Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam follower "recall"

Vehicles
      Mk7 GTI
      02-07-2011 12:35 PM #76
      My dealer doesn't know about this yet. But they said "then again you always know alot of stuff before we do" lol

And what's this list of 12 things to make the car run efficiently? I need to do these.

2. 02-07-2011 08:10 PM #77
      Yeah lol no one answered me

3. 02-09-2011 06:54 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by MOMO Vento 96 View Post
      Good news everyone! Looks like is warranty work is for real...Here is my story!

My situation is similar to most of the others in this thread, I have a 2006 VW GTi 2.0T, I'm the original owner, always performed oil changes at the dealer except for 2 or 3 changes which I have paperwork to prove. The car started having fuel cut around 62k miles. So I did my research and pulled the fuel pump to check the cam follower only to find a HUGE hole punched in it. So I visually inspected the cam, and fuel pump which both showed signs of wear from machining themselves on each other. After performing the change out of the cam follower all seemed well until recently.

My car currently has 95k miles on it, and cuts fuel on a regular basis in 4,5,6 gears under acceleration. I called VWoA to confirm this "new" campaign only to find out that it has not been released, but they are working on it at the moment. So I call up my local VW dealer to get the car in for the repairs and explained about this upcoming campaign that is going to happen.

After the VW tech pulled the fuel pump, cam follower and cam, they also found there was damage to the cylinder head. Looks like I'll be having a MAJOR overhaul on the top end. So the VW dealer called me and explained that VWoA is going to cover 90% of the cost, and was told my total bill was going to be about $4500+. I am perfectly fine paying the $450 or so, because once the campaign rolls out, I'll be able to submit for the remainder to be refunded. I am also changing out the timing belt while they have the head off so I'll kill two birds with one stone...

Overall I am glad VW is finally owning up to this issue and and relieved that they are offering to cover these costs even though I no longer have a warranty since I'm 95k on the clock.

Keep hope alive...things are looking good for us guys!

Hi,

I have a very similar problem and is still in the process of being fixed.
      I drive a '08 GTI with an FSI engine @ 70k miles.

Friday morning my CEL came on and I took it to the dealer. Told me it was my HPFP so they replaced it for $220. Five hours later my CEL comes on and my car wouldn't accelerate well at all in gears 4/5/6. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was my camshaft and could cost up to $2200.

I have gotten every service done at the dealer and follow their recommended service plan, because of this the guys at my dealership said they would call VoA and see if I can get assistance since I'm 10k out of warranty. They got back to me with a price (not sure of the final yet) under $650 which also includes my 70k service ($129).

Today I get a call that when replacing the camshaft they had a bolt seize on them and now need to replace something else.

This post by MOMO is making me think I need to call VoA and see what more can be done? I have been completely unaware this was such a huge problem. Apartment life has cause me to lose almost all ability, and therefore interest, in doing the work myself. Can anyone recommend what my next step should be?
      Last edited by jukinjmadden; 02-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      02-09-2011 10:38 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by jukinjmadden View Post
      Hi,

I have a very similar problem and is still in the process of being fixed.
      I drive a '08 GTI with an FSI engine @ 70k miles.

Friday morning my CEL came on and I took it to the dealer. Told me it was my HPFP so they replaced it for $220. Five hours later my CEL comes on and my car wouldn't accelerate well at all in gears 4/5/6. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was my camshaft and could cost up to $2200.

I have gotten every service done at the dealer and follow their recommended service plan, because of this the guys at my dealership said they would call VoA and see if I can get assistance since I'm 10k out of warranty. They got back to me with a price (not sure of the final yet) under $650 which also includes my 70k service ($129).

Today I get a call that when replacing the camshaft they had a bolt seize on them and now need to replace something else.

This post by MOMO is making me think I need to call VoA and see what more can be done? I have been completely unaware this was such a huge problem. Apartment life has cause me to lose almost all ability, and therefore interest, in doing the work myself. Can anyone recommend what my next step should be?
      So considering you already paid the $220 and now about another $525 it is a lot of money but you are still fortunate compared to others that have been completly stiffed. It would be worth a call to VW but I don't know if it will get you anywhere.

Did the dealership explain why they replaced just the fuel pump when the cam was really destroyed?

5. 02-09-2011 11:27 PM #80
      Yeah they really should have looked at the camshaft. If the fuel pump was gone its because it wore through the follower

6. 02-09-2011 11:33 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      So considering you already paid the $220 and now about another $525 it is a lot of money but you are still fortunate compared to others that have been completly stiffed. It would be worth a call to VW but I don't know if it will get you anywhere.

Did the dealership explain why they replaced just the fuel pump when the cam was really destroyed?
      they said the sensor in the pump could be bad so if we replaced it the problem might go away. It sounds like they may not have much exposure to the issue I couldve been the first car they've seen with the follower problem. I'll call voa tomorrow and see what they say

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      02-09-2011 11:56 PM #82
      If you're out of warranty but have documentation of all service done to your car, including oil changes you did yourself, and you are patient, organized and persistent and able to write coherently without ranting, you should be able to get significant relief from VWoA. From what I have seen and heard the first response is usually "no", which becomes a voucher worth $1,000 toward the purchase of a new VW, which then escalates to an offer, some haggling and signatures on paper. The paper part may include a confidentiality agreement.

I'm curious to see whether they will compensate owners who reached such an agreement with them prior to the recall (assuming it happens) that called for some split of the costs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 GLI
      02-11-2011 09:30 AM #83
      Had to replace the Cam Follower in my '06 GLI. SUCKS! $2200 bucks SUCKS! I just found your thread on this a few weeks ago and have been reading a few things on the TSB and Extension of Warranty. My dealer told me in December that the issue was , at this point, a TSB and that it should turn into an Extension of Warranty. Also, a representative at corporate told me the same thing. I think it is a shame that they don't cover this. Any news in February that this has turned over to an Extension of Warranty? I've been sent stuff in the mail on everything from a VW credit card, VW insurance, and coupons for oil changes but nothing on the Follower issue. Any new thoughts?

9. 02-11-2011 05:14 PM #84
      I have an update to my issue.

Yesterday I called VoA after reading they might be able to help. They have been very generous and are comping my entire bill for the camshaft replacement (both of them since they had the bolt seize on the install).

My situation might be different than others. I have gotten every service done at the same dealership and been pretty precise with them. I don't have any modification to my car. Once again its an '08 gti w/ 70k miles on it.

I did ask my caseworker a couple of questions which i'll post maybe they will help others:

1) Are you aware of the amount of issues and similar cases because of the cam follower on this engine? There are facebook groups, multiple forums, and hundreds of people that have had the same thing happen. This is a $50 dollar part that can lead to over $2000 in repairs

answer - They are aware of the online forums and facebook groups. I was told that each issue reported to them is treated on an individual basis and decisions will have different results. My caseworker was unaware if there is any warranty/recall/etc in the works but states aslong as they have worked for VW they feel VW has been very proactive to any major issues.

2) Has there been any consideration to adding a cam follower replacement into the maint. schedule that you guys recommend? Say every 30k this gets done? (This is what I will be doing even if I have to shell out a couple hundred for it to be done).

answer - They haven't had enough issues to feel that the part can go at a certain time in order to put it on a regular maint. schedule (This is not word for word)

All I can say is if this is happening to you and you have a good service history, call VoA! The worst they can do is tell you no, but they can help a great deal. Also, be respectful..the people you talk to had nothing to do with engineering these cam followers. They tell you that your case will be resolved within 2 days, and it was.

Thanks to all of you for the information that has been posted. Hopefully in the near future VW will find a way to compensate those who haven't been as lucky as me.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      02-12-2011 06:27 PM #85
      The HPFP/Cam issue is currently under debate whether it happens or not. If its happens it will be a warranty extension and not a recall.

The only recall VW has recently released is for the B6 Passat/CC for steering lock module.
      Last edited by Boosted2003!; 02-12-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      02-12-2011 07:11 PM #86
      Recalls are only issued for safety-related defects.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      02-13-2011 09:59 AM #87
      Somewhat similar to the 1.8T warranty extension program, or the window regulator warranty extension.

Vehicles
      06' GLI 6mt, 99' Land Rover Discovery II
      02-14-2011 02:17 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by mike3141 View Post
      Recalls are only issued for safety-related defects.
      Right. Its unfortunate though, especialy with more major problems

14. 02-14-2011 03:37 PM #89
      called vw Canada, and they confirmed that the warranty is extended for 7 years or 160,000 km

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      02-14-2011 05:14 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by mlochab View Post
      called vw Canada, and they confirmed that the warranty is extended for 7 years or 160,000 km
      That's great news. Now let's hope that VoA and AoA follow suit!

16. 02-14-2011 06:42 PM #91
      I called one of the local dealers today to get a feel for how they handle cam follower concerns. The service manager said if it is under warranty they will make repairs. But no inspection, it has to show a problem before they look at it. Didn't have any knowledge of any plan for an extended warranty.
      I'm going to inspect mine now. 2008 Passat 50k miles+/ -

17. 02-15-2011 09:24 AM #92
      I would suggest finding a different dealer. If you have evidence of a failure and ask them about it many will act on it. Some might charge you a fee for diagnosis if they find no problem. If they do find a problem there is no fee for the diagnosis and the fix is covered under warranty. It varies by dealer how they handle it. But if you can show that the conditions of this TSB are met, then they should act on it. If they don't, I would find a different dealer.

18. 02-15-2011 01:39 PM #93
      This was the response i Received when I contacted VWOA online and inquired about the warranty extension campaign:

Reference # 811000505

Dear Mr. Locke:

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen! I understand you have experienced concerns with the camshaft in your Golf and want to know if Volkswagen is issuing a warranty extension for this concern. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Presently there are no open recall campaigns or warranty extension issued relating to the camshaft in your Golf. When a customer contacts the Customer CARE Center with a problem with their car it is documented for Volkswagen’s review. Information is gathered from both the dealership and the Customer CARE Center. This information is forwarded to the appropriate departments. When a repair trend is identified in a specific model, an investigation is launched in order to determine its cause. Campaigns or warranty extensions are put into effect when a repair trend for a specific part on the vehicle has been addressed.

I hope this information is helpful. Be assured I have documented your concerns for Volkswagen’s review. If a campaign is opened in the future, you will be notified by mail.

If I may be of further assistance regarding this or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com, or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Rebekah B.

Customer CARE Advocate

So its seems the response it mixed. Either you have a good relationship with your service department, and get it fixed at a dealer level..or contact VWOA and they deny the issue.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      02-15-2011 01:56 PM #94
      Generally speaking, the approach you need to take that I have seen work very well is this:

1. Print out the TSB
      2. Print out several threads worth of discussions from here and other forums
      3. Fax / email this package in PDF format to VoA
      4. Take a printed copy with you to your service advisor

I've been lucky enough to have a service advisor who will advocate on my behalf and the combined punch got me a nice warranty claim on my AC compressor when I was out of warranty already.

Volkswagen will *not* admit fault, because doing so opens them up to a ton of liability. Do not expect it, but be patient, persistent and thorough and you will get results.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      02-15-2011 02:23 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by blocke View Post
      This was the response i Received when I contacted VWOA online and inquired about the warranty extension campaign:

Reference # 811000505

Dear Mr. Locke:

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen! I understand you have experienced concerns with the camshaft in your Golf and want to know if Volkswagen is issuing a warranty extension for this concern. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Presently there are no open recall campaigns or warranty extension issued relating to the camshaft in your Golf. When a customer contacts the Customer CARE Center with a problem with their car it is documented for Volkswagen’s review. Information is gathered from both the dealership and the Customer CARE Center. This information is forwarded to the appropriate departments. When a repair trend is identified in a specific model, an investigation is launched in order to determine its cause. Campaigns or warranty extensions are put into effect when a repair trend for a specific part on the vehicle has been addressed.

I hope this information is helpful. Be assured I have documented your concerns for Volkswagen’s review. If a campaign is opened in the future, you will be notified by mail.

If I may be of further assistance regarding this or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com, or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Rebekah B.

Customer CARE Advocate

So its seems the response it mixed. Either you have a good relationship with your service department, and get it fixed at a dealer level..or contact VWOA and they deny the issue.
      I think they can use the is letter for anything anyone asks about. I wonder if I asked them about problems of the seats turning to butter if they would send the same letter and replace the word "camshaft" with "seat" and send it back out.

Campaigns or warranty extensions are put into effect when a repair trend for a specific part on the vehicle has been addressed.

I wonder at what point they will see the trend?

21. 02-15-2011 02:31 PM #96
      For clarification, what is the power-train warranty on an 06 GTI? Is it 4/50, or 5/60? And calculated from in-service date? How do you determine?

I'm at 53,100 and trying to determine if its worth it to take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I've got P2293 code twice in 1.5 months. Inspected follower, looked fine but replaced anyway.

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      02-15-2011 04:07 PM #97
      Mmmmmmmmm butterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      02-15-2011 04:18 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by blocke View Post
      For clarification, what is the power-train warranty on an 06 GTI? Is it 4/50, or 5/60? And calculated from in-service date? How do you determine?

I'm at 53,100 and trying to determine if its worth it to take it to the dealer and have them check it out. I've got P2293 code twice in 1.5 months. Inspected follower, looked fine but replaced anyway.
      Power Train is 5/60 from in-service date. If you don't know when that is you can have a dealer look it up or call VWoA and give them your VIN and they will tell you.
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

24. 02-16-2011 02:46 PM #99
      Hope that does not happened you.

25. 02-17-2011 10:25 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by jhines_06gli View Post
      This hasn't officially went through yet. Not sure what VW is waiting on, but we aren't seeing the extension notice when we write up the car. I guess they are splitting up their costs a little with valve body extension that just came up.

As for how you should go about the whole thing. If it were me, and how I recommend that people do it is to assemble the car and take it to the dealer running. Have them diagnose an issue with fuel cut/lack of power and tell them you heard of a cam follower issue that VW has with the FSI engines. BY NO MEANS get cocky with them....makes things a lot easier if you act like a normal Joe that just drives his car and changes oil, etc. They may have you authorize a diag fee(should be less than $100) and should be forgot about if the thing goes warranty.

As for the warranty "Goodwill".....that's COMPLETELY up to the Service Manager and district rep. If you are a good service client who spends money with the dealer, etc. You will probably be able to get it easily. But if you are only there for "free" work a recalls, it may be a little harder since the Goodwill stuff is reserved more for the person that does all service work and so-on at the dealer and has a mishap outside of warranty. And usually even the BEST service customer will still have to cough up some money once out of warranty by 10K or more.

All you can do is go into the dealer with a working car and have them look at it. And by no means should you tell them you took it all apart already. Not many dealers are supportive of people who work on their own cars at home. The dealer I'm at is a little different because of the community that I support locally.....before I came here, they would laugh at people who pre-diagnosed their cars.....ESPECIALLY FSI cars!!
      -J. Hines

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any further questions and I'll try to help out as much as possible. As crazy as it sounds....had a fellow Vortex fellow drive his FSI from Connecticut to North Carolina for me to do this cam follower/"B" revision cam to his car b/c of dealing with dealers up in his area. CRAZY.......14 hours each way!!!
      Hi, thanks for the info but is this going to be announced soon? Warranty extension to 100k on cam follower and any subsequent damage due to cam follower failure. Am I best calling Audi of America? I am sure many have already. I need the follower and hpfp repair and hopefully no cam damage. Not sure if I should get the work done or keep waiting. Thanks.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast