Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rekeying lock cylinders

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 10:44 AM #1
      Hi all! When i bought my car, it had a different key for the ignition than all of the other locks (both front doors, center console, glove box, rear hatch).

I Actually tried to buy a matched set of locks / keys to replace them all on my car however the set I got ended up not being fully matched, and was missing the glove box lock.

I know that the door locks can be rekeyed pretty easily, and yes i've looked at the link on DJR's page about this and have searched.

My question is this:

Can the hatch lock, center console lock and glovebox lock be taken apart enough to be re-keyed? I've pulled the rear hatch lock mechanism out of the car and looked at it for a few minutes, but didn't see an obvious way for it to come apart to get to the actual lock cylinder. Same goes for the center console lock - haven't taken the glovebox lock out yet.

Basically, my goal with this is to be able to pull all of the lock cylinders out (except for ignition cyl) and take them with the key that goes to the ignition to a locksmith and get them all matched to my ignition key.
      '96 Golf Harlequin VR6, Chagal Blue base

Vehicles
      2004 .:R32,1994 Golf VRT
      12-20-2010 12:17 PM #2
      Easiest way I see would be to call a locksmith and just take all the cylinders with you and if the Locksmith can do then there ya go if not....might be out of luck....But im sure it can be done...

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 12:29 PM #3
      yeah like i said, i know the door locks can be easily done, i'm just concerned about getting to the actual lock cylinders for the hatch, center console and glove box locks.. looking at them, i didn't see an obvious way for them to come apart

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      12-20-2010 01:49 PM #4
      The trunk and hatch lock are easy. The way they come apart is obvious if you take the time to really look, they come right apart. It's been a while since I took them apart, and it was so simple that I didn't take the time to write it down, or try to remember. To remove the lock cylinder, all it took was the removal of a screw from the rear or a clip on the body of the trunk or hatch cylinder.

The glove box and and center console I haven't figured out. I've had them out, and I've looked at them. Just not as obvious as to how they come apart. Someone posted that he took them/had them taken apart and rekeyed, but he never explained how.

The other lock cylinder/s are in the seatbacks. I haven't figured out if they can be rekeyed, because so far, getting them out has turned out to be a one way trip. The seatback cover is attached/closed by a long zipper, and the zipper itself appears to be cut off at the end of the closing process. How do you close a zipper without the zipper itself?

I think you're going to end up with two keys, unless you're willing to pay more than I am to getting a matching set. I don't lock the seatbacks, center console, or glovebox hoping that if someone breaks into the car, they won't break the interior. Whatever you keep in the car, can't be worth the few seconds it will take to break the locks, and replacing the broken interior and lock parts will cost more than the break-in.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 02:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      The trunk and hatch lock are easy. The way they come apart is obvious if you take the time to really look, they come right apart. It's been a while since I took them apart, and it was so simple that I didn't take the time to write it down, or try to remember. To remove the lock cylinder, all it took was the removal of a screw from the rear or a clip on the body of the trunk or hatch cylinder.

The glove box and and center console I haven't figured out. I've had them out, and I've looked at them. Just not as obvious as to how they come apart. Someone posted that he took them/had them taken apart and rekeyed, but he never explained how.

The other lock cylinder/s are in the seatbacks. I haven't figured out if they can be rekeyed, because so far, getting them out has turned out to be a one way trip. The seatback cover is attached/closed by a long zipper, and the zipper itself appears to be cut off at the end of the closing process. How do you close a zipper without the zipper itself?

I think you're going to end up with two keys, unless you're willing to pay more than I am to getting a matching set. I don't lock the seatbacks, center console, or glovebox hoping that if someone breaks into the car, they won't break the interior. Whatever you keep in the car, can't be worth the few seconds it will take to break the locks, and replacing the broken interior and lock parts will cost more than the break-in.

i had my hatch lock out but prob didn't look as closely at it as i keep telling myself i did, it was cold and my fingers were getting numb at that point.

I'm guessing the seat-back locks are on a jetta? my golf doesn't have those.

Hopefully if i look at the center console lock and glovebox lock for long enough i'll actually figure out how to get the cylinders out. If/when I figure it out, i'll post up how to do it.

After I put my hatch lock back in, i somehow wasn't able to open the hatch by just pushing the button in; i had to put the key in push and turn to open it.. guess i didnt get some of the linkage hooked back up right.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      12-20-2010 03:21 PM #6
      I'm not saying that they don't all have seatback locks.

But every MKIII Jetta and Golf I've ever seen has had them.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 03:33 PM #7
      weird.. i haven't noticed any locks on the backs of my seats... do they lock the seat from folding down to access the trunk or ___ (insert alternate reason for a lock here)

Vehicles
      95 2.0 gti
      12-20-2010 03:58 PM #8
      You can go to VW and get the cylinders, my buddy had to do it for his doors becuase he dropped a couple. They are numbered so make sure to get the right ones that fit your key.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 09:25 PM #9
      ok so i'm tinkering with my rear hatch lock, trying to get the key cylinder out enough to actually re-key the lock...

i got it apart a good but, but am down to this point and can't get the actual lock cylinder out. Any ideas?

here's what i'm down to on the REAR HATCH Lock

a view down the top/inside of the piece i'm looking at:

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 09:46 PM #10
      OK scratch the above post... it seems to me that you have to have the correct key inserted into the lock to remove it from the piece i have pictured.

my problem right now is that i can't tell for sure if i have it put back together correctly or not, haha.. go stupid me for taking two of them apart and not putting one back together first.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 10:14 PM #11
      looks like the 'new' lock cylinder I have, doesn't match the key i got to go with it.. i'll be getting this one re-keyed

went on to tinkering with the center-console lock, looks like there are 4 plastic fingers holding that cylinder into the mechanism. I can't seem to get a good grasp on a way to pop them all out at the same time to remove the lock cylinder..

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-20-2010 10:35 PM #13
      Thank you oh wise one!

I actually looked at that yesterday; problem is I have to get the key cylinders all out before i can actually change out the tumblers. I've gotten the front doors and rear hatch figured out so far. still eyeballing the center console, and haven't taken the glove box one out yet..

Vehicles
      93 Golf 2.0/96 Golf 2.0/07 GTI 2.0(t)
      12-20-2010 10:46 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by dceola View Post
      weird.. i haven't noticed any locks on the backs of my seats... do they lock the seat from folding down to access the trunk or ___ (insert alternate reason for a lock here)
      I believe that they are usually only in jettas and not golfs/GTIs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that they are so you can't get into the trunk. I have the locks in my golf because I pulled my seats from a jetta :p

Vehicles
      '94 Jetta 2.0 16v
      12-21-2010 12:09 AM #15
      When I was in Autobody, I used to re-key the cars myself.

With the lock cylinders out, put the key in. You'll notice some of the pins are sticking ABOVE the actual cylinder. Just take a dremel, and shave any pin that is sticking up. Once all the pins are flush, the new key will work perfectly.

I've done this to Fords, Audi, VW, BMW's, etc... pretty much all cars work the same way.
      Pro Patria

Making power, 4 valves at a time.
      MkIII 16v Club.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      12-21-2010 05:08 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ibanezguy19 View Post
      I believe that they are usually only in jettas and not golfs/GTIs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that they are so you can't get into the trunk. I have the locks in my golf because I pulled my seats from a jetta :p
      May be the model level. All of the Golf GLs I seen in wecking yards, as well as my onw 95 Golf GL have locks on the seatback. Like on the Jettas, they're there to secure the trunk compartment.

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-21-2010 08:59 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Sallad View Post
      When I was in Autobody, I used to re-key the cars myself.

With the lock cylinders out, put the key in. You'll notice some of the pins are sticking ABOVE the actual cylinder. Just take a dremel, and shave any pin that is sticking up. Once all the pins are flush, the new key will work perfectly.

I've done this to Fords, Audi, VW, BMW's, etc... pretty much all cars work the same way.

interesting... i hadn't thought of that. do the pins that aren't tall enough not need to be changed out for taller pins?

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-21-2010 09:00 AM #18
      May be the model level. All of the Golf GLs I seen in wecking yards, as well as my onw 95 Golf GL have locks on the seatback. Like on the Jettas, they're there to secure the trunk compartment.
      i double checked for seatback locks on mine and couldn't find any. I believe the Harlequin is basically just a GL model...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      12-21-2010 02:12 PM #19
      So you've checked next to the release knobs on the seatback/s for low spots with a slot, where the key can be inserted, and you can't find any?

Vehicles
      96 Golf Harlequin
      12-21-2010 02:16 PM #20
      So you've checked next to the release knobs on the seatback/s for low spots with a slot, where the key can be inserted, and you can't find any?
      yeah, i see nothing. each side of my seat back just has the golf-tee looking pin that you pull up to release it. either way, i'm not too worried about those, if it is there.

i need to figure out how to get the cylinder out of the center console mechanism... im sure with enough thin/small prying devices i can pop it out, kinda worried about breaking it though. will prob pull the glovebox mechanism out tonight and see what it looks like.

Vehicles
      2003 20th Anniversary GTI, 1966 Variant, 1976 Bunny, 1996 GTI VR6, 1991 Variant
      12-21-2010 04:35 PM #21
      You can actually go to a fabric store & buy just the zipper pull portion & re-zip covers back onto the frames. I had to do that when I swapped a cover over from a bent frame. Not as tough as it sounds. I'll see if I can find info on what size I used.

As for rear seat locks on Golf/GTIs; that doesn't make any sense. You would be able to remove the cargo cover with hardly any effort. Right?
      Mike S. SacWater
      '03 20th Anniversary - '96 GTI VR6
      '91 B3 Variant - '76 Mk1 - '66 T3 Variant
      *Duc*Duc*Hawk(GT)*
      The Ranch Run - Wuste "Cogito, ergo zoom!" RIP David E.

Vehicles
      93 Golf 2.0/96 Golf 2.0/07 GTI 2.0(t)
      12-21-2010 06:03 PM #22
      My original seats in my 93 didn't have the locks but the 93 was also like a transition model and some of the styling and features were different than my 96. That could be why it had no seat locks.