VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Bring back to life my cabrio!

15K views 94 replies 26 participants last post by  CajunSpike 
#1 ·
I bought this cabrio on October for 500 because I don't like seeing volkwswagen going to the scraper. I knew it was going to take time and money but it was done out of love. Here are some pics of the process. 2 months and 2 grand later I think we are about half way. Hope you like it.

First day

Interior

Exterior (upper frame horn replacement)

New OEM Fender and Hood

Closer to paint

How she sits today

Mechanics

See less See more
#4 ·
They are seat fabric replacement. Seats were re upholstered by a local shop. I think they did a great job. And what's best is that it is actual leather! Shop owner is lifelong friends with my parents and that leather was ordered for another customer that never paid so he offered it to me no cost! I just paid for labor!

#7 ·
Thanks!
It is in process but I hopw it should be ready for early February.

It has been raining like crazy here and I haven't been able to work on her that much for the past week and a half, although I'm dying to get back at it.

As of know it is waiting for the paint process to begin.

As far as the engine bay...It doesn't look that good from the inside since you can see a new upper frame horn has been welded in but shaving the engine bay is a project that is going to be tackeld early summer, if I ever decide to go through so so much trouble for something that is most never gonna be seen. It is gonna be a DD not a show car so.....I think the bay would stay like that :laugh:

Here is how she sat yesterday...

#10 ·
Love the interior.

Did you keep the badge recess on the trunk because you like it? Just curious because so many people shave it before a respray

#11 ·
Honestly....this may sound weird..but I didn't actually think of it. I was thinking of putting on working order and then do some customizing. So I guess I'll keep the badge.

On the other hand I'm not that into debaging cars although I know it looks good it is actually a mod that doesn't seem like worth the effort, as little as it may be

#13 ·
I don't know man, ever since you posted your first question regarding the badge I have been doubting my decision of keeping it. Yet I swear it never crossed my mind! Damn my ADD!

I have owned several classic beetles and hate it when I buy one that has had its moldings or emblems shaved. I guess that is why I never thought about it. Even though I dislike it on my classic beetle I sorta like debadged mk3. But I guess it is to late now, on the other hand I carry the badge with pride.

Volkswagen till death!

I also got my bumpers and moldings painted today and started putting the odds and ends back on the car.

While writing this I have not been able to take that damn badge of my mind! Let's see what happens but if I debadge it it will be YOUR fault! :D

#14 ·
While writing this I have not been able to take that damn badge of my mind! Let's see what happens but if I debadge it it will be YOUR fault! :D
Sorry!. If THAT happens, I'll buy you a beerz at either Waterfest or H20I.

#15 ·
I wish I could assist either of those but living in San Juan, Puerto Rico will make it hard for me to drive there. :D

But I have an uncle that lives in Silver Spring, MD so I might make it this year at least to meet a couple of you guys.

If your ever come by the island let me know I'll show you around.

Don't those tail lights look like hella magic color all reds ?

#20 ·
started assembling the interior and putting what ever is left back on the car. Hope to be finished tomorrow. New black dash is going in tomorrow thanks to a friend that's lending me a hand!

put this one to see how they look..... Still not sure on them

first of all! Nice ****ing job.... U know we will mod the s..t! Out these cabrio. You have a great pal and another brother for me. Tomorrow early to the shop sou we can put that black dash on it.... Nice work jose.....

#21 ·
New dash went in on sunday as expected. Boy that's a project! Still need to connect all the bits and piece like ac controls and all the button etc but the outcome of changing the dash was amazing it looks like NEW! Can't wait to finish setting up the interior!

That's my bro hiding behind the windshield, he made it happen.

But more importantly today is the first day she sleeps at home. I must have gone downstairs and opened the garage about a dozen times.

I feel like when I got my first car. Can't stop looking at it. Well that's it for now gotta go downstairs.......:D

#26 ·
A little up date. having been up to much lately but a couple of things have been done. Brakes were all refreshed new drums, shoes, brake hardware, pads up front, all dash components have been installed And I scored a black used carpet which has also been cleaned the hell out off. Also new wheels and tires have been installed and suspension will be going on on Saturday.

On to pics!

Carpet Before

Carpet After

Right Side Wheel

Left Side Wheel

Suspension will be going on on Saturday!

I pretty much hope I'll have her ready in no longer than two weeks! Let's hope so!

#29 ·
PK!
I really admire your mk3 so your vote of approval is awesome!
As far as fogs and dummies......
For now I am not going to get to fancy just oem fogs and oem dummies. I have both euro bumpers (still need bumper bar and rad support) that I'll throw at it eventually then I plan on getting funky with the fogs and dummies.

Euro bumpers won't be installed until I get some oem fender flares and oem textured moldings.

As for the side markers I am getting clear in the meantime. The fender emblems have been ordered but will eventually be changed for repeaters.

An the boot....it is on the list... just a couple of things before it.

Next weekend I will shave the trunk so I need the money for materials. Since oct last year some K's have been dropped into the car so I just want to drive it for a while before putting some more into it.

#31 ·
haah thanks man
the GTI is in my garage right now about to undergo some surgery :pic:

honestly, i'd like euro bumpers and all the other crap to make it baller, but that's the GTI's place.
I think clear side markers will set your car off right since you'll be putting clear tails.
stock clear fogs, dummies and turns and it's pimp :thumbup:

If you don't like/want the bra, give it to me! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.