Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights stay on after parking, default setting?

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta, 2000.5 4motion Passat, 08 Passat, 09 Passat, 09 CC VR6 4 motion, 09 Tiguan, 09 Touareg
      12-16-2010 10:29 AM #1
      I'm trying to figure out but can't find an answer. Parked at the mall about 8pm, dark, came back out 45 minutes later and the parking lights were still on, aren't they suppose to shut off the same as the interior light after a while to save battery? An overlook in design or that's the way it is? Every VW I had after 1992 will shut of lights completely. Am I missing anything? I guess I need to remember to flick the switch to off every time, hmm.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta, 2000.5 4motion Passat, 08 Passat, 09 Passat, 09 CC VR6 4 motion, 09 Tiguan, 09 Touareg
      12-16-2010 10:43 AM #2
      Forgot to mention, I have 2011 GTI 6mt w/Autobahn Package.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2002 911 Cab
      12-16-2010 10:53 AM #3
      You have turn turn the light switch off for all of the lights to turn off. With the ignition off but the light switch on, the parking lights will stay on.

Vehicles
      a van
      12-16-2010 02:25 PM #4
      actually, the biggest indicator should be the *ding ding ding* from the dash. that tells you if the light switch is still turned into an ON position. the switch needs to be turned OFF to have no outside lights on (save for DRLs if activated).
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

5. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-16-2010 02:39 PM #5

6. Member
      12-16-2010 05:25 PM #6
      i dont think its fair that you guys are bashing on the guy for his questions.. after all, most japanese cars ive driven (the vw is my first car AND first german car in the family ), automatically turn off the lights when you take out the key. of course if for any reason you need your lights on, you can switch it back on w/ the key not in the ignition..

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta TDI Highline
      12-16-2010 06:29 PM #7
      most japanese cars ive driven (the vw is my first car AND first german car in the family ), automatically turn off the lights when you take out the key
      +1
      for the poop sake, Hyundai Accent does so as well!
      I was actually surprised the car does not shuts the lights itself
      Тракторист

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-16-2010 06:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by sukanas View Post
      i dont think its fair that you guys are bashing on the guy for his questions.. after all, most japanese cars ive driven (the vw is my first car AND first german car in the family ), automatically turn off the lights when you take out the key. of course if for any reason you need your lights on, you can switch it back on w/ the key not in the ignition..
      look at the owners car history. you would think after owning all the VW's he would know how our lights work by now.

Vehicles
      12-17-2010 05:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      look at the owners car history. you would think after owning all the VW's he would know how our lights work by now.
      Hmm, I'm not asking how the lights work , just a little surprise that is not shutting down by itself to save battery. On my 2000 plain jane Jetta, did this. Not a biggie or an issue to flick the switch off.
      I love when people have no clear answer or anything to contribute with but, "read the manual" and "he should know by now", to say the least, not helpful, I thought this forums were to ask questions, answered by helpful and nice members, to find out that there are few dumb asses around, sorry I ask then, wise guys.

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-17-2010 05:43 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by genuino View Post
      came back out 45 minutes later and the parking lights were still on, aren't they suppose to shut off the same as the interior light after a while to save battery?
      Hmm, I'm not asking how the lights work ,.
      yes you are? does your tiguan, cc, or passat do this? i would be really suprised if you said your Tiguan shut its light of automatically.

people are here to help, but generally questions that can be answered by reading the manual or that are common knowledge will lead to these types of responses.
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 12-17-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2002 911 Cab
      12-17-2010 06:16 PM #11
      So here is the thing why the light stay on without the key on.

In most of the world, if you have your car parked on the side of the road, the car has to have marker lights on.

Some cars have a special parking light switch that allows you to pick which side the markers are lit, but having the ability to have the parking lights on when the car is off or disabled is a country requirement, and I doubt that anyone cane name a US car that does not keep its parking lights on with the key off. That is why they are called Parking lights, they are for use when the car is parked.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      12-17-2010 06:24 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Orient Express View Post
      So here is the thing why the light stay on without the key on.

In most of the world, if you have your car parked on the side of the road, the car has to have marker lights on.

Some cars have a special parking light switch that allows you to pick which side the markers are lit, but having the ability to have the parking lights on when the car is off or disabled is a country requirement, and I doubt that anyone cane name a US car that does not keep its parking lights on with the key off. That is why they are called Parking lights, they are for use when the car is parked.
      US cars with parking lights? many subarus have a switch on top of the steering column for the parking light function (02+ Imprezas/WRX/STI/Outback Sport, Legacy/Outback, Forester..)

my cousin's SLK320 has the parking light switch also. When you turn off the lights, it was the next 2 detents going counter clockwise after off....

There is a guy at work with a B6 A4.... he usually leaves the parking lights on by accident, which I normally have to email him to tell him to turn it off...

....and I enabled mine on my passat via VCDS
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-17-2010 06:27 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Orient Express View Post
      That is why they are called Parking lights, they are for use when the car is parked.
      no i believe its actually because they are meant for when youre in a parking garage/structure?

14. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-17-2010 07:17 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by GTINC View Post
      Maybe, but when cars started having this light function there were not a lot of parking garage/structures.

Most folks, particularly in Europe, use them when parking/stopping the car on a narrow street for a short time.
      correct, but isnt that usually the left light that stays on so cars can see you. (pull the left blinker down and turn car off) not both lights

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11 jsw tdi
      12-18-2010 02:26 AM #15
      correct, but isnt that usually the left light that stays on so cars can see you. (pull the left blinker down and turn car off) not both lights

No, on some cars I think you can chose the side. Not always going to be left side out.

Vehicles
      12-18-2010 08:40 AM #16
      yes you are? does your tiguan, cc, or passat do this? i would be really suprised if you said your Tiguan shut its light of automatically.

people are here to help, but generally questions that can be answered by reading the manual or that are common knowledge will lead to these types of responses.
      Yes, they all did it since 2000, all the Passats and CCs I had, the Tiguan that my wife drives does it too, having said that they all had light sensors or the auto mode on the light switch. I had an Accord in 2003 (don't ask why) fully loaded, no auto headlights but it will shut the lights after being parked for more than 3 minutes with the light switch on. Useful, I guess I got use too much to the auto headlights. Anyways, is not hard at all to switch it off when parking, just need to remember it .
      Is there any way to implement this? or install the auto headlights option?

17. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-18-2010 11:59 AM #17
      anything can be retrofitted, however im not sure where the light sensor is, that might be the hardest part of the install. buying a automatic euro light switch is easy and can be swapped on within a few minutes. you'll probably need to do some vagcom coding, but like i said, there has to be a light sensor somewhere. (windshield?)

18. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      12-18-2010 11:59 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
      No, on some cars I think you can chose the side. Not always going to be left side out.

Vehicles
      PQ35 5K 5DR
      12-18-2010 12:06 PM #19
      OP should just but an euro switch with the auto position. Auto position starts and turn off alll the lights with the ignition.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI - 2005 Jetta TDI - 2003 Jetta TDI - 2001 Golf TDI
      12-18-2010 01:13 PM #20
      Don't know if it's the same on the GTI but on my '11 JSW, if I leave the light switch in the on position and shut off my lights my parking lights of course stay on but once I lock the doors they shut off. When I unlock the doors, the parking lights come back on and when I start the car, uhh wagon, the lights come on. Sometimes I use this as the poor mans coming home and leaving home for my garage because it's so dark and it works great. Just feel a little funny for locking my wagon in the garage but again, that's the poor mans dilemma.

Going back to the OP, especially being at the mall, does locking your doors not produce the same results of turning the parking lights off when you leave the light switch on? Of course I'm guessing that the doors were locked.

