Page 66 of 115 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
    Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2866

Thread: Golf R in Canada Thread

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI 4 dr
      03-23-2012 03:03 PM #1626
      Hi, GTiNeon

Since you have the car already, Can you please verify the traction control works the same way as 12 GTI; when you press the traction botton the ASR deactivate, if you press and hold (3sec)the botton, the ASR deactivate first the ESC deactivate too.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTINeon View Post
      Up until last Thursday I had a 2009 GTI 6 speed with a Unitronic 1+ and a carbonio intake.

The MKV made boost a lot quicker but as everyone with one knows it kind of pooped out past 5,500 RPM. Not the R. The throttle on the R as well as the response was much more linear and less 'peaky' than the GTI.

The R had less pull in 6th at 100 km than the GTI however it was only turning 2,400 RPM whereas the GTI was 2,800 RPM. By the time you hit 2,800 in 6th in the R the party was starting. It didn't feel like it was pulling as hard as the GTI in 6th until you hit about 3,200-3,500 RPM. However that whole comparison is largely irrelevant as if you want hard acceleration you still have 3 gears to shift down to.

Did I push the R? Oh I did. Similar to a GTI hitting redline doesn't do you a lot of good, 6,500 RPM is about as far as you need to go before the power starts to fade.

I discovered, on a closed track of course that 200 km/h comes in a big hurry, and when you lean on the brakes it goes back down to 80 in a bigger hurry. I didn't do any hard launches, in fact I bogged it a couple times where had I done the same thing on my GTI it would have been a whole lot of wheelspin. I'll get that figured out.

The cornering ability was pretty great too. The car felt very planted taking some curves way faster than you would in almost every circumstance. I could feel that the tires were a little slippery as can be the case with new tires.

The exhaust at idle was fantastic and the sound under hard acceleration was much better than the GTI with or without the noise pipe. One tiny complaint I had was that even once well warmed up the engine itself from the outside of the car was very 'ticky'. Meh. No biggy. You couldn't hear any of it from the cabin.

I intend to burn a lot of gas on the weekend.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      03-23-2012 03:40 PM #1627
      Quote Originally Posted by cloors View Post
      Anyone from BC have their cars yet? I need to live vicariously through you!
      picked up mine last night

3. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      03-23-2012 03:45 PM #1628
      am i the first one in lower mainland vancouver? any tips from canucks nation on what to do with front license plate?

4. 03-23-2012 06:00 PM #1629
      I got my car. Wow nice drive, lots of stuff to get used to :-)

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      12 RB Golf .:R 4Dr
      03-23-2012 06:18 PM #1630
      Quote Originally Posted by sup_lado View Post
      am i the first one in lower mainland vancouver? any tips from canucks nation on what to do with front license plate?
      Which dealership you ordered your car from? Cowell said they had no R coming in yet...
      waiting sux...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-23-2012 06:49 PM #1631
      Try and see it from the driver's seat. If you can't, don't worry about it. Then get the APR 1+ so you can be sure to show your taillights to everyone.

Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      03-23-2012 06:53 PM #1632
      For those still waiting in Toronto I have just had an update. I have just been informed that the remaining vehicles have literally just arrived by train from Halifax.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      03-23-2012 08:24 PM #1633
      Quote Originally Posted by cahiroki View Post
      Which dealership you ordered your car from? Cowell said they had no R coming in yet...
      waiting sux...
      cowell sucks.. i ordered there before but they didn't even know what a golf r is. i ordered in gold key langley. it was delivered wednesday.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      RB golf R
      03-23-2012 08:26 PM #1634
      Quote Originally Posted by BRSomm View Post
      Try and see it from the driver's seat. If you can't, don't worry about it. Then get the APR 1+ so you can be sure to show your taillights to everyone.
      i probably get APR1+ after a couple of months. i guess i will
      let them drill it if i don't have a choice. im
      looking at that stow away plate

Vehicles
      WOB 012[R]
      03-23-2012 08:50 PM #1635
      I got one of these

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm
      H&R Street coilovers and upgraded sway bars, Unitronic Stage 2 HPFP, Milltek TBE, BBS, VW.:Racing CAI, Autotech HPFP, CTS FMIC, HPA BBK, Diesel Geek SSK. Aasco Motorsports aluminium flywheel, Bully Stg 3 clutch, Haldex Race controller.
      SEM Motorsports 416-636-7575. Toronto. Simply Tire 416-916-9233.

11. Member
      03-23-2012 09:41 PM #1636
      I'm on my way Sat to see my reserved R at the dealer. I will buy it if I like it. I'll post after with the news from my visit.

Vehicles
      2015 Tiguan 4motion, 2012 Golf R APR 2+, 2001 Eurovan, 2014 Jetta, 1971 Super Beetle, 1968 MB280S
      03-23-2012 09:45 PM #1637
      Just got home from picking up my car at the PEI dealership. It's a 250km drive one way, made for a long, but rewarding day! Drives like a charm, planted, solid and plenty of power. Really fun on on and off ramps! Its very tempting to lower the right foot, but I held back for now, want it to break in properly first. I'm very impressed with the interior quality and overall package, this is an amazing hot hatch, VW definitely got it right!
      Car is safely parked in a friend's garage as mine is under renovation to add space for my R! I'm away for work till next Friday, but next weekend she'll get prepped properly. I didn't let the dealer touch it, except for installing my LED tails for me. They look sharp!! Loving the Tornado Red too, it looks really good in person. I'm stoked about all the mods I'm planning to do this summer, definitely upgrading to APR 1+ along with a few personal touches.
      Congrats to everyone else, it sure has been well worth the wait. Enjoy!!
      (too late to post pics now, but I'll post a few tomorrow)
      Born into a VW family, what can I say?

13. Member
      03-23-2012 10:12 PM #1638
      Quote Originally Posted by lovecarsDrV View Post
      Just got home from picking up my car at the PEI dealership. It's a 250km drive one way, made for a long, but rewarding day! Drives like a charm, planted, solid and plenty of power. Really fun on on and off ramps! Its very tempting to lower the right foot, but I held back for now, want it to break in properly first. I'm very impressed with the interior quality and overall package, this is an amazing hot hatch, VW definitely got it right!
      Car is safely parked in a friend's garage as mine is under renovation to add space for my R! I'm away for work till next Friday, but next weekend she'll get prepped properly. I didn't let the dealer touch it, except for installing my LED tails for me. They look sharp!! Loving the Tornado Red too, it looks really good in person. I'm stoked about all the mods I'm planning to do this summer, definitely upgrading to APR 1+ along with a few personal touches.
      Congrats to everyone else, it sure has been well worth the wait. Enjoy!!
      (too late to post pics now, but I'll post a few tomorrow)
      Congrats! Enjoy it!

14. 03-23-2012 10:25 PM #1639
      Got 8 in at work, they look awesome. Love those wheels.

Wish I had the new haldex system...

1 out, 2 more tomorrow I hear.

15. 03-23-2012 10:26 PM #1640
      Delivered my first R today, Eddie is one happy guy!

Alex Fretes
      Fleet Manager ABS Audi - VW
      Audi of Mississauga - Bramgate VW
      C: 647-984-2834
      Email me for more details on VWs and Audis

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta 1.8T, 2008 X3, ...2012 CSGM Golf R...!
      03-23-2012 10:55 PM #1641
      Quote Originally Posted by Monty1952 View Post
      Glad it's going well for you. I was told at my dealership today it may be a couple of weeks yet. Very frustrating as I had it tracked when it arrived in Toronto at the Concord site and it was one of the first group about a month ago. I am starting to think something very strange is going on and wishing I had bought something else.
      That is strange...mine arrived in TO Thurs...getting tinted and will be ready Monday or Tuesday. 2 weeks seems long...

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GLI,1964 impala,2009 srt8 challenger
      03-23-2012 11:45 PM #1642
      i'm just saying this probably out of bitterness because i dont have mine yet but , seriously , if the release was to go like this then why the holdup...it's all over the place ... If VW's goal was to create something special at a certain time , they 100% failed IMO, communication is KEY , and VW has created NONE ...".NOTE : THERE WAS NO APRIL 1 LAUNCH" thanks for all the misinformation ",knew that was gonna happen from the start though ! Hope everyone who gets theirs on Vancouver Island are happy because some peeps back east still have one's in storage waiting to be released that have been there who knows how long ! Love the car but as always HATE politics !

Vehicles
      2002 VW 337, 2007 335i (gone), 2012 RB Golf R
      03-24-2012 12:10 AM #1643
      Picked up my RBR today from Norden. It's really meeting my expectations. Great seats, great steering, great shifting. I love the 510 Nav unit. The car feels fantastic. I'm not missing my BMW one bit! Also, we got a fair amount of snow here, so I got to test out the Haldex...it's great! Wife is super happy with the car too. Great visibility, lots of room. This is everything I wanted! Norden was great to deal with. Very reasonable and professional. I'm a happy camper!
      Buying a BMW angered the car gods; time to return home.

19. 03-24-2012 12:45 AM #1644
      awesome to see some guys getting their Rs.

they look great, I think id have coilovers on my list pretty quick if I had one, probably before any other mod, I just dont like how the stance almost makes the rear appear lower. But still jealous as hell!

20. 03-24-2012 12:48 AM #1645
      No way I would rock one (from Victoria) just leave it in the back saying your waiting on a bracket (IF you get pulled over) because VW didnt give you one...works for me.

21. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI 4 dr
      03-24-2012 02:53 AM #1646
      Can some Canadian R owner please verify this? Thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by minipoker View Post
      Hi, GTiNeon

Since you have the car already, Can you please verify the traction control works the same way as 12 GTI; when you press the traction botton the ASR deactivate, if you press and hold (3sec)the botton, the ASR deactivate first then the ESC also deactivate too.

Many thanks
      Last edited by minipoker; 03-24-2012 at 02:56 AM.

22. 03-24-2012 07:28 AM #1647
      Quote Originally Posted by Jaydogg64 View Post
      i'm just saying this probably out of bitterness because i dont have mine yet but , seriously , if the release was to go like this then why the holdup...it's all over the place ... If VW's goal was to create something special at a certain time , they 100% failed IMO, communication is KEY , and VW has created NONE ...".NOTE : THERE WAS NO APRIL 1 LAUNCH" thanks for all the misinformation ",knew that was gonna happen from the start though ! Hope everyone who gets theirs on Vancouver Island are happy because some peeps back east still have one's in storage waiting to be released that have been there who knows how long ! Love the car but as always HATE politics !
      It's never good enough , is it? VW decided to release them sooner than originally planned, when every one knew it would be an April 2012 delivery for over a year! IMO, you should complain on April 2nd... that would be "delayed", and take it as a bonus if you get yours before that.
      Alex Fretes
      Fleet Manager ABS Audi - VW
      Audi of Mississauga - Bramgate VW
      C: 647-984-2834
      Email me for more details on VWs and Audis

Vehicles
      2015 Tiguan 4motion, 2012 Golf R APR 2+, 2001 Eurovan, 2014 Jetta, 1971 Super Beetle, 1968 MB280S
      03-24-2012 07:56 AM #1648
      Quote Originally Posted by afretes View Post
      It's never good enough , is it? VW decided to release them sooner than originally planned, when every one knew it would be an April 2012 delivery for over a year! IMO, you should complain on April 2nd... that would be "delayed", and take it as a bonus if you get yours before that.
      I can assure you that any bitterness or sour grapes dissolve instantly the moment you lay eyes on your car - to those that are still waiting, rest assured, it's going to be allright - just hang in there!
      Born into a VW family, what can I say?

24. 03-24-2012 08:45 AM #1649
      Quote Originally Posted by afretes View Post
      ^^THIS! The amount of whining on this board is astounding.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Drives RB Golf R 4-door
      03-24-2012 08:59 AM #1650
      Quote Originally Posted by DudeLePowSki View Post
      ^^THIS! The amount of whining on this board is astounding.
      It's not just this forums. It's the same for all of them.

Page 66 of 115 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast