Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: jetta speedometer problem

1. 12-12-2010 07:19 PM #1
      Ok so yesterday I was on a trip downstate in my 2003 jetta 2.slow, and on the interstate I was cruising around 70mph on cruise control when all of the sudden my car started to accelerate quickly and then decelerate and repeat, so I shut off the cruise control and was just cruising on my own when I looked down at the speedometer and it was just hovering around 70mph waving back and forth and not showing my actual speed. When I slowed down to around 60mph the speedometer would go back to working just fine but any time I hit more then 70mph it goes right back to not working correctly and waving back and forth. I'm thinking the problem with the speedometer is the same problem that is affecting my cruise control making it accelerate very quickly and decelerate quickly. Also no other instruments on my cluster have had any problems but the speedometer.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know what could be causing it? thanks in advance.

2. 12-12-2010 08:01 PM #2
      thanks for the reply, I found a possible fix on a TDI forum from someone who had a beetle that had the same problem. Seems that it may just be a signal wire to the speedometer that is not getting a good connection, thus causing all of my problems

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 2.Slo
      12-12-2010 08:01 PM #3
      Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). It's on top of the transmission, and if I recall correctly they're not too expensive.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta 2.0
      02-21-2011 09:43 PM #4
      im having the exact same problem!!!!! have you found out what the problem was? is the VSS the same as the transmission speed sensor? do you have a part number or anything?

Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      02-21-2011 09:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
      im having the exact same problem!!!!! have you found out what the problem was? is the VSS the same as the transmission speed sensor? do you have a part number or anything?
      Quote Originally Posted by linchpin.666 View Post
      Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). It's on top of the transmission, and if I recall correctly they're not too expensive.
      this

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta 2.0
      02-21-2011 10:17 PM #6
      Thank you but im still curious if the VSS and a transmission speed sensor are the same thing? Part number? Any pics of location on the top of the transmission ... any and all help is really appreciated!

7. 08-08-2013 08:48 AM #8
      Hey I am having the exact same problem with my Beetle speedo. I was wondering if you ever got it fixed. We have tried the speed sensor replacement with no luck.