Vehicles
      12-18-2010 01:56 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by db252 View Post
      Don't know if it's the same on the GTI but on my '11 JSW, if I leave the light switch in the on position and shut off my lights my parking lights of course stay on but once I lock the doors they shut off. When I unlock the doors, the parking lights come back on and when I start the car, uhh wagon, the lights come on. Sometimes I use this as the poor mans coming home and leaving home for my garage because it's so dark and it works great. Just feel a little funny for locking my wagon in the garage but again, that's the poor mans dilemma.

Going back to the OP, especially being at the mall, does locking your doors not produce the same results of turning the parking lights off when you leave the light switch on? Of course I'm guessing that the doors were locked.
      I feel like an idiot, actually don't remember if I locked the doors at the mall, by the way it only happened once, maybe the other times I locked it, I'll check in a few, lol.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      12-18-2010 05:04 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by bubuski View Post
      OP should just but an euro switch with the auto position. Auto position starts and turn off alll the lights with the ignition.
      also requires a light sensor, for the auto function
      Other Rides:

Vehicles
      12-18-2010 05:13 PM #23
      Auto function requires a light sensor of course, but I'm not looking for auto function, just to shut the lights when the car is locked, when coming back into the car and start the ignition, the lights should turn back on, not automatic lights function,.....maybe I'm not explaining this the right way?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      12-19-2010 11:25 AM #24
      Basically an auto-off/on.

My old 88 Camry had this (as did my parents 94 Corolla). I can leave the headlight switch to the full on position, drive the car, turn off the car, open the door and all the lights turn off. THen later get back in the car and start the car and all the lights are on again....
      Other Rides:

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      12-19-2010 01:51 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by db252 View Post

This does not occur on my '10 JSW...I wonder if your CECM is coded differently...
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      PQ35 5K 5DR
      12-19-2010 02:19 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      also requires a light sensor, for the auto function
      Auto function requires a light sensor of course, but I'm not looking for auto function, just to shut the lights when the car is locked, when coming back into the car and start the ignition, the lights should turn back on, not automatic lights function,.....maybe I'm not explaining this the right way?

Does not require a light sensor as I have it installed. The light comes on and off with the ignition regardless of time of the day. A light sensor will only control the time of the day.

That is way I use now. With Day light saving time, it is usually dark when I leave home in the morning and turns dark on my way home so I just leave it in the Auto position which turns on the light when I start the car, but turns it off when I get home or to work. My errands are usually after work when it is dark, so works perfectly for me.

You can also use it like the North American switch, i.e first position turns on the lights but if you forget the lights on then then ignition will turn it off(As long as you do not use the fogs on a daily basis).
      Last edited by bubuski; 12-19-2010 at 02:44 PM.

12-19-2010 03:59 PM #27
      Auto-on/off feature comes builting in to the multi function wheel switch. Coding in the module also gives the different functions with all the same light featured on all vehicles. Euro fog light feature(brake light on and reverse light luminated on one side) is all about the hex coding. The side light being on after key off is also a coding feature on the confort module. If you want all kinds of new hacked features go to the dealer and have them adapt features(turning them on). Auto window up down with the key fob is another cool feature
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      12-19-2010 03:59 PM #28
      this thread is beyond confusing,

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      12-19-2010 05:41 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Mxkmster View Post
      Auto-on/off feature comes builting in to the multi function wheel switch.
      Steering wheel switch? Huh?!

Coding in the module also gives the different functions with all the same light featured on all vehicles.
      I'm unsure what you are referring to...

Euro fog light feature(brake light on and reverse light luminated on one side) is all about the hex coding.
      You need a euroswitch with a rear fog position for the rear fog to work...

The side light being on after key off is also a coding feature on the confort module. If you want all kinds of new hacked features go to the dealer and have them adapt features(turning them on). Auto window up down with the key fob is another cool feature
      I don't know a single dealer that will do this...coding changes are left to owners of VCDS cables and software...
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
      12-19-2010 07:59 PM #30
      The way I understand it is....

The europeans know that americans are stupid enough to not know how to use the headlights properly. That's why they have only two positions; off and on. When the headlight switch is in the ON position with the car off, the parking lights are on. Think of how many times you've seen people driving around with just their parking lights on and then think about what I said

Parking lights are to be used when parked, but not all the time. I usually turn off my headlights when I'm parked, but if i'm gonna be in the car for an extended period, i like to still be able to see my radio buttons. Also, in europe, if you're parked on the right side of the street, your left parking lights are supposed to come on. If you park on the left side of the street, the right lights come on. It's so people can see your car in dark non-lit areas.

Now, I'm gonna go outside and see if the side-parking lights work on my 2011 without euro switch. Probably not.... but it's worth a try

31. Member
      Vehicles
      12-19-2010 08:37 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqcopter View Post

The europeans know that americans are stupid enough to not know how to use the headlights properly. That's why they have only two positions; off and on. When the headlight switch is in the ON position with the car off, the parking lights are on. Think of how many times you've seen people driving around with just their parking lights on and then think about what I said
      Don't you mean American VW owners are stupid

Audi gets the middle parking light position on their switch, in the US
      Other Rides:

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Fit Sport 5MT
      12-19-2010 08:46 PM #32
      ^that's what i meant, yes

12-24-2010 04:07 AM #33
      The switch wheel that I am talking about is what the lights are turned on and off with. Most of these switches have several positions no just all on or all off. The coding change is something that is not told to customers that buy the car its something that has to be requested. Generally if you want a feature done having a function adaption completed is what Volkswagen calls it. Other ways to change operation is to have the hex long coding changed. This can be something as simple as changing the amount of blinker flashs during a turn signal tap. Or, like I mentioned auto window up and down with the remote. If you make friends with a technition its the easy way to have things adapted.
      Dont shade tree it...

Vehicles
      PQ35 5K 5DR
      12-24-2010 10:05 AM #34
      The switch wheel that I am talking about is what the lights are turned on and off with. Most of these switches have several positions no just all on or all off. .
      No. All Mk6 sold in USA and Canada have only two positions on the headlight switch. On and off. 'On' might have a secondary position for front fogs if equipped on the car from factory.

The coding change is something that is not told to customers that buy the car its something that has to be requested. Generally if you want a feature done having a function adaption completed is what Volkswagen calls it. Other ways to change operation is to have the hex long coding changed. This can be something as simple as changing the amount of blinker flashs during a turn signal tap. Or, like I mentioned auto window up and down with the remote. If you make friends with a technition its the easy way to have things adapted.
      Dealers do not generally do coding change. The Official tool they use from VW is VAS505x and it is as useful as a brick.
      Definitely not very useful for changing turn signal flashes or hex coding. Some dealers might invest in VCDS and a vag-com cable at their own accord and is not widespread. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from so I'll end with the quote below....

Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post
      I don't know a single dealer that will do this...coding changes are left to owners of VCDS cables and software...

Vehicles
      2010 UG 2Dr GTI "Gus"
      12-26-2010 01:08 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqcopter View Post

Parking lights are to be used when parked, but not all the time. I usually turn off my headlights when I'm parked, but if i'm gonna be in the car for an extended period, i like to still be able to see my radio buttons. Also, in europe, if you're parked on the right side of the street, your left parking lights are supposed to come on. If you park on the left side of the street, the right lights come on. It's so people can see your car in dark non-lit areas.

Now, I'm gonna go outside and see if the side-parking lights work on my 2011 without euro switch. Probably not.... but it's worth a try

I actually like the on or off only feature. I can't think of the last time i needed to have my parking lights only on, and especially never when the car was moving. IIRC Volvos have the same on or off only switch, however the on/off only changes the interior lights, the exterior lights are always on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast