Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Valve Body warranty extension (hard shifting)

1. 12-20-2010 11:03 AM #76
      I have a VW Beetle. At 70,000 miles he needed a rebuilt transmission. Called VW about this recall the dealership really didn't know what was going on. Of course not! I got my car back from the dealership and almost got into 2 major car accidents when the Valve body malfunction was going on! Of course I didn't take it back to them! I took my car to another shop and $3000.00 later it ran perfect (until something with the gas pump or something went wrong) but as far as transmission it's great now. I called VW of America they are going to reimburse me what it cost for all the work. I sent in all my paper work. I'm so grateful GOD is Awesome!!!

2. Junior Member Black_ice_florida's Avatar
      Vehicles
      To many , but the current is 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg edition
      12-20-2010 11:27 AM #77
      They kept my car and gave me a rental 2010 Jetta, what a piece of crap lol the MK5 are way better build then the MK6. But anyways, they kept it for some test's etc. No charge to me, i hope Hope they will give me a new tranny lol

3. 12-20-2010 12:13 PM #78
      This is getting f-ing ridiculous, I called the VW service dept. that did the valve pack replacement to tell them that the transmission seems to be slipping in 4th gear to 5th gear.

I was told that sounds like a separate issue and that the transmission might have an issue and that that is not covered under this recall.

By the way there is no test that is done to see if your valve body pack needs replacing they just test the transmission and other things and it is done by process of elimination or so i was told by the service dept.

Not very reassuring at all.

If anyone here needs transmission work done that is not covered after the valve body pack work please come back and tell us here.

4. Junior Member Black_ice_florida's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-20-2010 01:22 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by davebee456 View Post
      This is getting f-ing ridiculous, I called the VW service dept. that did the valve pack replacement to tell them that the transmission seems to be slipping in 4th gear to 5th gear.

I was told that sounds like a separate issue and that the transmission might have an issue and that that is not covered under this recall.

By the way there is no test that is done to see if your valve body pack needs replacing they just test the transmission and other things and it is done by process of elimination or so i was told by the service dept.

Not very reassuring at all.

If anyone here needs transmission work done that is not covered after the valve body pack work please come back and tell us here.
      It looks like we have the same issue now. I'm still waiting for them to call me and let me now the details. Ok i have a extended warranty on the tranny and the engine but still this is a joke. Problem caused by one faulty part thats under a re-call like the valve body in this case should be fixed with no cost to the owner , if they try to charge me i will freak out.

Vehicles
      2007 VW 2.5 Jetta Wolfsburg
      12-20-2010 05:11 PM #80
      i called today to the dealer about this. told them mine does it from time to time when decelerating. from a full throttle. or when shift in under acceleration at full throttle. basically when im on it.but its a once inawhile thing. they tell me that i can drop it off they need the car all day. and that if nothing is found or if its a different issue. i have to pay a 105 dollar diagnostic charge. wtf i have a 24,000 bumper to bumper. plus a additional 5 yr power train and engine warranty. i have 54,000 on the car and all is covered till 112,000 how the hell can they even charge me for a diagnostic. i don't get that.cars a 07 jetta 2.5 wolfsburg

6. 12-20-2010 05:22 PM #81
      I am at 110,000 miles on my 05.5 Jetta and obviously past the warranty. I've been having this problem for the past 2 years, but never did anything about it because like others on this post was told by the dealership not to worry about it. Now the problem is getting worst, there is no record through VW stating I was having a problem, so now I am not covered WTF ? This is total crap and VW should fix this. Is anyone else dealing with this?

This is for the recent recall: Transmission Valve Body

thx
      Last edited by geovanni78; 12-20-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      12-20-2010 06:26 PM #82
      I wonder if 40K ATF changes on the '09+ models has anything to do with free maintenance (which was not offered on '08's and older).

BMW did the opposite of this a few years ago. Included free maintenance, but then reduced the amount of "required" services.

Part of me says VW learned from experience that more service was needed, another part of me thinks that they're just playing a shell game with '09+ owners.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

8. 12-20-2010 10:19 PM #83
      i recenlt recieved this same warranty extension letter a few days ago, and in fact i have hard shifting and from 3 to 2nd sometimes is quite scary. actually it has always shifted the same, save for the downshift, so i didnt really realize until i got the letter.

The question is if this is not fixed, what would the long(er) term effects be....?
      i was thinking it would a shortened lifespan on the tranny. but since everyone has slightly defferent experiences with the problem at hand, i doubt anyone can gauge what the life expectancy may be.
      i am asking because i missed the 40k trans fluid/filter. It was about halfway through the list in my manual after about 5 or 6 things i dont have, so i kinda glossed over it thinking i didnt have the dsg . So i am doubtful i can get it taken care of with the extended warranty, although i will certainly try.

i have an 07 rabbit with 60000 on it. and if i cant get it covered due to being an idiot i am trying to determine my option for keeping or trading in and getting something else. I love this car, and its freaking awesome in the snow.

thanks in advance

9. Junior Member Black_ice_florida's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-20-2010 11:04 PM #84
      I called the dealer to get the status on my Jetta and surprise, need a new tranny YAYYY. What a great day. Well guys get it fixed ASAP , the old valve body will kill ur tranny. It was to late for mine. But at least im getting a new free tranny

Vehicles
      2013 Audi A4 2.0T quattro
      12-21-2010 08:51 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post
      I wonder if 40K ATF changes on the '09+ models has anything to do with free maintenance (which was not offered on '08's and older).

BMW did the opposite of this a few years ago. Included free maintenance, but then reduced the amount of "required" services.

Part of me says VW learned from experience that more service was needed, another part of me thinks that they're just playing a shell game with '09+ owners.
      Typical VW backpedaling with service. You'd think they would learn after all those 1.8Ts sludging up.
      The Nice Car:
      2013 Ibis White Audi A4 quattro 2.0T - Have HEX+CAN VCDS, PM Me

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
      1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      GMC Yukon 2004 Beetle Conv
      12-21-2010 09:47 AM #86
      bjork2, and everyone in the group...
      I talked to the senior mechanic at the VW dealer yesterday morning when we took in the beetle, I think he was a little put a back by the questions I was throwing, but in essence here is what I discovered, the valve body is indeed a non-standard part and it has been modified by what the understand is the issue and the wear aspects we have been experiencing, when the VB is replaced the engine/transmission computer has to be reprogrammed for different perammeters which has changed in the fluid transfer/pressure and flow, he also told me this is something that has to be done carefully and correctly.

They began the change out yesterday afternoon (Valve Body) the re-programming and testing will be done this afternoon, this is the first VB they have changed so this tells me its a fairly complex software tweak that has to be done by VWOA via the VAG active network, OK so I'll let you know when we get the beetle back,.... the good.... the bad and the ugly of all this.

the duty doc

Quote Originally Posted by bjork2 View Post
      Going in on the 28th!

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      12-21-2010 11:10 AM #87
      I've got the exact same hard shift from 1st -> 2nd with my 09' GTI and it's been there from day 1 and I've had the car since new.

I've had the car in many times, yet it never wants to do it when I've got a tech with me. Maybe this will serve as notice for the 09's as well, as all of my dealer visits are documented.

It's be nice to get this sorted out...
      even at your best as a man, you couldn't equal half of me - Sully Erna/Godsmack

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" w/H&R Ultra lows; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI; APR HPFP; APR TBE; Neuspeed HI-FLO TOP; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings...

13. 12-21-2010 01:41 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by 845ryders View Post
      i called today to the dealer about this. told them mine does it from time to time when decelerating. from a full throttle. or when shift in under acceleration at full throttle. basically when im on it.but its a once inawhile thing. they tell me that i can drop it off they need the car all day. and that if nothing is found or if its a different issue. i have to pay a 105 dollar diagnostic charge. wtf i have a 24,000 bumper to bumper. plus a additional 5 yr power train and engine warranty. i have 54,000 on the car and all is covered till 112,000 how the hell can they even charge me for a diagnostic. i don't get that.cars a 07 jetta 2.5 wolfsburg
      This is basically the same result that I ended up with. We couldnt duplicate the issue in a short test drive and they wanted to charge me $99 if they ran the tests back at the shop and couldnt find any problems. I thought about having them do the tests but then I remembered reading that this issue doesnt show up as an error so I said no thanks to the tests and left a little aggrevated.

What I basically got out of my trip was that they know there is a problem and they believe me that I am having that problem, but they wont fix the problem unless they can duplicate it in their inadequate tests. I told the guy that the best way to duplicate the issue is to drive the car on a longer test drive, but I couldnt convince him to do that.

I think what I am going to do is send an email to VWOA and ask them what I can do about this.

14. 12-21-2010 02:01 PM #89
      I just sent this email to VW, lets see what their response is.....

"Hi, recently I received the letter from VWOA about the warranty extension on the Transmission Valve Body due to hard shifting in the lower gears. I am experiencing the issue written in the letter so I took the car to the dealership were I bought the car from 3.5 years ago. They could not duplicate the issue in a 5-10 minute test drive so they said they could run some tests. Just so you know the problem is sporadic so a short 5-10 minute test drive most likely wont duplicate the problem. From what I have read this issue does not show up as an error on the tests so I was going to be charged $99 from them to run the tests that yield no errors. So i am stuck now with this problem that the dealership can't duplicate with its inadequate tests. I don't want to let this problem continue any longer for fear of what other damage it may be causing. Is there anything you can do for me?"

15. 12-21-2010 02:05 PM #90
      Sigh. Problem are problem. Next time i will stick to a Honda.

Vehicles
      2007 VW 2.5 Jetta Wolfsburg
      12-21-2010 06:34 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
      I just sent this email to VW, lets see what their response is.....

"Hi, recently I received the letter from VWOA about the warranty extension on the Transmission Valve Body due to hard shifting in the lower gears. I am experiencing the issue written in the letter so I took the car to the dealership were I bought the car from 3.5 years ago. They could not duplicate the issue in a 5-10 minute test drive so they said they could run some tests. Just so you know the problem is sporadic so a short 5-10 minute test drive most likely wont duplicate the problem. From what I have read this issue does not show up as an error on the tests so I was going to be charged $99 from them to run the tests that yield no errors. So i am stuck now with this problem that the dealership can't duplicate with its inadequate tests. I don't want to let this problem continue any longer for fear of what other damage it may be causing. Is there anything you can do for me?"
      ya i took your lead emailed vwoa. this is bull what i can't get is how they can charge me. i have 24,000 mile bumper to bumper. and 5yr engine and powertrain. lol that just doesn't seem tight.

17. 12-22-2010 09:39 AM #92
      This is basically the same result that I ended up with. We couldnt duplicate the issue in a short test drive and they wanted to charge me $99 if they ran the tests back at the shop and couldnt find any problems. I thought about having them do the tests but then I remembered reading that this issue doesnt show up as an error so I said no thanks to the tests and left a little aggrevated.

What I basically got out of my trip was that they know there is a problem and they believe me that I am having that problem, but they wont fix the problem unless they can duplicate it in their inadequate tests. I told the guy that the best way to duplicate the issue is to drive the car on a longer test drive, but I couldnt convince him to do that.

I think what I am going to do is send an email to VWOA and ask them what I can do about this.
      My suggestion to you is to get the diagnostic done, or ensure your service person records on their database that you are having problems with the shifting of gears.

I had my 05.5 Jetta diagnosed after the warranty letter and confirmed in fact it was the Transmission valve body. My car has 110,000 miles so i'm 10,000 miles outside of the warranty.
      side note (At ~75K miles I took the jetta for an oil change and mentioned the jerky issue I was having, the service person stated "VW's are known for their transmission, I wouldn't worry about it".)

The dealership had me call VW customer care. I called and pleated my case, and because there was nothing written down at the dealership stating I complained about it, I am now SOL . VW will not cover the work, and on top of that the faulty part is degrading the transmission.

I can't believe that it took VW 5 years to come out with this letter, and expect that 05 owners are still within their 7 year 100K warranty extension. I can guarantee that I will never in my life buy another VW, and will look into getting rid of my Jetta ASAP.

18. 12-22-2010 12:35 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by geovanni78 View Post
      My suggestion to you is to get the diagnostic done, or ensure your service person records on their database that you are having problems with the shifting of gears.

I had my 05.5 Jetta diagnosed after the warranty letter and confirmed in fact it was the Transmission valve body. My car has 110,000 miles so i'm 10,000 miles outside of the warranty.
      side note (At ~75K miles I took the jetta for an oil change and mentioned the jerky issue I was having, the service person stated "VW's are known for their transmission, I wouldn't worry about it".)

The dealership had me call VW customer care. I called and pleated my case, and because there was nothing written down at the dealership stating I complained about it, I am now SOL . VW will not cover the work, and on top of that the faulty part is degrading the transmission.

I can't believe that it took VW 5 years to come out with this letter, and expect that 05 owners are still within their 7 year 100K warranty extension. I can guarantee that I will never in my life buy another VW, and will look into getting rid of my Jetta ASAP.
      Do you happen to know what test they ran that yielded the result of faulty valve body so I can make sure my service tech runs that test? Also how severe was your shifting problem before they ran the test? I'd assume that the less frequent/severe the harsh shifting the less likely the test will produce the result I'm looking for. For me the harsh shifting happens about once every hour or so of driving.

19. 12-22-2010 12:47 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post

20. 12-22-2010 08:38 PM #95
      i took my car in for the ignition coil recall and told them about the shifting problem.

went back to pick it up and they said they couldnt duplicate the problem and since my car would still under warranty till the 100k to take it back when it got worse

21. Junior Member Black_ice_florida's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-22-2010 10:50 PM #96
      Mine transmission needed to be replaced so im telling you guys ,the valve body will damage ur tranny. I spoke with a tech who did the job and he told me thats not ok at all to drive the car with the hard shifting / hitting in the gears. I drove it for 30k like that before i got the letter and the result was a new tranny . Well i did complained before bout that but the answer was " thats normal " WTF .

Get them to replace the VB ASAP

22. 12-23-2010 01:05 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Black_ice_florida View Post
      Mine transmission needed to be replaced so im telling you guys ,the valve body will damage ur tranny. I spoke with a tech who did the job and he told me thats not ok at all to drive the car with the hard shifting / hitting in the gears. I drove it for 30k like that before i got the letter and the result was a new tranny . Well i did complained before bout that but the answer was " thats normal " WTF .

Get them to replace the VB ASAP
      Easier said then done when they cant duplicate the issue and they wont fix it based on my word combined with a written letter from VW for a warranty extension on a known problem. I'm really looking forward to walking into a VW dealership and showing them a letter from VWOA saying that the fix is fully covered.
      Last edited by konsole; 12-23-2010 at 01:11 PM.

23. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      GMC Yukon 2004 Beetle Conv
      12-23-2010 01:58 PM #98
      Konsole,

Try another dealer, any questions say your in the area visiting and its hard shifting, I ran my wifes beetle for 35 miles to make sure when I took it in hot, it was lurching.

They also commented on the $99 aspect and I said sure I will pay this if its not the valve body, but I had them write on the issues list that the customer has to be contacted in the event any other work is carried out, NOTE CUSTOMER WILL NOT PAY ANY MORE $$ FOR AN ALREADY BROKEN BEETLE.

They agreed, later that morning they called my wife and said the mechanic had take the beetle out and had experienced the hard shifting and the valve body was being replaced under the extended warranty.

It took just over a day to repair it, but its back home and its driving like a brand new beetle....according to the wife she now feels safe and doesnt want to sell it now that its repaired, it had spent the last 13 months on the drive without being used becuase of the risk of injury or death...

Keep trying, and try another dealer,
      also worth trying local radio stations and news papers, this usually gets attention, this was my last resort after I added its issues to the NTSB website for defective and dangerous issues on vehicles, this website is getting a lot of coverage and once its on (VIN #) along with the likes of Toyota's in full throttle run offs

Easier said then done when they cant duplicate the issue and they wont fix it based on my word combined with a written letter from VW for a warranty extension on a known problem. I'm really looking forward to walking into a VW dealership and showing them a letter from VWOA saying that the fix is fully covered.

24. 12-28-2010 03:42 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
      Typical VW backpedaling with service. You'd think they would learn after all those 1.8Ts sludging up.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta
      12-29-2010 01:15 AM #100
      Lots of VW and dealership bashing here but nothing constructive. This took me about 5 minutes to find.

For those of you that are out of warranty, look into this. The parts is only about $80. The TCC solenoid acts up. At low speed, the TCC is modulated thus giving the rough shift. As speed is increased, TCC is closed, trans shifts smoothly.
      http://www.sonnax.com/system/assets/...pdf?1289884187
      Last edited by Legendre; 12-29-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast