, to be valid, the DSG service that is due at 40k, has to have been done.

6. Member
      12-09-2010 12:04 PM #6
      I just called VWOA and this is true for the 09G Aisian Warner auto 6 speed Transmissions i believe in the earlier years. My 05.5 qualifies for this warranty.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      12-09-2010 12:07 PM #7
      imma call my dealer to wee what up

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      GMC Yukon 2004 Beetle Conv
      12-09-2010 03:06 PM #8
      My wife received a letter today from VW O A (Dec 7th 2010) informing her of an extended warranty and recall to her 2004 bug, the letter states that VW will replace the Automatic transmission Valve body free of charge and at no cost, due to a defect that has been identified.

If your reading this and wondering if its true, VW has seen the light... on this $$$$$$

she has just booked her bug in with the local dealer to schedule the work to be done, VWOA appear to have taken action to this recall, based on a class action law suit being filed by a group of VW owners

Wait for the letter.... then call your dealer right away, hang in there...... its coming

I'll let you know what she she gets the bug back home, probably next week or after xmas

This is great news considering the bug is all but junk, and hasnt moved from drive in the last 6 months due to its bucking bronco attitude.. plus the value will now increase from $500 to $7k

Merry Xmas all, thank you santa
      the duty doc

9. 12-09-2010 06:40 PM #9
      I'm so excited to have this fixed on my car. I hope its not something were they have to duplicate it first before they agree to fix it since it doesnt happen every time the low gears change.

Does anyone know if its a complicated fix? If I schedule an appointment and take it down to the dealer could they have it done in an hour or two or is it something that takes more time?

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      SG Rabbit
      12-09-2010 08:17 PM #10
      is this only for automatic transmissions?
      6000K HIDS: Only $30

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12-10-2010 09:21 AM #11
      Replacing the valve body is a good few hours, I think they probably take the engine and box out of the car complete...which I would say probably takes a couple of hours to get on the floor, then the valve body has to be taken off the gearbox, then replaced and the box bolted back on to the engine bell housing, I'm not sure if the control module needs to be updated, but my guess is this may have the software updated to the latest revision, is this a permanent fix to the issue.... well if its a like for like replacement part (which we dont know yet) it will last about another 40K before going out again, if its a modified valve body (not standard) then it may just cure the issue for the life of the vehicle... remember VW are only doing this because they have had to, (class action law suit) its not that they saw this issue and said, he guys we gotta fix this for all those owners, remember up until yesterday if you took this issue to your dealer, because they new the issue existed they could not identify it as a defect, becuase until VW take ownership its the dealer who has to foot the bill, which they just aint gonna do...

If this is a like for like part replacement, then I think we will part ex this in the summer for something less complex and more reliable.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12-10-2010 09:27 AM #12
      Konsole.... call your dealer/service dpt. as they have to order the part in from VW, they are calling my wife back when the part is stock and to schedule the repair with her...

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
      I'm so excited to have this fixed on my car. I hope its not something were they have to duplicate it first before they agree to fix it since it doesnt happen every time the low gears change.

Does anyone know if its a complicated fix? If I schedule an appointment and take it down to the dealer could they have it done in an hour or two or is it something that takes more time?

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12-10-2010 09:28 AM #13
      Yes, Automatic only....

Quote Originally Posted by l.i. dubbr View Post
      is this only for automatic transmissions?

14. 12-10-2010 12:21 PM #14
      Thats a good point about replacing it with a like part or with a modified part. I hope it is a modified part.

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12-10-2010 01:32 PM #15
      I hope so too Konsole, or this is going to be a short recall, I'm going to ask the service dude when I go along with my Wife to the dealers see if they will tell me if this is a modded part or not, if I will update as soon as I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
      Thats a good point about replacing it with a like part or with a modified part. I hope it is a modified part.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      12-10-2010 01:55 PM #16
      Haven't received a letter yet...

EDIT: It arrived this afternoon. My transmission shifts fine though and I'm at 53,000 miles.
      Last edited by classicjetta; 12-10-2010 at 11:47 PM.

17. n00b
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      12-10-2010 02:24 PM #17
      Just got the letter and called my dealer. Going in on Tuesday.
      Just in time I may add as my 06 rabbit has 92000 miles.
      I've been complaining to them about the hard shift since 30000 miles and they always said it's the way they shift.
      Once, I had a mechanic take it for a drive but since the problem only occurs when the car has been driving for a while, the mechanic saw/felt no problems. The guy at the dealer told me today that he'll have a mechanic take it out but I told him to not bother.
      Should a diagnostic test confirm this problem?

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12-10-2010 03:08 PM #18
      bjork2,

I don't believe that running a diagnostic will show any error codes, because the issue is with the valve body in so much as the defect is related to a reduction in transmission fluid to the Torque Converter (T/C) and this is due to excessive fluid wear through the valve body, running a diagnostic will do little as there is no conditions setup within the software to identify this wear or sensors that would detect the fluid difference to the T/C in other words it has to be monitored by something to know of an issue, and that's the whole reason there is so much controversy about this issue, its not something you can point to in an error code and say "Look, the code says P992 -1 that's excessive valve body wear".

What I would do is get the car warm first before you run it around that's what I'm going to do, but be careful if its snowing or icy, you need to be a aware that it could skid off the road, so maybe leave the engine running for 10-15 idling then even run up and down the parking lot to warm up the T/C and fluid.

Your correct, the defect shows up more when warm than when cold... tell the mechanic this, and make sure to let them know you are not paying for any parts or labor for this recall, make this statement and also write this on the paperwork you get from the service dpt when you drop off the vehicle (leave a cell number stating no chargeable work to be done without consulting owner)

Hope this helps
      the duty doc

Quote Originally Posted by bjork2 View Post
      Just got the letter and called my dealer. Going in on Tuesday.
      Just in time I may add as my 06 rabbit has 92000 miles.
      I've been complaining to them about the hard shift since 30000 miles and they always said it's the way they shift.
      Once, I had a mechanic take it for a drive but since the problem only occurs when the car has been driving for a while, the mechanic saw/felt no problems. The guy at the dealer told me today that he'll have a mechanic take it out but I told him to not bother.
      Should a diagnostic test confirm this problem?

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      12-11-2010 07:21 AM #19
      Thanks Doc!

Quote Originally Posted by thedutydoctor View Post
      bjork2,

I don't believe that running a diagnostic will show any error codes, because the issue is with the valve body in so much as the defect is related to a reduction in transmission fluid to the Torque Converter (T/C) and this is due to excessive fluid wear through the valve body, running a diagnostic will do little as there is no conditions setup within the software to identify this wear or sensors that would detect the fluid difference to the T/C in other words it has to be monitored by something to know of an issue, and that's the whole reason there is so much controversy about this issue, its not something you can point to in an error code and say "Look, the code says P992 -1 that's excessive valve body wear".

What I would do is get the car warm first before you run it around that's what I'm going to do, but be careful if its snowing or icy, you need to be a aware that it could skid off the road, so maybe leave the engine running for 10-15 idling then even run up and down the parking lot to warm up the T/C and fluid.

Your correct, the defect shows up more when warm than when cold... tell the mechanic this, and make sure to let them know you are not paying for any parts or labor for this recall, make this statement and also write this on the paperwork you get from the service dpt when you drop off the vehicle (leave a cell number stating no chargeable work to be done without consulting owner)

Hope this helps
      the duty doc

20. 12-11-2010 07:30 PM #20
      I too have a hard bucking shift from 1st to 2nd gear on my 2005.5 2.5 engine "new jetta" ever since the car was 1 year old.

I was told several times at VW that it was "normal" and that techs did not notice the issue when test driving the jetta.

The car now has 63,000 miles and has a kelly blue book value of $9,000 private sale in my area.

Now VW sends this letter basically admitting that I wasnt crazy after all these years.
      I am afraid after they tinker around with the valve body and etc that the issue wont be resolved and now i will have other issues related to this work.

Anyone here already experience these issues and did the work at a dealer?

I read the job is about $3700.00 for a valve body replacement.
      thanks
      DgB

Dgbrown456@yahoo.com

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      12-11-2010 08:11 PM #21
      3700 to replace the valve body?? you nuts? thats WAY too expensive.

so freaking expensive, that one could buy a new tranny!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '06 Jetta 2.0T 6sp
      12-11-2010 08:17 PM #22
      I've had my '06 2.0T Jetta for ~5k mi so far (37k mi total) and it seems like I have to fight it to go into 2nd and 1st when down shifting. I'm taking it in asap!

Vehicles
      04 20V 91 TAS GTI
      12-12-2010 05:59 AM #23
      my sister has an 07 rabbit and we just got the letter today
      she has broken the pan on the transmission a few months ago and it was welded and refilled with new fluid
      do you guys think they would still replace the TVB the car is still under warranty
      R135
      ╚╬╬╣
      _226

24. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Diesel Rabbit - daily driver
      12-12-2010 10:31 AM #24
      dutydoc..... (or anyone who has some comment ) My 07 Rabbit has the DSG 6 speed transmission. I received the letter two days ago.
      I have less than 20,000 miles on the Rabbit. (it stays in my garage a lot,... my daily driver is an 84 diesel rabbit )

I have not noticed any issues w/ the transmission.... so, my question is: Should I have VW dealership do the work on the Valve Body anyway ?.... or, just hold onto that letter, and wait..... ?

Does this issue show up when the automatic transmission is manually shifted ?.... or, does it show up when shifting in the "auto" (D) mode ? (or both? ) The letter is not clear on this question.

thanks in advance for any guidance

25. 12-12-2010 11:26 AM #25
      I have only noticed it in the automatic transmission mode, but thats probably because I've use the Tiptronic mode for only maybe 2 hours total. I don't recall if it happens in sport mode either. For me it happens about once every 50 times that I transition from higher speeds to lower speeds or vice versa. When going up from low gears it feels as if the transmission wont catch and then abruptly catches causing a harsh jolt. Entering lower gears from higher gears yields a similar jolt, but it feels more like someone just bumped me from behind because they didnt slow down in time. I would say the going up in the gears is when it feels the harshest probably because that is when I am pushing on the gas, but both times it occurs in the lower 2 or 3 gears and when Im driving less then 20 mph. It has never happened in the higher gears and never at speeds above 30 mph or so. So not every time but often enough were I am constantly thinking about it happening when in those low gears.

Whenever someone else is in my car and this problem occurs I have to put on my poker face and act like I'm just a bad driver

LOL I just noticed I joined these forums exactly 1 year after I bought the car.
      Last edited by konsole; 12-12-2010 at 11:29 AM.

26. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12-13-2010 09:37 AM #26
      Mainiac,

Understand your concerns totally, VW screws something up every time the Beetle has been in for a service or a recall, the last was the airbag issue recall, 2 days later the radiator was leaking, and I noticed the drivers side headlight kept falling out, they don't inspire me with very much confidence in anything they do, I remember in the early 80's VW and a Golf GTi was the best car on the road, today I think its been a series of cost savings that's impacted on what VW did well, and that was design and quality.

Back to your question, as far as I can see and this is basically from sitting on, and reading the forums here and on a few other sites, the gearbox goes out any place around 35k - 65k so its probably not going to show up for a while on yours being its only a baby 20k.

The question that needs to be answered, and until we know this definitively we will not really know if this is the right fix, or just a VW patch up job, because without some type of modification (Valve body or Software) maybe even both, this is just delaying the probably cause to occur in the future.

In answer to your question what would I do? (I'd wait and see what the valve body is all about "Standard part or modified part") then decide the best option, for my wife, there is no option this has to be done becuase without some type of resolve the beetle is all but scrap in so much as its certianly un-drivable in wet weather or snow.

Hope this helps, and as soon as I discover the nature of the recall replacement part, I will certainly post this here for all to read and understand the implications.

the duty doc

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
      dutydoc..... (or anyone who has some comment ) My 07 Rabbit has the DSG 6 speed transmission. I received the letter two days ago.
      I have less than 20,000 miles on the Rabbit. (it stays in my garage a lot,... my daily driver is an 84 diesel rabbit )

I have not noticed any issues w/ the transmission.... so, my question is: Should I have VW dealership do the work on the Valve Body anyway ?.... or, just hold onto that letter, and wait..... ?

Does this issue show up when the automatic transmission is manually shifted ?.... or, does it show up when shifting in the "auto" (D) mode ? (or both? ) The letter is not clear on this question.

thanks in advance for any guidance

27. Junior Member Black_ice_florida's Avatar
      Vehicles
      To many , but the current is 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg edition
      12-13-2010 12:45 PM #27
      Funny thing, i got that letter on Friday, called the Aristocrat dealership here in FL and setup and appointment for today, and im here , waiting since 7am and now its almost 1 pm, and still not done. I had kinda similar issues as described in the letter like shifting from 3th to 4th gear and sometimes 1st to 2nd , it all depend from the weather and the miles driven. I hope it will solve the issue and ill be happy again.

Oh man those girls here are hot, especially the MILF's heheh

Happy Holidays

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '06 Jetta 2.0T 6sp
      12-13-2010 05:00 PM #28
      Does anyone have specifics on the warranty extension? I know the OP said 7years/100kmi, but is it only applied to DSG transmissions? Does it apply only to vehicles purchased at a certain time and after?

29. 12-13-2010 05:24 PM #29
      Got the letter on Friday also, have had some "harder" than normal shifts from time to time, and more recently the transmission was feeling kind of "Funky". Combine that with the recent changes to the service intervals on the transmission and i was starting to worry about the longevity of my beautiful and well maintained vehicle. I think i'll be calling up the dealership to setup an appointment, especially if i continue to feel these "jerks" and whatnot as we go forward.

30. 12-13-2010 05:27 PM #30
      asymetrical, this is not for the DSG transmissions but the Tiptronic Automatics. While in the drivers set the transmissions would seem similar, both have Drive, Sport, and Manu-matic modes, the internal operations to achieve these modes is very very different. This "warranty" extension like stated, is for the Tiptronic, and NOT for the DSG.

The letter from VW.

Dear Volkswagen Owner of (your car VIN here)

As part of our ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction, we are pleased to inform you of our decision to extend the warranty that covers the valve body in your vehicle's transmission to 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date. The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator" or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.

What is the problem?
      Volkswagen has received customer complaints of affected vehicles that may experience a hard shift from first to second gear, and also from second to third gear.

What will Volkswagen do?
      Should you ever have an issue with hard shifting as described above due to an issue with the transmission valve body, your authorized Volkswagen dealer will diagnose and repair it at no cost to you, as long as your vehicle is within the time and mileage limit of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter with your Warranty booklet and deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner's manual.

This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and repair of the transmission valve body. ?This warranty extension will not cover any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of parts that alter the performance of the transmission or transmission controls, such as the installation of transmission management components ("chipped" or "tuned" TCMs) not approved by Volkswagen.

ANY REPAIRS THAT ARE (1) NECESSARY FOR PROPER DIAGNOSIS OF THESE OTHER CONDITIONS OR (2) REQUIRED TO BRING THE VEHICLE UP TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS ARE NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY EXTENSION. ADDITIONALLY, THE TRANSMISSION IN YOUR VEHICLE MUST HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS FOUND IN YOUR VEHICLES OWNER'S MANUAL. FOR VERIFICATION PURPOSES, BE SURE TO RETAIN PROOF OF EACH MAINTENANCE ONCE IT HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
      Last edited by flynavyj; 12-13-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      12-13-2010 10:09 PM #31
      guys, after reading a bit of this thread i figured i' check the manual for better info.

as it turns out, you DO NOT need to remove the engine or mostly nothing to get to the valve body on the mkv 2.5.

this is a short procedure overview/ outline

just remove the lower cover (same one you take out when doing the oil changes)
      then, when the tranny fluid is cold, remove the overflow seal. let all the ATF drain.
      once drained, remove the whole cover/plate.
      then remove yet another plate (forgot the name, and i'm to lazy to look up the manual)
      then the valve body is in sight. they say to take very carefull notation on how everything is connected, cause this is where most faults occur. then just unbolt, and unplug (it has many many conectors)

then is just working backwards. but the manual says that you have to be very anal when doing this cause is VERY easy to mess up.

which means, that changing the body isnt that complicated nor that lengthy... it is expensive cause is a VERY delicate procedure, and you need to replace a bunch of single use bolts, along with new ATF and filters (recommended) and then recode the ECU so that the car re-adapts to your driving style.

anyways, i'll call home tomorrow to see if i got my letter.

edit: fixed a word for better understanding.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC-totaled. 84 Rabbit diesel-parted. 06 Jeep Wrangler-sold. 06 Spec.B Legacy-
      12-13-2010 10:30 PM #32
      yeah and thats an awesome DIY and being in a valve body doesnt scare me but even if i pulled all that off the damn thing would still have to go to the dealer to get reprogrammed

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      12-13-2010 10:37 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Shannon28 View Post
      yeah and thats an awesome DIY and being in a valve body doesnt scare me but even if i pulled all that off the damn thing would still have to go to the dealer to get reprogrammed
      i didnt post the "diy" for you to do it. hell, if i were going to make a document for people to follow i'd do it better (tq specs, pics, etc)

the point of it is so that you know what are they doing. seeing that people said that the engine needed to be dropped and isht... so is just a clarification of sorts.

btw, you can program it with vag com, the real issue is refilling the ATF and getting all the "special" tools.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC-totaled. 84 Rabbit diesel-parted. 06 Jeep Wrangler-sold. 06 Spec.B Legacy-
      12-13-2010 11:00 PM #34
      according to this handy website i found, it doesnt say anything about replacing the transmission fluid.

http://www.mittlermotorsports.com/ma...schedules.html

12-13-2010 11:07 PM #35
      I need to look into this. I got my letter today and I've been experiencing the hard shifting for awhile now (I'm at 40k). Is the reprogramming absolutely necessary? I'd like to avoid that since I'm tuned.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast