VWVortex.com - Can anyone create and print a 3D model?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone create and print a 3D model?

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-13-2010 09:37 AM #1
      Hey everybody! I'm not new to the Vortex, but this is my first time in the Art and Design section...

I'm looking for someone who can create a relatively simple 3D model for my wedding cake topper and maybe recommend a place to print it. The only 3D printer I have ever seen has been at APR and I'm pretty sure that they have better things to do... (But if you APR guys are reading *ahem* , we would LOVE to have an APR built wedding topper! ) We have a basic (smaller) model of it, so im guessing it could be (3D) scanned, edited, and enlarged, OR just modeled from scratch.

Does anyone on here do that kind of work? Or do you know of a place to get it done??? There seem to be a couple places online that will print it, but none that will model it, Plus, I would much rather work with someone directly.

Thanks to all in advance!
      Last edited by richard_rsp; 12-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.

2. 12-13-2010 07:53 PM #2
      Post a picture of what you want. 3D printing is typically not going to be cheap. Some people might have access to one at work or an architecture student (like me) or an engineering student could also have one at school. My school is too cheap to buy one but depending on what you're trying to model I might be able to help you out.

Vehicles
      11' CC, 94' NSX
      12-13-2010 08:30 PM #3
      I have a makerbot that can print things 3"x3"x4" in abs plastic. I just have had troubles connecting my computer to it. I'm hoping to get it working before the year is over. If I can get it done I'll print it for you for cheap. My brother might be able to model it if he still has the programs.
      Current Stable: 11 CC, 94 NSX
      Gone but not Forgotten: 88 M5, 69 MG, 98 Golf, 07 GTI, 10 CC, 13 Mustang GT, 90 Miata Turbo, 99 528iT, 87 325is, 58 Lincoln Premiere

DIYautoFTW Your online build and DIY resource

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-13-2010 11:12 PM #4
      Wow, thanks guys! Any help would be greatly appreciated! We arent getting married till March, so we have a little time...

We are looking to make a larger "LIFE" game piece car with the little pink and blue pegs... (maybe throw a tiny little VW logo on the hood.... I am thinking that the 3"x 3" x 4" would be perfect! I will work on getting our game board out and taking some pictures of the piece.

Thanks again!

Vehicles
      multiple miatae & air-cooled stuff
      12-14-2010 12:14 AM #5
      This is what I do for a living, but I don't have the time to model it up.
      I do, however, have some older material and machine time I can 'donate' for the cause.

Would you object to having to paint it? the Blue I have is too dark, and the red is red, not pink. I can print it out in a light color like white or yellow and you can hit it with some Krylon.

If someone wants to make the model up and send me a nice resolution .stl, I could knock this out by the weekend.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-14-2010 08:36 AM #6
      Wow that would be awesome!!! Thank you! No problem painting it, kinda figured I would have to do that anyway...

You guys are fantastic!

Edit:
      Here are some pictures I grabbed off the net of what I am trying to accomplish. It is only my future wife and I, so two pegs are all that are needed....

Last edited by richard_rsp; 12-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.

7. 12-14-2010 07:16 PM #9
      Now the question is what format does Vortexblue need it to be? Might even be able to find one already done online. Let me know and if it is a format supported by 3ds Max then I can see if I have time to throw something together.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-14-2010 09:46 PM #10
      Wow, thank you RU Wolf!

(Actually, a big thank all you guys again!.. We appreciate this help SO much!)

I looked online, but Im not familiar with all of the 3D model formats and databases....

I believe that Vortexblue said it needs to be in .STL (Stereolithic) format, which i believe is a CAD drawing... from what I could Google, 3ds Max appears to be able to export to .STL format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is something we both have wanted for our wedding, but were not sure how we were going to accomplish it!

Vehicles
      12-14-2010 10:08 PM #11
      Right. A .stl file is what I need.

It's a generic file format that lots of programs can 'save as'.

I quickly searched on 3dcontentcentral, but couldn't find the game piece-- but I did find a old SUV that looked close. It was too detailed, tho--- the time taken to dumb it down could be spent modeling the thing from scratch.

*edit*, when I print this thing out, I'm putting enough extra 'pegs' in so you can fill the car with kids as the years pass...

This is the car I think I remember... check out the drop top:
      Last edited by vortexblue; 12-14-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-14-2010 10:46 PM #12
      Hmmm, kid pegs.... Do they make cat and dog pegs??? lol!

About the droptop; thats the cars that I remember, too!.. When I was looking for pictures of game pieces, all i saw were the newer SUV/Wagon things... I gave up on looking for the droptop once i realized that the new pieces more resemble our Jetta Sportwagen...

Either piece would be fine, though...

You guys are incredible!

11. 12-15-2010 12:14 AM #13
      Found these. The first I think is the best if I just remove the brush guard and cut the holes for the pieces. The second is more cartoonish but kind of funny. If any of that works then no problem.

Last edited by RU wolf; 12-15-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-15-2010 09:04 AM #14
      Hmmm Cant see the cartoony one. (Probably the filters here on my work computer.)

The one with the brush guard looks very similar! Is there anyway to add the peg holes to the top before its printed? I would worry about messing something up trying to drill it afterwards... (and I would feel HORRIBLE if I messed all of this work up!)

Also, if its any help, if there is a Jetta Sportwagen model out there already existing, we'd be ok with just having it with the holes and pegs in the top. It doesn't have to be exactly like the LIFE pieces, just a bonus if it is!

Again, thank you all for your work on this! We are so excited!!!

Vehicles
      12-15-2010 09:53 AM #15
      You have a Jetta Wagon cad model?

do you have a link?

We'll add the holes in the roof before printing.

14. 12-15-2010 10:32 AM #16
      Putting in the holes is no problem at all. I put them on the cartoon one but found the other one right before I posted so I didn't edit it at all. Also I forgot to do a VW logo which shouldn't be an issue either. Let me know if you find the Jetta wagon

Vehicles
      12-15-2010 10:51 AM #17
      I grabbed a sideview of a sportwagon and came up with this:

The goal here is not super-realistic, more like a game piece, right? I'll add the windows and some curves here and there, but I think we need to keep it 'blocky' and 'game-piecy'.

Also, what year are you getting married? I'll stick it on the bottom (I don't think it'll show up well on the plate when we print it off)
      Last edited by vortexblue; 12-15-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-15-2010 11:16 AM #18
      OMG that is fantastic!!!

Yes, more like the LIFE gamepiece than the actual car... that sounds perfect!

We are getting married March 12, 2011

This is so exciting! You guys are really going above and beyond on this... not sure how to thank you enough!

Wow!

Vehicles
      12-15-2010 02:57 PM #19
      Do you have a maximum size?

If I make it about 2" tall, it's 2.75" wide and 6.7" long!
      That may be too long...

Let me know, I'll work on it in a little bit.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-15-2010 04:26 PM #20
      Wow, thats long!

There is no maximum size (as long as it doesnt overlap a 9" diameter cake!) but it would probably fit the best around 4.5 -5" in length... but honestly, any size would be great, whatever is easiest. We will gladly change around our display any way needed to fit this masterpiece!

Thank you again!
      Last edited by richard_rsp; 12-15-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Vehicles
      12-15-2010 05:37 PM #21

Here's what I've got so far.

I can't decide if I like the blocky first one or the smoother 2nd one better. I kinda think it looks like a Corrado in some pics and a 90's Civic Si in others...

The black lines won't be there and the sharp lines will be softened up some with the print.

**to others that will come in and hate on this: I know it's not accurate; but it's free.

It's about a 22hr build with 8 people...

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-15-2010 10:04 PM #22
      Awesome! Between the blocky and softer model, I think the blocky one looks more like a LIFE game piece and is more what I had in mind... however, Either one would be wonderful!

Just curious: What do you mean by 22hr build with 8 people? Do you mean that it takes 22 hours to print ?!? If so, WOW! I had no clue how much time these things took!

I really appreciate you taking this much of your spare time to work on this project... you have really gone above and beyond what I was expecting!

Vehicles
      12-15-2010 10:46 PM #23
      No problem, I need the practice with Solidworks - and I have hoarded all the leftover cartridges for the Dimension machines... I need to clean them up and blow-thru a bunch of material.

Yep, 22 hrs with 1 car standing upright (for better resolution) and 8 pegs (incase you break one or 2). It would go a lot quicker if I set it horizontally, or if I ran it in one of the newer/faster/bigger machines - but you get what you get.

It's not a big deal. I'll set it to print on a Friday night and when I come in on monday, I have parts.

The smooth one actually started as the blocky one, I just took it further. The window is cut all the way through as a throwback to the 'drop top' early game piece.

I'll probably print them both off and see how they come out. I may do one for me and my kid, too.

**edit: here's a link to the company I work for: http://cimquest-inc.com/dimension.html

Your model will be printed on an older SST768-- it uses a flat-finished ABS plastic. The newer machines use ABS that is stronger and more flexible- it also has more of a satin finish.
      The big Fortus machines can use all sorts of materials and have a huge build area, but that's overkill for what you need.
      Last edited by vortexblue; 12-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      12-15-2010 11:10 PM #24
      Wow you werent exaggerating about you doing this for a living! (Seeing all of this awesome work really makes me think about going back for a 2nd degree in design... )

If there is anything we can do to help spread the word of your work or company, please let us know!

Vehicles
      12-15-2010 11:33 PM #25
      I don't do design, I just press buttons.

I do installs/ training/ repair for the Dimension machines, and training/ helpdesk for some of the other software. I do enjoy Solidworks, tho... there's so much to learn.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast