VWVortex

Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R in Canada Thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta,11 Rline CC, 11 Jetta sportwagon TDI
      05-02-2011 05:57 PM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by afretes View Post
      I know we are getting 500 in Canada, and I do work for a dealer. My understanding, at least in ON is that quite a few dealer's allocations are already gone.
      One of my previous posts said that Northland in Calgary has at least 4 allocations left and I recently found out that he has 2-3 other dealerships from rural areas that will be wanting to trade their single car for something that sells better in their market.

2. 05-04-2011 10:03 AM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by GUTTERDUB View Post
      One of my previous posts said that Northland in Calgary has at least 4 allocations left and I recently found out that he has 2-3 other dealerships from rural areas that will be wanting to trade their single car for something that sells better in their market.
      I can see that happening, smaller dealers trading their allocations. I do have some left, I think 3 or 4 available.
      Alex Fretes
      Fleet Manager ABS Audi - VW
      Audi of Mississauga - Bramgate VW
      C: 647-984-2834
      Email me for more details on VWs and Audis

3. 05-06-2011 04:22 PM #278
      The more I look at pictures and think about this car, the more I realize it really doesn't look right without the LED tail lights. I can understand not including the Recaro seats, DSG or 2-door as they are much more costlier decisions. The LED tail lights on the other hand only cost $750 retail, from non-dealership sources. If you offset that with the cost of the non-LED lights, the difference really can't be more than $400.

In Canada, we do not have to obtain U.S. Department of Transporation (DOT) approval for lights. According to Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038)
      Lighting System and Retroreflective Devices (Standard 108):

(5) All the information regarding every type of bulb and every type of sealed beam lamp used in lighting equipment required by this section shall be

(a) specified for the type of bulb or sealed beam lamp in

(i) a standard or recommended practice issued by the SAE,

(ii) a regulation issued by the ECE, or

(iii) a standard issued by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC); or

(b) provided by the vehicle manufacturer to the Minister, at the Minister’s request.
      Last I checked, Germany participates in the ECE standards and Volkswagen is a member of SAE (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I know our allotment of 500 cars in Canada is largely dependent on VWoA, but here is where I am asking that you as a Sales Agent/Dealership step up and do something for your loyal customers. Please speak up on our behalf and help bring over the LED tail lights.

If you can not make the LED tails a standard option, I would kindly ask that you give it to us Canadian customers as an upgrade option at a reasonable price to cover difference in cost and labour (i.e. $300-$400). You can keep the non-LED tail lights and use them for Golf/GTI cars and I'm sure the LED tail lights you don't upgrade to Golf R buyers will easily be purchased by other GTI owners.

As a professional who has worked in the loyalty marketing industry for several years, I can not stress enough the importance of customer engagement. It is very difficult to build but should be easy to maintain. This is one of those decisions that can damage customer engagement. Please don't make that mistake because of US regulations.

I know I should be patient and wait for official specifications to be released. However, I feel that if I do not speak up in time, I will lose the window of opportunity for Volkwagen Canada dealers to act on our behalf. I fear it may already be too late.

To everyone on a waiting list, please email this to your VW dealer. Even if the LED tail lights won't change your purchase decision, you should still have a choice on something that would equate to roughly 1% of the Golf R's cost.

Thanks

Vehicles
      WOB 012[R]
      05-06-2011 05:53 PM #279
      LED Tails are getting cheaper and more available as we wait

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=1176

By the time the cars arrive Im sure you will be able to buy OEM plug and play for around $500
      H&R Street coilovers and upgraded sway bars, Unitronic Stage 2 HPFP, Milltek TBE, BBS, VW.:Racing CAI, Autotech HPFP, CTS FMIC, HPA BBK, Diesel Geek SSK. Aasco Motorsports aluminium flywheel, Bully Stg 3 clutch, Haldex Race controller.
      SEM Motorsports 416-636-7575. Toronto. Simply Tire 416-916-9233.

5. 05-09-2011 02:26 AM #280
      Is it confirmed what type of transmission is to be in the R for Canada?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8T
      05-09-2011 07:55 AM #281
      Quote Originally Posted by northerns4 View Post
      Is it confirmed what type of transmission is to be in the R for Canada?
      6MT only. See the order guide posted on page 5 of this thread.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      05-09-2011 10:15 AM #282
      Quote Originally Posted by mjl_toronto View Post
      I know our allotment of 500 cars in Canada is largely dependent on VWoA, but here is where I am asking that you as a Sales Agent/Dealership step up and do something for your loyal customers. Please speak up on our behalf and help bring over the LED tail lights.

If you can not make the LED tails a standard option, I would kindly ask that you give it to us Canadian customers as an upgrade option at a reasonable price to cover difference in cost and labour (i.e. $300-$400). You can keep the non-LED tail lights and use them for Golf/GTI cars and I'm sure the LED tail lights you don't upgrade to Golf R buyers will easily be purchased by other GTI owners.

As a professional who has worked in the loyalty marketing industry for several years, I can not stress enough the importance of customer engagement. It is very difficult to build but should be easy to maintain. This is one of those decisions that can damage customer engagement. Please don't make that mistake because of US regulations.

I know I should be patient and wait for official specifications to be released. However, I feel that if I do not speak up in time, I will lose the window of opportunity for Volkwagen Canada dealers to act on our behalf. I fear it may already be too late.

To everyone on a waiting list, please email this to your VW dealer. Even if the LED tail lights won't change your purchase decision, you should still have a choice on something that would equate to roughly 1% of the Golf R's cost.

Thanks
      Doesn't the Touareg have them now!? IMO not having the LED tails is a big step back in styling and doesn't really make any sense. Just include them for the North American version! I would rather put the extra $500-$750 towards new wheels than replacing a part where I couldn't even sell the NON LED tails.

I also think by emailing your dealer will really do nothing at all. hopefully VWOC is following these forums

'83 GTi (gone) | '90 Corrado (gone) | '96 GTi VR6 (gone) | '08 GTi (gone) | '12 R

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      05-09-2011 12:07 PM #283
      Quote Originally Posted by SHO'NUFF View Post
      Doesn't the Touareg have them now!? IMO not having the LED tails is a big step back in styling and doesn't really make any sense. Just include them for the North American version! I would rather put the extra $500-$750 towards new wheels than replacing a part where I couldn't even sell the NON LED tails.

I also think by emailing your dealer will really do nothing at all. hopefully VWOC is following these forums
      I totally agree! The LED tail lights are very much one of the defining features of the Golf R that sets it apart from the std Golf and GTI. We're already not getting the 19" wheel option and lower euro suspension...do they really need to decontent this car even more? I understand if its a legal issue...but if its true about the tails already meeting approvals/certifications in Canada (even if they're not DOT approved for US), then the Canadian golf R's not getting them is simply inexcusable.

9. 05-09-2011 01:39 PM #284

Not sure if Touareg have them or not. If they do, even less reason for VWoC to not include them.

You're right, emailing the dealer may do nothing. But we're their direct customers, so they have to communicate with us. If we aren't satisfied, it'll impact the dealers more than VWoC. Therefore, putting pressure on the dealers to speak on our behalf may be more impactful than us sending emails to a generic VWoC email address. Personally, I'm doing both.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2011 06:56 PM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by milksteaks View Post
      I totally agree! The LED tail lights are very much one of the defining features of the Golf R that sets it apart from the std Golf and GTI. We're already not getting the 19" wheel option and lower euro suspension...do they really need to decontent this car even more? I understand if its a legal issue...but if its true about the tails already meeting approvals/certifications in Canada (even if they're not DOT approved for US), then the Canadian golf R's not getting them is simply inexcusable.
      I agree with the LED tails, but a Golf R is way more then a standard one/GTI then just the taillights. AWD,Ko4,Sexy exhaust note, stylish seats/HP..HP/Tourque....etc etc. This is in no way a deal breaker for me.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      05-09-2011 09:44 PM #286
      Quote Originally Posted by GUTTERDUB View Post
      I agree with the LED tails, but a Golf R is way more then a standard one/GTI then just the taillights. AWD,Ko4,Sexy exhaust note, stylish seats/HP..HP/Tourque....etc etc. This is in no way a deal breaker for me.
      Agreed... definitely not a deal breaker for me either. I fear VWoC recognizes this as well and will give us the Golf R sans the LED taillights realizing they will easily sell the 500 units with or without the LED tails.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Too many to list
      05-09-2011 10:58 PM #287
      Quote Originally Posted by milksteaks View Post
      Agreed... definitely not a deal breaker for me either. I fear VWoC recognizes this as well and will give us the Golf R sans the LED taillights realizing they will easily sell the 500 units with or without the LED tails.
      Therein lies the problem. I somehow doubt that mother VW will do different tail lights on less than 10% of the Rs coming to N. America, especially when that 10% will most likely be completely spoken for by the time production starts, if it isn't already all taken. For any single depositor who will break this deal simply because of tail lights, I think there will be several others willing to jump in to take it. With that, what kind of pressure do you think would convince VW to succumb to those few who demand LED lights in the butt?
      PS. My source indicates that there are only 300 coming to Canada, but that's semantics. 300 or 500 - it's not a whole lot either way.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2011 10:41 AM #288
      Hmm interesting about the 300, I thought it had been confirmed at 500...either way I am pretty sure it's a done deal for me.

I would think if enough of the orders from Canada would be willing to pay the difference on the LED's you would think VWoC would make it so.

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 passat v6
      05-28-2011 11:56 AM #289
      Just seen the golf R on friday at vwoc in ajax with german plates. Was told car was to showcase
      to dealers. look and sounded great

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      05-28-2011 02:02 PM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by vw777 View Post
      Just seen the golf R on friday at vwoc in ajax with german plates. Was told car was to showcase
      to dealers. look and sounded great
      Any more info regarding how we can get a glimpse of the car? Is this open to the general public or only dealer?

16. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 passat v6
      05-29-2011 09:24 PM #291
      Not sure if you can see the car. Was only there for training

17. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      06-04-2011 03:22 PM #292
      Quote Originally Posted by bdm001 View Post
      I put my deposit with VW Northland several weeks ago and yesterday got a phone call with the same news "It is probably going to be delayed till April, May but most likely June 2012".... but again, nothing is confirmed. They also told me that after the Calgary Autoshow they may have more info....

I really want this car but it is hard that they'll be sitting on my deposit for more than a year till I get the car. If they actually confirm this dates probably I'll be out

As soon as I have something new I'll post it
      Well, now there will be an R available from Northland. Got tired of waiting and got my deposit transfered to a 2011 GTI, which I'll pick up today.

18. 06-06-2011 11:07 PM #293
      LOL... Currently holding the 1st deposit at Northland VW for an R. I will wait as long as it takes.

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      06-08-2011 01:36 AM #294
      Quote Originally Posted by G Mills View Post
      LOL... Currently holding the 1st deposit at Northland VW for an R. I will wait as long as it takes.
      I tried, I tried to wait but the itch was a bit much

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Too many to list
      06-09-2011 02:40 PM #295
      These 2 pics were taken with an Iphone this morning at a local dealership (South Center Fine Cars). A car carrier was on it's way from Whistler (where they had some sort of dealer sponsored display of upcoming new VW models). This carrier is headed east for some other function. It had to stop at the dealership to load up a vehicle that they needed to take with them back east. It is believed that this collection of new VWs is going to travel around Canada for a while showing these things at various events.
      The person who took the pictures was about to climb up onto the carrier to take more but the driver of the transport was loaded up and was about roll out.
      We talked a little about the 2012 models that the US will be getting a few months before we get our 2013 models. There has been some talk about the rear LED tail lights not being put on the 2012 cars, however, since ours will be the 2013 model, we can't simply assume that this will be the case. LED tail lights is not necessarily ruled out for us. Even though it's only a few months difference, one model year may allow for some changes. After all, a lot of cars on the road today have LED tail lights as stock. The Americans think it's something to do with their regulations governing such tail lights.

21. 06-09-2011 03:54 PM #296
      Quote Originally Posted by xviper View Post
      These 2 pics were taken with an Iphone this morning at a local dealership (South Center Fine Cars). A car carrier was on it's way from Whistler (where they had some sort of dealer sponsored display of upcoming new VW models). This carrier is headed east for some other function. It had to stop at the dealership to load up a vehicle that they needed to take with them back east. It is believed that this collection of new VWs is going to travel around Canada for a while showing these things at various events.
      The person who took the pictures was about to climb up onto the carrier to take more but the driver of the transport was loaded up and was about roll out.
      We talked a little about the 2012 models that the US will be getting a few months before we get our 2013 models. There has been some talk about the rear LED tail lights not being put on the 2012 cars, however, since ours will be the 2013 model, we can't simply assume that this will be the case. LED tail lights is not necessarily ruled out for us. Even though it's only a few months difference, one model year may allow for some changes. After all, a lot of cars on the road today have LED tail lights as stock. The Americans think it's something to do with their regulations governing such tail lights.
      Nice, thanks for sharing the pics.

Does anyone know of an example where a Canadian model vehicle has LED taillights but US model doesn't? I wouldn't expect VW to make 500 units for Canada a slightly different spec than the US, but maybe it's easier for them since the rest of the world has LED taillights?

06-10-2011 10:29 PM #297
      That particular car is a German-spec unit that was shipped here for display at the Canadian national dealer meeting in Whistler this past week. It was made clear to us at the meeting that this vehicle included certain items that were available in Europe but would not be a part of the Canadian specifications for the Golf R. This includes the 19" wheel package and the LED taillights.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      06-13-2011 10:08 AM #298
      the dealers should order a bunch of LED tails and the 19" rims and create their own little optional package upgrade

'83 GTi (gone) | '90 Corrado (gone) | '96 GTi VR6 (gone) | '08 GTi (gone) | '12 R

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta 2.5, 2012 Golf R
      06-13-2011 12:35 PM #299
      the dealers should order a bunch of LED tails and the 19" rims and create their own little optional package upgrade
      i agree i would definitely take a set of both when i pick up the car

Vehicles
      2012 GTI CSG 5-Dr Manual Loaded
      06-13-2011 05:17 PM #300
      I wonder no LED tails because of regulations or just to keep the cost low (considerable comparing to Euro prices)?

Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast